I went to the Puyallup Spring Fair!

Photo TR
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby LuminousAphid » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:54 pm

P9140124.JPG
Classic Coaster, previously known as Coaster Thrill Ride

Hey, I just heard on the radio that the spring fair is here already, and I miraculously have Saturday off! I loved The Fair last year, they had a pretty solid ride selection and their wood coaster is the coaster equivalent of a sleeper- looks mellow and innocent, but turns out to be a pretty badass little ride! It's got some pretty great airtime and really fun laterals in a couple of spots, and it can run 3 TRAINS! Not bad at all for a little 60ft guy, and much more thrilling than the 20' taller Timberhawk, the only other wood coaster currently operating in WA. Looks like they should have their Schwarzkopf Wild Cat and they also have Rainier Rush and plenty of other rides to get sick on. The downside if they don't seem to have an unlimited bracelet, but look on the bright side; waiting in lines will make your tickets last that much longer

I will be going if the weather cooperates (and if so it will probably be packed) and posting a TR- who wants to come with me!? I randomly got this Saturday off, and I usually work weekends, so this must be a sign from the coaster gods! :airtime:

http://www.thefair.com/fun/details/midway-rides_1
Last edited by LuminousAphid on Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:46 am.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Re: Puyallup Spring Fair

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:00 pm

I did not know they were running a Spring Fair! When did they start doing this?

But - sadly, I won't be able to make it down this coming weekend. Timing and $.
And too bad people can't time it along with Playland up here. It's not opening
until May 7. Nonetheless...

Hope you have a great time there, if you go. :)
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby LuminousAphid » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:56 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:Hope you have a great time there, if you go. :)

I will, thanks! I know you love your fairs, wish you could make it. I want to really try getting up to the PNE this year, I got my EDL so I can actually come to Canada now!

For Saturday I'm gonna buy the pre-order tickets which apparently come with some sort of "ride coupon" $17 for 6 rides, doesn't count the Coaster or drop tower but still a better deal than using tickets if I end up wanting to ride anything else. I will most likely just get 120 tickets and ride the coaster 10 times :lmao:

$5 is still quite a price to pay for a ride on a coaster, but worth it!

11036446_10104496584954608_263472420941139390_o.jpg
Remodel finished last year!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:05 pm

^ $5 isn't too bad, when you consider how prices go up on everything else in life, pretty fast.

I believe riding Coaster during the PNE goes for about $8-10 a ride. But for you guys now... $6?
And you are able to buy separate tickets for that. They have the ride pass as well, but I
never go for that, since I can ride most of this stuff during Playland's upcoming season (May 7 start).

And during the PNE I only ride anything that is truly different. Or a cheesy carnival dark ride. :lover:

When the fair gets closer, plan your day and I can meet up with you, for your visit. I am now getting
the full Fair Season Pass, which is worth it for all the stuff they offer. And it's my current "best thing",
compared to any season pass for a theme park, etc. And you usually get a coupon book as well, which
gives several discounts on food and games and stuff ~ no ride discounts unfortunately. :sad:

P.S. The PNE also has discount Passes, sold through sponsors like 7-11 for it's one day entry, or a
one day entry with a rides pass combined. Let me know your day, I can buy the Pass for you, we meet
up at the Main Gate, and you pay me back. Easy! :smile: P.P.S. There are also passes available for Playland
as well. Same thing, let me know, and I can get you a Pass, that's cheaper than at the Gate, or online!

http://www.pne.ca

Postby LuminousAphid » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:39 pm

Yeah, I think I will head up sometime before the PNE to familiarize myself with the area, and figure out what to do for parking and everything. I think I remember you use transit, which is smart, but I might ask you later for some tips on driving/parking in the area

I bought my discount ticket for the spring fair today, and it comes with the 6 for $17 "coupon," which I might use if I feel like some spin'n'pukes. Since I don't get to go to theme parks this time of year at all, I'm putting aside $100 to spend at the fair, and since they have free parking (and I found free street parking 4-5 blocks away during the summer, closer to the rides!), that should get me a decent amount of rides and food. I'm going to gorge myself this time. Last year I was just so into rides I basically rode all day, with breaks to go look at flowers and found one of my other hobbies, carnivorous plants.

P9140175.JPG
Here is the one I found at the fair- pretty impressive cluster of sundews

P4101119levels.JPG
I think I will enter one of these into the fair this summer- my seed-grown Drosera capensis

I think this time I will take plenty of breaks and eat lots of food while looking at exhibits, and get the full fair experience. Hope they are running more than 1 train on the coaster; last summer when I was there on a Sunday for some reason they were running ~30 minute lines with one train? Saturday should be packed so I am expecting lines but I want to see them run all 3 trains :lover: The ride ops were just the right amount of carny-weird for a fairground coaster, and the lady who was assigning people seats eventually just knew me when I came back and always put me in the back car :airtimer: Also, true single-position "lap" bars riding about 8" above your legs make for some great out-of-control sensations

P9140320.JPG
Safety measures were non-existent compared to today's rides

I'm getting myself excited and I need to go to bed to work at 6:00 tomorrow, but stay tuned for a trip report with plenty of photos!

