TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official "TPR Coaster Poll" Thread!

TPR's 2018 Coaster Poll Thread is here: https://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76592

Please use the thread linked above for questions, comments, or feedback instead of this one. Thank you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone!

I have some very exciting news to share with everyone! Today we are opening our “beta test” for the TPR Coaster Poll!

Please click this link: https://coasterpoll.com/

Note that you will need to create a new account specific to that page, but if you already have a forum screen name, we would ask that you use that same screen name when creating your CoasterPoll.com account.

I know many of you have been missing the Mitch Hawker Poll for several years and we have been asked many times “When will TPR create their own poll?” It’s something that we have wanted to do for a while and thankfully one of our forum members “comeagain?” (aka Chase) presented us with something he was working on about a year ago.

It looked GREAT! It was a poll that wasn’t a “popularly” contest meaning “he who gets the most votes wins” as it takes everyone’s riding experience into consideration when calculating the results, just like Mitch Hawker’s poll did!

We would like this to be a live, active beta test. We ask everyone to treat this as though it is an actual version of the coaster poll, because it is, we will collect as many ballots as we possibly can from all of you, and then see how the entire system works and what issues come up along the way.

Feel free to use this thread to ask as many questions as you’d like, make suggestions, etc.

Just like Mitch’s poll you will find that not every roller coaster is included, as that would be impossible, but we have included as many relevant ones as possible. If you feel that something is missing that should be there, please let us know and we will take that into great consideration. Please note that most kiddie coasters and defunct coasters will not be part of this poll.

The other thing that would really help us out… Please SHARE this link as much as you can! On your social media, on your blogs, in any videos you might produce, etc, getting as much data as possible will allow this poll to get better and better!

Huge thanks to Chase for making this happen, and and even bigger THANK YOU to all of you! We appreciate your support and we look forward to seeing the results as much as I’m sure you all do.

—Robb

NOTE: Please keep in mind this is *NOT* a "coaster credits" list so you're not going to find a bunch of Wacky Worms and powered Dragon Wagons. If you want to include rides like that on your own personal list, that's great, but that is also not what this poll is about.

UPDATE!

Good News!

• Park links from search results work
  • Giant list is sorted alphabetically
  • No longer viciously caching everything and refusing to expire
  • No longer showing (hundreds?) of duplicate notices
  • Typo on the homepage was fixed
  • DRAG AND DROP WORKS!!!
  • RANKINGS CAN BE SAVED!!!

So the most annoying problems hopefully have been addressed. Specifically, drag and drop actually works in Chrome (there was a change and the package had to be updated). Plus, you can actually save the rankings that you spent so much time working on. It'll auto-save after a few seconds of inactivity, but you can also save on your own if it makes you feel better. And now that you can actually see changes we make to coasters or parks, without waiting 2 hours, it's much easier to make sure things get done and corrected.

UPDATE #2

Loads of work was done over the weekend and your input and feedback has been extremely helpful! Please take another look at the poll to see if you find any other errors.

At the moment we are in the middle of inputting many European & Asian parks so we know some of those are missing and that data will show up in the near future. What we need specifically is any missing "major" North American coasters. We are not including Wacky Worms, Roller Skaters, etc in this poll, but if you see a major ride missing, please mention it in the thread on the forum.

UPDATE #3

We should now have all major coasters in all continents around the world on the poll. At the time of this writing, that means that we have a pool of over 1,000 rankable coasters!

As a reminder, the list currently includes all roller coasters that are the size of a wild mouse or greater. This means that no Dragon Wagons, no [insert manufacturer here] kids' coasters, no small Tivolis, no Wacky Worms, no small Miler coasters, and no Vekoma roller skaters. Exceptions to this rule are made, of course.

If there is a coaster that is missing from the list that should be there, please make your request!

When you are ranking, please also keep in mind coasters that share the same name. For example, there are six "Jungle Trailblazer" coasters listed, all at Fantawild parks, that have different layouts. Please be sure to select the correct coaster(s) if you have only been on one or a few. Parks in the same chain that share the same name (such as Happy Valley and Fantawild / Oriental Heritage) have been given regional identifiers right in their titles.

We are now soliciting feedback for missing coasters and inaccuracies for any and all coasters. I'll continue to check in on the thread for this information, so please keep helping us out!

UPDATE #4

You can now rank using the previous drag and drop, or you can use a new "spreadsheet" view, that's not javascript based, that allows you to sort in a few different ways, and then save everything at once.

Alse:

• Filtering and custom sorting on the massive list of coasters.
  • Automatically scrolls up when dragging.
  • Doesn't renumber to #1 when dragging a second time.
  • Can now view and share other users entire rankings.

UPDATE #5

We are in the final stages of wrapping up the Coaster Poll Beta Test which will give us REAL results with a real ranking! Please be sure to "finalize" your ballot by ranking all your coasters and make sure to click the "DONE RANKING" button to officially submit your ballot. The "DONE RANKING" button is new and if you haven't updated your ballot recently and clicked that button your ballot may not get submitted! So just to be safe, go right now and check your ballot and click that button!

