Martin & Cheryl Do Jinan, China!

Day 3 Update: The Uncanny Sun Tribe! Page 2!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Re: Martin & Cheryl Do Jinan, China!

Postby milst1 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:06 pm

SharkTums wrote:Great report so far! Some random comments...

Pretty sure this Europark is the next park on the Disney Lawyer's radar! Castle, Main Street, Font, Train, etc. Although I wonder about the rabbit as well...was it in front of a restaurant?

I had the same question as Chuck...did Chinese Walmart sell all American products? ;) Poor Cheryl, sometimes lost/delayed luggage is really a mystery. I'll never forget the time we arrived in PHL with a 1.5 year old KT only to be told "Sorry, your gate checked stroller didn't make it on the plane." How the hell do you forget a gate checked item when it's sitting in the jetway!!!!

Love your comment about the love/hate relationship with Delta...it's like a drug you can't quit.

You should have brought those Chinese smoke masks with you outside to protect you from the air!

Yeah, the font on the train? The bear? lol

Cheryl maintained her calm regarding the luggage. I had the meltdown instead, of course.

And yes, the air was funky, as expected. No surprise that warehouse blew sky high!

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby FreeFaller » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:21 am

Great report! I was surprised to see a Blue Fire clone!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:24 am

You have to admire the audacity of simply reusing Disney's Grizzly River Run bear.

Postby milst1 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:26 pm

Sorry for the delay between updates but school has started and I sometimes have to work on my actual job.

Our next day started out iffy and ended really well with the discovery of an incredible theme park, Sun Tribe. There's only a single coaster and there aren't a ton of rides, but the park had a lot to see.

But first we had to get 2 other parks out of the way. I like adding to rcdb when I can so we first went to some out of the way parks. The first had not yet opened its gates, and the second had seen better days.