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby djcoastermark » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:53 pm

Can't wait for the report. That coaster looks like one heck of a blast!

Postby LuminousAphid » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:35 am

Photo TR - Part 1 - Journey to the south & Welcome to the fair

I have been feeling just "off" since the morning after I raved about how fun this was going to be, sick stomach and trouble sleeping well, so I was starting to wonder if I cursed myself by getting myself psyched up on my last post. Either way I forced myself out of bed this morning, ate and showered, then took off to go to the fair. There was of course traffic on the way through Seattle; lucky for me spring is wonderful here, particularly this year when we have had perfect conditions for everything to just start growing like mad, while the rest of the country is getting god knows what. I try to keep this a secret and perpetuate the rumor that Seattle is super depressing and rainy, but this area is the best.

P4161133lvls.JPG
Why?

P4161136lvls.JPG
Looks gray but mainly due to car windows

P4161142lvls.JPG
Mythical Pizzamobile spotted!

When I got there I again found parking within 2 blocks of the "Red" entrance which is where all the rides are, but unfortunately that means everything else I might want to see is further away. I passed a house with an extremely nice yard, it was the best themeing I saw all day!

P4161148lvls.JPG
Better themeing than the actual fair

The "Puyallup Spring Fair" only runs 1 weekend each year, typically in mid April, and is the only time of the year other than the Washington State Fair in September when guests are able to ride their Classic Coaster, Schwarzkopf Wildcat, and Extreme Scream- I think it's an S&S Combo Tower judging by the "Combo Ride" plaque on one of the truss beams. I guess this will be the bigger, older brother to the Double Shot that's supposedly going in up the road at Wild Waves this year

I got inside and went to get $50 worth of tickets, which almost lasted me all day. There was also a better deal for 250 tickets not listed online if your family wanted to get more rides in.

P4161158lvls.JPG
Tickets: to trick you out of your $$

P4161157lvls.JPG
I watched the Round Up while waiting for tickets

I quickly headed over to Classic Coaster for 2 rides without much of a line; I was a bit disappointed in those first rides, so I guess my memory had hyped it up over the months. It didn't help that the back seat lap bar was ziptied closed and they weren't using it on either train, because that's the best seat! I think having a little less weight made it a little more tame.

P4161159lvls.JPG
WA's best coaster

There were a few other rides of interest along the way down the midway, and I snapped some pics as I tried to decide what I wanted to do next

P4161162lvls.JPG
Haunted Mansion for Nrthwnd

P4161174lvls.JPG
My first Schwarzkopf that I know of, a Wildcat

P4161177lvls.JPG
Rainier Rush, the Top Fun Typhoon that I will never ride again. There's a joke behind this coaster...

P4161175.JPG
The punchline is that everyone pays $6 to get beat about the head and neck for 30 seconds, and it has a longer line than Classic Coaster

And I tried some things that were disappointing

P4161167.JPG
Mobile farm sounds sweet, lets check this out

P4161172.JPG
Well... not as cool as I was expecting

I also ran into some things that were funny

P4161277.JPG
I found God...

And then I found lunch!

P4161278.JPG
This place looks snazzy indeed

P4161279.JPG
It looks promising!

This fish and chips looked very good, but sadly it was not very hot (barely warm) by the time I got it, but I didn't want to complain- looked like it was cooked through at some point, so I wasn't worried. I just ate the fish quick while some warmth was left, and with their home made tartar and fry sauce it was pretty tasty. The fries were nice and hot!

P4161283.JPG
Full of fried fish I was

With the lunch break I will also take my break and end part 1, but stay tuned for more photos and fun from the fair. Don't forget Sunday is the last day, so if I've inspired you, today is your only chance!

I will leave you with a preview of the next part, with video I made for a certain user up north of me. It's pretty bad, both the video and the ride, but enjoy buddy!

P4160085smlvls.JPG
Not quite a Disney Haunted Mansion

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Re: I went to the Puyallup Spring Fair!

Postby Jew » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:45 am

At least you only had to pay $6 to ride that terrible coaster. Some of us on here may or may not have been guilty of paying a lot more to ride this when it was still at Satan's Village... :lol:

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:55 am

Not quite a Disney Haunted Mansion

At least most of the gags worked.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:26 pm

Yay, Carnival Haunted Mansion! :b :br

That actually looked pretty good, as cheesy as it all usually is.
Lot of sound effects in there, I heard. Mostly screams but that's ok.

Glad you are enjoying yourself there, and thanks for all the photos,
AND the POV inside the HM! :smile: Looking forward to Part 2...
Last edited by Nrthwnd on Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:39 pm.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!