Photo TR: Password's Trek to the Midwest

Day Six - Cedar Point p. 7
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: Photo TR: Password's Trek to the Midwest

Postby Password121 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:41 am

coasterbill wrote:Great report! I look forward to seeing more.
Thanks coasterbill! I should have the next day up hopefully tomorrow.

^^I'll get to my thoughts on Raptor soon enough, but I'm not sure I would agree that Banshee can induce headaches. Maybe if you ride exclusively in the last row in a 2-hour ert session without drinking water in July I could see it getting uncomfortable, but I didn't have any complaints about Banshee's smoothness. Maybe it varies person to person.
2017 Millennium Force Ride Host
2018 Millennium Force Team Leader

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby LiftThrill » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:54 am

Password121 wrote:^^I'll get to my thoughts on Raptor soon enough, but I'm not sure I would agree that Banshee can induce headaches. Maybe if you ride exclusively in the last row in a 2-hour ert session without drinking water in July I could see it getting uncomfortable, but I didn't have any complaints about Banshee's smoothness. Maybe it varies person to person.

Nah it was smooth, it just had an awkward flow of elements that led to me getting a g-force headache every time I rode. What's even weirder is, I was probably more hydrated at Kings Island than I've been on any other day of my life. I probably drank two gallons of water that day. I also rode in the front row 2 out of the three times and in the 5th row the third time. Definitely not rough at all, just not really that rerideable. The vest restraints also kicked it down a notch for me as well.
1. Fury 325 | 2. Millennium Force | 3. New Texas Giant | 4. Outlaw Run | 5. Maverick | 6. Twisted Cyclone | 7. Iron Rattler | 8. The Voyage | 9. Goliath (SFGAm) | 10. Time Traveler

Postby Password121 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:49 am

LiftThrill wrote:
Password121 wrote:^^I'll get to my thoughts on Raptor soon enough, but I'm not sure I would agree that Banshee can induce headaches. Maybe if you ride exclusively in the last row in a 2-hour ert session without drinking water in July I could see it getting uncomfortable, but I didn't have any complaints about Banshee's smoothness. Maybe it varies person to person.

Nah it was smooth, it just had an awkward flow of elements that led to me getting a g-force headache every time I rode. What's even weirder is, I was probably more hydrated at Kings Island than I've been on any other day of my life. I probably drank two gallons of water that day. I also rode in the front row 2 out of the three times and in the 5th row the third time. Definitely not rough at all, just not really that rerideable. The vest restraints also kicked it down a notch for me as well.
Interesting. The vests and the vibrations in the back were really the only issues I had with the comfort of riding Banshee at all, but in general I'd consider it one of the most re-rideable major coasters out there. I guess everyone manages forces differently because I had no problem with the flow of elements or intensity of any part of Banshee, at least in terms of comfort.

I had about half of day three typed out but my laptop pooped on me and reloaded the page so it's gone and I don't have the patience for that right now... it'll be up at some point this weekend.

Day Three: Kings Island and Cedar Point

Postby Password121 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:59 pm

Day Three: Kings Island and Cedar Point
Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Trip Report
Kings Island

After more than 10 hours spent in the park the previous day and taking advantage of the light crowds to get on all the must-rides and multiple laps on the favorites, it wouldn't seem like a bad idea at all to sleep in a little, grab a decent breakfast, and have a leisurely morning before heading out on the road to "America's Roller Coast."

So, what did we do? We set the alarm bright and early because we slept .8 miles from two of the best B&M's in the country.

Up and out of the room by 9:15, we packed up the car before checking out and attempting to ingest the Microtel Inn's "continental breakfast." Oh boy.

This isn't a trip report about a free breakfast at a motel, so I won't drag this on at all but I imagine this is the kind of food prescribed to elderly people with shockingly low levels of fiber in their diet with severe constipation that really need to flush their system before a colonoscopy. Our breakfast ended up being the cup of skim milk from the bowl. I should say that other than the free breakfast which doesn't even need to be included, the Microtel Inn was clean, had two beds and is less than a mile from Kings Island.

Into the park a little before 10, we headed first towards Diamondback. We grabbed three rides this morning, all in the back. If you haven't read the previous updates from this trip report, my thoughts on this ride are found on page two. I'd like to reiterate how much I enjoyed this coaster, though--several moments of well sustained, respectably strong floater airtime, along with a great location in the woods. I'm still having a hard time deciding between this and Nitro (leaning towards the latter for the stronger helix and more airtime hills), though I may have been spoiled by Phantom's Revenge which I thought was far superior to both rides and is criminally underrated.

