Daytona Beach roller coaster derails

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Re: Daytona Beach roller coaster derails

Postby Skittles » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:45 am

While a very sad incident indeed, I can see this ride getting scrapped because of this. Assuming Boardwalk Amusements is a family park, no parent would want to take their kids on a coaster that derailed. If it re-opens, it would massively lose popularity. And maybe, because this coaster is 40-50 years old and quite the traveler, assuming the maintenance was kept up well, it might've just been the coaster reached the end of it's service life. I have no affiliation with the park, but I predict it won't be around much longer.
Coaster Count - 183

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby thedazza » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:49 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:That picture is horrifying. It's a dark photo so it's hard to tell, but I can't even see any track near the train.

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:52 am

^That is some people's literal nightmare involving roller coasters right there... This won't help the industry very much.

^^The incident could open up a new can of worms involving the actual condition of the coaster leading up to this derailment. So sad and frightening to hear of this, and hope everyone involved recovers well.
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:02 am

Skittles wrote:While a very sad incident indeed, I can see this ride getting scrapped because of this. Assuming Boardwalk Amusements is a family park, no parent would want to take their kids on a coaster that derailed. If it re-opens, it would massively lose popularity. And maybe, because this coaster is 40-50 years old and quite the traveler, assuming the maintenance was kept up well, it might've just been the coaster reached the end of it's service life. I have no affiliation with the park, but I predict it won't be around much longer.

Calling this a "park" is being generous. I feel like most people show up to Daytona beach and think "oh cool, there's a fireman's carnival in town this week".

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby djcoastermark » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:55 pm

Interesting little update. The coaster had been inspected earlier in the day by the Fla Dept of Agriculture. There is a video from the news that shows some pretty good views of the undercarriage of the dangling coaster car. Here's a link to the story. http://www.wfla.com/news/florida/daytona-beach-roller-coaster-was-inspected-hours-before-derailment-state-official-says/1241825572

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby djcoastermark » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:32 pm

Just to add, if the Fla Dept of Ag sounds familiar and has been in the news lately, it has. The same Dept of Ag that couldn't log on for a year doing background checks for concealed weapons permits.

Postby coasterbill » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:30 am

The park is now on social media claiming that Sandblaster isn’t theirs. It’s privately owned by some dude named Ed Kennedy. They promote this ride constantly on social media but their stance is now basically... “Sandblaster? What Sandblaster?”

The weird part is that this appears to be technically true, though Ed and his partner operated the entire place until about a year ago. Different parts of this place seem to be operated by totally different groups of people and it seems like they’re starting to play the blame game.

Postby coasterbill » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:22 pm

So state inspectors and independent engineers released some preliminary reports from their investigation and... wow.

Basically, they found evidence of multiple crashes / derailments that were covered up and never reported including one "very recent" accident where it damaged the brake structure when it derailed and the park painted over the evidence. The extended history of derailments apparently damaged the safety (upstop) wheel system and the structure itself. They're implying that they “either knew or should have known that the ride was operating in a manner that presented a serious risk of injury to patrons.” It seems obvious that they knew since they were painting over evidence of derailments but I'd imagine that the people filing this report can't come right out and say that.

Here's probably the most damning excerpt from the story:

“After dismantling part of the support structure to gain access to the site of the accident, the engineer found evidence of a previous derailment that occurred after the ride was refurbished and initially permitted in 2013,” state officials said in their report. “There was also evidence of other derailments that likely occurred prior to that year. A review of department records determined that no derailments were reported to the department.”

The engineers said they found evidence of a “very recent” accident that was “very similar” to the June 14 derailment and impact on the brake structure, but the evidence of that earlier crash was painted over.

State officials said it appears the ride owners and engineer who signed an affidavit attesting to the ride’s compliance with all regulations “either knew or should have known that the ride was operating in a manner that presented a serious risk of injury to patrons.”

Here's the full story, which goes into more detail and lays out some additional issues and findings.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!