Trying to plan trip to Cedar Point

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Trying to plan trip to Cedar Point

Postby klsmith » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:00 pm

Hello,
I am new here... I am just starting my research to plan a trip to Cedar Point. I am hoping someone can answer a few questions....
Myself (44) and my son (15) are ride junkies and I am thinking of spending 2 full days at CP. I am not interested in the water park.
Is 2 days enough? I am assuming that the Fast Lane Plus would be recommended. Do I have to purchase in advance or should I wait? I am nervous about buying in advance and my luck it rains and storms, and everything closes?
Is there a crowd calendar? I was looking the very last week of July, fly in Sunday and fly out Wednesday.

Is there a real advantage for staying on the grounds other than, you don't have to worry about parking and you can get inside 1 hour before hand? I am thinking that if I have the FL plus, then won't need to really worry about getting there a hour earlier.

My only experience is Disney, Universal and a few Six Flags locations. Any answers and thoughts, would be appreciated.

I found a two day pass is about 77pp, I am assuming that is probably the best value right now.

Thanks,
Kristy Smith
New Orleans

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Trying to plan trip to Cedar Point

Postby klsmith » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:18 am

Ok... Maybe I should ask, if there a website that you would recommend that I could get some help on planning a trip?

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:50 am

Sorry, we've been really busy prepping for trips right now. I'm moving this to the main forum to see if you can get some other members to help.

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby Invertalon » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:04 am

Kristy,

Two days is enough, especially if you get Fastlane (and still even enough without). Even one day could be enough with FL+ depending on what you like to do and see. But I would say CP is a two-day park if you never have been before. This way, things aren’t as hectic and you can enjoy your time a bit more.

Buy your FL+ the day you are there. I NEVER have seen them “sold out”. This way, you can see how the crowds are and get it if you need it. The only time I would ever suggest someone pre-buy FL is if they plan to go during Halloweekends on a Saturday.

No crowd calendar… Expect it to be busy. How busy? Nobody knows. Very weather dependent. I have had DEAD days in July or even August, and packed days in May or June. It’s a busy park usually all of the time, so just assume it will be when you go.

You are correct, no real advantage from staying on-site then early entry if you need/want it. However, location and such is a nice perk. Not many decent hotels around the immediate area.
-Steve

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:16 am

klsmith wrote:Hello,
I am new here... I am just starting my research to plan a trip to Cedar Point. I am hoping someone can answer a few questions....
Myself (44) and my son (15) are ride junkies and I am thinking of spending 2 full days at CP. I am not interested in the water park.
Is 2 days enough? I am assuming that the Fast Lane Plus would be recommended. Do I have to purchase in advance or should I wait? I am nervous about buying in advance and my luck it rains and storms, and everything closes?
Is there a crowd calendar? I was looking the very last week of July, fly in Sunday and fly out Wednesday.

Is there a real advantage for staying on the grounds other than, you don't have to worry about parking and you can get inside 1 hour before hand? I am thinking that if I have the FL plus, then won't need to really worry about getting there a hour earlier.

My only experience is Disney, Universal and a few Six Flags locations. Any answers and thoughts, would be appreciated.

I found a two day pass is about 77pp, I am assuming that is probably the best value right now.

Thanks,
Kristy Smith
New Orleans

my 2cents.

100% worth it to spend the $$ and stay on property (Breakers would be my preferred over the budget option). Both will get you early entry to the park, but Breakers is *right there* and SO easy to walk from the park to your room during the day for: a quick break, change of shoes, get food (stock the mini fridge in your room). the convenience of being able to walk to your room during the middle of a long day? priceless. Only way I'll do CP these days.

you can get park tix package (some of them even offer FL+ if I'm not mistaken, from Breakers.. check online to see what room/park/passes options). FL+ is absolutely worth it, as that includes the coasters you really are going to want to re-ride (Maverick, Valravn, among them).

https://www.cedarpoint.com/stay/hotel-breakers?gclid=CjwKCAjw04vpBRB3EiwA0Iieali67UQB6mbJKK4hckwt3zNG7tODVBqjwRwnDT-H0nxL4c0r4A_dFRoCV8sQAvD_BwE

it's a very large park so you're gonna do a lot of walking. having the room so close is a huge benefit.

