2019 Adventures Photo TR

Six Flags New England Added!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: 2019 Adventures Photo TR

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:52 am

Great report!

That's a bummer about the Prof. Hacker Golf Course. I was always intrigued by the train and the volcano, but the course in Amish Country had minimal theming on the holes themselves. It sounds very similar at the Pigeon Forge one. I'll stick with Hillbilly Golf.

Have you been on Gold Striker? That one rides very similarly to Thunderhead if you ask me.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Knoebels & Dutch Wonderland

Postby bert425 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:00 am

that prison museum is super interesting, and added to our list for when we eventually make the trip to Dollywood.

really nice pics, and great report -- even the mini-golf with minimal theming looks fun, that "train" is charming

Edited to remove remainder of post, as I misinterpreted the intent of what I was responding to.
Last edited by bert425 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:16 pm.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:28 pm

^^I think Gold Striker and Invadr are the only two US GCI coasters I'm missing. I'm glad to hear that Gold Striker rides that well! I really like Mystic Timbers, too, but it's more about fun airtime than the total insanity of changing direction every .2 seconds.

^The prison museum is awesome, they have a lot of legitimately-sourced artifacts from real prisons and crime scenes. I will say it gets very "text heavy" as the tour goes on (theres tons of walls with stories), but still very interesting stuff. Also, not trying to pick a fight with you. I wasn't putting a disclaimer to the censored profanity, I was referring to the fact that those photos are of real instruments-of-torture and/or punishment and execution that have been used on real prisoners in the past.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby ScreaminNewEngland » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:53 pm

bert425 wrote:but disclaimer: if you believe that using an expletive (and censoring it) is anywhere NEAR the same as, and I quote:

"Lightning Rod can jizz all over my face and I'd be sticking my tongue out."

yeah, you're kidding yourself.

but hey, I'm not a Mod, so my opinion holds no more sway that any other non-mod poster. . . I'm only noting an observation

"Disclaimer! You need a sense of humor to view our site,
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!
"- TPR on the bottom of every page

Awesome report! I agree with you on Thunderhead. I feel like that and Renegade aren't given the credit they deserve compared to rides like Prowler and Mystic.

LR is also one of my absolute favorite rides, probably my #1 when Vengeance's MCBR is hitting hard.
Yankee Cannonball <3

Postby bert425 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:11 pm

ScreaminNewEngland wrote:
bert425 wrote:but disclaimer: if you believe that using an expletive (and censoring it) is anywhere NEAR the same as, and I quote:

"Lightning Rod can jizz all over my face and I'd be sticking my tongue out."

yeah, you're kidding yourself.

but hey, I'm not a Mod, so my opinion holds no more sway that any other non-mod poster. . . I'm only noting an observation

"Disclaimer! You need a sense of humor to view our site,
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!
"- TPR on the bottom of every page

from Terms of Service post - stickied to the top of the forum:

3. Objectionable material will be deleted! This goes for any photos, files, posts, etc that include obscene gestures, offensive language, etc. Basically keep it clean, or, keep it "PG-13."
Last edited by bert425 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:19 pm.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby bert425 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:13 pm

xVicesAndVirtues wrote:^The prison museum is awesome, they have a lot of legitimately-sourced artifacts from real prisons and crime scenes. I will say it gets very "text heavy" as the tour goes on (theres tons of walls with stories), but still very interesting stuff. Also, not trying to pick a fight with you. I wasn't putting a disclaimer to the censored profanity, I was referring to the fact that those photos are of real instruments-of-torture and/or punishment and execution that have been used on real prisoners in the past.

