East Coast/Midwest road trip 2018

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!
 
Posts: 721
Joined: 14 Dec 2010
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Age: 59

Re: East Coast/Midwest road trip 2018

Postby bill_s » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:46 pm

Get 3 hours or so in at SFA Probably skipping Mind Eraser, Apocalypse, and Batwing unless someone has a good argument for any of them.


I would usually ride Mind Eraser several times and Apocolypse usually once, when I can actually get there with 3 hours available. If you feel rushed or want to spend more time with the other coasters, sure skip them. 2/3rds of the time I'm there it's cold enough to wear a hat on Mind Eraser, which helps. Riding Apocolypse is mostly about missing Shockwave but it only makes me miss it more. Batwing is hilarious but after once there's no real reason to ever ride it again. And my trips there don't include a bunch of other parks.

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 14508
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: The bar
Gender: Male
Age: 31

Re: East Coast/Midwest road trip 2018

Postby coasterbill » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:51 pm

You could probably ride every coaster in the park in 2-3 hours, but nobody would blame you if you skipped those 3. They're um... not good.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”
User avatar
 
Posts: 337
Joined: 23 Oct 2017
Location: Greensboro, NC
Gender: Male
Age: 46

Re: East Coast/Midwest road trip 2018

Postby hoppedup » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:24 pm

coasterbill wrote:You could probably ride every coaster in the park in 2-3 hours, but nobody would blame you if you skipped those 3. They're um... not good.


Kinda figured. I hated Vortex and Georgia Scorcher was not great, either. So I plan on skipping stand-ups unless a majority says it's good. My last ride on Nighthawk was not pleasant and I've read that Batwing is very similar, if not identical.

bill_s wrote:I would usually ride Mind Eraser several times and Apocolypse usually once, when I can actually get there with 3 hours available. If you feel rushed or want to spend more time with the other coasters, sure skip them. 2/3rds of the time I'm there it's cold enough to wear a hat on Mind Eraser, which helps. Riding Apocolypse is mostly about missing Shockwave but it only makes me miss it more. Batwing is hilarious but after once there's no real reason to ever ride it again. And my trips there don't include a bunch of other parks.


So, no good argument. :lol:

We will also be skipping all Wild Mouse coasters and will ride every wooden, adult-sized coaster no matter how rough. I will be searching each park's thread for tips on how to tackle them based on a coaster-only approach. And will take the standard "go to the back of the park and work to the front" approach if I come up empty. I've already bookmarked boldikus' guide to SFGAdv. If there are any others, feel free to send them my way.
Parks: 21 | Coasters: 142 | Wood: 39 | Steel: 102 | Fiberglass: 1

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain
User avatar
 
Posts: 7365
Joined: 10 Feb 2014
Location: Philthadelphia
Gender: None specified

Re: East Coast/Midwest road trip 2018

Postby boldikus » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:55 pm

^ Except Hersheys mouse because its the best (and no I'm not talking about Laff Trakk)

edit: I am actually a huge fan of Apple Zapple also.

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 6656
Joined: 21 Mar 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male
Age: 26

Re: East Coast/Midwest road trip 2018

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:55 pm

Six Flags America
I went to Six Flags America on a Sunday and it was completely deserted. I rode every coaster except for the kiddie credit and Mind Eraser (already had ridden it) in less than 3 hours. That included multiple rerides on Superman and Wild One. I also hit a few flats too.

The only coaster with any sort of wait was Ragin' Cajun. If you don't care to hit mice, this sounds skippable for you. I remember getting a good ride on Batwing back in 2012, but it was pretty rattly on my ride this year.

Quassy

Obviously you're here to ride Wooden Warrior, but if you're a fan of crazy spinning flats, make sure you hit Reverse Time and Frantic as well.

I'd argue that you should hit Lake Compounce instead if you've never been. It'll cost more than Quassy, but Boulder Dash is the superior wooden coaster and you also have Phobia and the recently retracked Wildcat. On a Wednesday, you won't encounter any waits there. Just watch out since Compounce usually closes well before sundown.

Six Flags New England
On a weekday, you should be able to ride everything without a Flash Pass. Pandemonium will have by far the worst wait, but fortunately it has an unmarked single rider queue. Just go up the Flash Pass line and let the operator know. You'll likely be on in less than 5 minutes.

Wicked Cyclone and Superman's queues could reach 30-45 minutes at worst on a weekday. It will add an extra 20-25 minutes to your wait, but make sure you ride Superman at least once in the very front. That is the absolute money seat on that coaster.

If you see Goliath open, ride it immediately. There's a high chance it will breakdown at some point and it's low capacity causes it to get a sizable wait. It does have a single rider line, but you can't access it until you're through most of the queue.

Batman and Riddler Revenge shouldn't have bad waits at all. Thunderbolt will have a slow moving queue, but the line can't hold more than 30 minutes of people.

