Photo TR: Adam's Grand European Adventure

P. 6: Disney Magic - Final Sea Day & the Voyage into NYC!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Delicious & Refreshing

Re: Photo TR: Adam's Grand European Adventure (3)

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:26 am

Our second day at the Disneyland Paris Resort continued with us taking in some more great food and more of the experiences not found at the other parks we'd been to... And by the end of our day and a half at Disneyland Paris, we regretted not being able to stay for another day or so. We found the cast to be incredibly friendly, the operations to be highly efficient, and the unique charm and beauty of Disneyland Paris Park enthralling. We're already talking about planning another trip back to the resort once their major expansion efforts are done in a few years.
1.JPG
We had time during our visit for one table service meal and while Walt's was on our list, Bistro chez Remy seemed like the more unique option of the two.
2.JPG
The interior decor is incredibly clever!
3.JPG
You're dining in Remy's restaurant for mice seen at the end of the film (and at the end of the ride).
4.JPG
We each got variations of the premium prix fixe menu... My wife started with the cold vegetable gazpacho.
5.JPG
Duck foie gras! This was authentic and smooth--not my normal fare but there wasn't a drop left on my plate when I was done.
6.JPG
We went with the premium prix fixe particularly because of the signature ratatouille and it did not disappoint!
7.JPG
My dessert was a truffle-laced cheese and it was easily one of the best cheeses I've ever consumed!
8.JPG
My wife got the Apple Tarte Tatin, and it was unbelievable--the best cooked apple dish we've ever eaten.
9.JPG
Despite being stuffed to the brim after Remy, we did continue to force ourself through noshing at the food and wine booths.
10.JPG
Time for a flash back to my youth...
11.JPG
"Earily" familiar...
12.JPG
While not a carbon copy of the version of the Studio Backlot Tour that existed at Disney's Hollywood Studios for so many years, there are many similarities.
13.JPG
The set from the "hit show" Dinotopia... I had to look this one up to know what they were talking about.
14.JPG
This seems familiar.
15.JPG
Where have I seen this before?
16.JPG
SKLOOSH!
17.JPG
Something else familiar on the Horizon...
18.JPG
Another set on the Studio Tram Tour is inspired by the "hit film" Reign of Fire... For those of you that remember that one.
19.JPG
Cars from the live action 100 (and 101) Dalmatian films... These I actually recognized!
20.JPG
Having just been in California two weeks earlier, it was a little strange not seeing the Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout experience here...
21.JPG
The Tanaleer Tivan statue would be here.
22.JPG
Waiting for the Rocket animatronic to come out.
23.JPG
Toy Story Land here is pretty cute!
24.JPG
Though I prefer Florida's Slinky Dog ride...
25.JPG
Oddly enough, RC Racer was the first halfpipe coaster I'd ever ridden...
26.JPG
And it was quite fun!
27.JPG
The queue is designed to look like slot car tracks!
28.JPG
Mini Cars Land...
29.JPG
Deju vu all over this park.
30.JPG
So many flashbacks.
31.JPG
Interesting to see the Partners statue here.
32.JPG
The park's dedication plaque.
33.JPG
TIKI!!!!
34.JPG
Back in the Discovery Arcade in Disneyland Paris, I found this gem of a nook.
35.JPG
Such a cool little thing!
36.JPG
Sadly Phantom Manor wasn't open during my visit...
37.JPG
But even the refurbishment signage was awesome.
38.JPG
Love the nods to the other Frontierlands of the Disney Parks around the world.
39.JPG
Nothing prepared me for how amazing Big Thunder Mountain is in Paris.
40.JPG
The tunnel that brings you to the island where the coaster is based is unreal! Long, dark and fast and I loved every bit of it!
41.JPG
Without a doubt, this ended up being our favorite ride in the ENTIRE resort!
42.JPG
I see you Phantom Manor!
43.JPG
Such a gorgeous mountain range!
44.JPG
The Molly Brown is beautiful!
45.JPG
The setting of this Big Thunder Mountain cannot be beat!
46.JPG
TAKE THE TUNNEL!!!
47.JPG
I haven't stopped thinking about this ride since our visit.
48.JPG
Another look at the unique Molly Brown.
49.JPG
Coco has found his way into Frontierland!
50.JPG
TOAD. HALL. RESTAURANT!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Delicious & Refreshing

Re: Photo TR: Adam's Grand European Adventure (4)

