Las Vegas Area Attractions Discussion

Attractions around The Vegas Area. Past, Present & Future
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Las Vegas Area Attractions Discussion

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:01 pm

SoCalJasonland wrote:
ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Climbing that many stairs sounds terrible, but you know, it's not the stupidest decision you could make in Las Vegas.

I am sure the stairs are there for people to escape the tower in the event of an emergency that knocks out the elevators. The fire dept may have to climb them but most people would be running down them if they were ever put to use.

Thank you SO MUCH! I never would have figured that out if you hadn't posted what you did. This is IMMENSELY valuable information, since I clearly didn't know it before and certainly couldn't have been referring to the Scale the Strat Marathon that was discussed in the post directly above.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby sfmman2000 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:44 pm

Interestingly enough, in the event of a fire the evacuation plan does not involve climbing down the stairs and instead there is an “open air” holding area just under the main floors.

https://www.firehouse.com/home/news/10544018/the-stratosphere-tower

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:24 pm

That is pretty interesting. I'd honestly be a bit nervous in that holding area still inside the building, but they've thought this through. Thanks for sharing!

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby DavidB » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:49 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:That is pretty interesting. I'd honestly be a bit nervous in that holding area still inside the building, but they've thought this through. Thanks for sharing!

I'm gonna have to agree. Given the option of waiting in the holding area of the burning building or taking the stairs...I'm probably taking the stairs, especially if there's any issues with the elevators in said building that are supposed to evacuate you from the holding area!

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby SoCalJasonland » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:43 pm

sfmman2000 wrote:Interestingly enough, in the event of a fire the evacuation plan does not involve climbing down the stairs and instead there is an “open air” holding area just under the main floors.

https://www.firehouse.com/home/news/10544018/the-stratosphere-tower

The tower does have safety features including water tanks in the tower and evac areas under the observation floors that are bare concrete and steel construction with low chances of burning or producing smoke. The problem becomes that the elevators may not open immediately after the fire and you may need to run downstairs to pee and refill your alcohol and beers :-)
I love to roam where the wild things are.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby Mr Stratosphere » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:23 am

Circus Circus is celebrating their 50th Anniversary today! I will be sharing some photos later today or tomorrow of the property though the years!

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:22 pm

Does anyone know if Desperado has been operating recently? I'll be driving down to California next Friday (the 14th) and was hoping to ride Desperado since I haven't ridden it in probably 5 or 6 years. The website says it will be operating 12-8 that day, but if it hasn't operated in several months, I'm not sure if I trust the website.

I also plan on riding the New York New York coaster (never done it before), but I think that one is much less of a wild card than Desperado in terms of operations and reliability.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:50 pm

^I think I remember someone posting that it ran at some point in the last few months? I remember this because I was about to post, wow, I think it's really dead based on photos, reports, locals, and lack of anything and then Bam! Out of nowhere it randomly ran one day!?!?

If no one can help you out, I hope that you go just so you can update us on the status of that whole complex.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby ryder » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:57 pm

I'd appreciate the Desperado update as well. There's a lot of mixed reports, but signs seem to point to "don't get your hopes up."

With Speed gone, really, the best two coasters in Vegas are El Loco and Canyon Blaster at Adventuredome. For an Arrow, Canyon Blaster rides surprisingly well, and is much more forceful and more intense (in a good way) than a typical Arrow. And comparatively, pretty smooth (again, comparatively).

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:12 pm

Whether it's operating or not, I'll still plan on stopping and checking the place out. I care more about riding the Big Apple Coaster since it's new to me (I know, I know, it's a terrible coaster), but I figured Desperado would be a nice bonus too since I haven't ridden it in years. Heck, I've been to Cedar Point twice and ridden Magnum probably a half dozen times since I've last ridden Desperado.

I'll post any photos/findings here after I go. I'm just as interested as you guys. I actually like the coaster quite a bit.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!