TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags to operate Frontier City again

Frontier City will be rejoining the Six Flags family. Although the article announces the acquisition of five parks, please only discuss Frontier City in this thread.

Click here to discuss Darien Lake

Click hear to discuss the impact on Six Flags Corporate

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/six-flags-adds-five-more-201000971.html

Six Flags Adds Five More Parks to US Portfolio

May 22, 2018

GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--

Six Flags Entertainment Corporation (SIX), the world’s largest regional theme park company, today announced it has entered into a purchase agreement with affiliates of Premier Parks, LLC to acquire the lease rights to operate five parks owned by EPR Properties (EPR). The parks have previously been operated by Premier Parks, LLC of Oklahoma City. These latest acquisitions will expand the company’s portfolio of North American parks to twenty-five.

“Today’s announcement represents another milestone in our strategic North-American growth initiative to seek out park acquisitions that expand our addressable market,” said Six Flags Chairman, CEO, and President, Jim Reid-Anderson. “These are all fantastic properties that complement our existing portfolio and provide tremendous added value and cross-visitation opportunities for our extensive Membership and Season Pass base.”

The parks joining the Six Flags family are:

Wet n’ Wild Splashtown, Houston’s largest waterpark, with more than 48 lush acres and a wide selection of thrilling waterslides and attractions, along with two children’s areas;

Wet n’ Wild Phoenix, the largest waterpark in Arizona (located in the Adobe Dam Recreation Area), featuring 35 acres of high-speed slides and two pools, and also offering a Wet n’ Wild Jr. section with kid-friendly versions of some of the park’s most thrilling attractions;

Darien Lake near Buffalo, NY, a beautiful resort property located on approximately 1,000 acres that includes a theme park, waterpark, campground, hotel, and a 21,000-seat amphitheater;

Frontier City, an iconic part of the Oklahoma City landscape, is steeped in tradition. The park features a western theme and offers an extensive lineup of exciting rides, attractions, and shows geared to every member of the family; and

White Water Bay, near Frontier City, a tropical oasis with more than 25 acres of waterslides, interactive water play areas, and pools.

Six Flags is the largest regional theme park operator in the world and upon closing of the transactions, will be the largest waterpark operator in North America. With the addition of these five properties that entertained approximately two million guests in 2017, there will be an additional 20 million guests within a 100-mile radius of a Six Flags park, significantly expanding the company’s national footprint.

“We are thrilled to welcome these outstanding properties and employees into our family of parks and look forward to sharing the thrill of Six Flags with guests of all ages in these key markets,” added Reid-Anderson.

Closing of the transactions contemplated by the agreement is expected to occur in June, 2018 and is subject to customary closing conditions.

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Premier Parks (not the current company with the same name) was oklahoma city based and managed frontier city. In 1998 they purchased six flags and they became six flags. In around 2006 or 2007 six flags sold off frontier city. Now they are buying it back.

It's my local park. I'm pretty excited about this news. Right now I have A-LOT of questions that will be answered in the coming months. It does sound like business as usual from a operations stand point. I will be going Saturday to speak with some of the Park managers to get what there take is on this recent news. With Fright Fest it already has the same logo etc. as the Six Flags Parks. That was grandfathered in from it's previous ownership. This year they are expanding onto the season with "A Frontier Christmas" So will that be changed too Holiday in the Park? I do have many questions that will be answered in the coming months. The lighter side my GF said DON'T Do it when I told her that "I was going to show up to the parking lot booth this Saturday pool out my FC pass and my SF pass and ask them "Which one do I use?" Anyway I'm excited about this recent news with the two Oklahoma Parks.

I like the move I know the park will get a addition next season. Just by the Six Flags press release from last year on new attractions. This line stood out to me..

"President and CEO Jim Reid-Anderson. “Our strategy of providing something new in every park, every year, continues to delight our guests".

So this guarantees Frontier City will see a new attraction. The park is in desperate need for a tower ride. They have the location with a entrance, queue line and station house for a tower ride. It's the former Eruption location. I don't think the park will be neglected like the last time.

