Trying to plan trip to Cedar Point

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Re: Trying to plan trip to Cedar Point

Postby hoppedup » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:31 am

Breakers is ideal and the best option if you'd like a break during your day. If I weren't already a platinum pass holder, I might consider it for the early entry. Cedar Point is huge. We walked 12+ miles on a recent trip. So if you aren't used to walking a lot in the heat, Breakers would be great for the rest/nap option.

The early entry afforded to platinum pass holders and guests staying at a CP property is awesome. You can get at least one ride on all the best coasters with minimal lines. Wait to buy your FL+. They sell them at several merch stores in the park, so don't stand in line at the one by the front gate. If you go on weekday in late August like I did last year, you might find you can ride all the coasters (many with re-rides) in one day.

If you don't stay at Breakers, or are getting early entry from the other property, or even if you are doing none of that but want to hit Maverick and Steel Vengeance first, use the entrance by Magnum. Get there early and walk around the main entrance to the right. There is a sign for the 'Boardwalk'. Walk past Breakers and hook a left. Go across the parking lot and cross the street to entrance. It is a little more than 3/4 of a mile from the front row of standard parking, so allow a little time if you use an alternate entrance. Use the marina entrance if you want to ride Valravn and Millennium Force first, or Raptor really. Use the beach entrance if you want to ride Gatekeeper or Wicked Twister first (but why would you?) I have only used the Magnum gate (Resort Entrance on CP map), so I'm not sure the other two alternate entrances are always open.

We used FL+ on our one day trip a couple of weeks ago. Our longest wait for Steel Vengeance was about 15 minutes. The regular line at that time was listed at 135 minutes on the app. Currently weekdays and Sundays appear to be $85/110 for FL/FL+ and $105/155 for Saturdays. FL prices start dropping the third week of August, according to the current pricing calendar. I'll assume you are not a platinum pass holder since you've never been to a Cedar Fair park, but at CP you can buy FL+ for FL price if you are. Saved me $50 on a recent Sunday.
Parks: 21 | Coasters: 142 | Wood: 39 | Steel: 102 | Fiberglass: 1

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:32 pm

Fast Lane + is very much recommended at the end of July, as it's always busy that time of year. The first hour is really great, even if you'll have FL+ the rest of the day.

I generally stay offsite in a cheap but acceptable hotel, then get a Platinum Pass. It gives you Fast Lane + for the regular Fast Lane price, plus one hour early entry, plus parking, plus waterpark admission too. Best deal there is if you're going multiple days.
Last edited by ytterbiumanalyst on Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:50 am.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby CenturyFlyer » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:48 pm

Just a couple things, since I'm planning my first trip in a little more than a month:

I've heard some things about the "Magnum Gate." Assuming this is available for the general public (not just hotel guests), would it be a better option than the main gate to get SV, Maverick, etc. earlier?

What is a good time to get to the park? If it opens at 10, say, do they let people in a few minutes early?

We're thinking of driving to the park, staying overnight, and coming back the next day. If we stayed at an on-site hotel, would we be able to get Early Entry for that day without checking in at the hotel first? Is there a will-call or something?

Any answers are greatly appreciated.
There is only one true Blue Streak!

Postby bert425 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:18 pm

"Magnum Gate" is aka: the Resort Gate - as I believe it was mainly intended for those guests at Breakers (and those using the waterpark) to get into the main park.
However, it is NOT a restricted gate, and since they built the boardwalk extension, they are encouraging folks to walk down from the main gates to use the Magnum gate if so inclined.

yes, it will put you out at the back of the park. Closest to Maverick/Steel Vengeance.

keep in mind, anyone with a Platinum Pass and/or staying on site, gets in an hour early, so there will be people lined up regardless of what time you arrive, if you don't have early access entry.

for early entry, I'd think for sure they'd want you to show your early entry pass - that you'd get from the hotel. but I don't know for sure. My guess is you'd at least have to swing by the hotel to get the pass first before going to the park. I've never stayed at Breakers Express, but at Hotel Breakers, they had no issue giving us the early entry paper/pass prior to our room being ready.

hope that helps.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby CenturyFlyer » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:09 am

Thanks, that answers all of my questions! Not to be a broken record, but since the Resort Gate isn't restricted, does that mean non-hotel guests can circle around and park in the lot next to it?
There is only one true Blue Streak!