At this point it was around 10:30, so we made our way towards Action Zone. I don't recall the exact order as I was more focused on just enjoying the park than keeping track of anything other than my phone and wallet, but we rode Banshee twice (1x front, 1x back), The Bat again up front, and Drop Tower. We then checked out Festhaus for the dining plan lunch, but didn't really feel like pizza or Chinese so we meandered around the park a bit looking for somewhere a little more appealing before settling on nuggets from Chick-fil-a. This also served an additional purpose--to just walk around the park, enjoy the atmosphere of the type of place I just feel completely relaxed, and take it all in one last time. We were wrapping up our time at Kings Island, and it was beginning to set in that in less than half a day, we'll have reached our ultimate destination.

Just a few minutes after noon, we looked back at the famous fountains and Eiffel Tower one last time and began the 3.5 hour drive from Mason to Sandusky.

Trip Report
Cedar Point

We checked into our Motel 6 sometime around 4pm and decided to take an hour in our room to refuel, grab some snacks, and just take a short break from everything before beginning the first night of four straight days at Cedar Point. It felt a little surreal. It was almost a little sentimental to me, being a graduation trip, thinking back at how the last four years have played out, as I laid on the bed outside the park three years earlier almost to the day.

Wiping those imaginary tears away, it was time to get down to business. We grabbed the keys and made our way towards the causeway.

No matter how old or young you are, whether you're a local passholder or an international first-timer, driving down the causeway is just one of those striking moments that you can't easily forget. The combination of the beautiful location along with the colorful skyline makes for one of the most grand, "you are there" kind of moments. Cue back the imaginary tears.

Getting down to business, I opened up the Cedar Point app to save our parking location which would actually come in incredibly handy, but I'll get to that in a bit. As it was already well after 5pm we had no plan of attack and frankly that didn't matter to us. We walked through the gates and began our evening.

We first headed towards Raptor and were pleasantly surprised to see a short (10 minute) wait. We then continued across the midway to GateKeeper, followed up by Millennium Force, Maverick, Dragster, Magnum and the Cedar Downs Racing Derby (in some order that I do not precisely recall). We grabbed dinner at Johnny Rockets, and at some point around 9pm before considering our last ride before queuing for a night ride on Millennium Force it started to sprinkle. And then rain, and then a torrential thunderstorm. We found shelter in the snoopy gift shop and waited for some of the rain to subside before taking cover as we exited the park. Just after we passed under the gates again, the rain picked back up limiting visibility to around 30 feet. There's something about Cedar Point's parking lot that does not allow proper drainage as we were wading in four inches of water at point after just 20 minutes of rain. This is where the parking reminder came in handy as we would've been meandering for more than a few uncomfortable minutes in the middle of that flooded lot.

Despite the wash out at night keeping us away from the first round of night rides, we took advantage of minimal crowds this time at Cedar Point, which probably would've been a massive help to getting everything done we wanted to had the park reached anywhere near normal crowds the remainder of our visit.

Review

I'll leave my full review of Cedar Point for the conclusion of the trip report at the end of day six. My review of Kings Island can be found on page two.

It was kind of cool to have done the whole "ride Diamondback and Millennium Force in the same day" thing. It's become kind of a thing at home to do the same with Intimidator 305 and Fury 325, though I've yet to make it down to Carowinds.

Attractions
Kings Island

Drop Tower (1x): It makes sense to compare this model to Kings Dominion's, with the only notable differences being the rotation on Kings Island's on the ascent (which I thought was a good idea) as well as this model being just slightly shorter, though it's hardly noticeable. The drop feels about equivalent in intensity and duration to the KD version, to be honest. The reduced capacity is noticeable, however, as Kings Dominion's is almost always a walk-on with 64 (?) seats.

Cedar Point
I'll leave the coasters for the first full day of our visit, though there was one attraction we rode this day, and this day only...

Cedar Downs Racing Derby (1x): We probably wouldn't have ridden this had the crowds not been so minimal as it really wasn't a priority going in, but I'm really glad we decided to make the stop to digest after dinner. This followed up nicely to Kennywood's "wtf?" restraint situation on the wood coasters and Kangaroo. It's been said before but I'll echo again... why does this ride not have any restraints? It's seriously worth a ride if you're not strapped for time and it had us just laughing the entire ride.

