TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tayto Park Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Tayto Park, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Tayto Park.

Tayto Park's Official Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

Tayto Park announces 2nd biggest European Wooden coaster (see below)

August 19th, 2016 - Expansion plans announced: 2017 - Log Flume 2019 - Major Coaster

November 29th, 2018 - An "iconic" steel coaster planned for 2021

Original Post:

If I had to place my bets I'd say GCI. What do you think?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/tayto-park-could-get-europes-2nd-biggest-roller-coaster-in-2015-29888060.html

Tayto Park could get Europe's 2nd biggest roller coaster in 2015

BY FIONA DILLON – 04 January 2014

TAYTO Park is planning to install what will be the second biggest roller coaster in Europe.

The amusement park is aiming to set up the ¿8.5m attraction in 2015 as a part of a programme including new rides, a new entrance and additional parking and facilities.

Owner Ray Coyle told the Herald that the proposal for the extension would soon be submitted to the relevant planning authorities.

PLANNING

"A planning application is ready for lodgement at the end of the month with Meath County Council," he added.

The roller coaster will be the second biggest in Europe in terms of speed and length.

"It will be 1.4kms long, and 32 metres at its highest point," said Mr Coyle, "and it will be able to take 700 people an hour."

There are two trains on the attraction and each of them has 12 seats. It also has a top speed of 105km an hour.

The wooden ride, which will take up about 2.8 acres, has to be built specially in America to suit the site, Mr Coyle revealed.

The only roller coaster that is bigger in dimensions is in Europa Park in Germany.

The owner hopes the attraction -- and the other works -- will be big draw for potential visitors. A total of ¿25m is set to be invested over the next year-and-a half, with the new developments scheduled to be completed by April 2015.

Mr Coyle said he was very pleased at how well the park in Ashbourne, Co Meath, had done since opening in 2010.

He revealed that visitor numbers had grown exponentially year-on-year. In its first year of business, 224,000 people went through its gates. But by 2012, that figure had risen to 350,000.

And last year, the numbers came just short of half a million, reaching 495,000, according to Mr Coyle.

"I am absolutely thrilled -- we believe that we can keep growing," the owner said.

"We are predicting a 12pc growth in visitor numbers this year, and the following year a 25pc growth in numbers because of the new roller coaster and new rides."

The businessman also revealed that there were even more attractions set to go live within the next few months.

Edited by jedimaster1227

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 seat trains, that sounds interesting for a coaster that size, a lot like Timber Falls Avalanche or whatever it's called this week.

Maybe it was a mistake and it was meant to be 12 plus 12 for 24 a train. My money's on GCI, but maybe S & S if it really is 12 person trains.

Sounds like a nice little park.

12 seat trains, that sounds interesting for a coaster that size, a lot like Timber Falls Avalanche or whatever it's called this week.

Maybe it was a mistake and it was meant to be 12 plus 12 for 24 a train. My money's on GCI, but maybe S & S if it really is 12 person trains.

Sounds like a nice little park.

Or maybe something like this?

32 meters seems a little bit high for twelve-seat trains. I'm betting on twelve car trains, with the coaster being built by Great Coasters or Gravity Group.

Yeah, the reported train size sounds baffling. I mean, the capacity might work for the park, but coasters that big don't usually have trains that small. Then again there are small coasters with big trains and big coasters with small trains.

I don't know why this is so exciting to me; I guess because new wood coasters are always a good thing (unless they're Son of Beast). What are the chances of this working out? Here's hoping.

I'd bet it's going to be GCI, but there's one section that makes me think it won't :

The wooden ride, which will take up about 2.8 acres, has to be built specially in America to suit the site, Mr Coyle revealed.

The fact that they specify the coaster is going to be built in America gives me the feeling it would be a pre-fab (I don't think GCI makes pre-fab... Usually they build them on site). That makes me believe it's going to be an RMC pre-fab. Maybe ?

^Could be another error (or at least poorly explained).

At least White Lightning and Hellcat show that there's precedent for 12-person trains on larger woodies. The White Lightning train looks so normal that I never noticed it was shorter, but the Hellcat train strikes me as a bit...odd.

So the only bigger one in Europe is Wodan at Europa Park not Colossus at Heide Park?

Guess we found another error! It should be the third biggest!

I say it will be a GCI or TGG, also, didn't TGG say they had a client in Europe that wanted a high five wooden coaster? This could be that coaster.

I'd bet it's going to be GCI, but there's one section that makes me think it won't :

The fact that they specify the coaster is going to be built in America gives me the feeling it would be a pre-fab (I don't think GCI makes pre-fab... Usually they build them on site). That makes me believe it's going to be an RMC pre-fab. Maybe ?

Yeah, I interpreted that as the ride was going to be built by an American company, not that it was going to literally be built in America! lol

Yeah, I interpreted that as the ride was going to be built by an American company, not that it was going to literally be built in America! lol

Finger crossed the range of American companies will be in RMC, GCI, GG, S&S and possibly Premier and Chance. Please please please don't bring RCCA back to life!