For one The park is still owned by EPR who owns Top Golf and Schlitterbahn Parks. EPR has deeper pockets then its former ownership CNL who main focus was sprucing up the park they have done a great job doing that this season. The park is very clean and well maintained and has great operations. So I like having Six Flags take over the management operations of the park once again this time I don't see the park getting neglected like the last time. I think Six Flags will keep the current staff at the park. A lot of them been there the last 5 years and they are truly passionate about the park.

• 3 weeks later...

This past Saturday they opened up Soaring Eagle Zip line. It is a very nicely done zip-line attraction that fly's you over the parks Main Street. You start off backward and return forward. While a on-board sound system blares old country western tunes. The sensation you get when you leave the launch pad is a falling out sensation. After that it's a nice little observational type of ride. here are some photos I took of Soarin' Eagle. I like that they have done minimal theme-ing but it still fits in the park right next to Winged Warrior and the Geronimo Sky Coaster.

P6110305.thumb.jpg.6f1aa7d628335c06db2e56dea3942740.jpg

P6110306.thumb.jpg.473494d5a027d0cd3660978332e2fd7f.jpg

P6110307.thumb.jpg.9e0115eb196407ff43ba24a5818e1c3d.jpg

P6110308.thumb.jpg.0f3e72a7ffe7e09946fae4d0b7f09c69.jpg

P6110309.thumb.jpg.b2c05ee4523d854a9f328e527b7f923e.jpg

They have this exact same zip line at cj Barrymores in Michigan. Have not been on it yet, but looks like fun.
They have quite a few of these ziplines across the country. There is another one like it that fly's over Turner Falls in Southern OK.

• 4 weeks later...

Today Frontier City posted about Fright Fest... I noticed something different yes I know Six Flags will be operating the parks. I noticed Instead of their normal logo they have used in the past it was the Six Flags Fright Fest logo on the posts. I know in the press release about the sale they stated the parks will operate as independent parks that you would not see any Six Flag changes till next season. So does this mean Frontier City will most likely be included in the upcoming national announcement day of new attractions? Will the other newly acquired parks will also be included in the national announcement?

Today Frontier City posted about Fright Fest... I noticed something different yes I know Six Flags will be operating the parks. I noticed Instead of their normal logo they have used in the past it was the Six Flags Fright Fest logo on the posts. I know in the press release about the sale they stated the parks will operate as independent parks that you would not see any Six Flag changes till next season. So does this mean Frontier City will most likely be included in the upcoming national announcement day of new attractions? Will the other newly acquired parks will also be included in the national announcement?

You're probably reading waaaaaaay too much into the use of a simple logo.

Six Flags has made a recent change to the price It cost for parking at Frontier City. The recent increase went from $9 to $15. I asked a representive about the price increase they said it is expected to increase more during Fright Fest. It is expected too rise to $20 before the end of the season to be inline with the rest of the Six Flag’s Parks.

1FFF1410-53BC-4329-A5C6-3FE532F55694.thumb.jpeg.d4f6debf517883570c972e0bbbeb0e3a.jpeg

Photo I took while waiting in line too park.

• 2 weeks later...

Either Frontier City is planning to expand the scare zone in the old eruption site area inside Wildcats infield or they are going to add a new ride in the area of the old Eruption. The park has started adding a perimeter fence around the old ride area and back into the infield. Curious to see what happens with this area in the future. Also if you have the season pass plan to the park. They have added A lot of new options too the dining plan like adding snack options. The BBQ items are now on the meal plan.

37890787_10217726837142235_6613086416962322432_n.jpg.04ea3ad36ca41840872d41cc2f0b664f.jpg

37895806_10217726837462243_7212394763192893440_n.thumb.jpg.c55d592a7203cd1277cdf78c7a474656.jpg

I was at the park yesterday and the park closed one of their up-charge attractions. Their Go-Cart attraction. During the weekends and events days the Go Cart Tracks is busy with decent amount of riders. During the week you will hardly see riders driving around the track. They boarded up the front entrance. Could they end up using the removed attraction for a scare zone for Fright fest? or Could there be a new attraction to take it's place? The area is plenty large enough for a small coaster. Like a S&S El Loco or jokingly, since it is now a Six Flag's park. Which Boomerang coaster will pop up in this location? LOL

19743521_38292810_10217776941034801_9092420086022537216_n(2).jpg.f9c68aa9611c3b05994b9275d82d62c3.jpg

Six Flags has made a recent change to the price It cost for parking at Frontier City. The recent increase went from $9 to $15. I asked a representive about the price increase they said it is expected to increase more during Fright Fest. It is expected too rise to $20 before the end of the season to be inline with the rest of the Six Flag’s Parks.

