Doesn't matter if it was new-to-you this year, or if its a favorite at your home park that you've ridden a thousand times. They don't need to be in order/ranked, but they HAVE to have been coasters you rode in 2017.
What were the ten that stand out? I'll start.
El Toro Skyrush Superman: The Ride (SFNE) (new) Wicked Cyclone (new) Cheetah Hunt (new) White Lightning (new) Mako (new) Montu (new) Nitro Sheikra (new)
Sheikra ahead of Kumba. Woah, didn't expect that. lol
1) Millennium Force (still... sorry guys) 2) El Toro 3) Phoenix 4) Maverick 5) Lightning Rod 6) Goliath (Great America) 7) Kumba 8) Montu 9) Intimidator 305 10) Wicked Cyclone
* Though the Beast at night in a thunderstorm was the best coaster ride of the year by far. I don't know how to rank it because during the day, t's fun... but not anywhere near a top 10 ride.
* Mystery Mine would have been #12 (after Raptor at #11) and it's a shame it missed the list because people really need to visualize how hilariously high I rate that thing to fully appreciate how f*cking stupid I am.
Last edited by coasterbill on Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:49 pm.
Interesting topic! It's been a relatively quiet year for me, so this might look strange. The only major parks I visited were Disneyland, SWSD, SWO, Dollywood, SFOG, Lagoon, Castles 'n Coasters, Valleyfair, World's of Fun, and Adventureland.
1. Lightning Rod, NEW - Not only best of the year, but best of my life. 2. Prowler, NEW - Surprisingly amazing, I was not ready for how fun this was. 3. Mako, NEW - Definitely one of the better B&M Hypers, very fun! 4. Renegade, NEW - Also great, just like Prowler. Second half is powerful. 5. Goliath (SFOG) - Only a couple rainy slowish rides this spring. Still a top 25 ride, especially once warmed up. 6. Tennessee Tornado - Such an amazingly solid looper. I simply love this one! 7. Monster, NEW - The best Gerstlauer I've ridden. Some great parts, but the elements are pretty laggy and strange. 8. Mamba, NEW - A lot less lame than I anticipated! The first few hills have some stellar floater, plus I love the length! 9. Cannibal, NEW - It's ok. The drop is incredible, the following inversions are fun, but the second half is pretty weak/meh. 10. Manta (SWSD) - A wonderful family coaster, I'm so glad to have this less than a mile from where I live.
I only visited four parks this year, two of them being the Paris Disney parks, so my selection of rides to choose from is rather limited. But my 2017 Top 10 list looks something like this:
1) Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park (new) - Totally f*cked up ride, but in an awesome way! 2) Piraten - Djurs Sommarland - It's an Intamin Mega-Lite. Do I need to say more? 3) Star Wars Hyperspace Mountain: Rebel Mission - Disneyland Paris (new) - The biggest surprise of the year, this mid-90's Vekoma kicks some serious ass! 4) Fluch von Novgorod - Hansa Park (new) - Another great surprise, smooth and intense ride. Just wish it was a tad longer. 5) Juvelen - Djurs Sommarland (new) - Fantastic family ride, and more intense than I expected. 6) Nessie Superrollercoaster - Hansa Park (new) - A very fun Schwarzkopf looping coaster, and it runs great! 7) Big Thunder Mountain - Disneyland Paris (new) - Solid mine train coaster, but the ride features a couple of trims which detracts a little from the experience. Fantastic ending! 8) Rock 'n' Roller Coaster - Disneyland Paris (new) - It's good, but not great. 9) Dragekongen - Djurs Sommarland (new) - The only slight disappointment of the year, it's a family coaster but I was still expecting a bit more. Also a bit rattly for a brand new ride. 10) Crush's Coaster - Disneyland Paris (new) - It was a fun ride, but not memorable and the only reason it's on this top 10 list is the lack of other choices...
Last edited by viking86 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:33 pm.
Don't really keep rankings, but it's easier to do in the scope of a single season. Here we go (in order).
Kumba Goliath (SFGAm) Raging Bull Montu Batman The Ride Mako Shivering Timbers Sheikra X-Flight Manta
A fairly B&M-heavy list. Of the ranked, only Mako was new to me. The worst (overall) was Twister II at Elitch, which desperately needs to be Rocky Mountained. I thought I'd hit a few more places than what ended up happening, but that is what next season is for- and it's only a few months away.
Last edited by Ed Farmer on Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:53 pm.
These pages are in no way affiliated with nor endorsed by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Cedar Fair, Legoland, Merlin Entertainment, Blackstone, Tussaud's Group, Six Flags, Universal Theme Parks, the Walt Disney Company or any other theme park company.
photos and videos on this website were taken with the permission of the park by
a professional ride photographer.
For yours and others safety, please do not attempt to take photos or videos at
parks without proper permission.
You need a sense of humor to view our site,
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back
Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER! There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13." Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.