Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports Land

Six Flags Fiesta Texas Part 2 Posted Finally!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Re: Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports

Postby CaptainUnknown » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:46 pm

coasterbill wrote:... anyway, since this is TPR I know I've now lost 95% of you so I guess we should move on to SeaWorld and stop talking about the car. Alright, alright... fine. :lol:

And they're all a$$holes for skipping over such genius storytelling.
Take a Journey Into The Unknown Latest Update: Locked in the Land of Oz

Parks: 23
Coasters: 130 (24 wood/106 steel)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:50 am

RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:That song is the utter worst when you're stuck in the exit listening to it for over an hour because it's pouring rain and the lightning is too close to go anywhere else. Bonus: you're in charge of 15 middle-schoolers.

:lol: I should probably clarify that yeah, the "pop version" they play on the exit ramp sucks hard. The one in the movie though? Right in the feels.

Philrad71 wrote:Very immersive trip report, Bill. How you and Bert remember so much detailed sh%t from your trips amazes me. I would need to bring a journal with me if I wanted to remember that much from a trip. :lmao:

In fact, I have a hard time remembering a lot of details anymore. That'll come later when your brain is a haze maze from all the excessive partying over the years...it's all good though. :lol:

I'm sort of the same way, but looking at the photos after the fact and the order in which they were taken helps me a ton. Now that I actually remember that I'll end up writing a trip report and I should probably remember to take f*cking pictures there's more to work with and it's getting a little easier. :lol:

CaptainUnknown wrote:
coasterbill wrote:... anyway, since this is TPR I know I've now lost 95% of you so I guess we should move on to SeaWorld and stop talking about the car. Alright, alright... fine. :lol:

And they're all a$$holes for skipping over such genius storytelling.

Thanks! I appreciate that a lot. =)

anonymouscactus wrote:Top 3 Reasons the Antarctica Ride goes down so much:
- #3: it decides to stop for no reason whatsoever. A spec of dust hits a sensor. A piece of hair flys off a balding man. A penguin takes a shit too powerfully.
- #2: Employee doesn't know how to shut the ride vehicle door properly, door clicks open ever so slightly and e-stops the ride
- #1 and usually the case: little kid starts crying so the parent pulls kid out of their seat and puts on lap. Operator who sees this must stop the ride. Single ride vehicle needs to be evacuated with the fun stairs.

Also, once the ride stops the vehicles glide to a stop and are no longer in proper position to start again. Every individual ride vehicle on the floor needs to be reset, one by one, to a "sync point" from an exact position in which the ride can restart and match with theatrical and the ride path. This takes forever.

That's the short answer.

It actually rides much more reliably than opening year and it was reprogrammed a few times by oceaneering. Opening day was a fun day... guess who was supervising the outside crowd with a 6 hour wait around the sea lion area with a break down every 20 minutes... oh by the way if you wanted to see the sea lions you can't unless you want to enter the queue and wait about 2 hours to get to that portion... oh by the way the ride only soft opened 1 night before Grand opening memorial day weekend and we only got hands on training 2 days before... oh by the way the ride is terrible.

God, that's a crazy story. Thanks for the background info, it made for an enjoyable read. I'd have been pissed if I couldn't see the Sea Lions without standing in a 2 hour line just to get to Pacific Point. :lol:

I have a crazy confession to make. It's been so long since I actually managed to ride that thing without bailing into the non rider line because of a breakdown or an absurdly long queue time that I forgot it even had a trackless ride system. That ride is the biggest waste of an amazing technology I've ever seen. There's nothing on the ride that was made better because of the trackless ride system. If it used a standard dark ride system it would have been just as good (or terrible in this ride's case) and I'd imagine that with the money they saved by not getting this ridiculously over-complicated ride system that the ride doesn't make use of at all they could have spent some money making the ride better. Seriously, if the ride was going to do something unexpected, take an unexpected turn, interact with the other cars or do something cool like that I'd understand the trackless system but the ride doesn't do any of those things. Why make it trackless?

And that's crazy that the ride vehicles don't follow the pre-set path when someone hits e-stop. What's the point of that? I guess it makes a more controlled, less jarring stop but it's not like the ride does anything aggressive or interesting to begin with. From an outsiders perspective it seems like more trouble than it's worth.

anonymouscactus wrote:Thanks for being an EVERRYYYDAAYY HEERROOO!

:lol: You're welcome.

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:15 am

Philrad71 wrote:Very immersive trip report, Bill. How you and Bert remember so much detailed sh%t from your trips amazes me. I would need to bring a journal with me if I wanted to remember that much from a trip. :lmao:

In fact, I have a hard time remembering a lot of details anymore. That'll come later when your brain is a haze maze from all the excessive partying over the years...it's all good though. :lol:

Glad I'm not the only one! I usually remember the general order of things shortly after my trip but usually don't bother detailing it out because who really cares what exact order I rode the coasters and how many times I rode each? I might remember one or two interesting stories from the day but not near the level of Bill. I'm only 26 and I guess my memory has already taken a hit from drinking. :(
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:20 am

Another awesome update. Can't wait for Busch and to experience these parks for myself so soon!

coasterbill wrote:

I'm sort of the same way, but looking at the photos after the fact and the order in which they were taken helps me a ton. Now that I actually remember that I'll end up writing a trip report and I should probably remember to take f*cking pictures there's more to work with and it's getting a little easier. :lol:

I'm surprised you didn't point out my nerd habit of keeping a running list in my phone of the order of the rides we've done. :lol: Photos help me too for sure, but its to the point where I need to keep a list or otherwise the day becomes nothing but a blur of beer and fun.

