TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cheap Orlando Trip

Hello guys!

Found a Spirit flight that would depart next Tuesday 9/18 out of Pittsburgh to arrive by 10 AM and return Saturday 9/22 around 5 PM. $80. I kinda know what I’m getting into with Spirit (just going to pack a backpack as my personal item, go with a random seat, and check-in online ahead of time). Found an inexpensive private room in an Airbnb for $125 (4 nights). It’s located in Tangelo Park about 1.5 miles from Fun Spot Orlando.

What I’d like to accomplish in order of importance: volunteer two days at GKTW, Sea World, both Fun Spots (after 8 PM for $30 each), Aquatica ($20 more to add on), I-Drive, and Disney Springs.

My tentative plan of attack looks like this.

Tuesday: Arrive at 10 AM, Uber or Lyft to GKTW and volunteer until 6 or 7, head to Fun Spot Kissimmee for a few hours.

Wednesday: Sea World until close at 6 and evening open to do I-Drive, Disney Springs or other.

Thursday: Aquatica until close at 5, evening is open do I-Drive, Disney Springs or other.

Friday: volunteer GKTW, Fun Spot Orlando in evening.

Saturday: Disney Springs/I-Drive before depart.

Some questions for you guys aside from tips on the itinerary.

1. Ticket options: $80 for SeaWorld, $100 for both, $140 for both with all-day dining. Given that the hours are limited, does the dining make sense? Ultimately it would be nice to get dinner out of the way but I wouldn’t be opposed to eating in Disney Springs one/both nights and just doing lunch at the parks.

2. Any deal I’m missing for the Fun Spot Parks aside from the $30 evening option? Seems like 4 hours would be enough time at each?

3. Any better alternative than to do pricey ride share all week? That’s going to add up but it seems nice that I’m close to Fun Spot Orlando and I-Drive at least.

4. Crowds would be low at both SeaWorld Parks? How does Aquatica stack up?

Any other advice or tips are much appreciated!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello guys!

Found a Spirit flight that would depart next Tuesday 9/18 out of Pittsburgh to arrive by 10 AM and return Saturday 9/22 around 5 PM. $80. I kinda know what I’m getting into with Spirit (just going to pack a backpack as my personal item, go with a random seat, and check-in online ahead of time). Found an inexpensive private room in an Airbnb for $125 (4 nights). It’s located in Tangelo Park about 1.5 miles from Fun Spot Orlando.

Any other advice or tips are much appreciated!

I stayed with you through the Spirit Airlines part, but you lost me at staying in a private room in Tangelo Park! Please try to not get murdered.

^Yes, please try not to stay there.

1. Ticket options: $80 for SeaWorld, $100 for both, $140 for both with all-day dining. Given that the hours are limited, does the dining make sense? Ultimately it would be nice to get dinner out of the way but I wouldn’t be opposed to eating in Disney Springs one/both nights and just doing lunch at the parks.

2. Any deal I’m missing for the Fun Spot Parks aside from the $30 evening option? Seems like 4 hours would be enough time at each?

3. Any better alternative than to do pricey ride share all week? That’s going to add up but it seems nice that I’m close to Fun Spot Orlando and I-Drive at least.

4. Crowds would be low at both SeaWorld Parks? How does Aquatica stack up?

1. This is really up to you. Have you looked into options for one of the Sea World Busch Passes? As an enthusiast, they often pay (especially if you can buy one NOT in Orlando). If you want to eat meals at the parks then that dining would pay, but I don't think the food is anything special and for $40 you could get two decent meals on I-Drive or 1.5 at Disney Springs!

2. That sounds like a decent deal, Fun Spot doesn't always have great short term pricing so that's good and 4 hours is plenty of time.

3. Did you check on a rental car? Sometimes you can priceline one for quite cheap, especially this time of year. Did you look into any hotels that offer shuttles? I don't think that would be cheaper than a scary AirBnB plus uber, but it might be worth checking.

