Disney D23 Expo 2013

Day Three Posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Gelato isn't vegan?"

Disney D23 Expo 2013

Postby ILoveRides » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:30 am

The 2013 D23 Expo was just held on August 9-11 at the Anaheim Convention Center and TPR was there with David and Spears! The D23 Expo is billed as, “The Ultimate Disney Fan Event,” and it didn’t disappoint. There were new announcements, surprises, celebrities, and lots more. Check out our full report below:

Day 1 Coverage: Below!
Day 2 Coverage: Page 2
Day 3 Coverage: Page 4
001.JPG
Minnie Mouse Spears is dressed up and ready to go!
002.JPG
We kicked things off with the grand opening of the Phineas and Ferb Waffle-inator Challenge.
003.JPG
To celebrate, members of the press were greeted with a waffle breakfast.
004.JPG
And not just waffles...
005.JPG
There were all sorts of delicious treats.
006.JPG
Spears studied up on the Waffle-inator rules. Do not eat the waffles!
007.JPG
No Spears!!! Don’t eat it! Rules are rules.
008.JPG
Phineas and Ferb showed up and posed for photos.
009.JPG
Radio Disney host Jake Whetter greeted the crowd.
010.JPG
Jake then introduced the Waffle-inator. The goal of the Waffle-inator is to hit Doof with waffles to help Phineas and Ferb get to the top of the building and free Agent P. You can see the waffle shooting cannons in the bottom of this photo.
011.JPG
Jake introduced members of the cast and crew of "Phineas and Ferb" and "Marvel Universe," and everyone got ready to start shooting waffles.
012.JPG
The cast took turns launching waffles at the screen.
013.JPG
After they were waffled out, the cast posed for some press shots. From left to right: Vincent Martella - voice of Phineas; Alyson Stoner - voice of Isabella; Dan Povenmire - co-creator, executive producer, and voice of Doofenshmirtz; Jeff “Swampy” Marsh - co-creator, executive producer, and voice of Major Monogram; Jake Whetter - Radio Disney host; Fred Tatasciore - voice of Hulk; Travis Willingham - voice of Thor; Adrian Pasdar - voice of Iron Man; and Drake Bell - voice of Spider Man.
014.JPG
Spider Man and Iron Man joined in on the fun.
015.JPG
Spears hobnobbed with all the celebrities.
016.JPG
Here’s Spears with Alyson Stoner.
017.JPG
After our waffle-tastic intro to D23, we headed inside for the Walt Disney Animation presentation. Bob Iger, CEO of Disney, welcomed everyone to D23. Photography wasn’t allowed during this presentation, so the photos from this presentation are courtesy of Disney.
018.JPG
Pixar showed off the first 10 minutes of “Toy Story OF TERROR!” - premiering Oct. 16, 2013 on ABC. They also gave a peek at “The Good Dinosaur” (May 13, 2014) and showed the “Party Central” short that will precede the movie. Additionally they gave a first look at “Inside Out” (June 19, 2015) and “Finding Dory” (Nov 25, 2015). Walt Disney Animation Studios showed off “Frozen” (Nov. 27, 2013), and the short “Get A Horse!” that will precede it. The Animation Studios also gave a first look at “Big Hero 6” (Nov. 7, 2014), and Zootopia (2016). Disneytoon Studios gave first looks at “The Pirate Fairy” (Spring 2014) , “Planes: Fire & Rescue” (July 18, 2014), and “Legend of the NeverBeast” (Spring 2015).
019.JPG
There were lots of surprise guests and celebrities during the presentation. Bill Hader and Phyllis Smith, pictured here, came on stage to introduce their characters in Pixar’s “Inside Out.” Hader will play the emotion of fear, and Smith will play the emotion of sadness.
020.JPG
Kristen Bell, Tom Hiddleston, and many others also made appearances.
021.JPG
After the animation presentation we headed to Stage 28 for Marty Sklar’s “Dream It! Do It!” panel. For those who don’t know, Marty Sklar is a famous Imagineer and Disney Legend who worked with The Walt Disney Company for 54 years. His new book, “Dream It! Do it!: My Half-Century Creating Disney’s Magic Kingdoms” was just released.
022.JPG
