Photo TR: Andy's California Adventure

Part 3: Disney California Adventure
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Re: Photo TR: Andy's California Adventure

Postby coasterlvr » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:51 am

joelwee wrote:^ You have the right idea, but Santa Clarita is the big city that encompasses a bunch of smaller "cities" that aren't real cities, but just unincorporated communities - namely, Valencia, Newhall, Canyon Country, and Saugus.

oops, i meant santa clarita.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:37 am

Impressive back drop with all of those mountains! Those are some great shots. It's astounding how many coasters there are to ride.. and then I did a double take to realize that 3 were down! WCB seems like the best way to get all those coasters in (and more) in one day.
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby cparkes92 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:00 am

PKI Jizzman wrote:Impressive back drop with all of those mountains! Those are some great shots. It's astounding how many coasters there are to ride.. and then I did a double take to realize that 3 were down! WCB seems like the best way to get all those coasters in (and more) in one day.

I would be surprised if there has ever been a day in the last 20 years on which all of SFMM's coasters were open! CP has all of their coasters open on 90-95% of their operating days each season
Top 10 steel: Steel Vengeance, Millennium Force, Maverick, Mako, Incredible Hulk, Banshee, Diamondback, Raptor, SheiKra, Montu
Top 10 wood: Mystic Timbers, Shivering Timbers, Beast, Racer (KI), Viper, American Eagle, Woodstock Express, Blue Streak (CP), Mean Streak (RIP), Wolverine Wildcat

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby The Great Zo » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:54 am

PKI Jizzman wrote:It's astounding how many coasters there are to ride.. and then I did a double take to realize that 3 were down! WCB seems like the best way to get all those coasters in (and more) in one day.

Seriously! OK, so let's take a look at this. RCDB lists 19 coasters at the park.

But ... three were closed:
1) Apocalypse
2) Green Lantern
3) Viper

And ... four are kiddie coasters:
1) Canyon Blaster
2) Magic Flyer
3) Road Runner Express
4) Speedy Gonzales

...so really, I only had 12 coasters to ride. That's still a lot, but it's a lot easier than going in and thinking I had to get on 19 or 20 coasters.
-- Andy
Trip Reports: 2013 BG/KD -- 2013 TPR -- 2014 KI -- 2014 TPR -- 2015 TPR
Trip Reports: 2015 CP -- 2017 FL -- 2017 CP -- 2017 TPR -- 2018 FC -- 2018 CA

Postby The Great Zo » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:44 pm

Hey again -- here's a quick little interlude, just to get something up while I'm working on pictures for the next major segment of the report.

Part 2.5 -- The The Angels Angels of Anaheim
Monday, September 10, 2018

After two exhausting days at West Coast Bash, it was time for a quick breather! Monday the 10th was the arrival day for the rest of my family, in advance of our four-day adventure at Disneyland.

To John -- another million thank-yous (but not a million dollars, sorry) for your hospitality and hilarity!

After a good night's sleep, John and I headed out to lunch, and then he dropped me off at my hotel near Disneyland so I could wait for my family to arrive from the airport.

So, here's the story with the hotels. My family decided pretty early not to stay on-property at Disneyland, even though we always do that at Walt Disney World. The benefits to staying on-site at WDW are numerous, and there are several hotels at the price point we're looking for. That's just not true at Disneyland, where even the cheapest hotel (Paradise Pier) is remarkably expensive, with few real perks that are exclusive for Disney hotel guests. I guess the biggest perk would be the extra hour in the morning (every morning) at one of the parks, but since we were doing a four-day stay with manageable crowds, that wasn't enough to put it over the top for us.

So, in early 2018, I started research into all the hotels on Katella, Harbor, and other nearby streets within walking distance of the front gate. I probably looked at 40 different hotels initially, but based on price/proximity/quality, eventually narrowed it down to two: the Candy Cane Inn, and the Hotel Indigo. Both had rooms for just over $100 a night, and both appeared clean and safe. So, I put it to a vote -- where did our trip participants want to stay? The result: the old people voted for the Candy Cane, and the young people voted for the Indigo. Rather than compromise, we just booked rooms at separate hotels. :lmao: The end result is that the two places had their different strengths, but both worked out quite well, and I'd be happy to recommend either.

Anyway, that's the boring hotel stuff -- and obviously there will be plenty more from Disneyland in the next few posts. But how did we spend our first night together in California? Baseball. My family likes baseball, and while it's not my favorite sport, I do like to try to check out different stadiums when I'm traveling. With the Angels in town during our first night in Anaheim, it made sense to take the short trip and check out a game.

And since the Angels aren't very good, I got us some decent upper-level tickets for under $10 each.

