Why hasn't B&M gone for more than 7 inversions since 1995?

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Re: Why hasn't B&M gone for more than 7 inversions since 199

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:45 am

coasterbill wrote:
Too Fast For Comfort wrote:0-G roll is fun... not as good as the newer generations one (prefer it to me more flat to get the 0 G feeling or more of a stall to get hangtime), but fine for its era

:lol: Speak for yourself. You can keep those floaty barrel rolls or whatever. I'll take Kumba's zero G roll that tries to kill everyone on the train over any inversion I've ever experienced on any coaster ever. It's ridiculous.

I respect that. No two coaster enthusiasts have the same preferences. No hate over here for you.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:52 am

coasterbill wrote:Speak for yourself. You can keep those floaty barrel rolls or whatever. I'll take Kumba's zero G roll that tries to kill everyone on the train over any inversion I've ever experienced on any coaster ever. It's ridiculous.

Agreed. Every time I ride through Kraken's roll on an end seat and get pulled up and out a bit, I'm reminded that Kumba's roll is just on such a higher level. Nearly everything about that blasted coaster is a complete riot. It's one of only three coasters where I have had to legitimately catch my breath at the end, the other two being Skyrush and Twisted Cyclone.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:55 am

No disrespect at all, but I think you're the first person I've ever seen call Kumba and Montu not exciting. I guess they didn't really do a lot for Emily and I, but not for lack of the action packed layout. To each his own.

Postby coasterbill » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:12 pm

Too Fast For Comfort wrote:I respect that. No two coaster enthusiasts have the same preferences. No hate over here for you.

Well yeah, I wasn't anticipating this disagreement on zero-G rolls leading to a long, drawn out internet beef. I don't even know the first thing about dropping fire diss tracks. :lol:

Postby prozach626 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:15 pm

coasterbill wrote:
Well yeah, I wasn't anticipating this disagreement on zero-G rolls leading to a long, drawn out internet beef.

Liar.

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:16 pm

southpuddle wrote:B&M would build a ride with more than 7 inversions if a park wanted it.

This is exactly it. Parks either express their intended design or desired elements to a specific vendor/ride manufacturer or they open up to RFPs for designs to fill a designated plot of land or need (Energylandia did the RFP process for the coaster that ended up becoming Hyperion, with different manufacturers proposing unique designs). It comes down to the parks and their intentions... Most parks that are smart enough will also do serious surveys and guest studies to determine if a coaster of a higher intensity (like one with a high number of inversions) will suit their clientele... If it isn't going to be a draw for their primary audience, it isn't going to be worth the major investment that such an addition calls for.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Portugal needs more old-school B&M's!!!

Postby rcjp » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:39 am

coasterbill wrote:
Too Fast For Comfort wrote:0-G roll is fun... not as good as the newer generations one (prefer it to me more flat to get the 0 G feeling or more of a stall to get hangtime), but fine for its era

:lol: Speak for yourself. You can keep those floaty barrel rolls or whatever. I'll take Kumba's zero G roll that tries to kill everyone on the train over any inversion I've ever experienced on any coaster ever. It's ridiculous.

Haha agree. While I haven't been on kumba I've ridden dragon Khan and its zero g roll is by far my favourite. It's ridiculous how close you get to the actual upside down bit before even starting to twist. And then you're violently thrown around while floating out of your seat at the same time.

Overall I agree that's it's just the park's choice. I personally really like multi inversions coasters but if that's not the case with the majority of park guests then it's not worth building one
The Mr Freeze coasters should have speakers playing the sentence: "Let's kick some ice!" right before each launch

What does one say after riding a Batman clone?
The G force is strong with this one.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:33 am

You ride a Rocky Mountain coaster and everything flows so well that you don't realize you're in an inversion until you're actually upside down. You ride, say, HangTime at Knott's where you come out of a cobra roll, traditionally a half-way point of a looping coaster, right into the final brake run.

It's not that multi-inversion coasters aren't popular anymore, because they ARE still popular. It's just that the inversions themselves are now so seamlessly integrated into the layouts of this decade's new coasters.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Portugal needs more old-school B&M's!!!

Postby rcjp » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:04 pm

^They definitely still are. However, even though we have seen a few coasters break inversion records recently I'd say most modern coasters tend to feature more of a mix between inversions, airtime hills, twists and turns and so on. Which is definitely not bad. I love rides like helix which, despite having quite a lot of inversions, manage to throw a few other types of elements in there (like airtime moments).

I'm interested in finding out how steel curtain curtain turns out because, in my opinion, it's the only coaster in a few years that manages to have a lot of inversions without basically being two rides glued together (like Smiler) or having 5 of the same inversions (like the intamins)
The Mr Freeze coasters should have speakers playing the sentence: "Let's kick some ice!" right before each launch

What does one say after riding a Batman clone?
The G force is strong with this one.

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:10 pm

^I'm curious about Steel Curtain too. It really doesn't have a similar layout to any other looping coaster. It has tons of inversions, but not where it's gimmicky/repetitive (Intamin 10-loopers) or back-to-back inversions with little stuff inbetween (B&Ms). I would love for it to be successful and see S&S rise in the traditional looping coaster business.

As for B&M, if a park wanted a completely loopy coaster and had a high budget, I'm sure B&M would have no issue creating one. I think it's just a matter of demand and fitting the park's needs and price point.
Steel: 161 / Wood: 32 / Total: 193
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!