Hoppedup's Roller Coaster Adventures

Holiday World, KK, KI, CP!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Re: Hoppedup's Roller Coaster Adventures

Postby hoppedup » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:50 am

Next trip is in the works. Should be a good one. Anything else on this route we should take a look at? (Wild Adventures is closed for Easter Sunday)

Apr. 19 - Drive to Decatur GA to see a friend play a show
Apr. 20 - SFOG > Drive
Apr. 21 - Weeki Wachee Springs > BGT
Apr. 22 - BGT > Fun Spot Kissimmee
Apr. 23 - SWO > Fun Spot Orlando
Apr. 24 - Return to BGT or SWO or touristy stuff> drive north
Apr. 25 - Day in Savannah or Charleston
Apr. 26 - Coaster Campout at Carowinds
Apr. 27 - ERT on Fury > National Whitewater Center> Home
Parks: 21 | Coasters: 142 | Wood: 39 | Steel: 102 | Fiberglass: 1

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:03 pm

Nice Texas trip! You got all the major stuff, glad you took some tine for the history in San Antonio.

I don't know anything about the parks you're going too, sorry, but I'm glad you bumped this so I could read a trip report I missed.

Holiday World!

Postby hoppedup » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:02 am

So my daughter and I took a long weekend and hit 4 parks. First up was Holiday World.
20190621_124120.jpg

We arrived before rope drop and queued up with the crowd, with the intent of hitting The Voyage first. The theming is great in this park. I honestly didn't do a lot of research and figured the whole park was Christmas themed. First up, The Voyage. We were front car on the first train of the day. What an amazing ride! Intensity in ten cities! It was a little rough, but not painful. As we pulled back in to the station, I was snapped out of my amazement by an announcement from the operator that The Voyage would be down briefly for maintenance. Lucky we got that first train.

20190621_104807.jpg
A thing of beauty

We headed over to Thunderbird and rode both sides in the back and front. Butter smooth, but the launch really adds to the fun factor. Maggie loved the free soda stations!

20190621_102658.jpg

20190621_102747.jpg

We went back to The Voyage and the last train of the day carrying people was going up the hill. It did not reopen while we were there. Boo!
20190621_115635.jpg

Our longest wait was a 35-40 minute wait to be abused by The Legend. Seriously intense but brutal.
20190621_115056.jpg
Bring the pain!

After The Legend, I couldn't talk my daughter into doing Raven, The Voyage was down, and we'd had our fill of Thunderbird, so we headed toward Kentucky Kingdom. I really enjoyed Holiday World. I wish I could have gotten a few more rides on The Voyage, but I'm sure i'll be back at some point.

Postby hoppedup » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:21 am

We left HW and were soon at Kentucky Kingdom. We made our way back to Storm Chaser. It was fun, but we both agreed it was our least favorite of the RMC conversions we've ridden (7 total). I only took a couple of pictures at KK. I thought the park had an odd layout. Lots and lots of chain link fence. Kentucky Flyer was the only coaster running two trains. It was fun for what it is and an excellent first woodie for a noob. T3 wasn't running when we got there. It was when we were done with Lightning Run, but we didn't feel like walking back over for a potential beating.

20190621_171341.jpg

I talked Maggie into doing Thunder Run somehow. She was a little leery of woodies after The Legend. Lightning Run was a lot of fun. The airtime pops were great. It was the star of the park for us. My daughter knows nothing about the parks before we get there, and she said, "This feels like a Six Flags park." Smart girl. We were done quickly with this park as I figured we could make KI for night rides as is it was our next stop.

The other picture I took:
20190621_171152.jpg

We arrived at KI about 8:15. I saw the full parking lot and kept driving. We had FL+ already for the next day, so there was no need to deal with the crowds. Next up: Kings Island!

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby grsupercity » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:37 am

Kentucky Kingdom is not my favorite park but I love it to death. Storm Chaser and Lightning Run are top notch. Glad you are enjoying your trip
After riding Lightning Run I can not understand why parks are not lining up to buy some Hyper GTX models. That little ride rocks

Postby hoppedup » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:03 am

Day 2: Kings Island

We awoke to a steady, light rain. And the news that my daughter hadn't packed a rain jacket. We were in no hurry so we went in search of one. We had to go to three stores to actually find a jacket that was something either one of us would ever wear again. Apparently the recent weather caused a run on rain gear.

After a hearty breakfast at The Mason Grill, we set off for KI. The rain died down and we never saw it again on this trip. We started with The Bat since it wasn't on the FL+ list. I love this ride. We then did Banshee and Invertigo. Banshee is right up there with Afterburn among B&M inverts for me. I also really enjoyed the inverted boomerang. We have a season FunPix pass, so:

12139182.jpg

Next up was Mystic Timbers x2. We both absolutely loved it. It was hauling ass. The Shed video was not working on any of our rides. Also, the FunPix booth wasn't open. The first drop of Mystic Timbers. So sexy:
20190622_151414.jpg

Then we rode The Beast. I feel like I regained my daughter's trust in my judgment of wooden coasters with Kentucky Flyer and Mystic Timbers. Then The Beast destroyed it in just a couple of minutes. We did the FunPix selfie spot at The Beast and it didn't show the sign so we took our own.