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:27 am

boldikus wrote:Another awesome update. Can't wait for Busch and to experience these parks for myself so soon!

coasterbill wrote:

I'm surprised you didn't point out my nerd habit of keeping a running list in my phone of the order of the rides we've done. :lol: Photos help me too for sure, but its to the point where I need to keep a list or otherwise the day becomes nothing but a blur of beer and fun.

Didn't see Bill's response until now but the photo order does help me a lot, and I also have started to keep a list on my phone as well. I've been trying to keep up with the actual number of times I ride each coaster and log those numbers into my spreadsheet. :oops:
I know, I know. It's super nerdy and doesn't get me any real life cred except to satisfy my own curiosity.

Sorry to post again on the topic like right after I already posted. :p
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby TBpony414 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:03 am

RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:
boldikus wrote:

Didn't see Bill's response until now but the photo order does help me a lot, and I also have started to keep a list on my phone as well. I've been trying to keep up with the actual number of times I ride each coaster and log those numbers into my spreadsheet. I know, I know. It's super nerdy and doesn't get me any real life cred except to satisfy my own curiosity.

I've always kept a list on my phone of the rides/shows/etc. done at theme parks but I don't do anything exciting with it except share it with people like Bert to help with his TR, or read it out to my mother who when traveling to parks with me does a very detailed journal entry every evening of what we did that day. Usually I delete it but for some reason I kept the one from CP 2016 on my phone so it was fun to compare what and how many rides we did there in 2017 vs 2016.

Rawkin, what do you do with the spreadsheet? (I'll admit I chuckled at that!) Do you tally it up at the end of the year or does it have several years worth of ride counts on a single sheet? Tell us more!

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby anonymouscactus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:16 pm

coasterbill wrote: I forgot it even had a trackless ride system. That ride is the biggest waste of an amazing technology I've ever seen. There's nothing on the ride that was made better because of the trackless ride system. If it used a standard dark ride system it would have been just as good (or terrible in this ride's case) and I'd imagine that with the money they saved by not getting this ridiculously over-complicated ride system that the ride doesn't make use of at all they could have spent some money making the ride better. Seriously, if the ride was going to do something unexpected, take an unexpected turn, interact with the other cars or do something cool like that I'd understand the trackless system but the ride doesn't do any of those things. Why make it trackless?

And that's crazy that the ride vehicles don't follow the pre-set path when someone hits e-stop. What's the point of that? I guess it makes a more controlled, less jarring stop but it's not like the ride does anything aggressive or interesting to begin with. From an outsiders perspective it seems like more trouble than it's worth.

It really *is* amazing technology. I was in the room while they were programming and tweaking for months before opening. The ride is such a waste, though. The work they have to put into it is astonishing, but as you said, SeaWorld didn't want to use it to ANY of it's potential. They cut several rooms out of the building last minute, too, cutting the ride even shorter. I could go on, but I'll leave it for another time :-p

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:13 pm

Awesome report! You guys do a lot of cool upgrades, and that orca encounter looks amazing. I'm a big fan of penguins, and it's cool to see they allow you to get so close. The St. Louis Zoo has a penguin encounter that close as well, and we always enjoy that. And a f*cking Camaro for an economy price? You are lucky as sh*t.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby cparkes92 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:50 pm

I hadn't been on TPR in over a month now and I decided that this would be the first thread I would check. Bravo, Bill!
Top 10 steel: Steel Vengeance, Millennium Force, Maverick, Mako, Incredible Hulk, Banshee, Diamondback, Raptor, SheiKra, Montu
Top 10 wood: Mystic Timbers, Shivering Timbers, Beast, Racer (KI), Viper, American Eagle, Woodstock Express, Blue Streak (CP), Mean Streak (RIP), Wolverine Wildcat

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:35 am

TBpony414 wrote:
RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:
boldikus wrote:

Didn't see Bill's response until now but the photo order does help me a lot, and I also have started to keep a list on my phone as well. I've been trying to keep up with the actual number of times I ride each coaster and log those numbers into my spreadsheet. I know, I know. It's super nerdy and doesn't get me any real life cred except to satisfy my own curiosity.

Rawkin, what do you do with the spreadsheet? (I'll admit I chuckled at that!) Do you tally it up at the end of the year or does it have several years worth of ride counts on a single sheet? Tell us more!

It's my "Official Coaster Count" spreadsheet! I also enter in coaster stats from RCDB (when I'm not lazy and behind like I am now). It would be cool if I could figure out a way for it to tally like how many B&M coasters I've been on, how many woodies (I only know that from Coastercounter), etc. It's all for my own benefit to keep track of what I've ridden in what order and (hopefully) how many times on each (until it gets past a certain point and I give up).

I've always been intrigued with people who can say "I've been on __ coaster X amount of times!" (Have you seen Skyrush girl?!?) but there's no way for me to know without guessing which coasters I've ridden the most unless I keep track. It would also be cool if I could get the spreadsheet to have a side bar of my top 10 most ridden coasters, but I'm not that talented with Numbers yet. Maybe someday?

Admittedly, I don't know if all the numbers are correct, especially for parks I have visited very often since I decided to do this. But I figure it's worth a try.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!