bert joins TPR on the 2018 USA trip

Day 12 - Day 3 Cedar Point, last day of trip - now updated
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: bert joins TPR on the 2018 USA trip

Postby Philrad71 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:51 pm

Yah...that photo of the adult carousel was all sorts of wrong, but yet amazing at the same time. lol

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:05 pm

Great reports!

I too am interested to see what Fun Spot does with all that land. They have the flexibility to do a lot more with it than their Kissimmee and Orlando parks.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Adventureland (Iowa) & Arnolds Park

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:40 pm

I love it when one finds something a bit "extra" in a park i.e. that loving couple on the Carousel. :smile:

Great TR of SFoG, Bert. I'm with you all along the way, on this tour. =)
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby bert425 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:07 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:I had no idea they had such a special carousel. Looks really great!

I believe it's one of only 3 in the world still running that's a 5-across. and it's at a Six Flags!
Good on them. . . King's Dominion also has a very classic Carousel that just celebrated 100 years last year.

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:
Glad you all had a good time riding the Twisted Cyclone, but of course you did. RMC hasn't made a bad one yet (just one that doesn't work...).

heh. . .well. . keep reading. I'm not a huge fan of ejector air, and there's a lot of that on the newer RMCs. . .and that on some of the upcoming rides did me no favors.

but the fact that Twisted Cyclone is so short, made it super re-ride-able for me.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby bert425 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:09 pm

Philrad71 wrote:Yah...that photo of the adult carousel was all sorts of wrong, but yet amazing at the same time. lol

LOL. . yeah, if you notice in my pics, the close up is from a different chariot. .so TWO of them had the adult-ish stuff going on. . .tho the one I took the close up of, certainly had more boobage in it.

It delighted me to stumble across that :)
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby bert425 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:10 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:Great reports!

I too am interested to see what Fun Spot does with all that land. They have the flexibility to do a lot more with it than their Kissimmee and Orlando parks.

there's a ton of space in the grassy area too. . . that looked like at one point was a ropes course, or maybe another zip line?

Wonder if there might be a wooden coaster of some sort eventually coming to that spot. Love what they are starting to do, and as noted, planning on making return trips there next time I'm in Atlanta.

Postby bert425 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:13 pm

boldikus wrote:Off to a great start, Bert!

coasterbill wrote:Great report! That park looks super weird and fun. I can't wait to check it out.

Nrthwnd wrote:Great TR of SFoG, Bert. I'm with you all along the way, on this tour. =)

thanks y'all !

will try to update every other day or so, as I find time, but glad you're enjoying!

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:44 am

bert425 wrote:heh. . .well. . keep reading.

Ooh, ominous foreshadowing. :D

Postby bert425 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:22 pm

Day 3: Carowinds

We were up and out of the Hotel by 9:30 the next morning, and on the way to Carowinds, another new park for me.

There were a lot of storms in the forecast, and although we ended up having near perfect weather the entire trip, the threat of storms in the area did keep causing some sections of the park to close down several times – tho pretty much everything opened back up during our visit.

When we first arrived, pretty much the only things operating were the indoor rides, so we did Boo Blasters, as well as Plants vs Zombies (what the hell is that?? The moment the seat started moving, I immediately put down my “shooter” and hung on for dear life! I didn’t want to get tossed onto the floor from a shooting “ride”, LOL).

by the time that was done, there still wasn’t much open from the area storms shutdown, but the Yo-Yo was operating, so I got to experience among the most bizarre restraint of the trip – not only a “seat belt”, but also a “chest belt” that was like a super-tight bra, that you had to suck in to get it clipped and fell right across ones nipples. . . it was so, so bizarre.
Especially since it was a very, very tame cycle, so not sure what they were trying to secure the rider against.

I got off this scratching my head, and was so flummoxed by it, didn’t even take a picture. But I don’t get it. . .

the Bumper Cars were also open, so some of my group got a ride on that (looked like it was in an old carousel building, an odd "round" bumper car space. as they were on the Bumper Cars, we got a text from Robb asking if anyone was interested in meeting over by Fury 325, as the park was wanting to do something, but he wasn’t sure what.