Enjoy the report.
0001.jpg
This was our view from our hotel room. This is facing west, and the hotel is at the western edge of the city of Jinan.
0002.jpg
Driving to the first park, I noticed a few of these ghost towns. They're built up, but there are no windows in the buildings.
0003.jpg
Here's our route for today. The first park is in the SW and then we'll cut east to hit the other two. The green area in the east is Mount Tai, which I'll mention again below.
0004.jpg
Our driver had trouble finding the first park but I was able to navigate with Google Maps!
0005.jpg
I learned to say "turn left" and "turn right" in Mandarin pretty fast.
0006.jpg
The driver couldn't find it because it's not open yet. Dream Star Park is opening 2015 according to rcdb. You can see that the plaza paving stones aren't finished.
0007.jpg
There was no activity whatsoever. It's unfinished and no one was working on it.
0008.jpg
The only person on site was a security guard in that booth. Our driver talked to him but neither of them spoke English. It was easy enough to get the message though.
0009.jpg
There is a credit.
0010.jpg
Cheryl looks longingly at the rides she will not ride today. So you'll see some of these pictures on rcdb now. Woo hoo.
0011.jpg
The next park is called Taishan Tianting Paradise / 泰山天挺乐园 and it's near Mount Tai, which is one of China's "Five Great Mountains" and was a place to which emperors made pilgrimages. The area has a city and is popular with tourists. We didn't do any of the mountain hikes that are popular. I think Tai Shan means Tai Mountain.
0012.jpg
Here's the front gate.
0013.jpg
It was empty. It's seen better days.
0014.jpg
First stop.
0015.jpg
There was some natural beauty and this was the first glimpse of that. Complete with China's famous cities that have been built for people who don't want to move to them.
0016.jpg
Lots of kiddy flats. I won't bore you with them.
0017.jpg
But I will bore you with this powered coaster.
0018.jpg
With a great name that can now be found on rcdb.
0019.jpg
The woman in the booth seemed pleasantly surprised that she actually had some clients today.
0020.jpg
Wondering what this meant, we climbed up a big hill.
0021.jpg
And found this weird rocket car looking thing. Those cracks in the concrete inspired confidence.
0022.jpg
Apparently you shoot down these cables.
0023.jpg
This did not look very safe.
0024.jpg
Fortunately, there didn't seem to be anyone to operate it.
0025.jpg
But the top of the hill had some decent views of the surroundings, including the empty buildings.
0026.jpg
There was this nice lake.
0027.jpg
And I think that's the Tai Mountain area. Anyway, we decided to move on to the next park. We had no idea what to expect.
0028.jpg
Little did we know that we'd come to one of the nicest Chinese theme parks we had seen up to that point.
0029.jpg
The Sun Tribe.
0030.jpg
We had no idea what it was about, but it had great theming in the parking lot. We also discovered at the booth that there was an off-season sale going on so the admission was really cheap. We did like visiting at this time of year (early June), because it seemed that students were still in school and the weather wasn't too too hot. Of course I forgot to take a picture of the price board. You cross a kind of moat along a path.
0031.jpg
This giant figure guards the entrance and you then go through this mountain tunnel...
0032.jpg
and come out on this side.
0033.jpg
After you come out, you're at this huge, themed plaza.
0034.jpg
Apparently Sun Tribe is themed to the early human history of this area.
0035.jpg
The province has an early role in ancient Chinese civilization.
0036.jpg
We assumed that these scenes represented ancient myths and such.
0037.jpg
It was beautiful, and it was huge, and we had just entered the park.
0038.jpg
Huge tracts of land were in several directions.
0039.jpg
And it was filled with sculpture and such. This is just a taste.
0040.jpg
And theming.
0041.jpg
It took us a while to actually bump into a ride.
0042.jpg
But it was mostly this kiddie stuff, albeit well-themed.
0043.jpg
We walked by a giant Zorb hill, but we didn't see anyone zorbing. There were not a ton of guests around us.
0044.jpg
We entered an area that had some small shows and crafts. Those giant puppet things were for a show called: Ghost Wrestling (Emperor War Human God). The players were just sitting around in plain sight.
0045.jpg
We didn't linger to see if a show would start.
0046.jpg
Sweet.
0047.jpg
We entered another sector of the park that had another huge square.
0048.jpg
Random Chinese high school band. They weren't bad.
0049.jpg
Top Spin (probably a knock off), but not operating. Great theming. We saw similar Top Spin theming on the TPR China Trip in 2012, but the giant beast was a green ogre-type thing.
0050.jpg
There is one credit here, a Golden Horse Moto Coaster called Bull Fight in the Sky. I didn't know motorcycle bulls were a thing.
0051.jpg
If memory serves, this was crap, but not as crappy as the Booster Bike knockoff at Quancheng Europark.
0052.jpg
There's a good pic of the coaster and the Top Spin.
0053.jpg
I forgot what that was, but excellent theming again.
0054.jpg
How about this great shoot-the-chutes?
0055.jpg
This building was closed for construction, but another theming win.
0056.jpg
Okay, animal rights activists, you might want to look away. The translation was "Pig Olympics", or "Sports Meet of Piggies".
0057.jpg
See the racing pigs. Okay, we've had greased pig contests here in America. But check out that little house and the little moat that runs from it.
0058.jpg
The show started innocently enough with a doggie show. Cute.
0059.jpg
Then the pig races began. They go through various obstacles around a track, chased by a guy. Each time around, he changes the obstacles a bit.
0060.jpg
But on the 3rd and last go-around, the piggies are herded on top of the little house, and they're forced to jump. It was like a train wreck where you couldn't look away. The crowd absolutely loved it. You had to feel sorry for these pigs. Obviously they do this several times a day, but every time you could see that they did not want to jump. For one thing, pigs have shitty eyesight, so they can't even see where they're falling. They are not going voluntarily. They either fall off or they get pushed or they're running from the stick.
0061.jpg
He poked them and whapped them with his stick, pushed with his foot, and even kicked one off the house. Crowd loved it. The Shamu protesters should focus on this for a minute. SeaWorld treats its animals like kings in comparison. This is inhumane. I took a video but never posted it on YouTube because I was afraid of starting an international incident. An animal activist sees this, and I lose my Chinese visa when it goes viral. But it's an interesting illustration of differences in values across cultures!
0062.jpg
There was this really cute parade with a cartoonish depiction of the early pre-historic culture. I was filming and the performers were giving me shy smiles. They seemed a little embarrassed.
0063.jpg
Especially these guys, who were clearly workmen and gardeners and mechanics, all required to put on goofy costumes and do the parade twice a day.
0064.jpg
It was funny to see all of the parade floats in an openly visible storage area less than an hour later.
0065.jpg
This funny scene had to be investigated.
0066.jpg
Eventually we found the ride entrance, and it was great. The ponchos came with little leggings too. This was like a five minute raft ride that went really fast. It was awesome. Had to buy the on-ride photo. I should post the video. Robb, want it?
0067.jpg
This is the part right after that scene. It was fun.
0068.jpg
Again, good theming, even for just a bumper boat ride.
0069.jpg
We didn't ride the drop tower, but there were big attractions here and there.
0070.jpg
Well, there's the exit, through the longest and windiest gift shop area I've ever been through. Thanks for visiting Sun Tribe with us!
Last edited by milst1 on Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:03 am.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:37 pm

Yeah, I think we're going to need to see the peeing log flume video! I hope you sang "We are on a peeing log flume" the whole way around.

I believe we saw that Flying Wing Glider Ride at some sketchy park on the 2008 China Trip. I also think some of our people were dumb enough to do it. The amount of half or nearly done construction in the country is scary. I wonder if that park will ever actually be finished or if it will just sit like so many ghost cities/towns/parks.

Postby milst1 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:19 pm

Sadly we did not sing that! You guys could do an overdub!

Postby milst1 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:40 am

^^^
I tried to upload to flickr but they can't handle the file size. I'll put it on dropbox.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:19 am

Wow--they did put a lot of detail into that Sun Tribe park. Looking forward to seeing the video of the flume ride.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:30 am

Here's the peeing clip! lol
https://www.facebook.com/themeparkreview/videos/10153635797478566/

Last edited by robbalvey on Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:46 am.

Postby milst1 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:40 am

Awesome, thanks! :lmao:

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!