Photo TR: The Kiwis Do Texas Midwest 2013

The Intamin Cable Strikes Again - Knott’s Berry Farm, pg. 23
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Off the Beaten Path - Magic Springs & Crystal Falls

Postby mattnz » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:16 am

Arkansas is far off the beaten path. It's one of those places I probably wouldn't visit were it not for TPR and my ongoing search for elusive credits. Having now visited, I can still tell you little about the place: I know it's the boyhood home of Bill Clinton, it's pretty, it has hot springs, it smells like a cross between cow dung and fertilizer - and it has a pretty decent amusement park.

We had a fairly brief stop at Magic Springs & Crystal Falls, since we were on our way to Silver Dollar City where our time was best maximised, but past experience told me that these out of the way parks often have more to offer than meets the eye.

I liked Magic Springs. I can see how the park might want to focus on their water park, but I thought the rides section had plenty to offer and I hope they keep it around and expand on it too. They had a Maurer Söhne SkyLoop for one - we've been on one of these crazy contraptions on the Gold Coast in Australia and it is definitely a thrilling ride experience, with some big Gs at the bottom of the drop and the odd sensation of hanging upside down at 150 feet with lapbars only. I was glad to see it still operating at Magic Springs.

The other coasters are pretty standard, from a non-eventful out and back woodie to a painful SLC and a better than average Arrow mine train, but if I was a local I'd take these rides over water slides any day. Coasters are just an altogether different experience, and with the park's decent flats - including a Zamperla Power Surge and an S&S Double Shot (two of my favourites), along with a log flume - and I see lots of room for them to do positive expansion rather than doing an 'Alabama Adventure' on us.

One last comment: the ride ops and staff here were SO friendly! Inquisitive, talkative and just really nice - the sort of people we always seem to encounter in the South. For example, a staff member, when we passed by their games stall said, "Thanks anyway, have a nice day!" when we turned them down. Very unlike the aggressive attitude you'd see at many other parks (hey Six Flags!).
IMG_5063 (Copy).JPG
This photo has been seen before and will probably be seen again...until the world gets more female roller coaster enthusiasts!
IMG_5071 (Copy).JPG
Welcome to Arkansas, a state I only recently learned how to pronounce.
IMG_5074 (Copy).JPG
We received a very warm welcome to Magic Springs and were given souvenir cups (I still have mine).
IMG_5075 (Copy).JPG
Five brand new credits awaited us at Magic Springs! Yay for open X-Coasters.
IMG_5080 (Copy).JPG
We wandered through the water park to get to our first credit. Any park with a FlowRider has an asset on their hands.
IMG_5081 (Copy).JPG
Some pretty cool slides in the water park.
IMG_5082 (Copy).JPG
'Crystal Falls' looked quite tempting.
IMG_5085 (Copy).JPG
Arkansas Twister, formerly of Boardwalk and Baseball in Florida.
IMG_5086 (Copy).JPG
It was OK. A fairly decent out and back woodie, but not much airtime to be had...
IMG_5091 (Copy).JPG
There was a small area for the little ones at Magic Springs.
IMG_5093 (Copy).JPG
Cute carousel.
IMG_5095 (Copy).JPG
Nice area of the park.
IMG_5096 (Copy).JPG
The lake that sits in the middle of Magic Springs.
IMG_5099 (Copy).JPG
Diamond Mine Run is the fancy name for the park's kiddie coaster.
IMG_5101 (Copy).JPG
Yay! A Zamperla Power Surge! Great flat ride.
IMG_5103 (Copy).JPG
Better still, an S&S Double Shot. This one went by the name of Dr. Dean's Rocket Machine.
IMG_5105 (Copy).JPG
The very intimidating X-Coaster...
IMG_5106 (Copy).JPG
There is something about vertical lift hills that manages to elicit screams of fear from riders.
IMG_5107 (Copy).JPG
You don't see too many hands up on this ride.
IMG_5110 (Copy).JPG
I do love an Arrow mine train, and this one was better than average.
IMG_5111 (Copy).JPG
This mine train has really whored itself around - from Six Flags St. Louis to Dollywood to Magic Springs. But it feels like it's always been here, with the setting amid the trees.
IMG_5112 (Copy).JPG
There was some kind of pirate show going on...
IMG_5115 (Copy).JPG
Yay! First SLC of the trip!
IMG_5116 (Copy).JPG
We tried every which way to brace ourselves - but it still kicked our asses!
IMG_5117 (Copy).JPG
No caption required.
IMG_5121 (Copy).JPG
Magic Springs has a couple of water rides, including this very wet shoot-the-chutes.
IMG_5123 (Copy).JPG
There was a lot of shade at Magic Springs too, always a welcome component of any park.
IMG_5125 (Copy).JPG
The giant wave pool seemed to attract most of the park's visitors today.
IMG_5127 (Copy).JPG
Jesus-themed merch.
IMG_5128 (Copy).JPG
Magic Mountain isn't the only park than can YOLO! Silver Dollar City up next - and I'll try to be more prompt with my updates. (Sorry Neil!)

