Legoland New York Discussion Thread

P. 4: Eight themed lands announced, park opens in 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Open Up Happiness

Legoland New York Discussion Thread

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:06 pm

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Legoland New York, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion.

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

August 20th, 2014 - Merlin considering a New York-based LEGOLAND park (see below)

August 22nd, 2018 - Eight themed lands announced, park opens in 2020!

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/rockland/haverstraw/2014/08/16/legoland-may-com-thiells/14138605/

Haverstraw has a shot at becoming the home of a $250 million Lego theme park that could bring 2 million visitors to an unused piece of land the town's been trying to develop for years.

Legoland was among the Mid-Hudson Regional Economic Development Council endorsements announced last week for 25 proposals submitted to receive state grants.

Along with Legoland, 11 other applications from the Lower Hudson Valley, including the Saw Mill River daylighting project, were endorsed by the council.

Recipients of the total $750 million in funds, which aim to create jobs and stimulate the local economy, will be announced this fall.

The theme park development, proposed for the former Letchworth Village property owned by the Town of Haverstraw, would potentially be followed by a water park, hotel and an expansion of the theme park, according to a press release. A developer is seeking financial assistance for the first phase of the project.

George Lagos of Stony Point, father of four boys — 10, 14, 19 and 22 — said his younger sons would be thrilled if a Lego park came to northern Rockland.

"I think that would be great for the kids," Lagos said. "And I'm sure it would bring a lot of people to the area, and that would help the area."

Legoland theme parks, operated by a British company, Merlin Entertainments, are located in California and Florida in the U.S. Locations overseas include Denmark, England, Germany and Malaysia.

The developer didn't return a request for comment Friday through Aimee Vargas, Mid-Hudson regional director for Empire State Development.

Haverstraw town Supervisor Howard Phillips said no agreement has been negotiated with the developer, and the town may still consider other uses for the 175-acre property.

"We've been asked not to say anything until we more or less have a proposal that we can agree upon, a memorandum of understanding, anything," Phillips said. "But we have nothing. So all I can tell you is yes, they are looking at the site."

Phillips said although he believed the property was an ideal site for a Legoland, he has concerns, such as traffic.

"Our doors are open. We're willing to sit down and negotiate. But we're not giving this land away. There's no fire sale," Phillips said. "We want to make sure whatever goes in there, our residents are going to be very proud of."

A plan to build a 500-unit housing development was considered for the site. But in 2008, the developer dropped the plan, a casualty of the poor housing market. The property has remained mostly unused since.
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:47 am.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Site Admin

Re: NEWS: Legoland may come to Thiells, NY

Postby SharkTums » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:24 am

I wonder if this is real or just a ploy for them to get the Rye park talking more now?

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: NEWS: Legoland may come to Thiells, NY

Postby larrygator » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:19 am

It appears Legoland's expansion into the Northeast US may still be alive

http://www.lohud.com/news/

Legoland officials eyeing move to Ramapo
Alex Taylor, artaylor@lohud.com 11:50 p.m. EST February 18, 2016

RAMAPO — Legoland executives visited Suffern on Thursday and have started discussions with officials about building a $250 million mega-theme park on the site of the former Novartis plant and 67 acres of town property.

Representatives of Merlin Entertainments had previously pitched the project for Letchworth Village property in Haverstraw, only to be rebuffed by officials in October amid overwhelming neighborhood hostility.

Behind the scenes, however, Ramapo officials have been trying to keep the county in play ever since.

Supervisor Christopher St. Lawrence met with Merlin representatives at 2 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza in Montebello along with a delegation of elected and business officials from Montebello, Suffern, Rockland County and the Ramapo Central school district

"It was really a conceptual meeting to see if there was interest in the site and where we could go from here," St. Lawrence told The Journal News after leaving the 90-minute meeting.

St. Lawrence said other locations were still in the running including Orange County and New Jersey.

"They've always liked Rockland County," he said. "The proximity to New York City is very important to them. Access to the site from the Thruway would be a key issue."

Merlin Entertainments, a London-based conglomerate that's second only to Disney in the competitive world of theme-park attractions, already has built Legolands in California and Florida, but wants to build another one on the East Coast.

The gigantic amusement park proposed for Haverstraw in 2014 called for rides, a water park and a hotel.

But residents expressed concern that the crowds - attendance was pegged at 2 million visitors a year - and traffic would overwhelm northern Rockland. There were accusations of backdoor business negotiations. Rumors that town officials had flown to Florida and California to visit Legolands in those states set off a storm on social media that eventually caused officials to back down.

Supporters continue to tout the benefits the complex would bring — mainly millions in sales tax revenue.

If built, the theme park would be a dramatic turnaround for the county's tourist industry as well as cement St. Lawrence's reputation for having transformed the face of Rockland's largest municipality. Projects approved in his eight terms include the $200 million sewer extension project in Western Ramapo as well as the $60 million Provident Bank Park.

In cash-strapped Suffern, Mayor Ed Markunas cheered a potential deal.

"It's enticing," he said, speaking by phone. "The impact - on finances, on jobs - would be beneficial."

Both Markunas and St. Lawrence called for Merlin Entertainments to run a public outreach campaign that would nourish public and community backing for the project from the outset and avoid the kind of opposition that doomed the North Rockland proposal.

"The public would need to be brought into this conversation," St. Lawrence said.

The vast Novartis' campus at 25 Old Mill Road sits on 162 acres in Suffern and Montebello. In 2014, Basel, Switzerland-based company announced it would close the plant and eliminate or transfer 525 jobs.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Re: NEWS: Legoland may come to New York

Postby Jew » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:02 pm

I guess Merlin has a thing for building parks kind of close to major cities.

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby Masquerade » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:23 pm

This is literally 10 to 15 minutes away from me.

If it does indeed go through, this is gonna be interesting.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:27 pm

This would do very well in Rockland. It may also be the final nail in Playland's coffin.

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby coneyislandchris » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:31 pm

Shocking that plans for redeveloping the Letchworth Village property fell through due to NIMBYism. OK, so people don't want to see a huge amusement park with millions of visitors a year... but you'd rather have empty, decrepit, abandoned buildings not doing anything? Makes PERFECT sense to me. :roll:
That coaster dad [316] and that coaster kiddo [175]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Intimidator 305. El Toro. Skyrush.

Kiddo's faves: Banshee. Top Thrill Dragster. Valravn. Apollo's Chariot. Twisted Timbers.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:33 pm

I expect NIMBYism in Rockland County to be at unimaginable levels.

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:58 pm

Jew wrote:I guess Merlin has a thing for building parks kind of close to major cities.

They usually do better than parks built in the middle of nowhere.

coneyislandchris wrote:Shocking that plans for redeveloping the Letchworth Village property fell through due to NIMBYism. OK, so people don't want to see a huge amusement park with millions of visitors a year... but you'd rather have empty, decrepit, abandoned buildings not doing anything? Makes PERFECT sense to me. :roll:

They probably want neither and the property just torn down and turned into (nontheme) park space or something. I'm fine with that. It isn't like they bought homes next to an amusement park that's been there for 120 years and are complaining now.

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:08 pm

Very cool idea to think about, hope it happens.
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!