P:TR Wildlife World Zoo, Safari, Aquarium...and Rides!

New Chance Coaster Open! POV Inside!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
The Pony Express can't find my teepee

P:TR Wildlife World Zoo, Safari, Aquarium...and Rides!

Postby chadster » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:55 pm

So I was chatting with Garbles last week when he mentioned the new Chance coaster was opening at Wildlife Zoo. One thing led to another and I joined him on a journey to Phoenix. Now I know what some of you are already thinking, that we just went to ride the kiddie coaster, and while that did play a factor in our decision, the reality is we both like zoos, so it was the best of both worlds.

The new coaster and flat rides are positioned perfectly along the highway to catch the eye of those passing by. We elected to enter through what I assume is the original entrance (parking is free by the way) and immediately noticed an abundance of birds, Macaws in fact. I don't terribly mind them and rather enjoy photographing them. I guess you could call them the official zoo ambassadors.

So off we went to the back of the zoo down crushed stone paths to the newest area where we eventually found the family coaster awaiting and llamas roaming underneath awaiting our arrival. $6 will get you two laps, cash only.

The zoo itself is quite large and features an aquarium, stingray feeding (those guys act like they never get fed!), penguin feedings, and several rides including a log flume, sky ride, river boat ride, train, and of course the new star flyer, flying scooters, and zip line.

The park's ride manager showed us around and explained how the owner, Mickey, loves to incorporate animals as much as possible into the rides. The log flume flows through the aquarium, the sky ride gives you a bird's eye view, the train takes you through Africa as does their tram.

All in all it's a well rounded zoological park, and although the admission is more expensive than most I've visited ($39) it is privately owned and the care of the animals is expensive. Rides are pay per ride, cash only. While most zoos do have upcharges for their attractions, with the new additions bringing their count to 10, I would think a rides pass option would be in their future.

So if you are in the area, go check it out. I mean I suppose you could run in, get the credit, and run out, but why? You could easily spend 4+ hours there, we did.

Wildlife Zoo 040.JPG
Hey look, our own private island!
Wildlife Zoo 129.JPG
The unofficial official mascot of the zoo, the Macaw. The owner is a bird lover which probably explains why the birds are throughout the zoo, but hey, I'm not complaining!
Wildlife Zoo 146.JPG
Via Garbles: "Why do they stand on one leg, where does it go?"
Wildlife Zoo 034.JPG
It wouldn't be Arizona without some Mexican
image1.JPG
Ah yes, our chariot awaits us.
Wildlife Zoo 020.JPG
The Llamas could care less that we are here.
Wildlife Zoo 005.JPG
I have to hand it to them, the incorporation of the animals into the ride area makes a seemingly bland ride(for seasoned coaster whores) pretty cool. But don't let this seemingly bland ride fool you, it will kick you around.
IMG_0790.JPG
Satisfied and not ashamed it was time to check out the rest of the zoo. (Yes, I've put on a few and working hard to make those few disappear)
Wildlife Zoo 047.JPG
Who knew they had hunting season in Phoenix. I kid.
Wildlife Zoo 073.JPG
Hey, mind your own business.
Wildlife Zoo 081.JPG
That's what I thought.
Wildlife Zoo 096.JPG
Look, I'm sorry! Don't jump! It's not worth it!
Wildlife Zoo 050.JPG
Off we go to the Flying Birds!
Wildlife Zoo 066.JPG
Fly little birdie, fly, set yourself freeeee
Zoo4.jpg
So Jake and I sort of freaked out the ride ops. See me straight back in the red pointing towards the sky? Well, they'd never seen that happen before and genuinely thought something was wrong! So much like Mr. Bird here, they had their eye on us! Luckily we were with the Rides Manager who explained to them the art of snapping. Well, no snapping here, but fun as hell.
Wildlife Zoo 110.JPG
If you say so.
Wildlife Zoo 097.JPG
Totally feel ya man, we're pretty bummed about the presidential choices ourselves.
Wildlife Zoo 117.JPG
If you poke the monkey...
Wildlife Zoo 118.JPG
...the monkey makes loud noises and freaks you out.
Wildlife Zoo 121.JPG
Monkey then acts like nothing happened.
Wildlife Zoo 128.JPG
Noted.
zip2.jpg
The Zoo also installed a zipline thingy. Jake and I were going to ride together, but our combined weight said otherwise.
zip3.jpg
So being the good friend I am, I sent Jake up alone. Jake isn't a fan of heights. This thing hauls some serious ass, we're told it gets up to 28mph.
Wildlife Zoo 149.JPG
Incase you need more aerial action, check out the sky ride.
Wildlife Zoo 167.JPG
Yes yes. Ahem. "Guess what day it is, woot woot" (This was written on Wednesday, coincidence? I think not)
Wildlife Zoo 169.JPG
"Mike, Mike Mike Mike Mike"
Wildlife Zoo 177.JPG
"*sniff* do you eat broccoli? *sniff* cause that smells good. *sniff* man that smells good."
Wildlife Zoo 186.JPG
"Was it something I did?"
Wildlife Zoo 193.JPG
The Giraffes are more than happy to show you their tongues.
Wildlife Zoo 195.JPG
The Africa section is really nice with plenty of room for the animals to roam, you know, like it should be.
Wildlife Zoo 208.JPG
They offer tram tours that take you through various exhibits.
Wildlife Zoo 210.JPG
Elissa friendly.
Wildlife Zoo 217.JPG
"You can't see me!"
Wildlife Zoo 218.JPG
Finally we hit up the log flume.
Wildlife Zoo 222.JPG
Which was very well themed and very well maintained. Animals greeted you throughout the journey.
Wildlife Zoo 241.JPG
The aquarium is next to the flume which you are able to ride through. Neato.
Wildlife Zoo 243.JPG
These guys have it made.
Wildlife Zoo 252.JPG
For the log flume lift hill enthusiasts. So to the right and straight ahead is part of the aquarium. You can feed the stingrays or feed yourself at a local Phoenix chain called Dillions. You can choose to eat by the shark tank or with the one legged flamingos on the patio.
Wildlife Zoo 257.JPG
Like I mentioned earlier there is enough to do here that you could spend most of the day, so unless you are an awful credit whore, spend some time here, you will enjoy it.
Wildlife Zoo 267.JPG
And with that, we're down and out.

