TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rita: Queen of Speed - New High Quality Video!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. As for the ride, it's REALLY hard to say how it's going to be. I have to go with Elissa's initial thoughts that it kind of looks more like a "hyper Mack Powered coaster" than anything else.

Begin rant.

As for the video itself, I have to say that was probably one of the worst quality videos I've ever seen. Shot from what looked like through a fence or hiding behind a building having a large post in front of the camera most of the time; the photographer seemed to not have a clue on how to work a video camera or the layout of the ride; it was REALLY shakey; 1/2 of the video was with audio - 1/2 with no audio and when the audio DID come on, all you heard some some dumb chick laughing; and then they put the obnoxious website logo almost in the middle of the screen as though having a really awful video is anything to brag about.

It's just a pet peeve of mine, but anything you put on your site should be the best foot forward. I mean there have been plenty of times we could have gotten the 'scoop' on something that we chose not to distribute based on not being up to our own quality level. For example, we got in some VERY early Thunderhead footage last year that IMO, was just horrific. We waited nearly a year until we had a much higher quality video to present. I'd be embarassed to put that on my site, no matter how much of an "exclusive" it is. In 6 months, no one is going to remember this guys bad quality 'exclusive' when there will be tons of really nice looking, quality videos out there.

For us, it's about retaining a high level of quality over any exclusive "bragging rights."

/rant

--Robb "Wow...yeah...that was one awful...awful video." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

I think that the ride looks pretty good and while I think that it's cool that the person got the footage, I have to agree that that it was pretty terrible. The least you can do is get a mental layout of the ride so that you can try and follow it with the camera. It appeared as though they had no idea as to what which way the coaster was going. They at least did a better job with the part that had sound.

My guess is that this coaster will have a lot of side-to-side action (maybe even eject another person? ) and a handful of air pops.

It should be interesting, at least. As it looks now, I would say that would definitely drive a good length to ride Rita, but I wouldn't necessarily book a plane trip.

That's my $.02

-kip-

Begin rant.

As for the video itself, I have to say that was probably one of the worst quality videos I've ever seen. Shot from what looked like through a fence or hiding behind a building having a large post in front of the camera most of the time; the photographer seemed to not have a clue on how to work a video camera or the layout of the ride; it was REALLY shakey; 1/2 of the video was with audio - 1/2 with no audio and when the audio DID come on, all you heard some some dumb chick laughing; and then they put the obnoxious website logo almost in the middle of the screen as though having a really awful video is anything to brag about.

It's just a pet peeve of mine, but anything you put on your site should be the best foot forward. I mean there have been plenty of times we could have gotten the 'scoop' on something that we chose not to distribute based on not being up to our own quality level. For example, we got in some VERY early Thunderhead footage last year that IMO, was just horrific. We waited nearly a year until we had a much higher quality video to present. I'd be embarassed to put that on my site, no matter how much of an "exclusive" it is. In 6 months, no one is going to remember this guys bad quality 'exclusive' when there will be tons of really nice looking, quality videos out there.

For us, it's about retaining a high level of quality over any exclusive "bragging rights."

/rant

--Robb "Wow...yeah...that was one awful...awful video." Alvey

Agree with Robb's video critique

They should have watched the train a few times so that they are aware of where it is supposed to go. The way it was recorded seemed as the videographer lost the train. It completely reminded me of my dad's recording.

/end of agreeing with critique

Why does it seem though that short rides seem to pack more of a punch than these larger ones?

-Angry "Durh...where'd the train go?" Gumball

Rita looks extremely smooth but not too thrilling and it is hard to tell what the layout is like from the poor camera skills. Even though I will never be able to ride any Euro coasters I would much rather take a ride on Kanonen, it looks much better than Rita.

The first corner will pull 4.7G's. More than Nemesis & Oblivion, that's the main punch.

The ride has OTSR's by the way. With the first corner being that pwoerfulno way would Alton risk losing someone on it.

As for the video critiques. Alton Towers make it very hard for you to view new ride construction. For example nobody knew what Oblivion was until the drop was constructed over the Winter Break.

And being in the middle of the countryside helps to keep people away.

I managed to get up to Rita when only the launch track was up (winter Weekends), but now there's fences everywhere.

It was shot from the control tower I think. And it was probably done by one of the operators of the ride, hence why they didn't follow the train at first. But then you can see the rest of the ride at the end of the video anyway.

So stop complaining! P

Shot from what looked like through a fence or hiding behind a building having a large post in front of the camera most of the time; the photographer seemed to not have a clue on how to work a video camera

It looks like it was shot from the control booth on the station.

Still don’t know what to make of it yet.

Nick “I think it is a missed opportunity for a better coaster like storm runner” Collins

The first corner will pull 4.7G's. More than Nemesis & Oblivion, that's the main punch.

4.7 G's with Storm Runner'ish OTSR? :shock: They are very open and comfortable, but not very forgiving on your neck.... owww...

I was surprised how fast it was booking around the track! Looks like it will be a great ride for the few seconds it lasts. At least there's lots of speed and a few nice pops of air, I'm assuming.

Eric

I'll be riding it within a few weeks

And i'll be coming home from Alton in exactly 3 weeks Yay!

The first video is shot from the Control Tower and from Corkscrew's station which has had to be changed to allow for Rita.

The second video is shot so dam cleverly from behind a patch of trees. Amazing

Second Video - http://www.towersalmanac.com/features/rita/constructionsite/rita_movie5.html

I'm pretty sure it pulls the 4.7G's there.. Since there's no real sharp pull ups it's either there, after the largest hill or into the second tighter turn.

Ed "At least it lasts longer than TTD " Hardwick

Rita looks really good. You can't forget the problems Alton Towers keeps facing. They can't build above the tree line. But they ( John Wardley as lead designer ) keep building brilliant coasters despite of these limitations. Look at nemesis, air and now rita. I think this ride will look tame, but feel brilliant.

"Wish I was at the Towers"

Wow ! Pulls 4.7G, 1.7 more than Nemesis or 0.2 more than Oblivlion (stats from RCDB) - who cares?

I'd rather have a fun & interesting ride than 4.7G

I'll pass final judgement on the coaster,when I've been on it.... I'm expecting the launch will be great, the rest will be boring...

I'm sure Nemesis pulls 4.5G's aswell.

But i'm sure after the launch, you will be flung to the side, pressed into your seat, and then flung out it again in a matter of seconds! Plus the very small hill before the trims above the station is going to give you a royal kicking!

Edit: New Video

http://www.towersalmanac.com/features/rita/constructionsite/rita_movie4.html

Edited by Ed