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:27 am

(Continued)
1.JPG
I never thought I'd experience the Shanghai version of this attraction first, but it was neat to see the original inspiration after having done the more modern take.
2.JPG
Some cool figures to be found in the maze!
3.JPG
Considering how much land this takes up (and how long it took us to get through the maze), it always amazes me that the parks would yielded so much valuable real estate to a walk through attraction.
4.JPG
Didn't expect to see the Queen of Hearts' castle here!
5.JPG
Still love this version of the ride the most!
6.JPG
Time for another ride!
7.JPG
As a Star Wars fan, I was happy to experience Hyperspace Mountain... As a parks fan, I was a little bummed to have missed out on Space Mountain: Mission 2...
8.JPG
And the chance to see the Columbiad Cannon in action.
9.JPG
Tokyo's Star Tours has the best queue... I'd argue that Paris' Star Tours has the best gift shop.
10.JPG
This is the most amazing Ewok plush I've ever seen.
11.JPG
Love this!
12.JPG
Love this even more!
13.JPG
I was super excited to experience this walk through attraction!
14.JPG
Flashbacks to Tokyo DisneySea...
15.JPG
Some neat things to look at...
16.JPG
And a few nods to the film that inspired the attraction.
17.JPG
For the longest time I thought the Hyperion was something designed specifically for Discoveryland... I learned later in life that it was actually featured in the Disney film, The Island at the Top of the World.
18.JPG
Next we checked out the Aladdin walk through attraction...
19.JPG
I really liked this one!
20.JPG
Super cool!
21.JPG
Adventureland in Disneyland Paris is super unique!
22.JPG
I loved seeing this from the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse!
23.JPG
I love seeing the Disneyland Paris Hotel so prominently towering over the entrance of the park!
24.JPG
There's a Disney Legends statue near the entrance of the park!
25.JPG
Having witnessed three different Disney Legends presentations, this was cool to see here!
26.JPG
The World of Disney store was neat to visit.
27.JPG
This statue and the Minnie statue on the opposite side came from the former Times Square store in New York City.
28.JPG
So many unique Ewok plush to find here!
29.JPG
In the store that was equivalent to the Art of Disney in the stateside parks, we found this awesome model of the castle.
30.JPG
I love that this LEGO dragon can be found in every Disney LEGO Store location around the world.
31.JPG
Looks familiar!
32.JPG
Also familiar! Time to head to the city to explore Paris!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Adam's Grand European Adventure

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:58 am

Great report! I didn't realize Paris still had a Backlot Tour.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Indianapolis Zoo & John Ivers Backyard/Blue Flash

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:23 am

^ Yeah they still do it (until they start the expansion in that area) and for the most part, there's nothing memorable in it much any more. But it appears (in the recent concept art of the expansion) like the only thing they might be keeping, in the "new stuff" planned for the Studios, is Catastrophe Canyon, as a separate attraction in itself.

Awesome report, Adam! So much stuff you enjoyed there. Thanks for sharing all of it. :mickey:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Re: Photo TR: Adam's Grand European Adventure (3)

Postby The Great Zo » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:15 pm

jedimaster1227 wrote:Image

Fantastic shot!
-- Andy
Trip Reports: 2013 BG/KD -- 2013 TPR -- 2014 KI -- 2014 TPR -- 2015 TPR
Trip Reports: 2015 CP -- 2017 FL -- 2017 CP -- 2017 TPR -- 2018 FC -- 2018 CA

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:22 pm

You make Disneyland Paris look really great. Drooling over those Ratatouille photos....that prix fixe looks very much worth it. Stunning presentation, and if the quality is as good as you say (and I have every reason to believe it is), then that's a star attraction for this park.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:39 pm

Another great report Adam, love the photos! Glad you two had an incredible time at DLP. The food, hotel, and different versions of the attractions make me want to go visit now!
{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:31 pm

After our time at Disneyland Paris, we spent a day and a half in Paris to explore the city. During my last visit, I had been able to visit Notre Dame, but didn't have the time to go in (I was on a school trip and not in control of my own schedule as a result), so that was a must do this time around. We also made sure to visit Sainte Chapelle and to have some incredible food (read: CHEESE) along the way before leaving France to make our way to London...

