Photo TR: Culture and Credits in OK-TX-LA!

Martin & Cheryl Go Deep in the Heart of Texas!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Photo TR: Culture and Credits in OK-TX-LA!

Postby milst1 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:57 pm

We were unable to do the TPR Midwest Trip this year (which would have been our third TPR trip in 2013!), but I've been talking about a "Deep in the Heart of Texas" trip for a couple of years, and we finally got to do it. Texas in August, you say? Actually, it wasn't too bad this year, and we tacked Oklahoma on to the beginning and Louisiana to the end. Hope you enjoy.

Our trip began with an evening flight to Oklahoma City.
1.jpg
First thing in the morning, we visited the most excellent Oklahoma City National Memorial and Museum. You should definitely make time for this if you are ever in this area. It's quite moving.
2.jpg
Oklahoma City is also home to Frontier City!
4.jpg
First, a big shout out to TPR's very own TheSchwitek for giving us a nice little tour of the credits. We could see that he's giving the park a lot of TLC. And he was a great host.
3.jpg
First credit was Wild Kitty!
5.jpg
Wild Kitty! I really like that name.
6.jpg
Other credits we hit included Wildcat, the very fun woodie...
7.jpg
...Steel Lasso, the Vekoma Suspended Family...
8.jpg
...and Silver Bullet, the Scharzkopf Looping Star.
9.jpg
We actually skipped Diamond Back, the Arrow Shuttle Loop that used to be half of Lightnin' Loops at our home park, Six Flags Great Adventure.
10.jpg
It was a very quiet day at the park. In fact it was the last day of daily operations. Animals come out when there are no people, like this beaver.
11.jpg
And this turtle.
12.jpg
Here is the new water play structure. They are building out the waterpark section nicely.
14.jpg
TheSchwitek gave us a backstage tour of his office. He has a lot of souvenir drink cups!
15.jpg
We enjoyed our visit to this pleasant park. Then we drove 4 hours to Texas.
gg.jpg
But first we stopped for lunch at this Mongolian Barbecue place. Meh. Not as good as the one I used to go to in Minneapolis. I'm sure there are better ones out there.
16.jpg
Four hours later, we reached Wonderland in Amarillo! The park opened at 7pm, and we happened on a special: Free soda with admission!
17.jpg
First credit was Mouse Trap, a 1975 Pinfari Zyklon.
18.jpg
Here's another look. I asked the operator a question and the people in front of us turned around and said "You're not from around here, are you!"
19.jpg
Don't confuse Mouse Trap, the Pinfari Zyklon, with Cyclone, the Miler Wild Mouse. Besides Wild Chipmunk at Lakeside, this Miler Wild Mouse is the only other one still operating. Tree Top Racers at Adventure City is SBNO, and Mighty Mouse at Funtown Pier was a victim of Hurricane Sandy.
20.jpg
Texas Tornado was quite bizarre.
21.jpg
Weirdest loops we've ever seen. It's a Hopkins.
22.jpg
Hornet is a Vekoma that came to Wonderland via Boblo Island and Astroworld.
23.jpg
Fantastic Journey was a fun dark ride.
24.jpg
See what I mean?
25.jpg
You've been warned.
26.jpg
What else? Pirate ship, a Sizzler, carousel, lots of kiddie flats, Skee Ball, sky ride...
27.jpg
Ferris wheel, rainbow, oh, and that killer looking storm coming in! Amarillo is definitely inside Tornado Alley.
27.5.jpg
That just did not look good.
28.jpg
I did get this beautiful shot as we ran for our lives. We found shelter at a theater and saw Elysium.
30.jpg
The next day we had some time to kill and visited this very cool RV museum in Amarillo.
31.jpg
Yup, that's Jeff Daniels' RV from the movie RV.
32.jpg
Mr. Sisemore was really nice. He started with a gas station and now he's one of the biggest manufacturers and retailers of RVs in the world.
33.jpg
We then picked Lauren up at the airport (she was supposed to fly into OKC but was re-routed after multiple flight cancellations) and headed to the Cadillac Ranch, which I've always wanted to see. It was a bit of a let-down, due to a lake left by the previous night's storms, and all of the empty spray cans that people leave all over the place. But still fun.
33.5.jpg
Of course there's still something very cool about 10 Cadillacs buried in a row with their tail fins sticking up. I would have loved to have seen it when it was new.
34.jpg
We then had a decent lunch at a place called Dyer's Bar-B-Que and they had a sink like this.
35.jpg
Then we checked out Route 66 in Amarillo. There are a lot of antique places there. There was also a very cool haunted house place called 6th Street Massacre that's only open around Halloween, so check it out if you're there this month.
36.jpg
Then it was on to Lubbock, Texas, and Joyland, "Where the Fun Is!"
38.jpg
Joyland was fun. I did my first rock-o-plane.
39.jpg
Cheryl is always amazed any time I do a new flat.
40.jpg
Dipsy Doodle was this Miler kiddie oval.
41.jpg
They had a nice old carousel.
42.jpg
They had this Allan Herschell Mad Mouse, which is exactly the style preferred by the Chinese ripoffs.
43.jpg
They had a Sizzler, Tilt-a-Whirl, and this Spider.
44.jpg
They also had this Trabant.
45.jpg
A Musik Express and a Skyride.
46.jpg
Joyland Garbage Can for the collection!
47.jpg
Cool merch.
48.jpg
Good times.
49.jpg
Onto another plane! Texas is just too big.
50.jpg
To the Six Flags Mother Ship.
51.jpg
Since we had these from the TPR Mexico Trip...
52.jpg
Cheryl was able to get the Pandemonium credit. I had the credit from its Tony Hawk days.
53.jpg
Cheryl still doesn't have Shock Wave, but it was down.
54.jpg
And none of us were going to get this credit on this trip.
55.jpg
Wonder Woman Photo-Op
56.jpg
And the new Texas Sky Screamer was fun.
57.jpg
Then an incredibly long drive across Eastern Texas. If you drive across Texas, you will see Buc-ee's.
58.jpg
We made it to our next destination.
59.jpg
Fortunately we managed a ride on Iron Shark before it started to rain and things started shutting down.
60.jpg
It's a cute little park.
61.jpg
I surprised Cheryl by going on another flat ride.
62.jpg
When on Galveston Island, our advice is to skip the long waits at Bubba Gump's and Fish Tales. Landry's gets enough of your money when you go on the pier. Go down the beach to Gaido's. Really good.
63.jpg
Then another ridiculously long drive to San Antonio's very own Six Flags!
64.jpg
Look who's meeting us here! It's Jolie! We have so many good TPR friends all over!!!
65.jpg
And look what we're riding today! Just reopened with the seat belts.
66.jpg
They're happy!
67.jpg
This is a super fun ride! I thought it would be more intense, but it's incredibly fun.
68.jpg
Then a quick run over to SeaWorld!
69.jpg
So I can get my Steel Eel fix!
70.jpg
And my Azul fix. I always send the silks photos to Elissa!
71.jpg
We close down SeaWorld, and we bid adieu to Jolie, and we drive Lauren back to Austin. Cheryl and I have one more stop before heading home.
72.jpg
Welcome to Baton Rouge, Louisiana!
73.jpg
You park here, give your tickets at the gate and walk the bridge to park.
74.jpg
They were very concerned about undergarments.
75.jpg
Bridge over the highway.
77.jpg
The park was completely deserted, and we found out that the dry rides didn't get going until 2pm, so we left for lunch and came back.
78.jpg
The park has 4 credits: Loco Loco, a Miler Family;
79.jpg
Gilbeau's Galaxi, an SDC Galaxi;
80.jpg
Ragin' Cajun, a Vekoma Boomerang; and
81.jpg
Xtreme, a Maurer Sohne Xtended SC2000. A young woman was killed on this in 2010, you may recall. The family and the park happened to reach a settlement while we were in Baton Rouge. Now they only fill 2 seats per car and the ops have to be 18+. It really kills the already-limited capacity. UPDATE: I don't know if this is news, but according to an ad in the October issue of Amusement Today, Dixie Landin' has put this up for sale. Asking price is $2 million. Ironically, the ad photo shows four riders in a car, having lots of fun.
82.jpg
There are a few flats and such. We rode the train. We were turned away from the antique cars because we didn't have a kid!
83.jpg
Twas the end of the season, and the gift shops were bare.
84.jpg
Every time Cheryl tried to take her pants off, I was able to point to one of these conveniently available signs.
85.jpg
A couple of tiny culture credits before the end of our trip: We visited the Louisiana State Capitol, the tallest state capitol building in the USA.
86.jpg
It was built by then-Governor Huey Long, who did a lot to bring Louisiana into the modern era (e.g electrification, roads, bridges, education). He was a great populist, but became corrupted by his unmatched power. The rich hated his plan to cap wealth. He could have gone on to challenge FDR for the presidency.
87.jpg
But he was assassinated inside the lobby of his own statehouse. One of the bullets missed him and left this hole in the marble. He was shot by the son-in-law of a judge he had fired.
88.jpg
Both legislative chambers and the governor's office are in this building.
89.jpg
There are great views from the observation deck.
90.jpg
The building was named a National Historic Landmark in 1983.
91.jpg
That's it for this trip report...Thanks for joining us!!!
Last edited by milst1 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:39 am.

