Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports Land

Six Flags Fiesta Texas Part 2 Posted Finally!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Re: Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports

Postby hoppedup » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:48 am

Nice report! I'm hoping to get my dad down to Carowinds next year.

My daughter and I did a KD/BGW combo back in August. I hadn't been on a coaster in many, many years and didn't know LIM and LSM existed. So Volcano was quite the surprise! And probably still my favorite coaster at the moment.
Parks: 21 | Coasters: 142 | Wood: 39 | Steel: 102 | Fiberglass: 1

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:27 pm

Great report! It's cool your mom rides with you! I don't understand how my parents worked at Kings Island for years and aren't the least bit excited to go ride a ride with me :lol: The Bat scared the shit out of my mom and she refuses to go on another coaster, haha.
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:32 pm

She doesn't love the intense twists at the end of El Toro (though overall she loves the ride) and since she's pushing 60 (though you wouldn't know it) I was a bit worried about some of the abrupt transitions on those two coasters.

Glad to hear how much your mother loved I-305 and Volcano and that they didn't bother her in terms of transitions - I'm sure that she'll be good to go on coasters for at least another 10-15 years!

Michael has been on both of these coasters over the age of 70 and while he really liked Volcano, I-305 was a one and done for him because of its sheer intensity. But he can handle the bigger steel coasters better than something like Grizzly or Hurler which do (or in Hurler's case, did) tend to beat the crap out of you.

While I don't think that he may ever be able to do coasters again due to his aggressive surgery to remove bile duct cancer last year, we are still looking at possibly hitting Busch Gardens in Tampa (my 2nd favorite US park) on our way to Ft. Myers in a few weeks. He was excited to see all of the cool looking shows, lights and events listed on their website and said that he would wait and people watch while I satisfy my much-needed coaster fix.

And just like Brit - he's awesome like that! ;)

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:22 pm

Hilarious, but of course. I totally agree with Backlot Stunt Coaster and Flight of Fear being underrated, though I've only experienced the Kings Island versions. Both those are super fun rides that maybe don't blow your mind with intensity, but certainly provide a memorable experience. That's what people miss by just going to tick a box and count a credit. If you're in this hobby to actually have fun by experiencing rides, they're great.

Postby coasterbill » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:59 am

Thanks guys!!!

Canobie Coaster wrote:My sister's favorite coaster is Volcano as well. She loves just how unique the ride is. Despite the powerful launch, I don't think the transitions on that one are too wild.

It really is a ridiculously unique ride. I'm sort of spoiled since we get to ride it so often, but there's really nothing like it.

Dombot wrote:Awesome report as per usual. Your mom is f*cking awesome. :lol: :lol: :lol:

boldikus wrote:Haha I love this update! Having met your Mom and ridden a bunch with her I can assure everyone of her awesomeness. I love that she loved Volcano, its such a blast! :lol: The on-ride shots are really awesome.

hoppedup wrote:Nice report! I'm hoping to get my dad down to Carowinds next year.

PKI Jizzman wrote:Great report! It's cool your mom rides with you! I don't understand how my parents worked at Kings Island for years and aren't the least bit excited to go ride a ride with me :lol: The Bat scared the shit out of my mom and she refuses to go on another coaster, haha.

LOL! It's almost impossible to convince her to go to a park with us since she has a million things to do all the time, but whenever she actually does go she has a great time. At one point this year she actually went to Great Adventure without us with her husband (who's afraid of rides but is a great sport) so they could do the safari but before they left she ended up making him hold her sh*t so she could ride Nitro 11 times in a row. I guess that's where I get it from. :lol:

boldikus wrote:
Brit wanted her picture with the elephant and after going through the photos I came to the realization that not only did she take the same picture last year but apparently she loves to be a dick and wear a Knott's shirt whenever she goes to Kings Dominion. lol

And this is so hilarious I spit water all over my desk. Seriously.

:lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lol: That's awesome.

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Hilarious, but of course. I totally agree with Backlot Stunt Coaster and Flight of Fear being underrated, though I've only experienced the Kings Island versions. Both those are super fun rides that maybe don't blow your mind with intensity, but certainly provide a memorable experience. That's what people miss by just going to tick a box and count a credit. If you're in this hobby to actually have fun by experiencing rides, they're great.

Thanks! I'm glad someone else appreciates those rides. Especially Flight of Fear. Flight of Fear is legit.

Philrad71 wrote:Glad to hear how much your mother loved I-305 and Volcano and that they didn't bother her in terms of transitions - I'm sure that she'll be good to go on coasters for at least another 10-15 years!

Yeah, I'm impressed but I think it's awesome. Since we made her buy the Platinum Pass so she could tag along on one of our Cedar Point trips next year I was thrilled that she liked I305 since the transitions are pretty similar to the ones on Maverick. I wasn't sure how she's like that ride, but I'm feeling a little more confident now.

