Photo TR: Franklin, Hamilton, Hershey, Morey, and Knoebel

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Re: Photo TR: Franklin, Hamilton, Hershey, Morey, and Knoebe

Postby prospekt88 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:42 am

Since this seems to be a really popular topic on this forum haha...

I find that Wawa is the only of the two I ever find myself at sober and they have decent sandwiches and other hot food. It's real greatness is the convenience but it's also some pretty good food. Sheetz on the other hand is a drunk man's paradise. Once you walk up to one of those tap to order machines you're entering a wormhole of goodness with things like their fried chicken biscuits and fried mac n' cheese bites.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:48 am

Great update, some lovely photos. I visited both as a kid and was bored to tears, its certainly more interesting now as an adult.

Also, #teamwawa #effsheetz

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:32 pm

Ha, I figured that would be a bit controversial. Wawa's food is way better, to be sure. I just don't really like feeling like an unpaid employee. I liked that Sheetz actually did everything and I just picked it up. The sandwich itself was a bit disappointing. I guess it's just a matter of whether service or quality product matters more. In the end I'd pick the better tasting food, so Wawa wins.

Hope that helps muddle things worse than before.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:18 am

Day 4 (continued): Choclit!

My preview day at Hershey began with the Factory Tour at Hershey’s Chocolate World. I could think of no better introduction to the Sweetest Place on Earth. The queue was long but moved quickly and had plenty of colourful factoids to keep guests entertained. The ride itself was hilarious, with singing cows and the Hershey characters. I really could taste the love all over the world.

20170806_182454.jpg
I'm ready! I'm ready! I'm ready! I'm ready!

20170806_183102.jpg
Mmmm....choclit.

Mini chocolate bar and ticket in hand, I made my way to the entrance of the main park for the main goal of the day, Skyrush. Yes, it’s on the early entry list, but I couldn’t wait that long. (Spoilers: it’s a good thing I didn’t wait). I went directly for back row, left wing seat.

Skyrush is one of the most amazing coasters I’ve ever ridden. I do understand the nickname, but I didn’t experience any pain at all. Yes, there was definitely pressure on my legs, and yes it was an intense experience, but not painful. It just threw me around like it had a vendetta, and there wasn’t anything I could do about it. With Maverick, I could throw myself at the turns, but in a wing seat on Skyrush, that isn’t possible. I just had to sit there and take it. And I loved it. Stockholm Syndrome? Maybe. If it is, then call me Swedish.

20170806_190511.jpg
The entrance plaza was surprisingly small.

20170806_191122.jpg
Oh man, I love the Skyrush.

20170806_191331.jpg
I hear it's over yonder in that there holler.

20170806_191535.jpg
Yup, seems it is in this here holler.

20170806_191600.jpg
I'm here!

20170806_191611.jpg
This is how you do mandatory fluffy bunnies.

I had a precise strategy for this night, and that was to hit all the low capacity coasters: Storm Runner, Fahrenheit, Wild Mouse, and Laff Track, plus Lightning Racer to be sure I was able to ride with it racing. This was a Sunday night, and knowing most parks will only run one side at time on lower attendance weekdays, I wanted to hit it while it was still a weekend.

Storm Runner is also incredible. A little bit of Maverick, a little bit of Xcelerator. Loved it. On to Fahrenheit next, which I can best describe as “Intamin Builds a B&M Looper.” This park is 3/3 on their Intamins. I could ride all three of them all day.

20170806_194457.jpg
Next up, the love child of Maverick and Xcelerator.

20170806_200142.jpg

20170806_200145.jpg
Launch!

20170806_200239.jpg
Nice little plaza for this ride.

20170806_200321.jpg
Ah, they have one of those too.

20170806_200355.jpg
But I have priorities.

Wild Mouse was posting a 5 minute wait on Hersheypark’s well designed app, so I went there next, then followed that up with Wildcat since it was a walk-on. Nothing super remarkable about either one, fun but nothing special. Of course, I just got off three wild and crazy Intamin guys, so maybe that coloured my perspective a bit.

