Shanghai Photo TR

Happy Valley, Shanghai Disney, & Haichang Ocean Park
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Re: Shanghai Photo TR

Postby ThemeParkJunkie51290 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:54 pm

Amazing report! =) =) =) I would love to visit this park one day, and I'm glad you had an excellent time!
ROLLER COASTERS FEAR ME BECAUSE I SHOW NO MERCY!

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby KarlaKoaster » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:34 am

Thanks for another great trip report. Disney definitely went big with Shanghai. What were the queues like? It didn't look too busy from your photos, but I know with the huge pathways it is very good at dealing with crowds there. I have a question on single rider queues (and Fast Pass too, I guess); do they skip any of the 'good bits' of the queue? I want to make sure my first rides on Pirates and Tron are memorable, so if it skips the pre-show(s) then for at least the first time I'll probably slum it in the standby queue with the great unwashed.

Thanks again, and looking forward to your Ocean Park review.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby CoasterFEV » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:17 am

SharkTums wrote:Also, did you happen to do the ropes course at Shanghai Disney? Wondering how that is holding up

Not entirely great. The two days we were there a few weeks ago they had two of the three courses closed. Heard from the team that typically one or two of the three courses are closed daily for upkeep and "other" reasons

@Looty: Completely agree on your opinions of Tron. It is a beautiful building and fantastic preshow experience - the attraction is sure to be a big hit in Orlando. I also felt the ride experience once you get inside the show building after the launch was a letdown. I swear that Robb's videos made the ride look more amazing then it actually was. I consider my experience after all the "build up" online was total "anticipointment"

Pirates is, of course, absolutely incredible. The total experience and ride system blew me away each and every time we rode the attraction. ("boats aren't supposed to do this!!!!!")
And don't forget the Pirates stunt show next door. Even though it was all in Mandarin - it is a blast! - the cast is totally into the performance and the audience loved every minute of it. Hilarious fun!

The Pirates show was completely refreshing after watching the horrible Tarzan performance nearby (note to readers - this is NOT the same show that was at DAK in Orlando). Learned later that Tarzan is contracted out to a local third party company - I think it's where Chinese acrobats go to die

I agree - great park. Immaculately clean. Was impressed with the overall guest behavior (on the two recent days I visited - I swear the guest behavior I observed was better than at the Orlando parks!). Food & Beverage in the park was horrendous - ended up eating most of our meals in Disney Town.

And, yes, the BEST Buzz Lightyear anywhere - SO much fun! SO much better then the rest! I swear we rode it and re-rode it to exhaustion!

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:56 am

^That's what I was afraid of and heard as well. We also only got to do two of the courses since one was always closed on our visit and you could see areas that were already showing wear only six months past opening.

Also, agree that the food and food options in DisneyTown is much better than what was in the park.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby Looty » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:02 pm

KarlaKoaster wrote:Thanks for another great trip report. Disney definitely went big with Shanghai. What were the queues like? It didn't look too busy from your photos, but I know with the huge pathways it is very good at dealing with crowds there. I have a question on single rider queues (and Fast Pass too, I guess); do they skip any of the 'good bits' of the queue? I want to make sure my first rides on Pirates and Tron are memorable, so if it skips the pre-show(s) then for at least the first time I'll probably slum it in the standby queue with the great unwashed.

Thanks again, and looking forward to your Ocean Park review.

Queues were very manageable both days, but I would highly suggest going during the week. Soaring will absolutely be the longest queue whichever day you visit so plan on getting a fastpass for that right away when you arrive. After that, the longest queues were for the RC Racer in Toy Story land and Seven Dwarfs, so I would actually plan on hitting RC Racer early. Perhaps head into the park and reserve a fast pass for Soaring right away and then head over to Toy Story Land.

I don't feel like I missed out on the "good bits" by using the single rider line. In fact, the single rider line for Tron was closed on my first day, but the wait was no more than 10-15 minutes all day. Outside of reserving fast passes for Soaring and Peter Pan, I found myself reserving very few fast passes. The park is just so single rider-friendly which was perfect for me....since I am single :/

Best of all, the park sells single use fast passes on the app for like $7-8. I don't remember the exact cost but it's definitely less than $10. So if you are really itching to get back on something and the fastpasses are all gone, just buy one.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby cymonster-rex » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:37 am

Does the seven dwarfs still have a single rider line?

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:17 pm

^

Seven Dwarfs was my first time on one of those. Decent, but I wouldn’t wait long for it.

Oh! Pirates, Seven Dwarfs, and Tron all feature single rider lines. Use them!
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby dsjim11 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:09 pm

Great report and pics! Thanks for sharing. Too bad Six Flags doesn't take some tips from Disney.

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby TurnOfTheCentury » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:56 pm

Great report.
I just got back from Shanghai (and Hong Kong) Disney parks, and I agree that the Pirates ride in Shanghai is absolutely outstanding. Great, great ride (enjoyed it much more than Mystic Manor, which is very good).

I LOVED the look of the Shanghai Tomorrowland, and the music was great and even somewhat eerie(?). Tron is architecturally beautiful and a really fun ride. My only "gripe" was how much braking occurred in the dark through each block brake -- it somewhat killed the momentum and the ride could have used a little more speed, but still a great ride.

Overall, the Shanghai park is great to look at, and has lots of quality rides, but it's still a little ride-lite. I understand the Chinese audience enjoys live shows and therefore there are a ton of those, but I think the park will really be outrageously good if they can add just a couple more rides, particularly a Thunder/ Grizzly Mountain or Matterhorn /Everest coaster.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:35 pm

^ I'm going to wait a few years or so, until they get some more "stuff" into the park. :wink:

Probably after 2025.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!