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Re: Photo TR: The Kiwis Do Texas Midwest 2013

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:00 am

Grest TR! Now I am kind of regret that I haven't take enough photo of Magic Springs. Rushing around for credits and anticipating for Silver Dollar City made me not paying attention to how nice the park was! If I get a chance, GO BACK WITH TPR! =)

Ignore this post, I'm probably drunk

Re: Off the Beaten Path - Magic Springs & Crystal Falls

Postby Vtafro » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:05 am

mattnz wrote:Yay! First SLC of the trip!

More importantly the Last SLC of the trip!

Vagina Wreckage

Postby Barge84 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:53 am

Lots of great pictures from Magic Springs! I didn't take a whole lot of pictures there, but I thought it was a really nice little park. Outside of SDC, they were probably the friendliest employees that we dealt with. Especially the crazy girl running the Arkansas Twister!

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby FreeFaller » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:35 am

^Haha, that girl was crazy! I kinda feel sorry for her co- worker! :D Another great update! Watching all those photos, want me to go on another trip! Is it summer 2014? :D

Counselor Neil

Postby televisedconfession » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:02 am

Oh my god, I forgot about her. She was a hoot!

Great update yet again Kiwis. :)
-Neil or no Deal

Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/8edb82c78b6d77e5bd773746c455c1ca.jpg[/img][/url]

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Silver Dollar City Just Keeps Getting Better and Better

Postby mattnz » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:58 pm

Thanks everyone for following along with my TR and apologies for the delay between updates - it's been a busy few months.

I was quite ill in 2010 when we last visited Silver Dollar City with TPR, and it didn't stop me from having a great time. In fact, it was my favourite park of the trip back then - and I can say the same for our visit this time round.

Silver Dollar City just keeps getting better and better. There is something incredibly charming about the place - the beautiful setting, friendly service, working craftsmen, amazing food around every corner and unique rides all coming together to create a world-class park. In fact, along with Knoebel's, this is easily my favourite theme park in the world.

Outlaw Run is the crowning achievement of the park - and what an amazing ride it is! I would compare it to one of my other favourites, El Toro. It's equally insane - a smooth but intense, out of control, wild ride. The first drop is crazy, the airtime and those swooping turns absolutely stunning, and the double heartline roll into the brake run makes for a great finale. We had our first rides at night during an epic ERT session and you could see how good the coaster was by the reactions on the faces of the riders barrelling out of that last heartline roll.

Day two at the park saw patchy weather, and just like our visit to Knoebel's in 2011, it didn't affect our experience whatsoever. The park is too well run for that! We enjoyed a backstage tour of Fire in the Hole, and utilised the park's special Trailblazer passes to get on all the rides. Not that we needed or wanted to rush - this is a park you have to explore and, very importantly, eat your way around! Particular favourites of mine were the cinnamon bread (which is to DIE for!), the delicious skillets and kettle chips. The park also put on an amazing lunch for us. It was some the best food we had on the entire trip.

We didn't do the Marvel Cave tour this time, and due to flooding you couldn't do the round trip anyway, but I highly recommend it to visitors of the park. It is a totally unique experience and a wonderful break from the heat too.