Since not much was open, most of the TPR folks showed up to meet, and it turned out they were looking to interview people who had never ridden Fury 325 on what they thought of it – which implied they were going to be opening it soon. Sure enough, within a few moments, they opened up the ride, and with our Fastlane, I got a couple of back to back rides on it (which blew me away), and then I stood for a brief interview on what I thought of the coaster. (I said it felt like what I imagine sitting on top of a bullet train would feel like). Not sure if they are going to use the testimonials, but I’m glad I participated.

shortly after then. . pretty much everything in the park opened up, tho the crowds had thinned a bit due to the weather. So the group I had been hanging with headed over to Afterburn (a fantastic inverted coaster), followed by a couple of rides on Intimidator (very different from the one at Kings Dominion, with a TON of airtime hills), before heading into Camp Snoopy to ride Woodstock Express, a Junior Woodie – which ended up being an unintended TPR takeover since many folks from the trip ended up in every seat :) .

We also got to ride Peanuts Pirates (a Seesturmbahn – which is the same one that I recently rode in MarineLand in Canada, although this one had the boats turning as they moved, as the ride is intended to run). Big stupid fun, and the pics I got from it are so blurry, it was moving really fast for a ride in Camp Snoopy.

and then we bumped into Charlie Brown! So character meet up credit goal, CHECK!

I’d never been on a Vekoma Flyer, so I asked my group to go on it, and we headed over to NightHawk. . and wow. If I hadn’t been giggling the entire ride, I would have absolutely hated this. It was painful, it was shaky, and the blood rushing to one’s head when they tilt the seat back is brutal. *but* I felt like a fat lady in the 1950’s strapped into one of those weight belt machines. . it jiggled me the entire time, and I was giggling my ass off!

From the lift hill on this we saw storms (and funnel clouds) off in the distance, and as we came back into the station, they announced that things were closing again due to storms in the area. . so it was time to head over to Harmony Hall for an unofficial TPR takeover to eat – at least until the live entertainment (a 60's/70’s/80's - one era each set - cover band) started. . LOL. .that’s when the group started to scatter.

I didn't think the cover band was "bad". . tho it was odd to see a group entirely made up of Caucasians covering a whole set of Motown hits.

we never did get any rain, and after a bit, rides started opening back up again – but this time it had really killed crowds, and most things became station waits. So we knocked out Kiddie Hawk (a Vekoma Jr. suspended, that was on Russ' wish list since they had been denied riding it his prior visit. . but he fit in the restraints this time), which was a *little* head bangy, in particular in the final helix (so I guess it was "Junior headbangy"). Also, in a VERY "Six Flags move", the recorded announcement at the end of the ride thanked us "for riding the Great Race, Ariel Chase" (the name the coaster used to be called before renaming Kiddie Hawk. . LOL.

we also grabbed rides on the Carolina Goldrusher (a pretty decent mine train, that actually crosses State lines during the ride), and Ricochet – the wild mouse, which was running with no braking. . . .until it did (my Ribs ache just thinking about it) but it was fun.

Made a conscious decision to skip Flying Cobras (Boomerang) and the Carolina Cyclone (Arrow Corkscrew), as well as Hurler (no thank you!). .but otherwise, got all the coasters in.

I didn’t get to ride a ton of flats at Carowinds, since we were limited on time, and that time was impacted by the weather a bit, but I did get to ride the Skytower observation ride (some great pics from that) and a few other things.

I regret missing the Drop Tower (I didn’t realize it had opened after the weather, until I saw later on, someone post a picture from it). . so that was two parks in a row where I didn’t ride the drop tower, as Acrophobia had been down at SFoG.
I also really regret not making it back over to the County Fair section, as I would have ridden the Trioka, the Electro Spin, and the Music Express).. but rather than go back that way towards the end of the night? I wanted to make sure I didn’t miss the Carousel!

the Grand Carousel at Carowinds is again, a PTC Carousel, but this one is only 3 across, although all 3 rows go up and down. This one also didn’t have an organ, and again was piping music in, but at least it was Carousel music. It was pretty bare bones, with nothing fancy in the painting, or the design. . it also ran a really short cycle, which surprised me as we were really the only ones riding it at the end of the evening. But it did look lovely all lit up.

the highlight of this Carousel for me was the individual horses all had names painted on them. I looked for a “bert” but no luck, so I went for my back up choice, a pretty pink pony (with Breast Cancer Ribbons), named “Princess”. . seemed appropriate!

after our Carousel rides, it was starting to get close to closing time, and I had a choice of either going back to County Fair to ride some flats, or head towards the front to do some shopping.

