Dutch Wonderland 2017

New Coaster
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Dutch Wonderland 2017

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:29 am

It's a bummer it didn't open this year, but I like the interaction and I'm sure I'll be revisiting Hershey again in the next few years.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Indianapolis Zoo & John Ivers Backyard/Blue Flash

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:42 am

Finally...

New roller coaster opens to public this weekend at Dutch Wonderland

merlins.jpg

Dutch Wonderland’s first suspended roller coaster will open for the season Saturday.

Merlin’s Mayhem, with its 60-foot rise and two helix turns, is the tallest ride at the East Lampeter Township amusement park.

The ride was supposed to open last season. Because of the delay, the park invited pass holders from last year to an event this past weekend where they were able to be the first people to ride the new coaster, according to spokeswoman Hannah Shepherd.

The coaster opens to the public for the first time after Dutch Wonderland’s opening day ceremony at 10 a.m. Saturday. Twenty guests can ride at a time. Riders must be at least 3 feet 3 inches tall.

The coaster is considered suspended because its cars hang below and can swing from steel rails.

Dutch Wonderland is open weekends through May and adds daily hours Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day. The park has over 35 rides, other attractions and shows. Tickets can be purchased online at dutchwonderland.com or at the park.

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:48 am

Great news! I was wondering what happened with this project. Hopefully everything runs smoothly at opening.
Steel: 160 / Wood: 31 / Total: 191
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:56 am

^^ Exactly my thoughts. Hoping the coaster rides as smooth as the new Vekoma suspended coasters like the one at Fun Spot.
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby CoasterLover » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:06 am

Hooray! My kids were pretty bummed when they didn't get to ride last year. Hoping to hit up this quaint little park once again later this summer (hopefully after the initial buzz dies down)... plus, they have Dole Whip there, so there's that too...

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby SLCHeadache » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:21 pm

If it really swings, then between this and the first CCI ever built, I could squeeze this place into my next return to Pennsylvania.
Top steel: Millennium Force / Steel Vengeance / Intimidator 305 / Maverick / Fury 325
Top wood: El Toro / Phoenix / GhostRider / Renegade / Flying Turns

Postby cal1br3tto » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:14 pm

^It's worth a quick stop. While not notably intense, Kingdom Coaster is on the big side for the kiddie/junior/family genre of wooden coasters. And if you're into old-school flat rides, the Dutch Wonder House (simple haunted swing) is charming and trippy. I haven't ridden them, and no one seems to talk about this anymore (maybe cuz this is a kiddie park), but last time I checked the bumper cars were Lusses.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby CoasterLover » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:45 am

Dutch Wonderland has posted a POV of Merlin's Mayhem on their FaceBook page:

https://www.facebook.com/DutchWonderlandPA/

Seems like a fun little family/junior coaster (and a decent size coaster for a relatively small park!)

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:15 pm

That last tunnel looks like it will have quite the footchopper.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Merlin’s Mayhem Media Day at Dutch Wonderland

Postby Sluggo77 » Thu May 03, 2018 5:25 pm

Dutch Wonderland unveiled their new Merlin’s Mayhem suspended coaster and invited TPR to check it out at media day. For those that don’t know Dutch Wonderland they’re known as being "A Kingdom for Kids!" The park has been in operation since 1963 and is located in Lancaster, PA.

Merlin’s Mayhem is the newest and largest roller coaster / ride at Dutch Wonderland topping off at 60 ft. It’s located pretty much in the center of the park as you enter, looks great and dominates the area. Being a park geared towards families and especially kids this coaster comes with the storyline of Merlin the Magician and his best friend Mayhem who happens to be a bright green dragon.

Long story short, guests are given a chance to soar through the sky with Merlin to find his beloved mischievous friend. The story starts throughout the queue, continues with onboard audio and finishes with 3 endings that all leave Merlin needing your help to find Mayhem yet again.

As for the coaster it really is a good family sized ride. The layout was fun and it fits the park well. They did a good job with the details and in talking with them it’s obvious that they are very proud of how it turned out. It’s awesome to see a park of this size putting in such a large investment. The demographic that Dutch Wonderland caters to should totally love it for years to come.

Just wanted to give a huge thanks to the park’s Marketing Manager, Hannah Shepard, and the entire Dutch Wonderland team for their hospitality during the event and to Robb for having us cover it!

Here’s the on-ride video.

Here’s several pics from media day.
01.JPG
Welcome to Dutch Wonderland!
02.JPG
Something new is lurking above the castle.
03.JPG
We're here to check it out.
04.JPG
It's Merlin's Mayhem the park's new coaster.
05.JPG
All set up for the media.
06.JPG
Didn't get a great pic of it but as soon as you enter the queue you start to get the storyline from a monitor that's on the left wall with Merlin talking to you.
07.JPG
Geared for kids but I still fit.
08.JPG
Thanks to these solid instructions :)
09.JPG
All through the queue the story continues with the well done theming.
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG
13.JPG
14.JPG
Timeline of Mayhem from hatchling to trouble making dragon.
16.JPG
In the station instead of normal gates they have numbered doors which fully open once riders are able to board the train.
17.JPG
The Enchanted Flying Machine!
18.JPG
19.JPG
Flying Machine Controls.
20.JPG
21.PNG
Here's a mix of the coaster layout with and without the train.
22.JPG
23.PNG
24.PNG
25.JPG
26.PNG
27.JPG
Pretty cool feature is that the Magic Flying Machine train dives under the park's other train.
28.JPG
29.PNG
30.JPG
31.PNG
32.PNG
From that smiling face she liked it as I'm sure many will.
33.PNG
As mentioned when exiting the train one of three endings to the story will play here.
34.JPG
From there you exit into Merlin's Marketplace.
35.JPG
Where the kid's can get all sorts of fun stuff.
36.JPG
Along with your on-ride photo.
37.JPG
Hi Hannah! Thanks again to Dutch Wonderland and to everyone for checking out this report.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!