4. I can't imagine you will encounter crowds at all. It's been pretty dead here and those parks don't have Halloween events that early so you'll be fine.

Countless Airbnb’s/hotels to choose from! Seeing one near Rio Grande Park which looks a bit nicer.

Near the jail. Seriously. Please just find something in the safe tourist area!! Other 'safe' non-tourist areas that would be close for you include: Williamsburg, Dr. Phillips, anything off Apopka Vineland Road, etc.

^Alrighty, thanks for the neighborhoods! I’ll try to search it that way and see what I find!

Oh and I didn’t see your other responses right away, Elissa. I’ll probably forego the dining offer and eat elsewhere especially because of the hours. And I did consider the annual passes but I don’t think I’ll be back at either of these two parks in a years time or the other parks enough to justify the price. I’ll look into hotels, because it could help considerably with shuttles. I did find an Airbnb for a room in a townhome in Coral Cay Resort (seems pretty safe and popular) which might be ideal because of its proximity to GKTW. Would cut down on ride share cost considerably since I’ll be going there a few times.

Do you plan to do the SkyCoaster? If so, I'd consider a FunSpot Season Pass. I think I got mine for $70-80 last year and it paid for itself in one night. With the season pass you get to ride the SkyCoaster for $10 as opposed to the normal price. Plus you can give yourself multiple days if you choose and have it for any future trips.

For SeaWorld, I'd recommend the Dine with Shamu meal. It's around lunch time and you get an all you can eat and drink buffet. That includes all you can drink Busch beer and the buffet even has prime rib. Plus you get to have an interaction with Shamu's trainers and go into the stadium for a quick show after. I think it cost me $25 with my season pass last time.

If the weather is cooler than usual, Aquatica would be empty. I was able to hit anything I wanted back in November in an hour.

If I'm trying to be cheap and in Florida not for a work trip, I usually end up staying near Old Town in Kissimmee.

I can't recommend Spirit based on my experience (Flight delayed over 6 hours and I had to go to a different airport), but I completely understand how cheap they are. It can't be any worse than my trip!

I did the All Day Dining at Sea World two years ago, on a day I was spending 7 hours in the park before meeting up with my cousin. To me it was not worth the $35 as selection was limited to the weakest food in the park. I ate three meals but only really enjoyed one of them. The Mexican was sub par, the Chinese was weak, and the Nathans hot dogs were the best of my three meals. Although the desserts were good each time. I certainly ate over $35 in food but could have enjoyed myself spending $20 on 2 meals elsewhere. Or maybe $35 in desserts and pretzels would have been better. If you are not a picky eater or if you are a high volume eater it is a great deal because you only have to wait 60 minutes between meals

For cheap hotels check out Choicehotels.com, I know they have several properties in the I-Drive area that are probably withing walking distance of either SeaWorld or either of the FunSpot parks. They're not the nicest hotels in the world but I'm sure you can find a room for under like $60 a night that will be clean and in a safe area, should be fine for a budget trip.

Do you plan to do the SkyCoaster? If so, I'd consider a FunSpot Season Pass. I think I got mine for $70-80 last year and it paid for itself in one night. With the season pass you get to ride the SkyCoaster for $10 as opposed to the normal price. Plus you can give yourself multiple days if you choose and have it for any future trips.

For SeaWorld, I'd recommend the Dine with Shamu meal. It's around lunch time and you get an all you can eat and drink buffet. That includes all you can drink Busch beer and the buffet even has prime rib. Plus you get to have an interaction with Shamu's trainers and go into the stadium for a quick show after. I think it cost me $25 with my season pass last time.

If the weather is cooler than usual, Aquatica would be empty. I was able to hit anything I wanted back in November in an hour.

If I'm trying to be cheap and in Florida not for a work trip, I usually end up staying near Old Town in Kissimmee.

