The Giant Dipper and the Save the Coaster Committee

Memoirs from a member of the team who saved a roller coaster
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: The Giant Dipper and the Save the Coaster Committee

Postby thrillrider » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:23 am

This is a great read. Thank you for this.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby bryceone » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:29 am

This was so interesting. I've lived in California all my life. I've been to San Diego a few times, but I never have been to Mission Beach.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Xmeister » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:36 pm

As a San Diego native, I've always been fascinated by this coaster and the park's history. I've always wanted to see more color photos of the coaster before the restoration so this really has been a fascinating thread!

Thank you for your work to save the Giant Dipper! :b

Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:05 pm

I am loving this thread! I hope it gets bumped to the front page. I look forward to the rest of it. Your juxtaposition of facts, pictures and personal stories is fascinating reading. If you ever decide to put it all into a coffee table book. I would gladly pre-order one right now.

Like you, I have a great love for this particular ride as well. My father was Sea Bee Engineer in the Navy, and we moved every 2 years up and down the Southern California coast. But for the most part we kept bouncing back to being stationed in San Diego. While not as active as you were in seeing this coaster restored, I did have a great interest in it as a child. My uncle Henri and Aunt Susan lived, and still live about 20 blocks away from the park and we would often stroll by there on morning and evening walks when we would visit. I had my first rides on the Dipper (then Earthquake) in 75' & 76'. Next to the Matterhorn, Corkscrew at Knott's, and The Great American Revolution, it was one of my first "Big Boy" rollercoasters. And as far as I can remember my first ever woodie. We moved across the US in fall of 76', and I didn't even realize that the park had shut down untill we came back to the westish coast (Vegas) in 81'. it was only then on a trip to see my Aunt and Uncle there in Mission Bay when I learned of the state in which the coaster existed. My Uncle Henri filled me and my brothers in on how no one was ever sure what was actually going on with the whole property. That it was tied up in some sort of legal battles because it was now a State Landmark. I remember he would always just end his comments with, "I really don't care what they do with it. I just want them to either fix it, or tear it down. Cause all it is right now is an eyesore and a fire hazard." I didn't realize at the time that he was referencing the fires.

It was such a pleasure to get to ride it again when I visited in 06'. For the past 4 years, I have made it a point to get in a few laps while I am down there working Comic Con.

Again, fantastic thread. It is a pleasure reading this and I thank you. =)

It all started with a donkey

Postby the ghost » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:35 am

Very cool, especially considering I have actually ridden this one, and while it is not a top 5 or top 10 I do totally appreciate the history of the coaster and made sure to take my time in the little museum checking everything out, very interesting. Also thank you for all the awesome threads, this and the model and anything else you seem to post are always very interesting and informative... fun to geek out on some coaster history.
:derek: TPR's resident ent!

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby hillflyer » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:15 am

Thanks Robb for moving this to the main page and thank you everyone for your positive responses. Mission Beach just celebrated one hundred years of its declaration, so I was waxing sentimental and dug out my old files.

There is LOTS more juicy stuff to come, I promise.

Thanks again.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby hillflyer » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:03 am

TRUE OR FALSE:

In the 1986 movie "Top Gun" you can actually see printed Save the Coaster Committee material tacked on a bulletin board that Tom Cruise stands and stares at in a scene that takes place in the shower room.
Tom Cruise.jpg

Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:43 pm

^That's a trick question. How could anyone notice anything around all the gratuitous man meat that was glistening on screen during that scene. My God! Even as a Breast and Vagina loving, straight edge heterosexual man, I couldn't sheild my eyes from the chiseled, well oiled abs and pecks. Next thing you'll try and tell me is that there was a vollyball scene where the homoerotic suntan oil slathering scene was. C'mon! Get real!

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:51 pm

It's too bad the coaster and Belmont Shore have been in a constant state of flux for the last 20 years. Owners keep going bankrupt.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:56 am

Guy T. Koepp wrote:I am loving this thread! I hope it gets bumped to the front page.

So shall it be written, so shall it be done! ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!