bert joins TPR on the 2018 USA trip

Day 12 - Day 3 Cedar Point, last day of trip - now updated
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Re: bert joins TPR on the 2018 USA trip

Postby bgtlover » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:29 pm

TBpony414 wrote:Bert, where is that peanuts pirate ride? I can't believe I haven't been on that thing! Is it near Woodstock Express?

Here is a pic from this year I took of it. It's across from Woodstock Express. I hadn't ridden it personally, but looks like a lot of fun. I don't do rides that spin around well...lol
IMG_0037.JPG

PP.JPG
Coaster Count: 130
Top 10:

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:04 pm

^ yep. .it's right by Woodstock.

it moves pretty fast, and the boats turn, so you're 1st facing the boat in front of you, then you flip backwards and are face to face with the boat behind you. .then flip back. . all while going pretty fast in a "Music Express" type circle.

it was a ton of silly fun :)
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby bert425 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:12 pm

rcjp wrote:Great report! I still can't really believe how we managed to hit so many rides given that they pretty much closed everything twice while we were there (if I remember correctly).

And the takeover on Woodstock Express was pretty amazing :) I got a lot more airtime in the back than I expected which was quite scary as I'm relatively sure I could easily come out of those restraints if I wanted to. :lol:

your memory is correct!. . it was twice they shut everything down for weather (including from when we first arrived).

by the way, one of my favorite things about this picture is how the "Counselor" - what they call the staff in Camp Snoopy area -- is helping you secure your seatbelt! Makes your comment all the better :)
IMG_4611.JPG
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby bert425 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:15 pm

TBpony414 wrote:Bert, where is that peanuts pirate ride? I can't believe I haven't been on that thing! Is it near Woodstock Express? Unfortunately due to illness on my end and spending half the day in a Charlotte urgent care, our trip to Carowinds was very short this year and we didn't get on anywhere near as much as I wish we could have. Will look for the pirate ride next year!

Mom and I had a similar experience on the wild mouse. "Wow this thing is crazy smooth! Whee!! Yippee, haha! No brakes on this thing, heck yea--AAAHHHHHHH!!! (possibly ruptured spleens)" LOL. Those final brakes will really hurt you if you're not expecting it... which we certainly weren't. I love Carolina Goldrusher and always ride it multiple times. FYI Hurler in the front seat with the Coasterbill method is actually a pretty good ride. Really enjoying your report!!

I'm glad you're feeling better, Liz. . know you've had a really rough year.

youtube Peanuts Pirates to see how it moves..I think you'll love it!

and too funny that we had the exact same experience on the Wild Mouse. . yeah, those brakes catch one off guard.

I really did like the Mine Train, and if we hadn't been limited on time due to weather, likely would have ridden it a couple more times. . tho I made up for it with multiple rides on Intimidator, Fury 325, and the Carousel :p

Postby bert425 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:08 am

Day 4: BGW

After the full day at Carowinds, we got to sleep in a little bit this morning, and the bus pulled out sharply at 9:30am to head to Virginia. After a lunch stop, and swinging by the hotel to check in, we all hopped back on the bus for a late afternoon arrival to Busch Gardens Williamsburg.

We didn’t have quick queue this day, but since we arrived late afternoon (on a Thursday), it wasn’t really all that crowded, and before long we had gathered over by InvadR for distribution of our wristbands (for later that evening’s ERT), and then were let loose in the park for the remainder of the day.

as with the prior park, my “oldies” group hung together, and started working our way around the park, starting right away with Le Scoot (as it was right next door to InvadR, which we skipped for now, as we’d be riding it later). . . turned out we weren’t the only ones on the trip with this idea, since another group of TPR members were only slightly behind us in line.

at about 20 minutes, Le Scoot ended up being the longest line we waited in for this 1st day at BGW. It moved rather quickly, and before we knew it, were crammed in a log. The ride didn’t get us too wet, just some spritzing, but I purposely pulled my hat way down over my face to remove the temptation I’d have to buy the flume pic – my spouse would NEVER forgive me if I brought home a flume pic without both of us in it, LOL.

once we had ridden Le Scoot, we headed over to Griffon, for a few rides, as it was basically walk on. And conveniently is right next to the big Ice Cream Parlor, where some of the group bought massive milkshakes, that had all kinds of toppings on them (I saved my splurge for Hershey).

We then continued our way counter-clockwise around the park, stopping to ride Alpengeist – which I did like better than my prior ride on it a few years ago when I had been forced to sit in the big boy seat in Row 5. This time I sat in row 2, and could see the transitions coming and brace for them. While I did like it better this time, it is still a bit too forceful for me, so it was only a 1 and done, but hey, I got on it again! so yay me.

We passed the closed Curse of DarKastle (booooo.. it just had a sad tent store set up in front of the entrance), and then headed over to Mach Tower, which we saw was running.