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Re: Photo TR: Culture and Credits in OK-TX-LA!

Postby chadster » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:38 pm

I would much rather have Wonderland in my backyard than SFOT, love that park.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:50 pm

Fantastic trip report as always, Martin! Question - did you use the new multi-uploader for all those photos?

Postby milst1 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:07 pm

robbalvey wrote:Fantastic trip report as always, Martin! Question - did you use the new multi-uploader for all those photos?

Means a lot to me, coming from you, Robb!

I did not use the Multi-uploader. I'm still picking my photos out and uploading them one at a time, but I do plan to try it out on a report in the near future, and I'll let you know!

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby simon8899 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:41 pm

Judging by the pictures Wonderland takes great care of their rides. The coasters and even the flats look like new - love parks were they preserve the classics.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby beatle11 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:21 pm

Always cool to see reports from less visited parks. Those loops on Texas Tornado are very confusing.

Postby milst1 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:56 pm

beatle11 wrote:Always cool to see reports from less visited parks. Those loops on Texas Tornado are very confusing.

Right? It's not just like one loop is weird and the other is normal. Both loops are bizarre! :omg:

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:27 pm

chadster wrote:I would much rather have Wonderland in my backyard than SFOT, love that park.

Then move! ;)

Nice report Martin. Like the little history lesson at the end.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:17 pm

This Photo TR just makes me upset that I couldn't join you all on this trip, but I appreciate the invite. Glad you have a blast getting to some parks that still evade me.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby RCjunkie » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:17 pm

"But first we stopped for lunch at this Mongolian Barbecue place. Meh. Not as good as the one I used to go to in Minneapolis."

Kahn's Mongolian by any chance?

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive