TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Top/Favorite Hyper Coasters

Well its the off season for most. I'm surprised no topic about this exists that I could find.

With the discussion about hypers in the CGA thread, and older threads like Top 5 B&M inverts, I thought a thread about hypers would be fun. Not gigas, just hypers. And not just B&Ms, so many manufacturers have dabbled in hypers, and everyone in this hobby seems to at least have an appreciation for them, and likely have their favorites. Not to mention our more seasoned forum members have ridden many more than me and I'm curious how they rank for a lot of you.

My top 5:

~ Skyrush - The most insane coaster I have ridden. Not my favorite coaster but close. The only coaster that still terrifies me with every repeated lap, the "butterflies in stomach" feeling is always there when loading/dispatching. Unbelievable airtime that should be illegal. The 'thigh crush' moniker is completely appropriate after multiple laps but I love the thing enough to grin and bare it (and bitch for days about how my legs hurt).

~ Phantoms Revenge - Brilliant use of the terrain, the second (big) drop is breathtaking, the restraints allow for multiple glorious ejector moments during the brilliant finale. Unique enough to visit the park just for this ride alone, doesn't hurt that KW is awesome even without it.

~ Nitro - Fast, fun, floaty. My zen coaster. Could easily ride it repeatedly for hours without issue. Great capacity with a line that never stops moving (usually). Back right is the magic seat. Love that we have this from March-January every year now.

~ Magnum XL200 - Such a divisive ride; so many haters, so many obsessed fans. Went in with hesitation, came off in love. Had no issues with the restrains and will forever be confused as to why so many people dislike the original hyper coaster. The first half is not exactly anything to write home about, the back half is outstanding.

~ Goliath (SFOG) - Punchier than Nitro, snappier than the other B&M hypers I've ridden, insanely forceful downward helix, great bunnyhops at the end without a MCBR before them, brilliant use of the terrain in front of the park creating great presence for arriving guests, and while its not a noticable as PR, the second drop is better (and bigger) than the first.

What are your faves and why?

Edited by boldikus

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess? But Goliath (SFOG) is not 200 feet but still considered a hyper. As is Steel Eel and I think a few others. Personally I think its more of a style - big drops, no inversions, lapbars, focus on airtime.

I only ask because it's up to the discretion of the user. If Goliath (SFOG) is a hyper [200' height with 175' drop] then so is Lightning Rod [206' lift height, 165' drop], unless it needs to be height above ground directly below track. In that case, neither Phantom nor Apollo are hypers... It's all just a bit convoluted.

Or you can look at it being in the style of a "hyper coaster" - Tall, usually non-inverting that primarily focuses on large hills? That's if you want to include Goliath (La Ronde) or Steel Eel, which are both well-below 200' but have the character of a hyper. But that definition would include Gigas too...

Either way, I think most enthusiasts typical favorite steel coasters fall into some type of loose "hyper" definition depending on how you limit it. I think this topic will basically be the same as a "Favorite Steel Coasters" thread. With just less Maverick.

This is actually a really good idea for a thread.

One thing I find strange is that while every hyper outside of Primm, Nevada is a great ride, for whatever reason none of them crack my top 10-15, maybe even 20 coasters (but all 4 Giga Coasters do).

I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that the vast majority of the ones I've ridden are B&M hypers. All B&M hypers are great, but none of them are really elite rides. Fury 325 is spectacular, but the hypers really don't even come close to that level.

The Intamins are definitely a step up but they're also hampered by really stupid restraint systems which slightly detract from the ride. They're all still awesome, but I feel like I'd like them all better if they still ran with a Millennium Force style train.

Aside from the B&Ms and Intamins, the only ones I've ridden are Desperado (which blows), Goliath at SFMM (meh), Magnum and Steel Force. I absolutely love Magnum now that I know the seat belt trick. It has insane airtime, a great location and a fun layout. I'm also a fan of Steel Force in the front row but that ride isn't really ever going to blow anyone away.

Picking a top 5 is tough, but this is the best I came up with:

1) Magnum Xl 200: As I said, it has awesome airtime, a great location and a really fun layout. The ride does require a stupid trick to actually enjoy and it's very aggressive, but the strong airtime makes up for it and the fact that the ride isn't butter smooth and isn't afraid to throw you into the lap bar is kind of refreshing in a screwed up way.

2) Superman Ride of Bizarro the Ride or Whatever it is Today: I think this ride is slightly overrated but it's still awesome, especially in row one.

3) Ride of Steel - Darien Lake: This ride is incredibly underrated. I didn't expect much from it after riding the Six Flags America version but the ride's location and the fact that the layout was obviously designed for Darien Lake makes a huge difference. The new train is great too.

4) I can't believe I'm saying this but um... Skyrush - The first two times I visited Hershey in the Skyrush era I left hating this ride with a passion, but for some reason I came to Jesus in my last visit with Boldikus and the gang and ended up loving the thing. I hate it on the wing seats, but otherwise it's a spectacular ride. The lap bars are awful but the ride makes up for it by being awesome.