My biggest regret from Philly is that we didn't get to do the prison tour there, as I love that kind of stuff. .and as you note, it's very interesting stuff.

fair enough on your disclaimer, I misread your intention, and will edit my above comment.

my apologies.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:38 pm

It's okay, Bert, I have 'em permission to use the word jizz since it's in my title and I have that power :lol:

Great report! I share your love for all you mentioned about Dollywood, mostly Thunderhead in the back seat and it's so awesome how each of their coasters are just...quality. The sense of humor + story + pictures has made this one of my favorite trip reports this year! Looking forward to the next one.
{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

Postby bert425 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:51 pm

PKI Jizzman wrote:It's okay, Bert, I have 'em permission to use the word jizz since it's in my title and I have that power :lol:

:lmao:

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:58 pm

<<jizz jizz jizz>>

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:36 pm

Getting my 2019 season off to a great start, on the last weekend in April, I scored a pretty good flight deal to/from Richmond, Virginia. That meant that I could spend my Saturday at,

Busch Gardens Williamsburg

This was my first visit to this park in quite a long time, I believe my last visit was in 2012. Since then, there's been some major changes and shake-ups to SEAS management, in addition to two new coasters. Back then, Mach Tower was either new or new-ish, and still experiencing growing pains. How was the park holding up after all these years?

In one word: mostly great. I was happy to see that the BGW I remembered and loved is still going strong. It was pretty busy on this day, so we opted for Quick Queue, which got us on everything we wanted to ride multiple times. Also, the chain recently started selling Platinum passes for a great price, so we were able to upgrade our Florida parks passes to this new level and get the entire chain included. However, there were still some slightly hot-mess, Six Flagsy things we encountered that could easily be remedied with better staff training.
001.jpg
Upon arrival around noon, it was clear that this was going to be a busy day. The parking lot lanes were all open and about 6-8 cars deep in every lane.
002.jpg
After careful investigation, it has been determined that fun does, indeed, begin here.
003.jpg
Upon entering the front gates, you go through the England section of the park, which is one of the most beautiful front entry areas of any park. As you can see, it was pretty darn busy this day.
004.jpg
Before we even get into talking about the rides and coasters here, let this blurry photo remind us of how beautiful Busch Gardens Williamsburg is
005.jpg
Moving on and across the bridge, in front of you is what may be the best coaster at BGW, Verbolten!
006.jpg
Warning: A classic Porsche 911 Targa was harmed in the making of this ride
007.jpg
"We're glad you've escaped zee forest!"

Early in the day, Verbolten was running only one station. Merging Quick Queue and the main queue was kind of a hot mess, as people grudgingly didn't want Quick Queue people to get in front of them. This could have easily been solved by the attendant just holding the line.

The ride, however, is really awesome. I rode it when it was relatively new years ago, but we got probably 6-8 rides this visit, all of which were totally awesome and I forgot how good this coaster was. The launches are great, there's some good forces, and the drop track in the dark is genuinely terrifying!
008.jpg
An example of how this park's setting and theming just make it top-notch. The only parks I've seen that compare in terms of "park" quality of flowers, shrubbery, trees, etc are in Europe.
009.jpg
We decided to eat inside the FestHaus, where we'd find another hot mess in terms of employee training quality. Both sides were open for this food area, but guests weren't being directed, so one side was completely full, the other completely empty. Then, despite being fully staffed, the employees seemed more concerned with having conversations and chilling out, and it took like 3-4 employees to decide who was going to actually help us.

The food, however, was of great quality. Unfortunately, I didn't get a photo
010.jpg
On my last visit, Curse of DarKastle was still a thing. I knew it was gone, but seeing the empty building made me wish it were still around.
011.jpg
Next up was the huge classic B&M invert, Alpengeist. The area around this coaster is so pretty, I wish I had taken a theming photo
012.jpg
I know we're spoiled in our world of Jojo rolls, outward-banked hills, and crazy enlongated, hangtime-filled elements nowadays, but I really love a good vertical loop, and Alpengeist's loop is just f*cking massive
013.jpg
So Alpengeist starts with that enormous drop, giant vertical loop, an immelman, and then a cobra roll that kicks you in the face so hard it nearly slaps you silly. The first half of this coaster is hard to beat. However, I've always felt that the MCBR just saps too much speed and keeps this otherwise great invert in the middle of the pack. Can we petition to replace the MCBR with a small launch or something?! If it went through the final elements the way it does the first half, this would be my favorite invert.
014.jpg
Next, we walked over to ride Griffon, the only B&M Dive Machine to feature the crazy wide 10-across trains (I think).

