TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Do most coasters turn to the right?

Not sure why I even thought about this yesterday, but riding the coasters at SFOT I noticed when leaving the loading area if they turn to get to the main hill, they turn to the right to make the u-turn. So watching coaster videos I noticed the same thing. They make a right u-turn to get to the main hill. Is this a thing or just my experience?

Sorry wasn't sure where to post this ridiculous question.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be the first to provide a ridiculous answer...

I think it is a complete coincidence. Iron Rattler turns left to get to the lift hill. So do tons of other coasters like Ride of Steel at Darien Lake, Sky Rocket at Kennywood (even though it's a launch), Raptor and Valravn at Cedar Point, Patriot at CGA, Apocalypse at SFA, and tons and tons more that I haven't mentioned.

I've thought about weird stuff like this too, such as "are counterclockwise or clockwise zero-g rolls more common," and questions like this are nothing more than a coincidence I think. There's no way that much thought goes into small stuff like this, but it's fun to think about anyway.

Oh boy, the one's I have been on from the top of my head, Blue Streak at Cedar Point and Raptor turn left. I believe the Cedar Creek Mine Ride does too. The Red side on the Racer at Kings Island turns left. So does Banshee. Thunder Run at Kentucky Kingdom. Jack Rabbit at Kennywood turns left out of the station, and so does the left side of the Kennywood Racer. Wild Eagle at Dollywood, Tennessee Tornado. Plus the one's like Millennium Force, Maverick, Diamondback, and Top Thrill Dragster that don't turn at all...

Apocalypse, Gold Rusher, X2, and Twisted Colossus at SFMM all make left u-turns toward the lift hill, but that same park also has other coasters that turn to the right.

This is one of those odd questions that I've never thought about, but I'm seriously pondering it now that it's been brought up.

OMG great answers. But, I'm not talking about a left turn I'm talking about a complete u-turn so you're going the complete opposite direction of the loading area. It seems they u-turn to the right. NTxG, Titan and Judge all make the right u-turn. IDK.

Have you ever been to a park outside of Texas?

OMG great answers. But, I'm not talking about a left turn I'm talking about a complete u-turn so you're going the complete opposite direction of the loading area. It seems they u-turn to the right. NTxG, Titan and Judge all make the right u-turn. IDK.

Maybe the designers didn't watch enough NASCAR growing up?