5) I have to be honest, I feel like it's time for a B&M and they all blend together so much I don't even know what to put here. I've ridden every North American B&M hyper except for Goliath at SFOG, Raging Bull and Mako and the ones that stand out the most are Apollo, Diamondback and Behemoth but I don't know which I prefer. I'm tempted to say Apollo because of the airtime off the pre drop in the back row but really it could be any of them. They're all great but they all blend together.

As far as the definition of hyper goes I'm not too picky. I'd include any steel coaster built in that style, so rides like Goliath at La Ronde and Steel Eel might as well count.

I only ask because it's up to the discretion of the user. If Goliath (SFOG) is a hyper [200' height with 175' drop] then so is Lightning Rod [206' lift height, 165' drop], unless it needs to be height above ground directly below track. In that case, neither Phantom nor Apollo are hypers... It's all just a bit convoluted.

Or you can look at it being in the style of a "hyper coaster" - Tall, usually non-inverting that primarily focuses on large hills? That's if you want to include Goliath (La Ronde) or Steel Eel, which are both well-below 200' but have the character of a hyper. But that definition would include Gigas too...

Either way, I think most enthusiasts typical favorite steel coasters fall into some type of loose "hyper" definition depending on how you limit it. I think this topic will basically be the same as a "Favorite Steel Coasters" thread. With just less Maverick.

I can totally see where you are coming from, and in fact this right here made me hesitate to start the thread. For me its not its height (200ft+) that makes it fall under the "hyper" title, but the style. For instance, the 3 U.S. dive coasters are all over 200 feet but the style of the ride is totally different from the "usual" style of hypers which again is about tall coasters with consecutive large drops, no inversions, and a focus on airtime. I did say "no gigas" cause I knew that they'd make tons of peoples lists (MF and I305 would easily have made mine) so I thought I'd up the degree of difficulty, if you will.

I can totally see where you are coming from, and in fact this right here made me hesitate to start the thread. For me its not its height (200ft+) that makes it fall under the "hyper" title, but the style. For instance, the 3 U.S. dive coasters are all over 200 feet but the style of the ride is totally different from the "usual" style of hypers which again is about tall coasters with consecutive large drops, no inversions, and a focus on airtime. I did say "no gigas" cause I knew that they'd make tons of peoples lists (MF and I305 would easily have made mine) so I thought I'd up the degree of difficulty, if you will.

Cool, yeah I agree about Dive coasters as well as 200'+ Intamin accelerator coasters (Xcelerator, Stealth) or shuttle coasters (Mr Freeze, Wicked Twister). I don't think I'd count Cannibal either... I'll exclude the shorter airtime-based rides like Mega Lites, RMCs, etc. too.

Well here's my top 10 hypers (and how they rank overall in my favorite steel list):

1. Skyrush (3)

2. Superman the Ride (9)

3. Behemoth (11)

4. Goliath (SFOG) (12)

5. Diamondback (13)

6. Nitro (17)

7. Superman el Último Escape (27)

8. Goliath (La Ronde) (28)

9. Intimidator (29)

*10. Hollywood Dream (31) (Don't know if 144' is too short to count? but it's only a few feet shorter than LR's Goliath)

11. Raging Bull (33)

12. Apollo's Chariot (39)

13. Magnum XL-200 (41)

14. Thunder Dolphin (42)

Others that didn't make the list: Goliath (SFMM), Titan, Desperado, Steel Eel, Manhattan Express (is this a hyper?)

Edited by chickenbowl

I'll borrow chickenbowl's format.

1. Skyrush (1) - Most of us can probably do a good job of maximizing our ride experience on coasters by knowing where to sit and how to position ourselves and the restraints. Skyrush is different. It says, "No, human. I'M IN CONTROL, NOT YOU!!! Your tricks will not work!" The most intense and exhilarating experience I've ever had on any ride.

2. Phantom's Revenge (9) - As smooth or smoother than anything else on the list along with some of the best airtime, plus extra points for the terrain and unique layout.

3. Magnum XL-200 (10) - I still don't understand the criticism this ride gets. Like a wooden coaster running 3 bench PTCs, all you have to do is sit in the middle row of any car and it will not be rough, and even if you don't, it's not like the moderate roughness it can have is painful. Excellent airtime, a classic setting, and just the right amount of old school Ron Toomer quirkiness.

4. Goliath (SFOG) (15) - The fastest paced and least trimmed of all the B&M hypers. Only the last few bunny hops have what I would call real ejector air, the rest have nice, strong floater. This coaster is good enough I don't even mind SFOG's lack of an Intamin or RMC.

5. Nitro (16) - Very tough choice between this and Goliath. I deduct a couple of points from this one for the MCBR and less ideal setting.

6. Superman: The Ride/Bizarro (21)

7. Mako (22)

8. Superman el Ultimo Escape (23)

9. Diamondback (36)

10. Apollo's Chariot (37)

11. Steel Force

12. Mamba

13. Titan

14. Intimidator

15. Goliath (SFMM)

16. Desperado

Edited by Condor

*2. Mega Lite (5) (This coaster is in the style of a hyper? I don't know...)

