Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Six Flags Magic Mountain Holiday in the Park
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri May 11, 2018 2:20 pm

joelwee wrote:I've been lurking in this thread for a while and just want to say your TRs are fantastic. The play-by-play reviews of rides and parks give a great visual to someone who's never visited those parks before.

I agree with you on the Batman B&M inverts... yeah, they're clones, but they're clones of a great ride.

Thank you! That's what I like to see in parks I've never been to (since it helps me judge whether or not I want to visit), so I'm glad I can help in return.

boldikus wrote:Just want to say loving the last few updates. Nice to end it with the best. Ole!

Thanks! El Toro was definitely a very deserving number 1 candidate on the Best Coaster Poll.

coasterbill wrote:Great report! That's a crazy amount of rides for such a short time at Great Adventure (especially considering the front seat Ka ride).

Thanks! For the most part, I've had good luck with Great Adventure on past trips. Ironically, the times I've had the worst queues are when I visit on weekdays.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Universal Studios Hollywood & Six Flags Magic Mountain

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun May 13, 2018 7:51 pm

Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier

Anytime a work trip arises, the first thing I do is investigate the nearby parks. I needed to travel to Mexico and noticed that I could force a multiday layover in Houston. With the two boardwalk parks and the allure of a shiny new RMC just a drive away at Six Flags Fiesta Texas, the decision was easy.

I almost had a panic attack when I realized midway through my flight that Houston had 2 airports and we weren't going to George Bush International where my rental car was. Fortunately JetBlue is awesome and their free (and amazing) WiFi made it easy to swap my reservation. After picking up the car, I was at the Galveston Island Historic Pleausre Pier (that name is a mouthful).

I purchased an Adventure Pass which was valid for the entire weekend at both GIHPP, Kemah Boardwalk, and an aquarium that I had no intentions of visiting. I found it interesting this boardwalk park wasn't free admission like most others, especially considering Landry's owns Kemah as well and they're free admission.

Park Entrance.jpg
This park would be impossible to recreate in Roller Coaster Tycoon. I think the park name exceeds the character limit.

With limited time, my first stop was the park’s star attraction, Iron Shark. The ride is incredibly compact, but it looks fantastic and dominates the pier. No one could possibly throw a tantrum over its appearance.

I walked right onto the front row and was ecstatic to see the lapbar only trains. I absolutely loved them on Hydrus since these EuroFighters can have some pretty quick transitions. Moments later I was ascending the lift. Vertical lifts are cool, but the sun always seems to position itself right above the lift. Fortunately there were gorgeous views of the Ocean and pier to my right and left.

The highlight of all EuroFighters is the drop. And Iron Shark’s doesn't disappoint. The already copious air is augmented by the lap bars. The following Immelmann is ridiculously tight and had me seeing grey on each ride. The ride then follows that up with 3 more transitions that come about as close to inverting as you can possibly get without technically inverting and even throws in this tiny little change of direction that gave a shocking pop of air like I305.

It's a perfect fit for the park. It packs an absolute wallop into a tight space. It does rattle a bit on some of the transitions, but without OSTRs it never becomes an issue. 8 out of 10

Iron Shark Immelmann.jpg
Pressed with limited space, Gerstlauer delivered this beauty.

Iron Shark Drop.jpg
Iron Shark could be the title of one of SyFy's Shark Week movies.

Iron Shark Train.jpg
Amen for lap bar only trains.

I decided to try Pirate's Plunge, the park’s flume. I'm not sure if it's an original layout or not, but it's more expansive than the standard boardwalk flumes I’ve encountered. They even add some pirate theming for good measure.

It was at this point I discovered the park’s perplexing glasses policy. On Iron Shark, I was told I needed a strap to ride which was no issue since I keep one handy. But glasses weren't allowed even with a strap on the flume. Weird but I wasn't going to object.

I was expecting a relatively dry flume but I knew I was porked after seeing the walls in close proximity to the first drop. Sure enough, the wall redirected the entire splash right back into the boat, soaking me from head to toe. Why does it always seem like the small drops are the soakers on flumes?

The second drop was taller, but profiled somewhat weirdly. It leveled off far earlier than other flumes I’ve been on. And the resulting splash was as dry as Tennessee on a Sunday morning. I would have ridden it again if it wasn't so prohibitively soaking, but it's solid for the park. 5 out of 10

Pirate's Plunge Entrance.jpg
It isn't much, but I still wasn't expecting this level of theming on a boardwalk flume.

Pirate's Plunge Drop.jpg
I also wasn't expecting to get soaked from head to toe.

I needed to dry off so I turned to the Texas Star Flyer. It may only be half the height of the not-to-be confused with Texas SkyScreamer, but it was equally as enjoyable. The windy day, long cycle, and location on the pier provided a fantastic ride. The views of the boardwalk below, ocean, and beach were breathtaking. Few star flyers have a location like this and GIHPP’s uses it to perfection. 9 out of 10

And I will note glasses (with a strap) were allowed on the Star Flyer.

Texas Star Flyer.jpg
They missed the perfect opportunity to call the star flyer Sharknado.

Beach.jpg
Imagine seeing this from 230 feet in the air. Essentially that's the Star Flyer.