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed!
image.jpeg
Back at Kings Island for the morning, though it's much less of an island than where we would be later in the day. Again, really a beautiful entrance plaza that sets the tone for the park nicely.
image.jpeg
There's something surreal about being somewhere you've seen countless times in pictures. Well, now we're seeing it in pictures again. So I guess back to where we started.
image.jpeg
I'm not really sure why I felt compelled to take this picture, but this is the front of Diamondback's ride photo/gift shop
image.jpeg
Speaking of Diamondback... I love the way the supports really sprawl around, like a tripod grasping its footing. Very graceful in both appearance and ride experience.
image.jpeg
The Festhaus really does look like a nice place to sit down and eat, but that's not exactly what we were looking for so we opted to try elsewhere before hitting the road
image.jpeg
The drive from Mason to Sandusky really embodies the Midwest. I think we passed a gas station so I think it's safe to say that industry is booming.
image.jpeg
Then suddenly, a small town called Sandusky appears out of nowhere, home to a small crappy park on a pier...
image.jpeg
...with a massive B&M wing coaster flying overhead. Seriously this ride is beautiful and they did a stellar job reimagining the entrance plaza.
image.jpeg
This is a familiar sight leading towards Raptor (formerly Craptor, but it's been freshly painted so I'll spare it the nickname for at least a few years.
image.jpeg
GateKeeper may be beautiful, but this is just sexy. Not the helix, the empty queue, silly.
image.jpeg
And this isn't so bad looking either.
image.jpeg
During my last visit (2014) I thought there was no way they could fit a full-scale coaster anywhere in the front half of the park. I've been proven wrong.
image.jpeg
Screw Valravn though, horsies! Crazy fast, whipping horsies!
image.jpeg
It may be a little hard to see, but this is looking out the back entrance of the snoopy gift shop near the Ballroom on the main midway. Ominous.
image.jpeg
A quick look back heading out of the park in a short break from the downpour...
Last edited by Password121 on Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:00 am.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby GCI Wooden » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:53 am

Password121 wrote:Cedar Downs Racing Derby (1x): We probably wouldn't have ridden this had the crowds not been so minimal as it really wasn't a priority going in, but I'm really glad we decided to make the stop to digest after dinner. This followed up nicely to Kennywood's "wtf?" restraint situation on the wood coasters and Kangaroo. It's been said before but I'll echo again... why does this ride not have any restraints? It's seriously worth a ride if you're not strapped for time and it had us just laughing the entire ride.

I can't say I've seen a restraint on a carousal-like ride, I'm not even sure how they would do that. And I agree, that ride is awesome and a you can't help but laugh the whole time.

Great report, once again! Looking forward to more from Cedar Point!
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ~Harlan Ellison

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:45 am

GCI Wooden wrote:
Password121 wrote:Cedar Downs Racing Derby (1x): We probably wouldn't have ridden this had the crowds not been so minimal as it really wasn't a priority going in, but I'm really glad we decided to make the stop to digest after dinner. This followed up nicely to Kennywood's "wtf?" restraint situation on the wood coasters and Kangaroo. It's been said before but I'll echo again... why does this ride not have any restraints? It's seriously worth a ride if you're not strapped for time and it had us just laughing the entire ride.

I can't say I've seen a restraint on a carousal-like ride, I'm not even sure how they would do that. And I agree, that ride is awesome and a you can't help but laugh the whole time.

the Sea Carousel at SeaWorld would NOT operate until *everyone* put on the little seat belts.

(and the operator walked around to make sure, and handed out extenders to the larger adults).

1st time I've ever seen that. . .

and great report so far Password. . been enjoying it.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby Password121 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:59 am

bert425 wrote:
GCI Wooden wrote:

the Sea Carousel at SeaWorld would NOT operate until *everyone* put on the little seat belts.

(and the operator walked around to make sure, and handed out extenders to the larger adults).

1st time I've ever seen that. . .

and great report so far Password. . been enjoying it.

For any normal carousel I would totally agree, any restraints are entirely unnecessary and if you can't sit on a fake horse for three minutes without falling off you shouldn't be riding.

But Cedar Downs Racing Derby isn't a normal carousel, and the added speed actually required a decent amount of body control to hold yourself firmly on the horse. I was actually really surprised how fast this old ride spins (nothing disorienting at all though, just fun).

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby LiftThrill » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:57 am

The Cedar Downs are amazing and hilarious and better than some of the coasters. Plus some of the horses look hilarious too.
1. Fury 325 | 2. Millennium Force | 3. New Texas Giant | 4. Outlaw Run | 5. Maverick | 6. Twisted Cyclone | 7. Iron Rattler | 8. The Voyage | 9. Goliath (SFGAm) | 10. Time Traveler

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:48 pm

Another great chapter! Can't wait for the next.
-Zach
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

Postby Password121 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:01 pm

PKI Jizzman wrote:Another great chapter! Can't wait for the next.
-Zach
You would've been reading it this very moment as I had the trip report and half the attraction reviews typed out ready to go, but I went for a quick run before finishing and I got back with my laptop in sleep mode and when I reopened my tabs all the text was gone. Yay.

I'll have day four up most likely tomorrow at some point. Thanks for reading.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!