Carowinds was a new park for me, and I wanted some magnets, and a Tshirt or two, so headed up to the front gates, and bought a few things, and then headed back to Thrill Zone to close out our night at Carowinds with some ERT on Fury 325 (which blew me away at night, that ampersand turn-around, with the drop into the tunnel under the entrance plaza is incredible at night).

The stragglers leaving the park on the bridge waving to us as we went under them, was a fun added bonus. Tho I didn't take a "solo" ride on Fury325, I did get a good 8 or 9 rides in at night. . . under a full moon. This ride is brilliant.

all in all, another great visit to a park, and the trip had just barely started!
IMG_4581.JPG
On the bus on the way to Carowinds! (another new park for me)
IMG_4583.JPG
and here!. . looking overcast, tho not raining.
IMG_4584.JPG
guess I'm hanging left in South Carolina
IMG_4587.JPG
oh Russ?. . that water fountain seems to be in the ladies room?
IMG_4589.JPG
such a great coaster, and was a fantastic ride once things started opening up.
IMG_4590.JPG
Intimidator thru the trees
IMG_4591.JPG
IMG_4611.JPG
TPR takeover on Woodstock Express. Unplanned. .we just all happened to show up at the same time and each took a row.

the expression on the woman waiting in line was priceless. . she had no idea what was going on.
IMG_4593.JPG
Russ and I met Charlie Brown.

Thumbs up!
IMG_4598.JPG
the sky cleared up, and the Skytower was operating. Tho Windseeker and the Drop Tower still seemed to be down.

we made a plan to hit the Skytower, but first. . . Intimidator!
IMG_4600.JPG
but first, guess I should try out the test seat. Am I doing this correctly?

(yeah, my inner 12 year old came out).
IMG_4601.JPG
Since we had ridden Fury 325 1st, this one wasn't quite as intense. .but still really loved this.
and the seating configuration is so funky!
IMG_4602.JPG
IMG_4603.JPG
see what I mean about the seating?
IMG_4604.JPG
my Spouse is a huge Dale Earnhardt fan, so made sure to get a couple of pics for him.
IMG_4605.JPG
IMG_4607.JPG
Russ demonstrates how to eat a foot long chili cheese dog in Harmony Hall.
IMG_4608.JPG
the cover band. . .
IMG_4653.JPG
courtesy of Andy (the Great Zo).. me on Boo Blasters
IMG_4613.JPG
I'm almost as tall as Fury 325!
IMG_4619.JPG
the pic one must get at Carowinds (tho the pic taker cut off the Carowinds sign on top :p). . the band playing behind was also a cover band, and they were decent too.
IMG_4622.JPG
Pics from the Skytower:
IMG_4623.JPG
NightHawk, and construction site
IMG_4624.JPG
NightHawk & Kiddie Hawk
IMG_4625.JPG
Intimidator & Afterburn in the background
IMG_4626.JPG
close up on the construction site
IMG_4627.JPG
Intimidator
IMG_4628.JPG
Fury 325
IMG_4629.JPG
love the neon green on the lift hill
IMG_4630.JPG
IMG_4631.JPG
Ricochet, Hurler, Screamweaver (Enterprise) and assorted stuff.
IMG_4632.JPG
time for another spin or two on Intimidator!
IMG_4633.JPG
wheee
IMG_4634.JPG
IMG_4636.JPG
and then the carousel. . . innt Princess pretty?
IMG_4639.JPG
Laura was happy to ride the Carousel with me (even tho a short cycle).
IMG_4640.JPG
Princess. . with a pink ribbon on her!
IMG_4641.JPG
Lovely early evening shot of Fury325, courtesy of Brad Roach
IMG_4645.JPG
the entrance looks fantastic at night!
IMG_4648.JPG
hard to get a pic of it lit up, but the "wings" flicker on this sign. it was rather cool.
IMG_4652.JPG
Love this lift hill shot, a pic shared to the group by PKI Jizzman
IMG_5516.JPG
the shirt I bought for me at the front gate gift shop.
IMG_5517.JPG
the shirt I bought for my Spouse
IMG_5527.JPG
magnet #1 I bought
IMG_5530.jpg
magnet #2
Last edited by bert425 on Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:35 pm.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:52 pm

^ I was wondering if you got yourself a shot with that (what do they call it?) "states dividing pole."
Great TR of Carowinds, Bert! Too bad the weather wasn't being totally perfect for you all, that day. :smile:
Nice t-shirts and magnets, too!
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!