Comment away.
Last edited by chadster on Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:25 pm.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Re: P:TR Wildlife World Zoo, Safari, Aquarium...and Rides!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:11 pm

Some great shots there.

And wonderful there's still another Sky Ride around, somewhere in the world.
They are few and far between, year by year as we go.

Thanks for sharing your trip there. :smile:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:16 pm

The little coaster actually looks pretty decent, as does the log flume.

chadster wrote: Now I know what some of you are already thinking, that we just went to ride the kiddie coaster, and while that did play a factor in our decision, the reality is we both like zoos, so it was the best of both worlds.

;)

I am annoying as f**k!!!

Postby Henry M » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:03 am

Nice, I did not know this place existed. Looks like a good family park.
Note to self: don't be stupid...

Current top coaster = Expedition GeForce.

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby TBpony414 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:44 am

Fully support animals incorporated with rides, especially sky rides and flumes! Thanks for posting.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby theredskull84 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:49 pm

This looks like a cool place that I could easily spend most of the day in. I love zoos to begin with, so add in a few worthwhile rides on top of that? What's not to love! The coaster looks like it would be a blast as well, regardless of size. Thanks for sharing!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:44 pm

Any Zoo with a Sky Ride and Log Flume gets an A in my book. Any coaster that features Llama's does also. This seems like a great place. lol

Postby MIAfan88 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:20 pm

I've been here multiple times over my life, but haven't in about 4 years when the Log Flume was added. It looks like an entire new area was added.

I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Postby Jakizle » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:10 pm

MIAfan88 wrote:I've been here multiple times over my life, but haven't in about 4 years when the Log Flume was added. It looks like an entire new area was added.

That is correct, it is an entire new expansion on the Southwest side of the property and is quite large - and they are still adding animals to it!

Chad captured everything pretty great! I was most shocked by how big the place was and how many exhibits they had. Tons of cats in different places, land animals, birds, plus like 3-4 aquariums. And the new rides were great choices. Agreed that POP should be an option here though that includes rides.

Fun day!

Postby theredskull84 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:38 pm

coasterbill wrote:Any Zoo with a Sky Ride and Log Flume gets an A in my book. Any coaster that features Llama's does also. This seems like a great place. lol

100% agree!

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!