12138214.jpg
20190622_154326.jpg

I didn't realize until we were at Cedar Point that they can edit the photos, so we got this from The Beast:

12135529.jpg

Now it was time for the star of the show, Diamondback. We were in the station in no time. A guy probably an hour back in the queue loudly exclaimed, "I ain't paying $90 for that shit" as we breezed by. I didn't stop to tell him that I paid $60 on the Presidents' Day sale. And that we had already done 6 coaster rides in just over an hour. We had about a three train wait. We were next in line when they decided to add the third train. It had some issues and we bailed, figuring we'd come back later. It was not to be. An hour later all three trains were off-track.

Almost got it:
20190622_120059.jpg

Sad sight:
20190622_150901.jpg

We leisurely made our way through the rest of the coasters. After Vortex, my daughter said she never wanted ride another Arrow coaster again. I told her to try to remember the good times, like Loch Ness Monster and Tennessee Tornado.

20190622_120524.jpg

We also did the Eiffel Tower and Windseeker. Banshee & The Bat from the tower:
20190622_141321.jpg

Our visit to KI marked our longest day at an amusement park yet (until the next day at CP). We decided to head toward Cedar Point. I figured we'd check in to the hotel and get a preview at CP. Only I goofed and cancelled my reservation and forgot to re-book. Everything was booked up or $200+ per night. I found a Super 8 in Port Clinton for $130 and booked it through the WR app. We arrived to a situation similar to Jerry renting a car on Seinfeld. Overbooked. We ended up across the street at Clinton Inn & Suites for more money than I have ever paid for a hotel room (probably not that expensive to some, but hotels have always been a place where I skimp) We were tired and hungry, so I sucked it up. We did catch the sun setting on Lake Erie:

20190622_210918.jpg
Last edited by hoppedup on Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:51 am.

Postby hoppedup » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:04 am

grsupercity wrote:Kentucky Kingdom is not my favorite park but I love it to death. Storm Chaser and Lightning Run are top notch. Glad you are enjoying your trip

Thanks. Your signature says it all. Why are there not more Chance hypers? That thing was awesome.

Postby hoppedup » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:41 am

Day 3: The pilgrims reach the holy land

We arrive at around 8:10. My daughter is questioning why we have to arrive so early. And why don't we just use the main gate. "It's right there.", she said. I explain that it's because I read TPR and listen to folks who know a lot more about these parks than I do. I explained the Maverick/Steel Vengeance combo awaiting us and how we needed to use the gate by Magnum XL-200 to get there quicker.

The rope had moved into the park a bit farther than it was last year on my visit. We waited patiently and fast walked back to SV. It was still testing so we made a beeline for Maverick for two quick rides. I knew we were getting FL+ so I wasn't super concerned about Steel Vengeance. Maverick was awesome as usual. It is still my favorite coaster.

12169138.jpg

We boogied over to Millennium Force next for the second best coaster in the park. Another amazing ride. We did it x2 because I had forgotten where the camera was (and it is a great ride).

12167784.jpg

It was nearing 10 so we decided to go get our FL+ passes. Again, since I read these forums I knew to ask if I could get FL+ for FL price. Yes indeed. Thanks, TPR! We did Raptor and Valravn next. There was a language barrier with the Raptor FunPix person so we got our photo and someone else without cropping.

12162494.jpg
12166419.jpg

I decided we should probably ride Steel Vengeance next, so we made our way over there. On the way, TTD was running so we dipped in for a quick ride. Thanks again, FL+.

12162864.jpg

We made our way back to SV, skipping Gemini and XL-200. The offspring said she wasn't touching any more Arrow coasters or woodies this trip. I was definitely cool skipping Gemini and Corkscrew. Steel Vengeance was so much fun. We got three rides in about 30-35 minutes. When we went back later in the day we had to wait about 15 minutes and the app was showing 135 minute wait times.

12163435.jpg
12163709.jpg
12163965.jpg
20190623_105847.jpg
Steel Vengeance: Maggie approved.

We then went over to Gatekeeper. It's a fun ride, the keyhole elements are cool. But my daughter agreed it was her third favorite wing coaster after Thunderbird and Wild Eagle.

12165980.jpg

Next up was Rougarou. It was fine, but with the big three awaiting elsewhere in the park, it was one and done. We used the Sky Ride to go back towards the front gate so we could reapply sunscreen. It was a walk-on headed that way and had quite a line if you were going the other way. We still managed to walk 12 miles that day.
12167268.jpg
20190623_122457.jpg

We ate at the new BackBeat Que. It was good. Kinda similar to Miss Keat's with fish and shrimp added. I had talked Maggie into riding XL-200 but the line was a deterrent. Maybe next year. That's a wrap from Cedar Point. After every trip I ask what my daughter's favorite parks and coasters are. Cedar Point was no surprise, but she threw me a curve when she said Mystic Timbers was her favorite coaster this trip. We spent almost eight hours in the park, a new record for us.

20190623_163138.jpg

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby cparkes92 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:15 am

I'm glad you had fun on your Midwest swing with your daughter!
Top 10 steel: Steel Vengeance, Millennium Force, Maverick, Mako, Incredible Hulk, Banshee, Diamondback, Raptor, SheiKra, Montu
Top 10 wood: Mystic Timbers, Shivering Timbers, Beast, Racer (KI), Viper, American Eagle, Woodstock Express, Blue Streak (CP), Mean Streak (RIP), Wolverine Wildcat

Postby hoppedup » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:45 am

cparkes92 wrote:I'm glad you had fun on your Midwest swing with your daughter!

Thanks! We packed a lot into a 4 day weekend, considering we drove from NC.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!