This update is shorter that most, only because the next one will be much bigger and more magical! ;)
1.JPG
First stop in the city: Notre Dame! I'd seen the outside almost a decade earlier during my school trip but...
2.JPG
But I wasn't prepared for how gorgeous the interior would truly be!
3.JPG
The stained glass windows are absolutely incredible and it is even more impressive when you realize that these were made centuries ago.
4.JPG
Even if you don't have a religious affiliation with the church, it is difficult not to be overwhelmed with how much beauty is found within these walls.
5.JPG
Absolutely stunning.
6.JPG
Seeing the inside was well worth the decade-long wait... The next visit won't take nearly as long!
7.JPG
We then took the (lengthy) steps upstairs to take in the view... Like something out of a Parisian postcard!
8.JPG
Sainte Chapelle would be next on our list...
9.JPG
Getting to go inside of the belltower of Notre Dame was a really awesome surprise!
10.JPG
I love this one!
11.JPG
We were able to visit the famous "lock bridge" that many know from the film Now You See Me. It is no longer allowed to place locks on the bridge, but it was still neat to visit this film locale.
12.JPG
Sainte Chapelle isn't as big as Notre Dame, but it has its own unique beauty.
13.JPG
Wraparound stained glass windows that are overwhelming for sure!
14.JPG
I spent a heck of a lot of time taking in this view.
15.JPG
After our church foray, we visited a local favorite, St. Regus for lunch, where of course, we had French Onion Soup, and of course, it was the best we'd ever had.
16.JPG
Some of the best tasting chicken we've ever had too.
17.JPG
And I wasn't going to turn down a chance for a delicious Croque Madame!
18.JPG
Easily the best eclair (salted caramel) I've ever had.
19.JPG
Off in the distance is the Grand Palais... This structure has been very, very important to me since I was much younger.
20.JPG
One of the more famous gardens in Paris--this was recently featured in a scene between Tom Cruise and Rebecca Ferguson in Mission Impossible: Fallout.
21.JPG
Just goofing around...
22.JPG
TO THE LOUVRE! (Ok, not yet.)
23.JPG
Dinner first at another local hotspot!
24.JPG
ALL THE CHEESE. ALL FOR ME!!!
25.JPG
And there was no way we were going to France without having authentic raclette.
26.JPG
I still dream of this meal.
27.JPG
My last trip to Paris was an extremely limited one, preventing me from visiting the grounds of the Louvre at night...
28.JPG
My wife understood why I wanted to check it out, once we were here.
29.JPG
And while we didn't go up in the Eiffel Tower this time around, we still had the chance to walk the grounds at night, which was beautiful.
30.JPG
Just as there is Le Grand Palais, there too is Le Petite Palais nearby.
31.JPG
Unfortunately the majority of Le Grand Palais was closed during our visit as it was in between exhibitions, but we did get to see the inside of one of the atriums.
32.JPG
Why is Le Grand Palais so important to me? Years ago, when I was too afraid as a kid to ride most rides in the theme parks (Disney included), some of my favorite attractions were Circle-Vision films (hence my affinity for O, Canada at Epcot) and for this reason I would watch The Timekeeper quite frequently when I went to the Magic Kingdom. In the film, Jules Verne and H.G. Wells meet on the grounds of the Exposition Universelle (1900) in Paris, discussing the impossibilities and improbabilities of the future. I was enamored with the steel/glass architecture as pictured in the film and dreamed of visiting these grounds. During my High School trip I saw it from afar but I never was able to get close. And while we didn't get to go in due to the venue being closed, walking the grounds was still a dream come true.

Oddly enough, I discovered later on that the location used on film in The Timekeeper for the Exposition Universelle was actually a structure in Switzerland... So I've got to add that to my list for the future.
33.JPG
Mary Magdalene is buried under here... At least according to Robert Langdon.
34.JPG
The macarons at Laduree were incredible!
35.JPG
A walk through the Maison Meunier was quite nice!
36.JPG
While it wasn't a part of our original plan to actually go into the Louvre this time around, the fact that we had a few hours on our hands before our train left for London, and that my wife had never been to the Louvre was enough to convince me that we should go in.
37.JPG
There are some really incredible artifacts in pristine condition here.
38.JPG
We maybe got to see 10% of the Louvre, but what we did see was well worth it.
39.JPG
It was neat to see a model of the Louvre Abu Dhabi here.
40.JPG
The grounds we walked the night before we could see from the window inside.
41.JPG
The corridors of the Louvre are incredible.
42.JPG
And while we didn't wait in a long line to get somewhat close to the Mona Lisa, we did see her from afar, with enough of a zoom to get a photo.
43.JPG
All the delicious pastries.
44.JPG
And a French-style omelette...
45.JPG
Many of my travel desires have been inspired by some of my interests from my youth... I already told you about my fascination with Le Grand Palais... Another one of mine was with the Eurostar/TGV... I'll let you guess why.
46.JPG
Have you guessed it? I grew up watching the original Mission Impossible film, which features a fantastic finale aboard the TGV. When it was decided that we would visit Paris and London before our cruise, it was a given that we would be taking the Chunnel to get between these cities.
47.JPG
A few hours later, we arrived in London!
48.JPG
We ended up at the Founders Arms, a well known pub on the banks of the river Thames that wasn't far from our hotel.
49.JPG
I might've had a drink or two while we were here too... We called it an early night, knowing that our next day would be busy! The next morning we would gain a new insight into a certain magical universe...

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:41 pm

I approve of any restaurant called "Wine Bread Cheese"!

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:32 am

Disneyland Paris' Big Thunder Mountain is so incredible. I can't get over it. Those two endless tunnels... :lover:

Also I'm now kicking myself for not going inside Notre Dame. Your photos make it look absolutely beautiful. I can't even imagine how it looks in person.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!