On my way back to Iron Shark, I noticed a weird looking flat I had never seen before, the Sky Shooter. I think it's from SBF since it has the same air release as their spinning coasters, but I could be wrong. Basically it was a junior version of Knoebels Downdraft. The seats did seem cramped even for someone smaller (5’10”, 165 lbs), but appeared to be a ride for all ages.

The compact nature of the ride induced some forceful spins while the ride got up to speed, but it quickly became a monotonous flat when the speed stabilized. The outward swings didn't really do anything, as they were too slow to induce any sort of air or laterals. It was worth a spin since it was a new flat type, but not something I need to ride again. 5 out of 10

This was another ride banning glasses entirely.

Sky Shooter.jpg
In retrospect, this does look more like a kids ride rather than something that could give a thrill.

After 3 more rides on Iron Shark, I made my way towards the exit. On the way, I saw their frisbee was loading so I hopped in line. By this point, I was thinking to myself that glasses were allowed on the thrill rides only and banned on the family rides. And sure enough I could wear them.

The Revolution was a weaker model in terms of air, but it compensated with the ride's placement. Half the swings go beyond the pier, so riders are staring at the ocean a good 60-70 feet below them. It's definitely a thrilling visual and I can only imagine what it's like on that Screamin’ Swing over the canyon at Glenwood Caverns. 6 out of 10

Revolution.jpg
While this may not appear too tall at first glance, you're actually staring at the water below the pier.

In about an hour, I was able to hit the major flats plus ride the lone coaster a few times. I'm guessing the crowds pick up on warmer days and in the evening, but on a Saturday morning in early April, crowds were no problem at all. It’ll be interesting to see if and how this new park expands, but as it stands, it's a small park worth visiting for that location and Iron Shark.

And beyond theme park visits, I also made sure to see a Houston Astros game since they were playing the New York Yankees. The least appealing of all the Astros pitchers was on the mound in Charlie Morton, yet he pitched one heck of a game to lead the Astros to victory and help the Red Sox in the process. I'm one of those Sox fans that supports two teams- my Red Sox and whoever plays the Yankees.

Minute Maid Park.jpg
Minute Maid was a nice ballpark and had a strong crowd to accompany it.
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Universal Studios Hollywood & Six Flags Magic Mountain

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby CaptainUnknown » Sun May 13, 2018 10:55 pm

Coming Soon to SYFY: Sharknado 19: Iron Sharknado
Sweet Screams are Made of This. Who Am I To Disagree?

Parks: 22
Credits: 117 (23 wood/94 steel)
Top Wood: Outlaw Run
Top Steel: Millennium Force

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon May 14, 2018 6:46 am

^ The first one was gold (for how absurd it was), but I stopped after the one that ended on the cliffhanger where you could tweet what you wanted to happen in the next one.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mrlittle » Tue May 15, 2018 6:12 am

That was a fun trip report to read. Minute Maid is my second home. Yeah I’ve only seen Galveston Pier busy during the discount days. I just don’t feel like they have enough rides for the price and I think many other locals would agree.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue May 15, 2018 6:52 am

^ Thanks!

Kemah was absolutely packed later that day and they're similarly sized. I think a big thing that could hurt Galveston Pleasure Pier is the admission price. People are less likely to stop in to ride 1-2 things like they were doing at Kemah. But what Galveston has is good.

Postby bert425 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:01 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:^ Thanks!

Kemah was absolutely packed later that day and they're similarly sized. I think a big thing that could hurt Galveston Pleasure Pier is the admission price. People are less likely to stop in to ride 1-2 things like they were doing at Kemah. But what Galveston has is good.

not just admission price (since they often offer BOGO and discount coupong), but more so for me: the parking situation. . not only is it not free, but on a nice day? GOOD LUCK finding a spot that's a) relatively close, and b) not under $25 to park.

great report tho, and glad you had such a great visit!

I assume Kemah Boardwalk is up next? curious if you liked the Boardwalk Bullet (since that's the only thing we bother with when there, even tho it's a bit overpriced as well).
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue May 15, 2018 10:28 am

^ Thanks! Yes Kemah will be next. Hope to get that one up later tonight/early tomorrow. I did really enjoy Boardwalk Bullet as a ride but the operations were absolutely brutal.

I know it was early in the season, but I must have lucked out on parking. I only had to pay $10 for the Pleasure Pier and I was right across the street. By the time I left (around 1), I'd say only half the lot was filled.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby masportster » Tue May 15, 2018 1:26 pm

I love the boardwalk amusement piers. Grew up going to Wildwood NJ, (yay I got to experience Hunts Pier in it's heyday). Have you ever had a chance to ride the Zoom Phlume in Wildwood? Nice layout and kinda long-ish. Nice report and great pics!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue May 15, 2018 2:03 pm

^ Thanks!

I made it to Morey's for the first time last year and loved it. Zoom Phloom was probably the best overall attraction there. It's crazy how long that flume was considering the park needs to use every inch of space they have available. I did prefer the Atmosfear though because of the view, the sound effects, and just how insane those Larson towers are.

I do think my favorite boardwalk park (unless you count Cedar Point, but that's just cheating) is still the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. Giant Dipper helps a ton, but they also throw in a strong mix of classic and modern flats to go with some dark rides.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!