TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Scotch Plains Amusement Park Bowcraft Is Closing

If there is a thread dedicated to this park I could not find it, my apologies please merge.

Sad News: Scotch Plains Amusement Park Bowcraft Is Closing

The Scotch Plains amusement park staple, Bowcraft, will be closing its doors after this season. The land was recently sold to a developer who plans on turning it into apartments and townhouses. Since 1946, this small amusement park was a Route 22 landmark for families. While lacking the big fancy rides of Six Flags or even the Land of Make Believe, it had plenty of old school options like the Merry-Go-Round, Balloon Ride, Super Slide, Dragon Coaster, Tilt-A-Whirl and more. The park feels, which makes visitors feel like they’re at a gigantic carnival remains one of the more affordable options for summer afternoon or weekend fun.

The Scotch Plains Planning Board meets to approve the developer plan on Sept. 26. It seems that the park will remain open on weekends through early October as per their schedule.

Edited by larrygator

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somethingsomethingmarketsomethingcapitalismsomething. There, that chain of gibberish was better than most park closure analysis.

On a serious note, I tried to go on Crossbow a few years ago and they had it closed up for the fall. It sits on a flat piece of land, so I expect it to be of interest to someone out there. Maybe it moves closer to me; lol yeah right. Seriously though that park actually put in effort for some of the infrastructure. I remember they installed concrete pavers for a bunch of it instead of just cheap shitty blacktop like a lot of places. Oh well, I'm sure the condos that may or may not ever get built on the site will be popular another real estate price deflation from now.

Apparently this place is 30 minutes from me and I've never even heard of it.

You still have time to go and honestly you should. If I had Crossbow 30 minutes from me I'd ride it quite a bit. It's not amazing but it's a fun ride.

I might try to get over there before it closes, anything else worth going on?

I never like to see a park shut its doors for good, even if the park isn't on an Astroworld/Geauga Lake scale at closing. The Zierer Crossbow looks like it really packs a punch for its size -- I'd be surprised if it doesn't find a new home sooner than later.

Not really. If you're into credit whoring they have a kids coaster and I think adults can ride it but I don't know for sure since we're not about that life. They also have a Paratrooper which we rode because I love them, but there's nothing about it that makes it noteworthy. It's not like it's the Fun Spot America paratrooper of death that everyone needs to go out of their way to experience.

Not really. If you're into credit whoring they have a kids coaster and I think adults can ride it but I don't know for sure since we're not about that life. They also have a Paratrooper which we rode because I love them, but there's nothing about it that makes it noteworthy. It's not like it's the Fun Spot America paratrooper of death that everyone needs to go out of their way to experience.

I stopped in for a little bit earlier today. Crossbow had a nice layout and I liked the trains, but it was rattling the whole ride. The Dragon Coaster does allow adults (I may or may not know from experience). Outside of that, the park has some classic flats and kiddie rides. The antique cars looked particularly nice with safari statues next to the layout.

As a thrill seeker, the park wouldn't have warranted a return trip from me. However, the park had an excellent collection of rides for the younger crowd.

I guess that was kinda my point, a great little park to start the young-uns out at before they are ready for the big time. Sometimes the big parks are too overwhelming for kids and these small family parks help ease them in to the majors. Plus, they are a lot of fun for the whole group from toddlers to grandmas. Sad there are not to many left.