Please click this link: https://coasterpoll.com/

Thank you!

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great start!

I'll post any random off things I find here.

- Missing DC Rivals at Movie World Australia

1871712283_ScreenShot2018-01-12at10_21_56AM.thumb.png.6eb6521758b67fd1f7de88809e04e68d.png

Whizzer is listed twice

1976781541_ScreenShot2018-01-12at10_26_24AM.thumb.png.4b7c488928a346e39e0f6397428bd0b7.png

This is a kiddie coaster

279654484_ScreenShot2018-01-12at10_33_09AM.thumb.png.3bc4282aecbed04387d22c06b8a19bdb.png

Kiddie Coaster

446099597_ScreenShot2018-01-12at10_36_01AM.thumb.png.17bba0dffafe09c5a045a646763943a4.png

Should be listed in Grona Lund

461791797_ScreenShot2018-01-12at10_37_35AM.thumb.png.083db2a8ea0a083506372a705ae821df.png

Mystic Timbers listed twice

Edited by SharkTums

If I search for a coaster and mark it as ridden, I can then go to the park's page and mark it ridden again. Then, when I go to the "Ridden" page, I see the same coaster multiple times. I can do this over and over again and keep creating duplicates.

Woah! I'm not sure when you guys found the time to put this together, but I'm thrilled that you did.

So much for being productive at work today. Unfortunately my votes may serve to make this list a bit more "Golden-tickety" (is that a word? no? huh) than you intended by putting Millennium Force at number one, but I trust that everyone else will counter that and restore some sanity to your poll.

HELL YES! The best part of this is that with you guy's media credentials we may actually see some good articles and opinions on this subject matter. As in the poll results could be noteworthy influencers to public opinion and a little contrast to the blah Golden Ticket awards.

Question, what are your thoughts on the ellocoaster Wood poll that came out just a few weeks ago, solely for wooden coasters. Is this a competitor? Methodology differences?

Edited by BlahBlahson

If I search for a coaster and mark it as ridden, I can then go to the park's page and mark it ridden again. Then, when I go to the "Ridden" page, I see the same coaster multiple times. I can do this over and over again and keep creating duplicates.

Fun. Dang. I've got an idea, and I'll take a look a little later today.

Currently filling out my info. Always happy to participate in these surveys.

Thank you for doing this, it's always fun to see what the community thinks of certain coasters. (I always realize when doing these sort of things how many parks I want to go to)

Question, what are your thoughts on the ellocoaster Wood poll that came out just a few weeks ago, solely for wooden coasters. Is this a competitor? Methodology differences?

I hadn't looked at it too much until now, but I see two big differences. 1) I'm trying to include a signifigantly larger set to be ranked, besides 1-10. 2) I'm trying to make it significantly easier to use. I'm hoping it gets to a point you can update it throughout the summer, as you're riding, not waiting months later for a text based ballot.

Are we counting racing / dueling coasters as one? I'm talking Dauling Dragon, Lightning Racer, Joris en de Draak, etc...

Yes, I would at least hope so. It would just seem so silly to me that, in the event we would ever do this, we would give an award specifically to one side of Lightning Racer.

"Dear Hersheypark! Your roller coaster has won a top spot in our coaster poll! Um, but only half of it..."

See how dumb that sounds?

Edited by robbalvey

Fun. Dang. I've got an idea, and I'll take a look a little later today.

I think I figured out part of the problem. If I go to a park's page and click through that I have ridden everything at that park, then immediately go to the "Ridden" page, those ones I had just marked still show that they're not checked off as being ridden. If I give it a minute and then refresh the page, they are then checked off. So, there's some sort of delay and I guess I was just too fast for the site...

Anyone having trouble with the ranking page? The page isn't letting me drag and drop any of the selections to rank them. My top 3 are currently Blue Streak, Cedar Creek Mine Ride, and Corkscrew, that might throw the rankings off a bit.

Same here... cannot drag and drop.

Some of this feedback is valid, but some of it is pretty trivial too. Remember how annoying it was to vote in the Mitch Hawker poll? Even with the ballot generator, you had to use an external site to create the ballot and then go back to submit it.

It may need a tiny bit of tweaking, but so far this is great and the interface is a major improvement.

Edited by coasterbill

Hey Robb,

Love this Coaster Poll, I'm assuming you will continue to add to the database of coasters over time (it had 14 of the 19 parks we visited last year but didn't see Waldermeer, Dutch Wonderland, Quazzy, and a few of the other small parks we hit). One suggestion would be to break the coaster list into North America and World cause when I was scrolling there would be three or four China parks, then Dorney, then some English parks, I might have missed Dorney if I wasn't such a dork. Also, will defunct coasters be listed or just active coasters?

Thanks again for putting this together and all in all, love it and have a great weekend

Paul