Marty offered some insight into his life and his process writing the book. He also went over ten guidelines to theme park design called, “Mickey’s 10 Commandments.” Just for kicks, here they are: 1. Know your audience 2. Wear your guest’s shoes 3. Organize the flow of people and ideas 4. Create a weenie 5. Communicate with visual literacy 6. Avoid overload 7. Tell one story at a time 8. Avoid contradiction 9. For every ounce of treatment, provide a ton of treat 10. Keep it up
023.JPG
One of the cool things about the D23 Expo is you never know who you’ll bump into. On the way out of the theater we said hi to Disney Legend Bob Gurr.
024.JPG
Next up we checked out the silent auction. Shhhhhhhh!
025.JPG
There were all sorts of neat Disney items for auction.
026.JPG
I remember these!
027.JPG
Who wants a Mufasa or Sarabi figure in their home?
028.JPG
Or how about an authentic Disneyland Park sign? How cool is that?
029.JPG
We headed down the escalator to check out the rest of the auction items on the main floor. Guests are encouraged to wear costumes, and plenty did! This Jack Skellington costume was one of my favorites.
030.JPG
In the main hall there were more items being auctioned like this car from DCA’s Monsters Inc. ride.
031.JPG
This romantic Mickey and Minnie bench was under $1,000 when we were there on Friday. (Although I’m sure the price went up by Sunday!)
032.JPG
Okay, I KNOW some TPR members would love to have these authentic Matterhorn Bobsleds. I know I do! The bidding was already at $12,000 when we saw them on Friday. I wonder what they ended up selling for?
033.JPG
There’s no shortage of shopping at The D23 Expo.
034.JPG
Disney art, sculptures, pins, and more were all on sale. Look at all those pins!
035.JPG
You could even purchase a giant Sully if you were so inclined.
036.JPG
That must’ve taken awhile to make!
037.JPG
Throughout the convention floor there was always something going on wherever you looked. There was plenty of entertainment throughout the day - everything from yo-yo performances to dancers. Here’s Magician Todd Migliacci entertaining crowds.
038.JPG
We caught the tail end of the costume contest, and got to see lots of elaborate costumes.
039.JPG
Hi Buzz!
040.JPG
I loved how intricate everyone’s costumes were.
041.JPG
5 winners were awarded special bronze statues. Here’s one of the winners!
042.JPG
A close-up of the statue.
043.JPG
Lets check out more of the convention floor. Throughout the hall there were plenty of give-aways and raffles. We saw bags and pins being given out, and nicer items being raffled off.
044.JPG
At this Cars Land inspired booth you could purchase Disneyland tickets. I think Spears makes a good Mater.
045.JPG
If you haven’t visited Cars Land yet, you should! It’s awesome!
046.JPG
The Build-A-Bear booth had some photo ops available.
047.JPG
Artist Kristen Cumings was creating this delicious looking painting out of jelly beans at the Jelly Belly booth.
048.JPG
Huffy had some cool limited edition Mickey and Minnie cruiser bikes for sale.
049.JPG
There was a play area set up with foam blocks and parts for kids to build things.
050.JPG
Being kids at heart, we of course went in and played.
051.JPG
Here’s Spears striking a 100% Official Manly Pose.
052.JPG
There were Planes and Cars toys on Display. They were all either previously in stores, currently in stores, or soon-to-be in stores.
053.JPG
Spears liked the strawberry car with pink headlights.
054.JPG
My favorite toy was the Lightyear blimp.
055.JPG
A “Draw Your Favorite Muppet” area was set up. There were papers that taught you how to draw different muppets, and once you honed your skills you could draw one on the chalkboard wall.
056.JPG
I was surprised how good all the drawings were.
057.JPG
Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate’s life for Spears!
058.JPG
Spears is nurse for a day with Doc McStuffins.
059.JPG
I have no idea what’s going on here.
060.JPG
If the glove doesn’t fit, you must acquit.
061.JPG
Disney Consumer Products was teaching guests how to draw various different Disney characters.
062.JPG
We ran into famous cosplayer and model LeeAnna Vamp while wandering around.