I know I'm raving about Silver Dollar City, and I haven't even gotten to the other rides yet, so I'll let the photos do the rest of the talking...
20130803_003159 (Copy).jpg
Welcome to Missouri!
IMG_5153 (Copy).JPG
I don't have many photos from our first night at Silver Dollar City, but this one sure brings back memories. Night rides on Outlaw Run were totally epic! And how cool that our visit was on the park's very first midnight closing.
IMG_0709 (Copy).JPG
Day 2: On our way to the park we passed by poor old Ozark Wildcat, now SBNO since 2009.
IMG_0848 (Copy).JPG
We kicked off the day with a backstage tour of Fire in the Hole, the park's fun coaster/dark ride hybrid.
IMG_0712 (Copy).JPG
The nicely-themed station.
IMG_0715 (Copy).JPG
TPR ponchos are very in this season.
IMG_0719 (Copy).JPG
It was great checking out the maintenance areas.
IMG_0720 (Copy).JPG
Replacement wheels...
IMG_0729 (Copy).JPG
Fire in the Hole has electrically powered sections and a series of drops, including a splash down finish. A real classic.
IMG_1084 (Copy).JPG
We then headed straight back to Outlaw Run!
IMG_1085 (Copy).JPG
Outlaw Run, like all the attractions at Silver Dollar City, is carefully themed. Riders are part of the law enforcement tasked to take control back from the outlaws. As explained to us at lunch, this bit of themeing at the entrance is there to advertise that "good guys always win".
IMG_0734 (Copy).JPG
The coaster is quite hard to photograph from the pathways, but we got this nice peek of the heartline rolls
IMG_0735 (Copy).JPG
If rain really does lubricate coaster track, I say bring it on!
IMG_0740 (Copy).JPG
We were all amazed that the park managed to add the second train today - this was just after modifications were made, and they had only been running one train the previous night. We all cheered at this sight!
IMG_0741 (Copy).JPG
Station themeing.
IMG_0751 (Copy).JPG
No ERT for us today, but no matter, the Trailblazer passes got us on multiple times.
IMG_0749 (Copy).JPG
TPR are ready to ride!
IMG_0759 (Copy).JPG
The speedy lift hill.
IMG_0763 (Copy).JPG
That drop...one of the best in the world without a doubt.
IMG_0776 (Copy).JPG
That turn!
IMG_1036 (Copy).JPG
A pic we took from the train later in the day. The trees have really grown in since Outlaw Run opened, making it seem even faster!
IMG_0781 (Copy).JPG
Time to explore the rest of the park.
IMG_0783 (Copy).JPG
There are all sorts of strange things to do at Silver Dollar City...like Elsie the Milk Cow.
IMG_0786 (Copy).JPG
Random fun!
IMG_0788 (Copy).JPG
The Giant Barn Swing is a well-themed S&S Screamin' Swing.
IMG_1088 (Copy).JPG
I love these rides - they're usually quite short, but so much fun.
IMG_0790 (Copy).JPG
I thought this was the Ozark Water Tree, but no - that's apparently a real tree that yields a continuous stream of water. I don't recall seeing it, which is typical of the park - they just have so much to see and do.
IMG_0793 (Copy).JPG
I love this place!
IMG_0794 (Copy).JPG
We wandered in here for another highlight of the day...
IMG_0800 (Copy).JPG
Cinnamon bread with extra frosting... This is just so, SO good, it's hard to explain and hard to overrate.
IMG_0799 (Copy).JPG
Amen!
IMG_0818 (Copy).JPG
We didn't know about Grandfather's Mansion on our last visit, so were happy to find it this time.
IMG_0821 (Copy).JPG
Something sure is up with Grandfather!
IMG_0823 (Copy).JPG
They had some great tricks in here.
IMG_0825 (Copy).JPG
Every park should have a fun house!
IMG_0816 (Copy).JPG
Time to explore some more...
IMG_0814 (Copy).JPG
The park's suspension bridge.
IMG_0832 (Copy).JPG
Silver Dollar City has a lot of craftsmen demonstrations, such as wood carving.
IMG_0817 (Copy).JPG
The smells at Silver Dollar City were just heavenly!
IMG_0845 (Copy).JPG
We had to sample some of the food from the cast-iron skillets.
20130803_114018 (Copy).jpg
It was fantastic! (Of course!)
IMG_0924 (Copy).JPG
The weather started to clear up nicely for us, and it actually got pretty hot.
IMG_0830 (Copy).JPG
Ah! Don't tempt me!
IMG_1146 (Copy).JPG
Powder Keg was a fantastic, fun launched coaster - and as others on TPR have said, it's quite underrated!
IMG_1166 (Copy).JPG