$9 was extremely low for parking at an amusement park. SF said they think they can double the EBIDTA of the 5 new parks, well $6 more for parking and if it goes to $20, a total increase of $11 hepls with the EBIDTA goal. The high cost of pricing is an enticement to buy a season pass or membership that includes parking. It will be very interesting how SF handles the season pass and memberships for the 2 new dry parks. Both now are at 79.99 for regular price in 2018.

Edited by Sven20

I emailed Six Flags corporate about how the season pass will be handled and what will be offered when they have their annual sale during the Labor Day weekend. I was told that they plan to offer the Gold Plus membership as would the Gold Plus Season Pass during the sale. If I go the route of getting a membership during the sale and I want too upgrade my membership I would have to wait till January to make the upgrade to the Diamond or Diamond Elite level. They said that it will take time too transfer and update the pass/membership systems that it is expected to fully be done by the end of the season.

I emailed Six Flags corporate about how the season pass will be handled and what will be offered when they have their annual sale during the Labor Day weekend. I was told that they plan to offer the Gold Plus membership as would the Gold Plus Season Pass during the sale. If I go the route of getting a membership during the sale and I want too upgrade my membership I would have to wait till January to make the upgrade to the Diamond or Diamond Elite level. They said that it will take time too transfer and update the pass/membership systems that it is expected to fully be done by the end of the season.

Gold plus membership ranges from $7.60/mth (Stl) to 8.95/mth(MM). Figure FC will be priced like Stl which comes to ovr the payments $91.20/yr + $20 security deposit or $103.20/yr with no security. deposit.

^I know this is beside the point, but as another data point, the list price for Gold Plus at SFOG is $7.25 a month (total charge is $7.69).

I’m hoping they don’t use the additional parks as an excuse to raise the membership prices significantly higher than we currently expect. Anyone else concerned they might do that? I hope we at least stay locked into our prices for long periods of time, with only rare minor increases, as before.

^I know this is beside the point, but as another data point, the list price for Gold Plus at SFOG is $7.25 a month (total charge is $7.69).

I’m hoping they don’t use the additional parks as an excuse to raise the membership prices significantly higher than we currently expect. Anyone else concerned they might do that? I hope we at least stay locked into our prices for long periods of time, with only rare minor increases, as before.

How did you get $7.69 total charge?

$9 was extremely low for parking at an amusement park.

Yet another unfortunate standard that Six Flags has set for the industry. In the OKC metro where cars rule, COL is low, and paid parking only exists in a few places, this isn't going over well. Eventually people will get used to it I guess, but it will cut down on casual visitors who just wanted to make one visit a year. Perhaps the increase in local passholders will make up for that. For me personally it's made me less likely to visit until they add something big, even though I live just up the turnpike. Just not worth $40+$20 when you can get into SDC for cheaper with free parking. Just my opinion - if I was right in the OKC metro maybe I would feel differently.

I did notice a lot of excitement over the deal to get cheaper SFOT tickets with a FC pass. Perhaps the rumors are true that the strategy really is just to help drive people to Dallas. This go kart site development is something I'll be watching intently to see if they are adding something big to make the park fresh and exciting again, or just something simple like a haunt to bring it closer to basic SF standards. I have a feeling it's the latter.

I learned yesterday that Frontier City will be adding a new event this season "OKtoberfest" . Not sure the exact dates or what it will entail. I did look up when it had it last that was when Six Flags last owned the park back in 2006. The last time it was held at the park it started the last two weekends of September and overlapped into the first weekend of Fright Fest. It was a German Food and Beer Festival like you expect out of Oktoberfest, With German music dancing performances. German vendors set up in Thunder Bird Plaza. I'm looking to get more details that sounds interesting something fun to add too the park during the downtime weekends before Fright Fest.