When you ride an edge on this coaster, you're wayyy out there. To the point where, honestly, I was a total pussy b*tch and let my friend have the edge every time. No ma'am!

Also, this may not be the most popular opinion and I haven't been on Yukon Striker yet, but I think Griffon is the best Dive Machine. Griffon and Sheikra seem to throw you into the drop in the back row that none of the others seem to.
015.jpg
Next, I'd finally get to ride InvadR for the first time. I went into this coaster with zero expectations, since it seemed to be universally panned on here. I loved it! We rode in the back row and it hauled ass through the entire course, kind of the way White Lightning at Fun Spot seems to. Really fun small woodie, plus the benefit of riding Gwazi trains on something you can actually enjoy!
016.jpg
So, unfortunately, this is another spot I have to report a bit negatively on. See, here's the Quick Queue entrance sign for InvadR. We had Quick Queue, so we entered here. However, when we got up to the exit, which is where the ramp sends you, the employee there told us that "there's no Quick Queue for this ride". I pointed her to where the sign was, and she basically gave me a dismissive, tough sh*t answer of, "Well, it's not ready yet, come back next week and maybe it'll be ready then", and then told us we had to use the main queue.

We honestly didn't really care and it didn't bother us, despite the main queue being about 30-40 minutes, which we ultimately waited in. But...just in terms of customer service, they should've either accommodated us or this sign should have been covered up or not installed in the first place. We weren't the only ones that this happened to.
017.jpg
At least the no-quick-queue-for-you situation had us walk underneath this cool monster statue cannon entrance thingy.
018.jpg
This photo doesn't even need a caption.
020.jpg
So, going into this trip, we knew we'd be there a week prior to Finnegan's Flyer officially opening. We saw it running with riders, so we excitedly made our way over to it, thinking we'd just scored a soft-open
022.jpg
However, when we got over there, we found it to still be walled-off and they apparently were doing some kind of employees-only preview.

This was another example of questionable choices the park made. We rode Barnstormer at Dollywood a few weeks prior and there will be other Screamin Swings in my summer travels, but this ride is right in guests' faces where the bridge/platform viewing area is, and guests were confused trying to find the entrance, and I literally laughed out loud by a kid asking his father, "Can we ride that?", and the father replying, "No, son, they're just making us watch them ride it to tease us right now"

I mean, yeah, test the new ride, but maybe offer it to employees as a cast party after hours?
023.jpg
On one side of this bridge, pretty scenery
024.jpg
On the other side, loops
025.jpg
We then made our way over to Loch Ness Monster. It's still running well despite being an older Arrow, when many Arrow loopers of the period are unbearable. However, that may be more due to the relatively simple, straightforward layout without much opportunity for coat hangers, sidewinders, and corkscrews.
026.jpg
I've always been fascinated by this ride, ever since I was a kid looking at roller coasters on the internet. Even today, the sight of Loch Ness' interlocking loops is awesome
028.jpg
We finally saw that the Skyride was open, after it had been closed down all day.

At Busch Gardens Tampa, we mostly ride the Skyride to avoid the third-degree sunburn walk over to Kumba. At Busch Gardens Williamsburg, it's an don't-miss for the great views.
029.jpg
I wish Busch Gardens Williamsburg let you bring drinks on the Skyride. Hell, they should have a beer cart where you make your selections as you're getting loaded in. The Skyride here is so relaxing and you just go across half this beautiful park, unable to stop taking photos as you take in the scenery
030.jpg
Approaching sunset, this was the best time to enjoy the surroundings
031.jpg
Again, no caption needed
032.jpg
I'll leave it at this view of Griffon from the Skyride. I think the only coaster I forgot to mention here is Apollo's Chariot, which I didn't get any good photos of. It's still running great and I'd still consider it one of the superior B&M hypers. The pre-drop is still amazing, the surprise drop at the end still surprising.

All in all, with Quick Queue and about 6-7 hours in the park, we got to ride everything we wanted 5+ times and still had enough time to eat, take in scenery, and watch some of the shows. This is a park I could visit all the time and you Virginia people are seriously lucky to have it. I can't wait to go back next year and ride the new 2020 hotness.

Oh, and one last thing: jizz.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!