I've never bothered with the water park in either of my trips, so I'd say it's fine to skip and you'll have a great time regardless. . tho "waterpark" people might think otherwise. Hotel Breakers has Pools/Hottubs (and a bar with waitstaff service to them), so that was good enough for me.

Food wise, as noted, I'd stock up the mini-fridge with snacks. . but onsite at Breakers is Perkins (great for breakfast), in the park is Melt! (great for lunch, but with HUGE sandwiches, so either be prepared to share - or take leftovers back to your room before going back onto rides), and out the Marina Gate (by ValravN) is Famous Dave's - fantastic BBQ

the coasters are the main draw, but don't miss some stellar flats while at CP: Troika, MaXair, Cedar Downs (incredibly unique "racing" carousel), the Monster (octopus), and the screaming swing ride (can't recall the name).

hope this helps a little?
have fun!
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:16 am

I advise at least one day with Fast Lane Plus. You can hit all the FL rides that day, and use the second day for anyother attractions that interest. You also get early entry if you stay at the resort.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby SoCalJasonland » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:31 am

Two days with Fastlane should be good enough to ride everything. All of July is very busy and attendance will not drop off until mid-August. As you can see from the current wait times that some of the better coasters can be one to two hours without Fastlane on a Monday morning. If you stay on property you also get into the park a little early but I have no idea how much that is worth it to you.
Screenshot (140).png
I love to roam where the wild things are.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Pedrinho » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:50 am

My 0.02 $..

It's utterly depending on how soon you'll be returning and how much you want to invest. We came from Germany and don't know when to return, so we did three full days (and get a fourth afternoon ticket for free) and hat one day FL+.
We were there Monday through Thursday and it was well worth it.
cfc is right, with one day FL+ and (an) additional day(s) you'll normally be able to have multiple rides on every ride you'll see. Our third day was only "OK, what do we want to ride again? Where are short lanes?" We also wouldn't have hesitated to buy another FL+ if neccessary, it was so worth it the one day we had it.
We also stayed on property, if that's interesting for you. We sometimes went to our rooms midday, when crowds got heavy and the sun burnt. When the park is open from 9am to 11pm, you can "waste" two hours napping easily, the more you can ride at night.
Top: Wood: Beast|Mystic Timbers|Wodan|Twister|Phoenix; Dive: Valravn; Wing: Flug der Dämonen|GateKeeper; Launch: Top Thrill Dragster|Karacho; Floorless: Rougarou; Invert: Banshee|Raptor|Monster; Bob: Flying Turns; <200ft: Expedition GeForce|Maverick; >200ft: Magnum XL-200; >300ft: Millennium Force; Mine: Colorado Adventure; Boomerang: Raik; Hybrid: Cyclone
Bucket List: Steel Vengeance|FLY|Formula Rossa|Blue Gemini|Colossos|Kennywood|Hersheypark

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby dmh1079 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:57 am

I definitely recommend Hotel Breakers for the location and convenience, as well as the early entry. If you're looking for something a little more budget-friendly, Cedar Point also owns the CP Express Hotel, which is on the mainland, just off of the peninsula. So it's a few-minutes to drive to CP but still gives you the benefit of 1-hour early entry.

As far as Fast Lane +, it will be crowded but certainly during the week will be less crowded than weekends. I would not purchase it ahead of time. Maybe even just power through the first day without one and then evaluate if you want to buy one for the second day. You will have early entry so you can knock out some of the rides with the longest waits in the park (Steel Vengeance, Maverick, and Millennium Force - if time allows). The cost varies by day, but for a summer weekday Fast Lane + can be upwards of $120-150.

If your schedule allows and you can push your trip dates a few weeks, crowds should be lighter. A lot of Ohio schools start going back in session around the weeks of August 12 or 19.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby tndank » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:24 am

Breakers Express is a 3 minute drive from the CP parking lot. Not 4* nice but very adequate. So, if you want to save a few bucks over Breakers and still get early entry, that is another option. No trams or shuttles unfortunately.

I did my first trip in 20+ years earlier this summer. It's a bit larger than I was expecting. You'll do some walking.

Showed 100% chance of rain one of the days. Rained for an hour around 11. That was probably the best day I had out of the 4. Crowd was light. I rode MF about 6 times in the rain with the exit gate open before they ultimately closed it for a bit due to the storm. Then it never rained again. So, don't get discouraged by the weather reports leading up to your trip.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!