20170806_204758.jpg
Love this lighthouse.

20170806_205106.jpg
Wild Mouse was at least a short line.

Laff Track was still posting an hour wait, with an hour left to go in the night. I didn’t feel like spending the rest of the night on it, so I went on to Lightning Racer. I rode both sides and won both times. This is an absolutely incredible ride. I think I prefer Thunder, since you can see Lightning’s train better from it than vice versa, but both are super fun.

I went on to the Whip next. This was my first ride on a full size whip, and the first of three on this trip. I’ve ridden the miniature ones with my kids and loved them, so I was looking forward to trying out the big version. It was just what I expected: the same ride, but more intense. Wish there were more of these around (and closer to me would be nice too).

20170806_210749.jpg
Maybe tomorrow....

20170806_210858.jpg
The Whip was so much fun.

20170806_210935.jpg
Didn't actually ride the Music Express ever. I like these rides normally, but I skipped both Morey's and this one for some reason. Other things I like better I guess.

20170806_210946.jpg
The king of all racing coasters.

Thirty minutes left in the day, and Laff Track had a thirty minute wait. Eh, I’ll ride it tomorrow, I want some more Skyrush! (More spoilers: really good decision) This time I waited a bit longer for the front row, so it was the ride to close out the night. It’s awesome in the front as well, nothing like the death seat, but really great in a different way. Everything looks like it’s coming directly at you and super fast.

In all, it was a great way to start off my Hershey visit. Seven roller coasters and the whip already in the bag would certainly make my day a lot less hectic. I headed back to the campsite and pitched a tent by car headlights. Little did I know then what glory awaited me in the morning.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:13 pm

Cliffhanger!!!

Can't wait for more. Glad to hear the Intamin trio didn't disappoint!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:37 pm

Ooooooo, you can't beat Future Glory! :b :br

Great TR. Glad you're giving us more!
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby prozach626 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:53 pm

There couldn't possibly be any place where despair is so bad that people are willing to do the kinds of things the characters in his stories do. People just aren't like that. Not in America.

Damn, Andrew. Sorry I'm late to this awesome thread. The aforementioned quote makes me wish you could go on a ride-along with me on a Saturday night. I probably wouldn't be able to top The Badlands, but it would definitely change your perspective.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:25 pm

prozach626 wrote:
There couldn't possibly be any place where despair is so bad that people are willing to do the kinds of things the characters in his stories do. People just aren't like that. Not in America.

Damn, Andrew. Sorry I'm late to this awesome thread. The aforementioned quote makes me wish you could go on a ride-along with me on a Saturday night. I probably wouldn't be able to top The Badlands, but it would definitely change your perspective.

Heh, I'm sure there are some spots in E. St. Louis that might rival it.... But yeah, if there's anything I've learned in the last year, it's that I don't really understand a whole lot about how the world works. I've assumed that my experience is pretty average, and I'm finding out it's definitely not. I've been fortunate. I haven't had to deal with any of the sh*t that a whole lot of people deal with on a daily basis. I've been too busy trying to help people and stand with people, and not busy enough listening to people and understanding people, so I don't even know what kind of sh*t they deal with. Maybe knowing that I don't know is a good starting place.

Postby prozach626 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:01 pm

Not knowing is better. Trust me. Knowing just makes you jaded and bitter. There's no need to ruin more good people.

I just got caught up on your trip. It looks like you had a blast! You took some great photos. I'm glad to hear that Hershey seemed to have lived up to your expectations, since I think we're Northeast bound next season.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:04 pm

It really was great outside of that first day. I think you're planning on most of the same places too, so have fun. All of these parks were worthwhile. Dorney was the weakest, but I think you know that going into it. Hershey was really great, and I'll have more on that next time. Hopefully will have that segment up tomorrow.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!