We followed the instructions of the operator on where to stand on the colored squares in the queue: “you go to yellow, you go to blue”. . and then they moved us to the closer area that also had the colored squares to stand in – which didn’t tie at all to any marking around the actual ride. Basically it was like “Yellow square, follow me” and then they would just sit you in an open seat, in front of the red circles that were on the ground in front of each seat.

I was chatting with the “colored square director” and said, “we saw it running, and I’ve heard the ride is not always operating, so we came right over to ride” to which she said “oh, that’s from when it first opened, it runs pretty much all the time with no problems now”

so we got our ride in (finally rode a drop tower on the trip, yay!), and as we get off? The ride goes down. . LOL. It was down, I think for the rest of this evening, but at least we got a ride on it.

we headed over to Verbolten, which is right next to it, and as we were getting ready to put our stuff into fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo, it too went down. The greeter at the entrance said that it had been having issues all day (from what we saw, it appeared that it was the green train that was having “restraint” issues). . so we decided we’d try to wait it out and head over to the BeerHall to check that out . . and besides, that’s where the toilets are in this area.

It was a good call, although the BeerHall was crowded due to a show going on (seemed most of the people in the park were in here, based on line length everywhere else), so yeah, the place was crowded. But you know what wasn’t crowded?

The line for the .40 cents beer, celebrating the 40th anniversary of Loch Ness Monster!

Ok, it was Coors Lite, but still, it was a pretty decent size glass of beer for .40. : )

So we watched the show (sort of), and drank our beers, and of course, went and got the 2nd glass each person was allowed to get. Then headed back towards Verbolten, which still down.

we knew we had most of the day the next day, so we cut our losses and continued around the park, across the bridge thru Italy, and over to Tempesto (those “comfort collars” are NOT comfortable. . ), and Apollo’s Chariot, which was running super smooth and we took a couple of laps on.

since we were right there, and the ride was still open (it closes an hour before the park does), some of us decided to take a spin on Roman Rapids. Those that didn’t want to ride said they would wait for us, and we knew they were going right to the water cannons – we even warned the folks that got into the raft with us. Sure enough, not only did they try to spray us (mostly missed – HA), but they nailed the other folks in the raft. Didn’t really matter, as Roman Rapids sends you down a straight-away with 4-5 waterfalls, that pretty much drench the raft.

Tho we ended up pretty wet, we were STILL less wet than we had gotten on Thunder River at SFoG. . go figure. (luckily we were all prepared with plastic bags, so phones, admission tickets – still paper at BGW! – and wallets all survived with no issues.

we knew Journey to Atlantis was closed, as the fire that had broken out recently made some big news. . but BGW still had someone having to sit out there and turn people away (yes, even tho there was an empty boat sitting halfway up the lift, some folks still thought the ride was operating. I do not understand some people sometimes.

so we headed past that to Loch Ness Monster, and got a ride in, with the “new” lighting effects inside the helix-mountain (basically a strobe light). . . I didn’t notice it being any less head-bangy than it had been with the “old” trains, but the new trains might have made it slightly worse with the hard rubber headrests. Still, for a 40 year old Arrow, it wasn’t bad at all.

it was getting close to time for meet up for InvadR ERT, so we decided to give Verbolten another shot, and used the path down beneath LNM to cut across to the back of the park. . passing right by the Carousel -- that the meanies I was with didn’t want to stop to ride. Yeah, yeah, I know, I could have gotten on it myself, but I knew we were there the next day and I’d have my chance. . and besides, Verbolten was the only coaster (other than InvadR) we had missed, so I stayed with the group and we got there to see it operating. We quickly jumped in line, but just as quickly realized that with the way the operations were going, there was no way we’d be able to get a ride in without being late for the meet up at InvadR.

so putting it off until tomorrow, most of the group headed over to New France, while Jon and I decided that it was time to eat something, and you know what’s right across from the Verbolten queue? The pretzel place!

Sadly, the Bacon Wrapped Pretzel wasn’t on the menu here, tho most other options were. I ended up getting a Turkey and Cheese pretzel sandwich, which I ordered without the side of Chips (Jon also ordered his without the chips. . which takes $1 off the price). . but I guess because it was so close to the end of the night, they loaded up our plates with chips anyways. I have to say, my Turkey & Cheese Pretzel sandwich was fantastic (despite the heartburn it gave me later that night because I ate so late), and the chips I tried were decent. They didn’t go to waste, as I got to give them away to some TPR folks who enjoyed them. . and I finally got to meet Chuck, and LarryGator, who came out to meet the group at BGW, and who were both an absolute pleasure to meet.

all in all, we got a ton done in the park in only 4-5 hours, including rides (and re-rides) on most of the major coasters without quick queue, but now the park was closing and it was time to experience InvadR, which I absolutely loved. So many bunny hops, and this little sucker hauls. . fast and fun, and in the darkness it took a few rides to figure out the layout. Think I ended up riding 8-9 times during our ½ hour of ERT, and the fun was added to by the Operator, who was telling “Dad” jokes over the microphone before dispatching the trains. Great, great fun, and an excellent addition to BGW’s coaster line up. Not my favorite coaster there, but in the top 3.

