Cedar point winter tour 2016

A peek at the park in the offseason.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
What I do and who I am

Re: Cedar point winter tour 2016

Postby pianojohn » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:22 am

When I played piano at CP 1986-90, they held all of the employee events in the ballroom like dances and bingo.

I thought I heard that they don't or can't use it much in the summer since the building is an historic landmark and doesn't have air conditioning. And if they were to install it, the building would lose its landmark status.

It is a great room. The Live Entertainment offices are at the far end of it (opposite the front windows) and we rehearsed all of the shows there.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillrider » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:47 pm

pianojohn wrote:When I played piano at CP 1986-90, they held all of the employee events in the ballroom like dances and bingo.

I thought I heard that they don't or can't use it much in the summer since the building is an historic landmark and doesn't have air conditioning. And if they were to install it, the building would lose its landmark status.

It is a great room. The Live Entertainment offices are at the far end of it (opposite the front windows) and we rehearsed all of the shows there.

I agree, I wish there was more hey could do with it as it has a lot of potential. If you don't mind me asking, what show did you play in at cedarpoint?
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

What I do and who I am

Postby pianojohn » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:02 pm

thrillrider wrote:
pianojohn wrote:When I played piano at CP 1986-90, they held all of the employee events in the ballroom like dances and bingo.

I agree, I wish there was more hey could do with it as it has a lot of potential. If you don't mind me asking, what show did you play in at cedarpoint?

Ain't We Got Fun 1986, 1987, Country Sunshine 1988 and 1990, and Jumpin' at the Jukebox in 1989. This year marks my 30th year doing theme park shows! Went from CP to Busch Gardens VA and then down to Orlando where I have been at Walt Disney World for 17 years.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby The Great Zo » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:49 pm

Is the ballroom sometimes closed up? When I was at the park in 2013 doing some photography, I walked right up the stairs and in during the middle of the operating day. There were a couple other park guests in there at the time as well. It's a really cool room, and definitely a bit of a time warp!
-- Andy
Trip Reports: 2013 BG/KD -- 2013 TPR -- 2014 KI -- 2014 TPR -- 2015 TPR
Trip Reports: 2015 CP -- 2017 FL -- 2017 CP -- 2017 TPR -- 2018 FC -- 2018 CA

Postby thrillrider » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:34 pm

I think the doors are always open because of the wardrobe dept being up there.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Postby thrillrider » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:14 am

pianojohn wrote:
thrillrider wrote:

Ain't We Got Fun 1986, 1987, Country Sunshine 1988 and 1990, and Jumpin' at the Jukebox in 1989. This year marks my 30th year doing theme park shows! Went from CP to Busch Gardens VA and then down to Orlando where I have been at Walt Disney World for 17 years.

Very cool!

We will be down in Orlando this July. What show are you in at Disney?
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby PhantomNick » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:42 pm

Very awesome photos (as per usual with your trip reports!), thanks so much for sharing them! It looks like a great event, and it had to feel a little weird being at a "winter tour" when temps were warm enough to want to hop aboard their coasters! ;)

I like some of those perks that were announced, including that sunrise VIP tour. That'd be awesome to climb Valravn's lift and get some killer photos from that perch!

Just curious, did they mention anything in regards to Valravn's Media Day? I by no means expect them to repeat what was done for GateKeeper's in 2013 where they opened it up to coaster enthusiasts, but I'd be thrilled to go if they did! That was such a wonderful (though unnecessary) gesture by the park for that year, but I have a sad feeling that some of the folks who give our hobby a bad name probably complained about aspects of it (I hate people like that, for the record!). Again, just curious more than anything else.
I would rather be off riding coasters!

Steel Top 5 - (1) Steel Vengeance (2) Skyrush (3) Fury 325 (4) Millennium Force (5-tie) Phantom's Revenge (5-tie) Maverick
Wood Top 5 - (1) El Toro (2) Phoenix (3) Voyage (4) Ravine Flyer II (5) Shivering Timbers

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby TBpony414 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:43 pm

Thanks for posting your really thorough and interesting WCO pics! I never thought about what parks do with their rides during the off season - take off all the cars, wrap up certain rides, that sort of thing. Neat to see. Good catch on the potential Christmas clues! Hmmm.....

Postby thrillrider » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:32 pm

PhantomNick wrote:Very awesome photos (as per usual with your trip reports!), thanks so much for sharing them! It looks like a great event, and it had to feel a little weird being at a "winter tour" when temps were warm enough to want to hop aboard their coasters! ;)

I like some of those perks that were announced, including that sunrise VIP tour. That'd be awesome to climb Valravn's lift and get some killer photos from that perch!

Just curious, did they mention anything in regards to Valravn's Media Day? I by no means expect them to repeat what was done for GateKeeper's in 2013 where they opened it up to coaster enthusiasts, but I'd be thrilled to go if they did! That was such a wonderful (though unnecessary) gesture by the park for that year, but I have a sad feeling that some of the folks who give our hobby a bad name probably complained about aspects of it (I hate people like that, for the record!). Again, just curious more than anything else.

Thank you.

They are going to have a preview day that is also doubling as a charity event. The date has been announced, but I can't remember the exact date other than it being on a Thursday.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Postby thrillrider » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:37 am

TBpony414 wrote:Thanks for posting your really thorough and interesting WCO pics! I never thought about what parks do with their rides during the off season - take off all the cars, wrap up certain rides, that sort of thing. Neat to see. Good catch on the potential Christmas clues! Hmmm.....

Thank you!
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!