Lakemont Park changes

Park to re-open Memorial Day Weekend 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Re: Lakemont park closed for the summer!

Postby SFOG1991 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:45 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:It'll be interesting to see what comes of Lakemont, but there are really only 3 rides I care about: the 2 wooden coasters and the Chance skydiver. Skyliner was pretty rough when I rode it but there were some nice spots of air.

During my one visit I wasn't overly impressed with the place. It's one thing to keep old rides like Knoebels, but it's another to not add anything new.

I went in thinking the $6-7 wristband was a steal. By the end of the day, it no longer felt like a steal.

The park is obviously struggling severely. I doubt they just choose to not add rides or make the place nice.

I give them some credit just for their history and all their rare vintage rides. I feel like it is a tragedy to see the last of any classic rides disappear, and this park holds quite a few that it would be nice to see preserved long term. Skyliner is one of very few coasters remaining from its era, and the Toboggan is one of what, two, left operating?

I assume Leap the Dips will be safe so I'm not worried about it being removed.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby MisterBrow » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:46 pm

I was all set to trek from MD for a BaySox vs Altoona game this summer just to ride the Dips. I was a little less excited with the reviews. Maybe they will clean it up into something nice... less is more?
Meister Brau just wants a path from CC to SM at SFA, meal plan burrito, some shade, and a restroom back there.

2019- Macho Nacho CHECK Restroom by Super CHECK!
New wish: New trains on ME

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:50 pm

A few years ago we planned a day trip (about 4 hours) to Lakemont, DelGrossos and a Curve game. After 30 minutes at Lakemont we realized it was way too much of a sh*t hole to stick around for 4 hours until game time so we left and went to Knoebels. Don't make a special trip for this abortion of a park. Don't be like us.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby ericthewanderer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:12 pm

While it does seem odd that Lakemont would close for the summer(especially since it's Leap The Dips' 115 anniversary),people are only missing out on Skyliner,LTD,and the miniature railway.
PS-It would be hilarious if Lakemont got Knott's Boomerang!! :lmao:

Postby Philrad71 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:42 pm

coasterbill wrote:A few years ago we planned a day trip (about 4 hours) to Lakemont, DelGrossos and a Curve game. After 30 minutes at Lakemont we realized it was way too much of a sh*t hole to stick around for 4 hours until game time so we left and went to Knoebels. Don't make a special trip for this abortion of a park. Don't be like us.

Well gee...now you're just starting to make this park sound like Conneaut Lake or something. ;)

Seriously though, I hope that they can turn it into a nice family park, keep the classics and sell the other rides to DelGrosso's or Knoebels. And if they can't farm them out to either of those parks, well...they always have Dorney, Michigan's Adventure or Valleyfair as a last resort! :lol:

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Ccron10 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:07 pm

I visited twice last summer. The first was to get the credits but Leap the Dips ended up being closed and I ended up talking to the nice lady who worked in the gift shop and we talked a lot about the history of the park. The second was on my way back from Cedar Point and managed to take a lap on Leap the Dips. I tried to get on Skyliner as well, but a storm rolled in. I did manage to talk one of the managers during that visited and commented on the renovations to the Dips and he said that they planned these half-year renovations to it for several seasons and this year would've been the last until it would be good for awhile. I guess they'll now have a full season to work on it.

Seeing the park do this kind of doesn't really surprise me considering the main midway seemed to be always vacant, the rides (except for Skyliner and Leap the Dips) never had any lines, and everything looked like it was on the verge of falling apart. I like the park and if downsizing to just the most popular rides will make it strive, I'm for it.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby I Like Theme Parks. » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:03 am

The only time I went, Leap the Dips AND the rare Skydiver ride were closed. The park sucked ass, but they did have an old-school Octopus ride that was pretty wild (and sketchy), a weird old tilt-a-whirl-whip hybrid which was interesting, a round-up, and Skyliner was a lot of fun. It would be a dream come true if Lamemont closed and DelGrosso's bought up their few good rides (since that's a very enjoyable park super close by that could actually benefit from those.)
Top 3 Parks: Knoebels, Dollywood, Cedar Point
Top 3 Steel Coasters: Steel Vengeance, Phantom's Revenge, Skyrush
Top 3 Wood Coasters: Voyage, Lightning Rod, El Toro
Top 3 Flat Rides: Knoebels Flyers, Zipper, It
185 coasters

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:09 am

coasterbill wrote: Don't make a special trip for this abortion of a park.
savage.gif

Postby coasterbill » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:26 am

^
:nina:
Philrad71 wrote:Well gee...now you're just starting to make this park sound like Conneaut Lake or something. ;)

:lol: While Conneaut is undoubtedly worse, it's a fair comparison. I would say this is easily the second worst park I've ever been to after Conneaut.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:37 am

Considering your hatred of La Ronde, that is impressive.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Knoebels & Dutch Wonderland

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!