after such a great day, it was time to head back to the Hotel to get some rest, since we were getting up early to load luggage on the bus, before heading back to BGW for most of the day on Friday.
Verbolten was on my radar to get, as was the new Battle for Eire!
IMG_4654.JPG
on the drive, view out the window of Virginia
IMG_4655.JPG
I guess I thought the clouds and river were pretty, as I took several pics of them from the bus . . .
IMG_4657.JPG
we're here! and they have a photo op set up before the main gates? so of course I climbed in (before Robb took the main pic of the whole group here too).
IMG_4659.JPG
the theming around InvadR is great. it fits in so well in this area of the park.
IMG_4660.JPG
Chuck told me a funny story about how when they first opened this up, the battering ram over the main entrance was a bit more "masculine". . . LOL

the design work on it is great, as I said above.
IMG_4661.JPG
they still have the layout teaser poster up, which I thought was really cool - since you can't really see what the ride is from the entrance plaza.

Perfect for a family ride. . let folks know what to expect.
IMG_4662.JPG
in queue at Le Scoot. . our longest wait this afternoon.
IMG_4663.JPG
more TPR folks behind us in the Le Scoot line.
IMG_4664.JPG
what's this? what's this?

we came here headed for a potty break, but discovered a whole service line dedicated to just this!
IMG_4666.JPG
l'chaim

(aka: a Brit, a Canadian, and a Jew walk into a bar. . . . )
IMG_4668.JPG
there was a show going on in here too. hard to follow what the heck was going on (and the noise (and the beer) didn't help matters). . but they were giving it their all up there on the center stage.
IMG_4670.JPG
come to Daddy!
IMG_4672.JPG
after beer, it was time to make some wine.

Luuuucy. . . .I'm home!
IMG_4673.JPG
a picture no one has ever gotten! and didn't even need to stand there too long to get this.
IMG_4681.JPG
on Tempesto back row! . . pic, courtesy (I think) of Darryl.

I thought he got a pic of me "attacking" the "comfort" collar. . but I guess I don't have that pic :p
IMG_4674.JPG
and off we go!
IMG_4677.JPG
pic of us on Roman Rapids. . . pretty sure that was Phil who took the pic, after saying he didn't want to ride.
we expected them to be standing by the water cannons. . and they were.
IMG_4678.JPG
missed us for the most part (premature water cannon firing). . .didn't matter anyways, as the wall of waterfalls got us drenched.
IMG_4680.JPG
another pic no one has ever taken.
(not 100% sure this one is mine tho. . so I think photo credit might go to Andy)
IMG_4682.JPG
this was a spectacular pic of Alpengeist that i have on my camera roll. . might be mine, or might be Brad Roach. . so crediting just to be safe!
IMG_4675.JPG
InvadR entrance sign looks fantastic at night!
IMG_4679.JPG
selfie with the giant tree-troll thing in Ireland, on our way out of the park, after our ERT
IMG_4683.JPG
riding InvadR -- photo credit Robb Alvey
IMG_4752.JPG
upon arrival at the park, they had the roaming misters out - spraying down guests to help with the heat of the day.

loved this. . . . here's Phil, myself and Russ getting spritzed
(Pic by Robb Alvey)

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:49 am

Look fantastic. 40 cent beer! Looks like they're finally getting back to their AB roots.

Postby bert425 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:08 am

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Look fantastic. 40 cent beer! Looks like they're finally getting back to their AB roots.

I had heard they were doing it, but totally forgot!

it was a pleasant surprise when we went into the Festhaus.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:17 pm

I was curious how they handled the "two beers per guest per day" thing, with the 40 cent beers.
Do you have to use your park ticket to get them, and then they'll know, because it's already 'marked'?

By the way, I do realize it was Coors Lite (ugh) they were selling, but it's still cheap beer to some.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby bert425 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:45 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:I was curious how they handled the "two beers per guest per day" thing, with the 40 cent beers.
Do you have to use your park ticket to get them, and then they'll know, because it's already 'marked'?

By the way, I do realize it was Coors Lite (ugh) they were selling, but it's still cheap beer to some.

very high tech -- there is a lady at the register taking your .40, and there is a lady next to her with a sharpie, and she makes a mark on your hand.

when you get your 2nd beer, she makes a 2nd mark on your hand with the sharpie.

(yeah, very easy to wipe off if one wanted to, but why? don't need cheap beer that much).

and I will note - as you'll see when I update day 2 -- that despite the beer being different the next day (they apparently swap out the offerings every other day), we didn't go back to the FestHaus for the cheap beer, but instead I had cider in the Irish Pub.

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:52 pm

Just getting caught up on your reports, Bert...I was dying over the Plants Versus Zombies and the Yo-Yo bra comments as well as some of the other thoughts and observations that you had during your visits - keep it going, my friend! :b

Yeah, $.040 for a Coors Lite sounds about right. :lol:

Seriously though...that was a cool thing for them to do. I might even drink one or two for that price. ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!