TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Top/Favorite Hyper Coasters

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2018 update

1. Skyrush

2. Steel Vengeance - I very nearly put this at #1 and I still haven't completely made up my mind. It's every bit as good as you've heard. Skyrush just has that extra 5% psychopathic intensity and for now that gives it the edge even though it's far less of a complete ride.

3. Expedition GeForce

4. Superman The Ride

5. Phantom's Revenge

6. Magnum XL-200

7. Schwur des Karnan

8. Goliath (SFOG)

9. Nitro

10. Superman el Ultimo Escape

11. Mako

12. Silver Star

13. Diamondback

14. Apollo's Chariot

15. Titan

16. Goliath (SFMM)

17. Raging Bull - I really wanted to like this one. Everyone knows about the trims, but there are some people who manage to enjoy it just fine despite them. I wasn't one of them. If they let this thing run like SFOG's Goliath I think this could actually be one of the best B&M hypers.

18. Intimidator

19. Steel Force

20. Mamba

21. Desperado

• 3 weeks later...

1. Raging Bull @ Six Flags Great America - extremely rerideable, and outside of the one trimmed hill that everyone and their dog complains about for whatever reason, has a really fun layout with really good airtime and sideways hangtime, especially in the back left seat

2. Diamondback @ Kings Island - floater buffet in an excellent setting, plus it has a splashdown so obviously it must be perfect because it does the splashy splashy

*3. Mr. Freeze: Reverse Blast @ Six Flags Over Texas & Six Flags St. Louis - intense and ridiculous rides that don't obey the laws of coaster anything and are all the better for it

*4. Cannibal @ Lagoon - incredibly smooth inversions with an amazing first drop and, of course, lap bars!

*5. Valravn @ Cedar Point - everything except the lap bar comment from Cannibal applies here.

6. Magnum XL-200 @ Cedar Point - idk where the complaints about roughness come from, but the airtime is definitely painful in some seats/seatbelt positions. someone has probably written a novel on each and every possible combination of seat-related factor and how it affects the airtime on this ride.

*7. Wicked Twister @ Cedar Point - these things are fun, but nothing special, and for whatever reason this one is over 200 feet

8. Titan @ Six Flags Over Texas - laughably bad layout with no redeeming qualities except that it's smooth and that it's not Firehawk

*not traditional hypers

• 3 weeks later...

This thread got me pretty pumped for my Knoebels/CP/Hershey trip next week. Been a long time since I've ridden some of these but here goes...

1. Skyrush

2. Superman (SFNE)

3. Nitro

4. Phantoms Revenge

5. Apollo's Chariot

6. Magnum

7. Superman (SFA&DL)

9. Steel Force

These are my top 5 traditional hyper coasters. Traditional 200ft-299ft coaster with NO inversions (I've been on 12 total). This list excludes the new breed such as Griffon/Sheikra/Valrvn, Steel Vengeance, X2, etc with inversions or over 299ft

1. Nitro

2. Mako

3. Apollo's Chariot

4. Magnum XL200

5. Intimidator 232

I notice that a lot of you have Apollo's Chariot (so do I) ranked pretty high... Even with all of the newer hypers that have popped up over the years...

Airtime & terrain makes it amazing for me. Do you think because it's a classic and one of the first B&M hypers that makes it ranked so high as well? Thoughts?

I notice that a lot of you have Apollo's Chariot (so do I) ranked pretty high... Even with all of the newer hypers that have popped up over the years...

For me at least, the pre-drop is a major reason why I think so highly of Apollo and Raging Bull. In the last row they absolutely launch you all the way down the drop. It's a ton of fun.

Well after the latest trip, I added:

Apollo

Skyrush

Superman: ROS (SFA)

Rerode for the first time in a while:

Magnum

Goliath (SFOG)

Before the trip, I have enjoyed all of the B&M hypers the same, but Apollo's Chariot is now the only B&M hyper that didn't do much of anything for me. I'm still baffled as to why. It has all the things I love: old school pre drop, great setting/interaction with the terrain, helix, funky twisty bits. Maybe it was because of how ungodly hot/humid it was and the ride is very long. Or the other rides at BGW were more memorable.

Skyrush was arguably the MOST memorable coaster in recent memory I've experienced

Superman at SFA was great! I only rode in the front seat because it was a walk on, and although the first big hill and straightbitstraightbitstraightbit leave you puzzled, the sensation of speed and rest of the elements were lots of fun!

I still don't believe in the seatbelt trick so go ahead and throw coat hangers at me or whatever you deem necessary. Seriously, it just puts the clip of the seatbelt right into your middle!

BUT! I found a spot I really like - 5th car middle row. I will be happy riding there for the remainder of my life, it was a fun ride. Still. It would be incredible to ride through that circuit along the lake with a more open style of train (yeah yeah very original idea, I know).

Goliath was just as much fun as I remembered. Intense helix, all that.

Ranking:

I'd like to re-ride all of the hypers I've been on.

• 3 months later...

1: Mako

2: Diamondback

3: Apollo's Chariot

4: Intimidator

5: Goliath (SFOG)

6: Magnum XL200

After riding Goliath @ SFOG again recently, I've had to update this.

1: Mako

2: Diamondback

3: Goliath (SFOG)

4: Apollo's Chariot

5: Intimidator

6: Magnum XL200

For me at least, the pre-drop is a major reason why I think so highly of Apollo and Raging Bull. In the last row they absolutely launch you all the way down the drop. It's a ton of fun.

I actually think row 8 on Bull is better than the last in terms of getting airtime on the drop.

Interesting despite the very vocal Magnum hate on this site, that it appears near the top of basically everyone’s top 10

I’ll do top 5 and bottom 5, since the middle ones are all kinda a draw, and I’ll only include traditional hypers:

Top 5:

1- Magnum (thigh-bruising, teeth-chipping airtime. love)

2- Phantom’s Revenge (see above)

3- Nitro

4- Mako (B&M’s only good hyper since they introduced the new trains)

5- Apollo’s Chariot (love the setting more than anything, I think, though I’ve had some terribly boring rides on it)

Bottom 5:

11- Diamondback (not a fan of the staggered hyper trains, as they all seem to just crawl over every hill)

12- Behemoth (see above)

13- Goliath/Titan (how can a 250+ foot drop be so boring?)

14- Intimidator Carowinds (same. Ditch those trains, B&M)

15- Raging Bull (hate to be that guy, but THAT TRIM kills what could be a fantastic ride)

• 1 year later...

1. Steel Vengeance

2. Skyrush

3. Superman: The Ride (SFNE)

4. Phantoms Revenge

5. Mako

6. Nitro

7. Magnum XL200

8. Goliath (SFOG)

9. Apollos Chariot

10. Superman:ROS (SFA)

11. Steel Force