TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New TPR Forum Ads

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything is almost in place now. I do apologize that we have more ads than before, but the reality of the situation is that as online websites and forums are becoming less and less visited in favor of social media (which there are plenty of ads there, too) we have had to work with different ad companies that can help us bring in more money.

The alternative is to not have the forum anymore and I'm sure that's not really what anyone here wants.

There is still a bit more tweaking to do with ad banner sizes and some consistency, and while we do have more ad placements, don't worry... I'm not planning to do any obnoxious "pop ups in the middle of the screen" ads, things you can't click out of. We'll have the sticky ad at the bottom and you can at least click out of that one to remove it while you're on a page.

Really, other than that all I ask is for your understanding and to "get used to it" and know that having these ads will help keep the forum around longer.

Thank you.

hmm. . . granted, haven't been on much the past couple of weeks (just slammed at work, which always happens towards year end/holidays). . . but I'm not seeing any ads.

like at all?

is my ad blocker just working really well? or am i going to get a message along the lines of "we see you're using an ad blocker, please turn it off" ?

TPR is one of the few sites where I'd actually do a monthly subscription to support (as some sites do). . so just wondering.

TPR is one of the few sites where I'd actually do a monthly subscription to support (as some sites do). . so just wondering.

That's really what Club TPR is for. I don't really have a way to turn on or off ads per individual user and installing something like that would be costly. So it would be counter productive. If you're not seeing ads, then it sounds like your problem is already resolved?

That's really what Club TPR is for. I don't really have a way to turn on or off ads per individual user and installing something like that would be costly. So it would be counter productive. If you're not seeing ads, then it sounds like your problem is already resolved?

yah. .must mean I have a good ad blocker (my Hubby works in tech, so he's my inhouse support. . LOL, no idea what blocker I have that he set up).

to be clear, I don't have an issue even if seeing ads -- anything to support the site . . .

Yeah, I was also wondering. Nice from you, Robb, to inform us.

I do sometimes have ads, sometimes not. We're not allowed having ad blockers at work, so I just will get used to it.

The one thing I really dislike ar the ads between the posts. They are somehow uncomfortable. For the others on the side or the bottom, I don't care.

The one thing I really dislike ar the ads between the posts. They are somehow uncomfortable.

Like I said, the alternative is not having the TPR forum anymore and I can focus on social media instead which is where the majority of our traffic is now anyway. My only suggestion if it really bothers you that much is to simply follow us on social media (and there are ads there, too) or get used to it.

The one thing I really dislike ar the ads between the posts. They are somehow uncomfortable.

Like I said, the alternative is not having the TPR forum anymore and I can focus on social media instead which is where the majority of our traffic is now anyway. My only suggestion if it really bothers you that much is to simply follow us on social media (and there are ads there, too) or get used to it.

Hi Robb, thanks for your reply

I really didn't mean it so bad. It's just the only thing I'd change if I could. Nothing that would prevent me from being on the forums anyways.

Just keep on giong, we all will get used to the ads sooner or later.

Purely curious, is it not possible to shove those "in-between" ads to the sides of the site (specifically the left, which seems empty)?

The left side probably only looks empty because you're on a desktop browser using a wide screen. Not everyone has that setup. If you're on a smaller screen or using the normal forum theme on a mobile device or tablet, that empty left side goes away by design:

476308975_IMG_9033copy.thumb.jpg.2ecb2a96cf958e13a12a821a108823cb.jpg

Look, I'm trying to be as upfront as possible with everyone here. The website alone is not cheap to keep alive. With the volume of photos, videos, and data we have on the site alone, that is not stored off-side on a social platform, it is a GIANT amount of work behind the scenes.

We actually have two different servers that run this site, one of them all it does is backup every day, and then we have another backup to the cloud.

It is thousands of dollars, closing in on "tens of thousands of dollars" each year to keep just the website going and the ads make it so that the site at least breaks even.

Like I said, I don't like having all the ads either, and trust me, I have already said "no" to even more obnoxious ads that pop up in the middle of your screen, or pop up when you exit out of the page, etc.

But there was a balance to how many ads we had, what the placement was, etc, to how much it was worth having. If that ad at the bottom of the screen wasn't the one bringing it in a significant amount of the ad revenue, it would be removed.

Thanks again for your understanding.

Edited by robbalvey

The left side probably only looks empty because you're on a desktop browser using a wide screen. Not everyone has that setup. If you're on a smaller screen or using the normal forum theme on a mobile device or tablet, that empty left side goes away by design:

Yep, that explains it. I keep forgetting that my tank of a desktop is in the minority now!

I know that someone else already mentioned it, but I’ll second: I’d be totally willing to pay for an upgraded subscription to TPR that was ad-free. Also wanted to thank you, Robb for your transparency!

I hear you... but this is also the issue...

The current software we are using doesn't support the ability to turn the ads off for specific people. So I don't have a way to trigger that it someone were to pay for a subscription.

Now if someone wants to pay for the development of that, then we can talk!

Edited by robbalvey

^I didn't notice the videos until you pointed it out. That is a very nice touch!

That just went in this morning!

Like I said, we are still working to finalize a few things. This is fairly new territory for us (We've had ads before, but not with an ad agency like this) and there will be more tweaks and changes...

Wow, I had no idea it cost that much to run the site for us schmucks to read free of charge! Your content is top notch and I like that you have such great videos of rides most other people never get to ride, let alone hear about their existence! This site is the most credible source in my opinion, and I don't even consider looking at any other forums for amusement news. Everything I need to know is right here. Thank you so much!

Wow, I had no idea it cost that much to run the site for us schmucks to read free of charge!

Yep. The website alone is at least a grand a month to keep going. And sure, there are probably cheaper servers out there with less support and less service, but I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" and when you think about it, how often does the TPR forum go down? And that's why IMO it's worth it to pay a bit more for better servers and service.

And all it takes is a few annoying ads to keep that going...

^I didn't notice the videos until you pointed it out. That is a very nice touch!

That just went in this morning!

Like I said, we are still working to finalize a few things. This is fairly new territory for us (We've had ads before, but not with an ad agency like this) and there will be more tweaks and changes...

Yeah, I thought the videos were pretty cool.