TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Extinct theme park ride types

What about Calypsos and Octopuses? Waldameer had an Octopus but it was in pieces last time I was there. Cedar Point has a Cakypso, it used to be my favorite ride at Darien Lake.

I remember discussion of Waldameer's Spider being down for major repairs, but there was no mention of it being in any danger of being removed though. It's still listed on their site this summer, so sounds like it'll probably still be around for a while.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

California's Great America still has a working Calypso, and it has great ops. CGA actually has 3 Schwartzkopf flat rides that are still operating: the Calypso (Centerfuge), Orbiter (Enterprise... many of these are starting to disappear from parks), and Beserker (Bayern Kurve... only 2 left in the states, here and Kennywood).

I'd add that classic Chance Trabants are pretty rare now, and many Condors are now extinct. And my own personal Holy Grail, the Chance Turbo. Never got to ride one, although I remember many vivid memories of seeing one operate at the LA Fair, when I was too young to ride it. But I watched it for hours (well, it felt like hours, lol). I do know now a few parks had one in operation, Idora Park being most notated.

Fantasy Island has one called Devil's Hole.

Fantasy Island had a Rotor called Devil's Hole back in the 80's (possibly early 90's?). The Devil's Hole ride there now is a Wisdom Gravitron with a custom name and design. A Gravitron is different from a Rotor in that riders slide up the slanted walls on a Gravitron, whereas on a Rotor, the walls are vertical and the floor falls away leaving riders stuck in place.

Just an FYI.

Didnt Darien Lake have the last Huss Ranger until they removed it a few years ago?

They did. I remember riding it many times. Ranger was an interesting ride. It moves at around the same speed as a Zamperla Hawk model. In fact, in general, it was similar to the Hawk model. However, it was certainly a much more uncomfortable experience in a sort of nostalgic way. The ride used very thick, "heavy duty" lap bars to keep rides in. Instead of the ride unit being upon like a Zamperla Hawk, it was essentially a metal and plastic cage (just look up images of it to see what I mean by that). Above each row was a black (maybe leather?) bad. The pad was there because, when riders experienced hangtime, the heads of riders would bump into the ceiling. Being as tall as I am, this certainly added a little bit of discomfort. The worst part by far were the lapbars themselves. The lapbars came down automatically, and wow, did they come down tight. Sure, Zamperla Hawk harnesses are not exactly comfortable, but the lapbars on Rangers were certainly more painful. This was partly because of how tight the lapbars came down. However, the location of the lapbars also made it very uncomfortable. Basically, because of how thick the lapbars were, it would cover both your lap and your abdomen. So not only did this ride mildly bang your head if you were tall, but a left the ride feeling like you just did 50 sit ups (if you are upper 200 pounds, such as myself). Maybe more skinny people were not as bothered by that. However, that ride did hurt quite a bit overall. I still sort of miss it because not only was it unique, but it was my first "upside down ride" back in the day. So I do feel some nostalgia towards it. However, I still think that Roller Thunder is, at least, a slightly better version of the same concept. The harnesses may hurt a little on Roller Thunder, but at least it is almost impossible to come off with both the head and stomach feeling like it was pummeled for a couple minutes straight.

Fantasy Island has one called Devil's Hole.

Fantasy Island had a Rotor called Devil's Hole back in the 80's (possibly early 90's?). The Devil's Hole ride there now is a Wisdom Gravitron with a custom name and design. A Gravitron is different from a Rotor in that riders slide up the slanted walls on a Gravitron, whereas on a Rotor, the walls are vertical and the floor falls away leaving riders stuck in place.

Just an FYI.

giphy.gif

Aren't HUSS Topple Towers extinct (or close to)?

I know the one at Marineland has been SBNO for years now

Believe it or not, Marineland finally removed the Topple Tower during this past off season! When asked about it, the park said that there are plans to fill in that space.

Another rare ride is the Von Roll Gyro Tower, as far as I know the only one that still exists is the one at La Ronde:

dscn8040.jpg

I think the Minnesota State Fair has one? Don't quote me on that though - the construction appears quite similar, but I can't seem to find any documentation on its origin.

1149735946_ScreenShot2019-05-21at12_44_52PM.thumb.png.795206537665d5ff87292a9eeecf434a.png

Aren't HUSS Topple Towers extinct (or close to)?

I know the one at Marineland has been SBNO for years now

Believe it or not, Marineland finally removed the Topple Tower during this past off season! When asked about it, the park said that there are plans to fill in that space.

I think the one at Djurs Sommerland in Denmark still exists. Yes? No, anybody?

Nice surroundings. Painfully slow tilt and turns. I still liked it.

ToppleTowerDjursSommerland2009.jpg.6aea6c854b108385f725c2e1524f229e.jpg

Double Ferris wheels-These are not extinct, just very rare and difficult to find.

Really? According to Wikipedia they're all defunct. Not talking about the Skywheel type, but the tilting type as pictured above.

The type I am talking about is the skywheel type.

^ Skywheel, as in double ferris wheel ? There are about 4 left, I have heard. One carnival company only sets theirs up upon special request anymore. I rode the one at the Strawberry Festival in Plant City, Fla this past February. Still a lot of fun, especially the "airtime" when you go over the full rotating top. (tummy tickles)

20190304_153603.thumb.jpg.699d0b16540afe5ff99e090a1da874f7.jpg

Im pretty sure none of these exist anymore:

I got to ride the one at Hershey before they removed it, needless to say I don't remember much about it cause I was only 10 at the time. Another rare ride is the Von Roll Gyro Tower, as far as I know the only one that still exists is the one at La Ronde:

dscn8040.jpg

Hersheypark had a two arm Sky Wheel.

449705525_HersheySkyWheel.thumb.jpg.cfdcc983b44f737081d66ebbf29cbab0.jpg

• 9 months later...
Here’s two lil’ defunct gems

...Uhhhhhhh

What am I looking at? The top picture specifically.

It's basically a non-round Ferris wheel. You can see someone sitting in one of the cars on the bottom, has a yellow back, that should help you orient how it works.

Is there any Vekoma Waikiki wave flippers left or was dreamworld's the last?

Movieland Studios / Canevaworld in Italy made a portable Wakiki Wave a permanent ride, named after Tomb Raider (with permission to use that name I'm sure ). I'm not sure if Vekoma made this one or if it is a copy-cat.

Sadly the ride has been closed since the end of last season and will be removed soon.

https://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/p_192_3811_movieland_studios_tomb_raider_machine

^^ I remember there one being in Kentucky Kingdom, back in the mid-90s.

I was in Chicago for a 1995 convention, then headed down to stay with

a friend near the park. And we made it a day there, way back then.

EDIT: Found it! .....

TheQuake-SFKK.jpg.679e01bc6d5e14a4562a4c2f9663f0a2.jpg

SFKK-T2-1995.jpg.3a8ab5dad5dc518676622b019eb67be5.jpg

Also back then... original T2 newly open. Took this photo of it back in 1995 visit.

Found out it was The First One of these SLCs in the U.S.A. And we loved it!....back then. (o;

Is there any Vekoma Waikiki wave flippers left or was dreamworld's the last?

Movieland Studios / Canevaworld in Italy made a portable Wakiki Wave a permanent ride, named after Tomb Raider (with permission to use that name I'm sure ). I'm not sure if Vekoma made this one or if it is a copy-cat.

Sadly the ride has been closed since the end of last season and will be removed soon.

https://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/p_192_3811_movieland_studios_tomb_raider_machine

Add the ride type to the extinct pile then. Shame really much preferred the ride experience over a normal topspin