I want to ride one so bad, I guess the closest I'll ever get is heading over to KK for LR. Hopefully in 2017

I always say if I ever win (or make?) a large amount of money I am buying a nice little low-maintenance house with a backyard large enough for a megalite. Ill have to have it modified so I can control it from the front or back seat in case no one else is around. I wonder if that's possible. Oh who am I kidding Intamin will do anything.

I always have trouble ranking, but mine would probably be something like this:

1. Skyrush - Insane ejector airtime which is exactly what I love most about coasters.

2. Magnum XL200 - I love the wonky classic feel it provides, the setting is insane, and the airtime is ridiculously abrupt in the best way.

3. Goliath at SFOG - I really find all of the B&M hypers to be too tame and I've been on every one in the US except for Mako, but Goliath is definitely a notch about with stronger airtime, heavier G forces in what I consider B&Ms best helix, and more whip in the directional changes.

4. Phantoms Revenge - The second drop and the airtime finale are both amazing.

5. Superman The Ride at SFNE - Really solid ride but I actually expected a bit more based on reviews. Still a great coaster and my 3, 4, and 5 spots are very close here.

This list also made me realize all the best hypers are in the eastern US and the rest of the country is lacking. The west coast could really use a highly rated hyper.

I'd say Magnum is my favorite hyper. Even though its a tad rough it still has a lot of hills and air time. I never got a chance to try out Diamondback or Skyrush yet but i want to one day these seem awesome! Never been to Hershey Park and although i been to Kings Island it was before they got Diamondback.

Let's get this out of the way why don't we: The top worst hyper coaster is Manhattan Express.

And as for my favorite hyper, that'd be Goliath at Magic Mountain which barely edges out Magnum for its intensity (though there is no airtime on it)

I will tank all my hypers, from best to worst:

1. Skyrush. So perfect, this ride might have actually ruined other hypers for me! The airtime is insane, and there are also plenty of positive G's and laterals throughout the course. I rode 21 times the first time I went to Hershey after this thing opened. (I ride every other coaster one or two times).

2. Phantom's Revenge. This is a very good coaster with lots of ejector air (especially in the back row). It is a little bit inconsistent on pacing, but it also gets bonus points in my book for having a very unique layout, and also some awesome restraints. (The restraints are the loosest of any hyper I have ridden, guaranteeing some real airtime).

3. Apollo's Chariot. It is a somewhat standard B&M hyper, but I give this one bonus points for having a cool location

4. Nitro. Quite possibly the most intense of the B&M hypers.

5. Diamondback. Standard B&M hyper.

6. Superman: Ride of Steel. There are some really amazing parts to this ride. The airtime hills in the back row are great! But anything that is not an airtime hill just seems out of place. (The helices and straight sections).

7. Intimidator (Carowinds). A fine hyper, but I rank this one a bit lower for being basically a parking lot coaster. (Though that sort of fits the theme).

8. Magnum. The layout of this coaster is great, but the roughness and restraints do detract from the enjoyment. Though it does help to tighten the seatbelt. If this coaster had some of its bad turns smoothed out, and got better trains, this would be my favorite coaster at Cedar Point.

9. Steel Force. The layout is fine, but the shape of the trains do limit the sensation of speed. There is plenty of floater air, though. This is a very fun coaster, but it does not give the thrills it could given its heights.

10. Titan. This coaster is all about intensity and positive G's. It does very well in the intensity category, but it does not do much else.

11. Goliath. Basically Titan without one of the helices. It is basically a big forceless ride with one intense moment. While this has the weakest layout of any hyper I have ridden, it is smooth and still enjoyable.

12. New York, New York. I decided to rank this one among the rest because the layout is "hyper coaster" enough. (It is technically over 200 ft). There are some good parts to this ride, as in, you get descent air on the second drop, and the dive loop is pretty cool. Other than that, this is not a good coaster. This would be a perfectly fine coaster if it did not have those OTSR's. With lap bars, and without the inversions, this would make a fine hyper coaster. Not one of the better ones, but a fine ride.

I have not ridden Desperado yet, but it is safe to assume that it would either be second worst or the very worst on this list. Only my own state could screw up two hyper coasters.

Good topic! I've actually been on a number of hypers, so this is something I can compare.

1. Magnum XL-200: The original is still the best. Airtime like you won't believe until you experience it.

2. Diamondback: This coaster is nearly perfect. It's fast, forceful, and not too intense. I could ride it all day.

3. Goliath (SFMM): Totally underrated. It's huge, fast, and has a tunnel. It does everything a hyper should do, and does it so well.

4. Mamba: This is the coaster that got me into coasters, so it's very special to me.

5. Wild Thing: Just a bit different from Mamba, and so satisfying. The figure-8 is not quite as good as Mamba's helix.

6. Raging Bull: Terrible. I don't understand how this is so big and fast and yet totally fails to feel like either. It's just not any good at all.

Okay, well if we go by that page then X2 is the worst hypercoaster ever and Wild Eagle is my absolute favorite hypercoaster. I mean... it's not, but I'll just roll with that. Be an eagle, not a chicken.

Wait are you saying that X2 is worse than Manhattan Express? Also I'm not a chicken.