Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports Land

Busch Gardens San Antonio Part 1
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports

Postby michaellynn4 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:22 pm

If you're ever back in Chicago, make sure to hit up the South Side joint Vito and Nicks. It's essentially the antithesis to typical Chicago-style pizza. It may be more up your alley.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:50 pm

<on reading Vito & Nick's menu>

"All you can eat....smelts?"

That's an interesting menu offer.
smelts.jpg
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:41 am

Oh my god I could not agree more about the deep dish pizza. When I was in Chicago about a month ago, my friends and I went to the Giordano's downtown location, waited an hour and a half (45 minutes for our table, 45 for our pizzas to be made), and then had to eat the huge disappointment that is deep dish pizza.

It's like if somebody made a giant cinnamon bun but put pizza sauce and cheese on it instead of cinnamon and frosting. It's just too doughy and so wrong.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:14 am

Woof, a Giordanos at Wrigley? You're brave, haha. I can't imagine how they re-heat/make them to serve at the park. No way in hell that could have been good. Sox stadium is known for food but outside of dogs and popcorn Wrigley isn't trusted.

Those lines to visit the Signature Room/Hancock or Skydeck/Sears can be insane. Don't feel too bad about missing out. Just go to the Signature Room next time where the admission price is buying a drink at the bar vs paying whatever they charge tourists to stand and dodge selfies literally one floor up.
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby DavidB » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:53 am

I'm going to throw out a recommendation for Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder. You'll probably have to wait for a bit, the options are kinda limited, and they only take cash. It's somewhat different, cooked in a bowl with the bread on top, then they flip it over to make a bread bowl kinda deal when they serve it to you. Damn is it good.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:06 am

I'm glad you guys had a fun time. I look forward to your CP TR.

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby TBpony414 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:06 pm

That pic of you double fisting beer on the plane is classic! I've never been to Chicago so it's great to get a glimpse of it. I love aquariums as well and those white sided MJ dolphins they had look super cool. We stopped at Adventure Aquarium in Camden, NJ on the way home from Philly earlier this year and it was surprisingly outstanding. Lots of cool demos, keepers roaming around with animals, great displays, interesting animals, extremely clean inside and a great food court with a real deal Icee machine. The only thing that was a letdown was their 3D theatre - skip that. Looking forward to CP!

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:45 pm

Awesome man! Shedd is the best aquarium anywhere, knew you couldn't pass that up. I've been to Wrigley and Fenway, and both are absolutely amazing experiences.

Chicago deep dish is an abomination. I know that may be anathema for a Midwesterner, but I really do like New York style better. You gotta try St. Louis style though when you do eventually come to Missouri. It's thin crust, topping heavy, and awesome. Imo's is the quintessential St. Louis chain. You may or may not like it, but it's everything Chicago style isn't.

Hancock tower is okay if you've never been in a tall building, but I thought the water tower was a better experience. Then again, I'm way more into history than you are. Good move on not spending half a day there.

Postby coasterbill » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:00 am

As always, thanks for reading and commenting guys! You're awesome!

Canobie Coaster wrote:I was there on a cold winter day for software training and took the opportunity to go atop the Willis Tower. The queue for the building was massive, but I think the weather kept everyone away as it was a walk-on and I had the entire top deck to myself. Those glass Skywalk booths were really terrifying and awesome. The views even on a slightly overcast day were breathtaking.

It's funny you say that. Since I live in New York I avoid a lot of the New York tourist traps like the plague. I'd rather die than walk through Times Square and I generally avoid the Empire State Building but if I'm ever there on a cold winter night we usually end up going up there. Yes, it's cold but cold air means amazing visibility and night time + cold air means no lines. It's great. We took the in-laws up there once on a cold winter night and Brit and I were loving it but they're from the south and I think they almost froze to death, at one point we turned around and saw them huddled together reenacting the floating door scene from Titanic :lol: . Then again, aren't the Chicago observation decks enclosed? Why would cold scare people away?

PKI Jizzman wrote:Woof, a Giordanos at Wrigley? You're brave, haha. I can't imagine how they re-heat/make them to serve at the park. No way in hell that could have been good. Sox stadium is known for food but outside of dogs and popcorn Wrigley isn't trusted.

Honestly it tasted really fresh (I know the cheese was) and they had ovens right there. I'm sure it would have been marginally better elsewhere but it was convenient and we were short on time. I get the idea that I probably wouldn't have been a fan no matter what. Ten years ago I probably would have been, but I no longer have any tolerance for greasy food and that was some greasy a** pizza. It's sad really... f*ck I'm old. :lol:

PKI Jizzman wrote:Just go to the Signature Room next time where the admission price is buying a drink at the bar vs paying whatever they charge tourists to stand and dodge selfies literally one floor up.

Sh*t! I wish I knew about this. Oh well, next time I guess. Thanks for the tip!

Canobie Coaster wrote:Deep Dish seems to be a love it or hate it thing. There really doesn't seem to be an in-between (except with the chain Unos, which isn't like the real thing).

xVicesAndVirtues wrote:Oh my god I could not agree more about the deep dish pizza.

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Chicago deep dish is an abomination.

Glad it's not just me. lol

DavidB wrote:cooked in a bowl with the bread on top, then they flip it over to make a bread bowl kinda deal when they serve it to you.

Sounds interesting. Maybe I'll give it a shot. though...

michaellynn4 wrote:If you're ever back in Chicago, make sure to hit up the South Side joint Vito and Nicks. It's essentially the antithesis to typical Chicago-style pizza. It may be more up your alley.

THIS sounds more my speed. :lol:
I don't want to be the guy that goes to Chicago to eat New York style pizza, but I might have to be. lol

TBpony414 wrote:We stopped at Adventure Aquarium in Camden, NJ on the way home from Philly earlier this year and it was surprisingly outstanding. Lots of cool demos, keepers roaming around with animals, great displays, interesting animals, extremely clean inside and a great food court with a real deal Icee machine.

lol Boldikus was just telling me about this place yesterday. It's on our radar for sure!

boldikus wrote:Awesome update! Can't wait for the next one!

prozach626 wrote:I'm glad you guys had a fun time. I look forward to your CP TR.

Thanks as always guys!

Postby viking86 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:14 am

I have zero interest in baseball, but I have a thing for classic old stadiums, regardless of what sports they are being used for. So I love the pictures from Wrigley Field, particularly the one with the catwalks leading to the upper tier. Yes, it may not have the comfort factor of a new build, but it just oozes character and charm and I'd take that any day over a soulless new concrete bowl!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!