Hersheypark

If you don't care about Laff Trakk, I'd hit Fahrenheit first. I know it'll be extremely tempting to hit Skyrush (and I don't blame you for riding it early if it's your primary reason for visiting), but the line is it's absolute worst at the beginning of the day because of its location. If you return later, Comet and Skyrush won't have much of a wait at all.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Image
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: 17 Apr 2009
Location: Salem
Gender: Female
Age: 29

Re: East Coast/Midwest road trip 2018

Postby cal1br3tto » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:11 pm

Responding to ^, if spinning makes a mouse more enticing to you, then I'd say not to skip Ragin' Cajun. I think it's one of the best out there. Otherwise, sure, keep it in the skippable mouse category.

I will say I like Vekoma flyers, but I can't sell you on Batwing over the others--I've found them to ride very similarly.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant
Image

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”
User avatar
 
Posts: 337
Joined: 23 Oct 2017
Location: Greensboro, NC
Gender: Male
Age: 46

Re: East Coast/Midwest road trip 2018

Postby hoppedup » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:11 am

cal1br3tto wrote:Responding to ^, if spinning makes a mouse more enticing to you, then I'd say not to skip Ragin' Cajun. I think it's one of the best out there. Otherwise, sure, keep it in the skippable mouse category.

I will say I like Vekoma flyers, but I can't sell you on Batwing over the others--I've found them to ride very similarly.


Spinning on any axis makes anything less enticing to me. If we do The Joker at all, it will be the last thing we do that day.

Canobie Coaster, thanks for all the tips. Lake Compounce is under consideration, I just wish they had ride tickets like a lot of smaller parks. That's a lot of cheddar for two woodies. My daughter hated Tempesto (I liked it) so I'm pretty sure Sky Rocket II coasters are off the table.
Parks: 21 | Coasters: 142 | Wood: 39 | Steel: 102 | Fiberglass: 1

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 14508
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: The bar
Gender: Male
Age: 31

Re: East Coast/Midwest road trip 2018

Postby coasterbill » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:26 am

Lake Compounce is honestly one of the most overpriced parks in America not located at a beach or a major tourist trap. Last time we were there, Tempesto was easily the best ride in the park. If you're going to skip that, you're dumping a lot of money (plus parking) to ride a boomerang, a crappy wood coaster (though it is marginally better not from what I'm told) and a coaster that could be awesome depending on the day but is also really temperamental and in my mind is overrated even on it's best day.

Most people disagree with me on Boulder Dash and I get that, but this park in general was in rough shape when we visited last year. Parques Reunidos is a trash company.

Counterpoint: You're literally going to drive right by it. I could see the argument for going there, riding Boulder Dash and getting it out of your system.

PS: they have a log flume and a shooting dark ride. Both of these have operations that would make La Ronde proud. If you want to ride either of these, rope drop them. Last time we were there the flume ops were so horrific that I (yes... I) skipped the flume.

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.
 
Posts: 113
Joined: 10 Jan 2010
Location: Ohio
Gender: Male

Re: East Coast/Midwest road trip 2018

Postby BitterOldHag » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:44 am

coasterbill wrote:Parques Reunidos is a trash company.


Testify!
kirk1.gif

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 6656
Joined: 21 Mar 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male
Age: 26

Re: East Coast/Midwest road trip 2018

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:08 am

coasterbill wrote:Lake Compounce is honestly one of the most overpriced parks in America not located at a beach or a major tourist trap. Last time we were there, Tempesto was easily the best ride in the park. If you're going to skip that, you're dumping a lot of money (plus parking) to ride a boomerang, a crappy wood coaster (though it is marginally better not from what I'm told) and a coaster that could be awesome depending on the day but is also really temperamental and in my mind is overrated even on it's best day.

Most people disagree with me on Boulder Dash and I get that, but this park in general was in rough shape when we visited last year. Parques Reunidos is a trash company.

Counterpoint: You're literally going to drive right by it. I could see the argument for going there, riding Boulder Dash and getting it out of your system.

PS: they have a log flume and a shooting dark ride. Both of these have operations that would make La Ronde proud. If you want to ride either of these, rope drop them. Last time we were there the flume ops were so horrific that I (yes... I) skipped the flume.


I can't disagree one bit on Lake Compounce being overpriced. They didn't reduce admission in any way this year despite the removal of free soda and their amazing Sky Ride. I only go as often as I do since I have a season pass and it's literally on the way to my sister's college.

They did get some additional logs from Kennywood's now closed Log Jammer, so that should help for capacity there at least so that's one positive. And Wildcat is actually ridable now.

Hoppedup, you said in a previous post with regards to Six Flags America that you wanted to ride every adult wooden coaster irregardless of how rough it was. If wooden coasters are a priority for you, I'd argue Lake Compounce is a must solely for Boulder Dash. The best seat by far is the front anyway so you eliminate the issue of riding on a wheel seat. I've never gotten what I'd deem a rough ride, but the coaster does have 1-2 rough patches on the layout. But it's worth it for that incredible setting and airtime.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Image
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest

These pages are in no way affiliated with nor endorsed by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Cedar Fair, Legoland, Merlin Entertainment,
Blackstone, Tussaud's Group, Six Flags, Universal Theme Parks, the Walt Disney Company or any other theme park company.

All onride photos and videos on this website were taken with the permission of the park by a professional ride photographer.
For yours  and others safety, please do not attempt to take photos or videos at parks without proper permission.

Disclaimer!  You need a sense of humor to view our site, 
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!
Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER!
There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13."
Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.

cron