Postby bert425 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:25 am

CenturyFlyer wrote:Thanks, that answers all of my questions! Not to be a broken record, but since the Resort Gate isn't restricted, does that mean non-hotel guests can circle around and park in the lot next to it?

Nope - there is a security booth there just under Magnum - if you aren't a hotel guest, they won't let you proceed under Magnum to the lot you're talking about. The Waterpark lot is over there too (if not mistaken), but since Waterpark won't be open that early, don't think they let you back over there.

that's, I'm sure, part of the reason they extended the boardwalk - so guests can walk down from front lot parking.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby coasterbill » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:28 am

The lot is before the booth. You can park there but I usually just park in the main lot and walk because traffic on Perimeter Road is known to suck getting out. We've been burned a few times with that.

Plus, it's a nice walk. We like the boardwalk a lot.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby RollerManic » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:21 am

Came here to say this ^. They're going to check you.

But, we stayed at Breakers and parked in the lot and it was like having preferred parking because ... it pretty much is.

If I were you, I would just get a room at Breakers. The amenities and perks are so worth it. We did the math and at least a few weeks ago, the price to stay at Breakers vs. a decent hotel on the mainland was about the same - staying on the mainland actually would cost more in the end after you factor paying parking for two days vs. free [premium!] parking. Cedar Point is huge, and having access to the back of the park was such a life-saver. You don't want to hit the front of the park early, anyway.

We are not passholders and we NEVER (I repeat, NEVER) buy Fastpass at any park we go to and with early entry, we were able to get more than our help of rides of Maverick Steel Vengeance. Both also had short lines at the end of the day but that was more just our luck. We were more than able within two days to do everything we wanted; just follow the general advice given anywhere for Cedar Point - do the back first, come back to the front after lunch, and know the rides that never get a line (Magnum).

We only stayed one night at Breakers, but even on the second day after checkout they let us keep our car in the lot and we just walked out of the park and pinic'ed out the trunk whenever we got hungry.

My father is to the age now where he never stays in parks for a full day anymore. He's all about going in the morning, taking a nap midday, and returning in the evening which was the greatest amenity Breakers offered us - the ability to do that in an actual bed, and be back in the park in five minutes. We also got rained on, and so having the hotel right there was a super convenient way to stay dry (FYI - rides at the Point just aren't worth it in any amount of precipitation - it's going to hurt and there's nothing you can do about it - we tried). And at the end of the day, you could relax your muscles in the hot tub or on the beach. Be prepared for a lot of walking when at Cedar Point - we walked eleven miles each day.

Also, waking up in Cedar Point, proper, on property, before most guests are even allowed on the peninsula and seeing sunrise over the world's best coasters is something every enthusiast needs to do in their life at least once. It's also so relieving to know that all you have to do is get up and walk into the park in the morning - no headaches getting there and having to park.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby RCjunkie » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:49 am

And if your looking for food outside of the park right down the road from the park on Cleveland Road is the Brick Oven Bistro. It is the pizza oasis for Sandusky.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby cparkes92 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:29 pm

RCjunkie wrote:And if your looking for food outside of the park right down the road from the park on Cleveland Road is the Brick Oven Bistro. It is the pizza oasis for Sandusky.

I've never heard of Brick Oven Bistro, but there are two other good local pizza places I have been to:
Cameo Pizza on Monroe St, west of downtown Sandusky (and west of OH-4)
Chet and Matt's Pizza on Strub Rd, just east of US-250 (Strub is the third light on 250 after the Butler entrance)
Top 10 steel: Steel Vengeance, Millennium Force, Maverick, Mako, Incredible Hulk, Banshee, Diamondback, Raptor, SheiKra, Montu
Top 10 wood: Mystic Timbers, Shivering Timbers, Beast, Racer (KI), Viper, American Eagle, Woodstock Express, Blue Streak (CP), Mean Streak (RIP), Wolverine Wildcat

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!