I can't recommend Spirit based on my experience (Flight delayed over 6 hours and I had to go to a different airport), but I completely understand how cheap they are. It can't be any worse than my trip!

I’ll probably be passing on the sky coaster, otherwise for $75, the pass makes a ton more sense. Either way, I’m excited that it shouldn’t be too crowded and I can marathon the woodies.

Ah yeah, I remember reading a report (princely yours) about that Shamu lunch. Would be a great experience!

I did the All Day Dining at Sea World two years ago, on a day I was spending 7 hours in the park before meeting up with my cousin. To me it was not worth the $35 as selection was limited to the weakest food in the park. I ate three meals but only really enjoyed one of them. The Mexican was sub par, the Chinese was weak, and the Nathans hot dogs were the best of my three meals. Although the desserts were good each time. I certainly ate over $35 in food but could have enjoyed myself spending $20 on 2 meals elsewhere. Or maybe $35 in desserts and pretzels would have been better. If you are not a picky eater or if you are a high volume eater it is a great deal because you only have to wait 60 minutes between meals

Okay, yeah.. that’s exactly what I feared. Quality is more important than quantity and I don’t need food to be the focal point of my day.

For cheap hotels check out Choicehotels.com, I know they have several properties in the I-Drive area that are probably withing walking distance of either SeaWorld or either of the FunSpot parks. They're not the nicest hotels in the world but I'm sure you can find a room for under like $60 a night that will be clean and in a safe area, should be fine for a budget trip.

And that’s a good source, thanks! I’ll check it out.

^I don't really have much of a plan for that area, just yet. Am not terribly familiar with it. Maybe check out the Icon area. See they have a trolley which should help a bit.

So I have a development. I am planning to purchase the two day ticket to Sea World for $100. Up until a minute ago, I was certain I was going to do Aquatica and Sea World; however, I noticed they offer a shuttle that leaves Sea World around 9:15 to be at Busch Gardens by 10:30/11. Sea World is open both days 10-6, whereas Busch Gardens is only open until 5 on Thursday. However, I am looking at doing the Shamu Dining at Sea World (only offered Friday) and also thought crowds would be more relevant for Busch Gardens as Friday is the first day of Howl-O-Scream. So I can go to Busch Gardens Thursday from 11-4:30 (load up the buses) or go to Aquatica 10-5 and then Sea World Firday 10.6. Any thoughts on this/experience with the shuttle? I know I will want to return to Busch Gardens at a later date regardless in light of today's announcement. Will I have enough time to experience a lot of what the park has to offer in those 5.5 hours? I see a single use (per major ride) quick-quene option for $15? Safe option to just go with that?

Since you’re on a budget and you want to do Aquarica you would be insane not to buy the 3 park Busch / SeaWorld ticket. Personally I’d rent a car but I know plenty of people who have taken the shuttle.

Honestly, not doing a day at Busch Gardens with that combo ticket and hanging out at Disney Springs or on I Drive will probably be more expensive and much less fun (though I love Disney Springs and *some* of the I Drive tourist traps).

The combo ticket is a steal. You may need Quick Queue but wait until you get there to buy it.

I took that shuttle back in March. It's a comfortable enough bus but it doesn't get you there until a half hour after the park opens. By that point, Cheetah Hunt and Cobra's Curse may have 30-40 minute waits. The mouse and Scorpion can get decent sized lines if you don't hit them early. The B&Ms rarely have lines. If you can swing Quick Queue, I'd consider it since you're so limited on time there.

The bus will not depart from Busch Gardens on time from my experience. Unlike a bus on a TPR tour where a 4:30 departure means a 4:30 departure, the bus driver wouldn't leave until everyone was there. He said that before we got off the bus. So those of us who got there early were penalized as a few casually sauntered over to the bus a good 15-20 minutes late.

^I don't really have much of a plan for that area, just yet. Am not terribly familiar with it. Maybe check out the Icon area. See they have a trolley which should help a bit.