Philrad71 wrote:And just like Brit - he's awesome like that! ;)

Sounds like it! You've got yourself a keeper. lol

Postby prozach626 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:33 pm

I'm a little late to the party, but this was another stellar TR, as completely expected. It's great that your 60 year old mother is tagging along, but being a huge hotel snob, I think you're crazy for not taking your mom up on her offers for you guys to stay with her.

Your outlook on coasters is exactly how it needs to be. A fun roller coaster is a fun roller coaster, period. I don't understand why people over analyze every roller coaster they ride and feel the need to rate and rank them so meticulously. Granted there are some roller coasters I don't enjoy and other roller coasters I enjoy less than others. However, your main objective seems to be relaxing and having a great time, while appreciating each ride for what it offers. I share that philosophy. I think it's shared among a lot of people who share this interest long term. Tastes begin to mature and objectives change from needing to marathon the biggest and baddest coasters to trying to make the best out of every moment in the park. I chalk my the new appreciation for Screamin' Eagle that Emily and I share up to our evolution and changed expectations for this hobby.

Sounds like you had a hell of a bath on the flume. We loaded four people into the flume at KI for the first time, since we never have guests, and got soaked. It was a hell of a learning curve for a cold October day... Wrapping up with Dominator was a good move. You don't hear many people, even the people who over analyze, who give much negative criticism to Dominator. It's a solid ride.

Great TR.

Postby coasterbill » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:17 am

^ Thanks!

prozach626 wrote:Your outlook on coasters is exactly how it needs to be. A fun roller coaster is a fun roller coaster, period. I don't understand why people over analyze every roller coaster they ride and feel the need to rate and rank them so meticulously. Granted there are some roller coasters I don't enjoy and other roller coasters I enjoy less than others. However, your main objective seems to be relaxing and having a great time, while appreciating each ride for what it offers. I share that philosophy. I think it's shared among a lot of people who share this interest long term. Tastes begin to mature and objectives change from needing to marathon the biggest and baddest coasters to trying to make the best out of every moment in the park. I chalk my the new appreciation for Screamin' Eagle that Emily and I share up to our evolution and changed expectations for this hobby.

Absolutely! Like you said, there are plenty of people who insist on bitching about every problem with every coaster or ranking them on the spot and I never got that. I've met people who rode a coaster and then started a discussion about where it should be on their rankings while they were on the brake run, I've seen people (some of them actually made their way onto my Facebook page but they're gone now) correcting me when I made a post that we enjoyed a ride when we just rode it on our vacation (I think it was Mine Blower) where they felt the need to explain that the turns were "poorly engineered".

What? Who cares? Shut up. :lol:

prozach626 wrote:We loaded four people into the flume at KI for the first time, since we never have guests, and got soaked. It was a hell of a learning curve for a cold October day

Oh god. I always get soaked on that flume even with 2 people in the log. I couldn't imagine putting 4 people in it. :lol:

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby CoasterAuditor » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:20 am

I agree 100% with the logic of roller coasters should be "just fun." There's no need to compare them all constantly. Maybe if you're bored one day and have a ton of free time it can be kinda interesting to think about but there's no need to be thinking about how much better you think Afterburn is than Alpengeist when you're at Busch Gardens. Just ride Alpengiest and have fun.

I had one person say when I listed off Kings Dominions 5 best coasters next year that "Flight of Fear was a weak fifth coaster." How? Why would you consider a fun indoor launched coaster that's intense and claustrophobic "weak?" I just think it's really fun.
I'm an accountant that's obsessed with roller coasters
Knoebels > Everywhere

1. El Toro 2. Intimidator 305 3. Phoenix 4. Millennium Force 5. New Texas Giant

118 Coasters
16 Parks

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:16 pm

I completely agree with both of the posters above. When I was at Kings Dominion last summer, this coaster enthusiast in line behind me at Intimidator 305 was trying to convince me that Skyrush was so much better (and I will admit that I prefer Skyrush), but I was just like, dude, you’re about to ride one of the greatest roller coasters in the country, just enjoy it.

And don’t even get me started on these 12-year-old roller coaster Instagrammers who constantly rate everything and take the hobby so seriously.

Back on topic, awesome report(s) Bill! So entertaining to read.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby TBpony414 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:37 pm

I'm thrilled to hear how much your mom loved Volcano!! It's one of my favorites and never gets old for me. It's fast, smooth, you shoot out a freaking volcano, and the short length doesn't bother me. The ride is a blast! (Sorry, couldn't resist) Does Outer Limits have the exact same layout as Joker's Jinx? Or is it mostly the same but kinda different? I've always had great rides on Jinx but for some reason my rides on FoF never seem as good. Perhaps it's the darkness wreaking havoc on my stupid brain making me sick? Not sure. Drop Zone is a kick ass drop tower and has been down on my last few visits so I'm happy it was working for you guys!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!