The park ran the ride exceptionally well on our visit, with fast dispatches, significantly reducing what looked like a long line.
IMG_1163 (Copy).JPG
We're ready for our blast in the wilderness!
IMG_1151 (Copy).JPG
The launch is great, the airtime surprising, the second lift hill unique - all in all, great fun. I wish there were most coasters on the planet like this one!
IMG_1159 (Copy).JPG
Like some of the other rides at Silver Dollar City, it was a little hard to photograph...
IMG_0853 (Copy).JPG
It was getting hot, so what better way to cool off than some water rides? (I don't have any decent photos of Tom & Huck's River Blast, but we were all surprised at how fun this was!)
IMG_0855 (Copy).JPG
We managed to squash five adult men into our log on American Plunge - and got soaked!
IMG_1114 (Copy).JPG
Lost River of the Ozarks was very popular with the crowds, but fortunately the Trailblazer passes saved the day yet again.
IMG_1108 (Copy).JPG
The public seem to love rapids rides, and so do I!
IMG_0863 (Copy).JPG
Lost River of the Ozarks has some interesting features, including a cool tunnel.
IMG_0884 (Copy).JPG
I haven't forgotten about B&M's contribution to Silver Dollar City.
IMG_1126 (Copy).JPG
Wildfire is a fun ride...and the first drop is particularly good, especially in the back, where your butt will not touch the seat the whole way down.
IMG_0870 - Copy (Copy).JPG
It also has one of the best backdrops of any coaster in the world!
IMG_1134 (Copy).JPG
Heading into the cobra roll.
IMG_0879 (Copy).JPG
It only has a couple of jolts (the corkscrew, as I recall, walloped my ears).
20130803_154547 (Copy).jpg
It was time for lunch, and WHAT a lunch we had. Thanks Silver Dollar City!
IMG_0957 (Copy).JPG
After lunch we wandered over to the Grand Exposition area to watch TPR members embarrass themselves on the kiddie coaster.
IMG_0978 (Copy).JPG
But a credit's a credit, right?
IMG_0969 (Copy).JPG
It's a really beautiful area with lots of flat rides.
IMG_0962 (Copy).JPG
Some nice rides for the little ones too.
IMG_0992 (Copy).JPG
The park spends months covering their buildings with Christmas lights. This undoubtedly looks stunning at night!
IMG_0996 (Copy).JPG
We checked out Geyser Gulch.
IMG_0997 (Copy).JPG
It's a really fun area for both kids and adults.
IMG_1004 (Copy).JPG
There were two large buildings with plenty to explore, and lots and lots of balls!
IMG_1010 (Copy).JPG
We also rode the Flooded Mine, a shooting dark ride. Word has it that it may not be around for much longer, at least in its current form.
IMG_1008 (Copy).JPG
I loved the Americana store!
IMG_0938 (Copy).JPG
Is it time for more food yet?
IMG_0930 (Copy).JPG
The park had an enormous candy store.
IMG_0932 (Copy).JPG
We brought quite a lot of candy from here!
IMG_0934 (Copy).JPG
Sugary goodness.
IMG_0928 (Copy).JPG
Finally, a shout out to one of the best Arrow mine trains in the world - Thunderation!
IMG_0944 (Copy).JPG
It's a shame the park doesn't run some of the cars backwards like they used to, but this is still a great ride. It picks up some really good speed, and even has (gasp!) airtime.
IMG_1180 (Copy).JPG
Thanks Silver Dollar City for a truly wonderful day!
Last edited by mattnz on Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:06 am.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby beatle11 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:55 am

They gave us awesome gift bags too! Best park I've ever been too. Just beating out Knoebel's.

254676_10153102426280644_1044979452_n.jpg

Counselor Neil

Postby televisedconfession » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:00 am

I love this park so much
image.jpg
That's some manliness right there
-Neil or no Deal

Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/8edb82c78b6d77e5bd773746c455c1ca.jpg[/img][/url]

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby SuperShawn » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:14 am

^ Great shot of you guys :lmao:

SDC is easily one of my favorite parks now, great ride line up, and the food is just so delicious! Can't wait to go back one day.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive