Lakemont Park changes

Park to re-open Memorial Day Weekend 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Lakemont Park changes

Postby thrillrider » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:40 pm

I don't either, because there are enough rides at Dorney park to keep us buisy for the day. Even with our platinum pass, we may have hit a waterpark twice in 8 years.

I also don't think the price is "bad", I just think it's odd that they dont offer a dry ride option for people that take a pass on the waterpark. I guess the individual ticket option is the best route to go.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:46 pm

One ride on each coaster comes out to $8 total. There are probably SBF spinners out there at FECs that cost that much for one ride and credit whores don't seem to bat an eye there. :lol:
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Arnolds Park & Nickelodeon Universe/Mall of America

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:53 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:One ride on each coaster comes out to $8 total. There are probably SBF spinners out there at FECs that cost that much for one ride and credit whores don't seem to bat an eye there. :lol:

It costs $10 a ride on White Lightning here at Fun Spot.

$16 for a ride on Manhattan Express last time I was in Vegas.

All I'm saying is that $20 is cheap af for an all-day ride pass, especially when you have rides as good or as legendary as Leap the Dips or Skyliner.
Last edited by robbalvey on Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:54 pm.

Postby thrillrider » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:56 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:One ride on each coaster comes out to $8 total. There are probably SBF spinners out there at FECs that cost that much for one ride and credit whores don't seem to bat an eye there. :lol:

Agree 100%
Cj Berrymores has one of those spinning coasters. I believe its $8 per ride as you mentioned. As soon as it decides not to rain on my days off, I'll be there riding it.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Ccron10 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:13 pm

I'd say this is an improvement considering Leap the Dips wasn't on the Pay-One-Price plan when I was there last time and I rode Skyliner a couple of times. Still debating whether to spend the 2 1/2 hours of driving and Pa Turnpike tolls to re-visit the park sometime this year, but we'll see.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby eddie200330 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:56 pm

Not to mention the all day pass includes the go karts.......that in itself is worth the 20 bucks. i took a family of four to a local FEC in Deep Creek Lake in Mayland and it basically was 2 kart traks, mini golf, and those flying saucer like bumper cars.....total spent was $160....and that was almost 5 years ago........
Life is a lemon and I want my money back????

He who farts in church sits in own pew.............

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:13 pm

For those who enjoyed Lakemont's Herschel Twister, please note it was sold to Midway Park, in additional to their Eli Bridge Ferris Wheel.

https://expo.syracuse.com/life-and-culture/g66l-2019/07/0e8dd4d15f9b4/this-vintage-upstate-ny-amusement-park-is-a-treasure-trove-of-nostalgia.html

This vintage Upstate NY amusement park is a treasure trove of nostalgia
By Ngoc Huynh | nhuynh@nyup.com | Posted July 11, 2019 at 06:30 AM

Step back in time for some fun at one of the oldest continually operating amusement parks in the nation since 1898.

Midway State Park provides classic midway games, old-fashioned candy apple, and a vintage carousel that overlooks Chautauqua Lake. It's about about 8 miles from Chautauqua and located at 4859 Route 430 in Bemus Point. Originally established as a trolley park, it's the only amusement park owned by New York state.

Before Six Flags, Disney resort attractions, and Universal Studios, many Americans enjoyed trolley parks.

U.S. railway companies built these trolley parks, hence the name. During the late 1800s and early 1900s, they constructed the parks as a way to earn weekend business. Customers frequent streetcars and railways while commuting to and from work. However, fares collected for weekends were low.

To solve that problem, many rail companies placed the parks at the end of their lines to maximize profits. Typically built by lakes, rivers, or beaches, the parks offered swimming, picnic grounds, ball fields, and live entertainment.

Midway State Park was established by the Jamestown & Lake Erie Railway in 1898. The trolley went from Mayville to Westfield. Midway got its name because it was midway on the lake between certain spots for the ferryboats and tour boats.

Families could relax and picnic at Midway. The park had 500 feet of lake front, a sandy beach for bathing, dance hall, playing fields, and tennis courts. Patrons enjoyed baseball, boating, dancing and more.

Guess how much a round-trip ticket on the railway from Jamestown or Mayville to Midway costs? Back then - 25 cents!

Usually, one of the first rides at trolley parks is a carousel. However, the first ride at Midway was the Jack Rabbit roller coaster in 1924.

The current carousel was actually made right in North Tonawanda at the Herschell Carousel Factory. It's a 1946 carousel that was purchased by the park in 1968 when Owasco Lake Park in Auburn closed. There is an extensive collection of Alan Herschell rides onsite.

Aside from the carousel, children and parents can take part in a game of mini golf, take a spin on the tilt-a whirl, or ride the go-karts. There are also many kiddie rides.

According to the National Amusement Park Historical Association, about 1,000 trolley parks operated in the U.S. by 1919. As automobiles became more accessible and gained popularity, trolley parks began shutting down. By the 1950s, Disneyland became a phenomenon and Americans flocked to theme parks.

In 2006, the state purchased Midway to preserve for all time. It is operated by New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.

Midway typically opens from May to September.

Hours: Depends, but typically opens from noon to 7 p.m. daily. Check the calendar. Amusement rides and the arcade are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. Rides are closed from 3 to 3:30 p.m. for safety checks.

Cost: There is no admission cost. Fees are for rides and games. Regular weekend day fee is $16 for Wristband 42" and over while $11 for Wristband under 42." Regular weekday fee is $14 for Wristband 42" and over while $9 for Wristband under 42."

The train, manufactured by the Miniature train Company in 1955, came to Midway in 1958. Running around the exterior of the park at 15 miles per hour, passengers are greeted by cartoon cutouts such as Little Bo Peep, Mother Goose, and Ferdinand the Bull.

The train ride begins at the Chautauqua Choo Choo Train Station. After all the passengers are on board, the conductor blows the whistle and the 4 minute ride begins. The ride is a popular way for visitors to start their day as it provides a view of the most of the rides during the trip which helps to plan their day.

Any child will feel like a super star after reaching the top of this 24-foot climbing wall and ringing the buzzer. Vertical Reality built the wall and installed it at Midway in 2000. If the climber makes it to the top, they will be able see a broad view of the ride area. The best part is that there are three sides to the wall so even if one side is mastered there are two other sides to try.

Midway has recently purchased two historic rides that are currently being refurbished for installment in the park - a 1948 Eli Bridge Ferris Wheel and a 1959 Herschell Twister. They were purchased from a trolley park in Lakemont Park in Altoona, PA.

Currently, among the events that Midway hosts include a large car show every Labor Day. Also, the Chautauqua Belle Steamship makes scheduled stops at Midway’s dock, reminiscent of the days when the lake had heavy steamship traffic
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby djcoastermark » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:04 pm

Twister was one of my fave rides when I was a kid to ride at Cedar Point. Dang, what a joy it would be to ride again

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:19 am

Midway has one of the best looking roller rinks I've ever seen. Too bad it's been closed to the public for awhile. But yeah, there's only one Twister on the road with a small show in Indiana, so this ride being re-opened in NY is a great thing.

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby palmerleeberry » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:38 am

I remember the Twister as being an unique ride I have ever seen, and to learn that this ride will now operate in another park is great news indeed. I checked out the site and found this park is more in tune to kids and families rather than the riders and amusement park flyers, so if I ever go there I'll just ride a few rides, shoot some miniature golf, play some arcade games in the pavilion, and kill a few hours.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!