So, here's a short photo set from Angel Stadium!
IMG_0017.jpg
Angel Stadium is the 10th MLB stadium I've visited -- though that counts two that are no longer in use.
IMG_0018.jpg
Baseball game tonight. Big baseball out front shoulda told ya.
IMG_0019.jpg
DISNEY CONTENT! It's a big Mickey from the 2010 MLB All-Star Game.
IMG_0020.jpg
Look! I found another one! I wonder how many were created?
IMG_0024.jpg
In a display case on the main concourse, the trophy from the Angels' 2002 World Series championship.
IMG_0046.jpg
A statue of Orvon Grover "Gene" Autry, the original owner of the Angels. He later sold the team to the Walt Disney Company, who sold the franchise to its current owner, Arte Moreno.
IMG_0049.jpg
Win one for the Cowboy!
IMG_0088.jpg
A relative of mine asked me to take a picture of Mike Trout and send it to him.

I sent him this.

I did not check to see if the head actually bobbles.
IMG_0089.jpg
He's got his very own Trout farm!
IMG_0146.jpg
The Big A, a major landmark alongside I-5.
IMG_0147.jpg
Culture Club and Tom Bailey from the Thompson Twins!!! Live in concert!!! Sign me up!!!
IMG_0150.jpg
Walking around the stadium to check out the views.
IMG_0155.jpg
Here's the cool rock / waterfall formation in the outfield, just left of the batter's eye.
IMG_0156.jpg
Behind the rock formation.
IMG_0158.jpg
This guy hit a lot of home runs -- but he was injured and not in the lineup for our visit.
IMG_0185.jpg
Something I like to do at every stadium -- check out the view from the seats in the far corners. Here's left field...
IMG_0188.jpg
...and here's right field. You're a long, long way from the game action up here.
IMG_0197.jpg
Hey, remember when Gary Bettman blew a duck call during a press conference? That was something.
IMG_0199.jpg
The view to the east -- the Saddleback peaks (Santiago Peak / Modjeska Peak) that dominate the Orange County skyline.
IMG_0201.jpg
Hey, way off to the north, it's that huge mountain I mentioned in the first TR segment. I wonder if it might be important later...
IMG_0204.jpg
Sunset to the west, and if you look close, you might just see something Incredible. And something ... Galactic?

OK, it's DCA.
IMG_0229.jpg
Sunset in the stadium lights.
IMG_0252.jpg
Yes, that is the name of the team.
IMG_0255.jpg
Looking down from the upper deck as the game was getting ready to begin.
IMG_0262.jpg
Wide view from behind home plate! Another view I like to get from every stadium I visit.
IMG_0274.jpg
Here's the view from our /actual/ seats. Not bad for $9 and change.
IMG_0294.jpg
A look at the Texas Rangers' dugout, celebrating a run.
IMG_0295.jpg
A look at the Angels' dugout, celebrating ... well, probably nothing. They weren't very good.
IMG_0296.jpg
Press box wonks, hard at work.
IMG_0298.jpg
All of a sudden, I would like some noodles.
IMG_0312.jpg
One last night view of the field! Pretty nice stadium. Not one of my very favorites (the parking lot stadiums are going to have a hard time making the top of that list) but I enjoyed my time there.
IMG_0326.jpg
Goodbye, Angels. Next stop -- Disneyland!
-- Andy

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:54 am

Nice report!

Angel Stadium was one of the most beautiful ballparks I've visited; however, of the 6 stadiums I have visited, it's at the bottom. The crowd was dead. It would be one thing if the crowds were minimal but those who were there were going crazy (see Athletics fans), but the stadium was 3/4 filled and mostly silent. A baseball game shouldn't be watched in reverent silence. How was the crowd for your game? Lively or also dead?
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Universal Studios Hollywood & Six Flags Magic Mountain

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby prospekt88 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:11 pm

I went to an Angels game at the end of this season after a day at Disneyland. I agree it's the worst of the 7 ballparks I've been too. It's really cheap, and it's easy to get in and out of, but that's all it had going for it. Food and atmosphere were both pretty bad.

Ducks games at the Honda Center next door are actually a lot of fun though. Both venues have some great bars/breweries right across the street. It's actually a great break from the day at Disneyland. Cheap/quick uber over to the breweries for dinner and a game, then back to the park 'til closing for some night rides with a solid buzz.

Postby The Great Zo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:14 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:It would be one thing if the crowds were minimal but those who were there were going crazy (see Athletics fans), but the stadium was 3/4 filled and mostly silent. A baseball game shouldn't be watched in reverent silence. How was the crowd for your game? Lively or also dead?

Let's go with "barely there." Lots of empty seats, and not much to cheer for. Winning cures all, and I'm sure they'd be lively for a successful team, but it was a mediocre season in Anaheim.
-- Andy

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:19 pm

Nice shots of the Angels' stadium!
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

Postby The Great Zo » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:58 pm

PKI Jizzman wrote:Nice shots of the Angels' stadium!

Thanks Zach! One of your favorite parks is coming up next!
-- Andy

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!