I'll level with you: Disney Springs is nice. It is a good commercial development with some of the best restaurants in Central Florida. They are also pricey restaurants. It has, at present, nothing to really do other than go to movies or Cirque, which is also comparatively pricey. I-Drive has lots of tourist traps, but also those traps are exceedingly expensive for what they are (think $12-15 for rides on Starflyers or 1st gen S&S towers). TBH, I think it's a waste of your time to do it when you could be going to Busch Gardens instead. Busch, SeaWorld, Fun Spot, and Aquatica is a helluva trip. Tons of fun, great rides, great parks.

I couldn’t purchase my flight ticket before yesterday afternoon and by then a Tuesday departure had doubled in price, so I’m cutting a day off my trip, which is alright. Knowing what I do now about the shuttle if I had the time, the three day ticket would be a no brainer. It’s good to get that advice on I-drive and Disney Springs. I’m not going to sweat it too much if I see em both or for long. Here’s what I’m looking at.

Wednesday: Arrive at 10 AM, Uber or Lyft to GKTW and volunteer until evening, head to Fun Spot Kissimmee for a few hours. Can also check out old town a bit

Thursday: Uber over to SeaWorld for 9 AM Busch Gardens shuttle. Return to SeaWorld lot around 6, 6:30. Fun Spot Orlando until midnight.

Friday: SeaWorld until close at 5, evening is open do Disney Springs or I-Drive of other.

Saturday: volunteer GKTW, head to airport for 5:30 PM flight

I'll level with you: Disney Springs is nice. It is a good commercial development with some of the best restaurants in Central Florida. They are also pricey restaurants. It has, at present, nothing to really do other than go to movies or Cirque, which is also comparatively pricey.

See, and I actually really enjoy Disney Springs. In fact, we are there almost as much as we are at the parks, but then again we also really enjoy a lot of the restaurants and places to hang out there. And I'm one that hardly ever goes to the movies and I've never once seen Cirque at Disney Springs! (It's closed right now anyway!)

It's one of my favorite places on property to just go "walk around" later at night. I'm usually there 2-3 days a week not doing anything more than just enjoying its existence!

There are several options for hotels in the area of fun spot that you can do on the cheap side. Here are a few, plus the motel 6 options. Motel 6 is not the Ritz, , but if you are looking for a cheap spot to lay your head for under $40 a night.

As far as SeaWorld goes, we bought the passes. I cant remember the exact price, but it came out to be slightly cheaper for the pass than it was to go for 2 days.

Hope this helps.

10377175_Screenshot_20180913-115853_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.6921e291eb1ffb6afed51fec44c9aadc.jpg

Motel 6 has several well priced options in the area.

Screenshot_20180913-115544_Hotelscom.thumb.jpg.3469aeef430b95aa53fdbbcdd6d376dc.jpg

Hotels.com has some deals as well

Screenshot_20180913-115645_Hotelscom.thumb.jpg.b5754410efc9f88674148b7b89912718.jpg

If you go the hotel route and not the Airbnb route then stay with Choice hotels since they’re running their “Stay Twice Get a Free Night” promotion right now. Hotel hop each night while you’re there and you’ll get enough points for a free night in the future (though points expire in 6 months if you don’t stay with them during that time). You need to register for the promotion though. If you need another hotel anywhere else before the promo ends you’ll get another 8,000 point delivery too since you’ll be at 3 stays.

You get 8,000 points no matter what, so stay at the cheapest hotels you're comfortable with. They have everything ranging from super cheap (Rodeway Inn and Econo Lodge) to intermediate (Clarion, Quality Inn and Sleep Inn locations that haven’t been updated) to very nice (Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites, Sleep Inn locations that have been updated and Ascend).

PS: Don’t stay at the Clarion near SeaWorld. The hotel is fine but they’re super stupid and don’t know how their own rewards program works.