063.JPG
The “best in show” costume contest winners were posing with Darth Vader and a Storm Trooper.
064.JPG
There was a Star Wars display with various figures and toys. I’m excited to see what Disney will do with the Star Wars franchise in the coming years.
065.JPG
Minnie Spears and Minnie Mouse decided to hang out.
066.JPG
After checking out the convention floor we headed upstairs for the “Broadway and Beyond” show.
067.JPG
It was a full house!
068.JPG
Host Thomas Schumacher introduced music from various Disney Broadway shows, and five of Disney’s biggest broadway stars performed the songs over a live band.
069.JPG
There were songs from lots of Disney plays including Beauty and the Beast, Tarzan, Aladdin, Mary Poppins, Newsies, and more!
070.JPG
From left to right are Disney Broadway stars Ashley Brown (Mary Poppins and Beauty and the Beast), Merle Dandridge (Tarzan and Aida), Heidi Blickenstaff (The Little Mermaid), and Alton Fitzgerald White (The Lion King).
071.JPG
And here’s the fifth performer, Josh Strickland (Tarzan).
072.JPG
The performances were incredible. You could really see and hear why these performers were on Broadway. They were some of the best singers I’ve ever heard live.
073.JPG
As an added bonus, famous Disney musician Richard Sherman (pictured) was sitting just a few seats down from us. As were Disney musician Alan Menken and Holly Madison of Playboy fame.
074.JPG
Ashley Brown gave a performance of “Feed The Birds” from Mary Poppins that garnered a well-deserved standing ovation.
075.JPG
TPR loves Newsies!
076.JPG
This show was the highlight of the day for me. It made me want to go see every Disney Broadway show.
077.JPG
On the way out Holly Madison posed for a picture with Spears!
078.JPG
As we left the parking structure we kept asking ourselves, “WHY does the fun have to end?” Then we decided - it doesn’t! We headed over to Trader Sam’s for the Tiki Luau D23 Expo After Party.
079.JPG
Just for the D23 Expo, Trader Sam’s expanded its footprint onto the Frontier and Adventure towers’ lawn areas.
080.JPG
Polynesian dancers performed while guests mingled, drank, and dined under the stars.
081.JPG
We ran into one more of the costume contest winners at the after party. Her dress had so much detail! There were Disney heroes on the left side and Disney villains on the right side. Can you find the Yeti?
082.JPG
There were bars and tables set up all over the lawn, and along with a full drink selection was a special punch (available in both alcoholic and non-alcoholic form) available for purchase - it was really good!
083.JPG
The Polynesian dancers and music were a great touch.
084.JPG
After a long day at the convention, it was nice to just kick back and relax at Trader Sam’s.
085.JPG
That’s it for day one of the D23 Expo. Thanks for checking out our trip report! Don’t forget to check out part 2 on page 2 of this thread - there are lots more fun surprises in store!
Last edited by ILoveRides on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:28 pm.

Young and Stupid! I blame my parents.

Re: Disney D23 Expo 2013

Postby SoCalCoasters » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:47 am

I see you ran into my friend Milana at Trader Sam's! Her costume was absolutely gorgeous, and I was ecstatic when I saw that she'd won best original design!

Bummed I had to miss out on the event this year. Maybe I'll make it next time around.
TPR's Biggest Legoland Nerd, and proud!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:29 am

I've always wondered what one would do with something like an old Matterhorn bobsled. Build your own Matterhorn, perhaps?

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:27 am

Ahhhhhh Adrian Pasdar!~ I looooooved Heroes. Before the writers strike. Nice to see him.

and Drake Bell. Who didn't love Drake and Josh.
{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

Fabulously FIERCE!

Postby DenDen » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:32 am

cfc wrote:I've always wondered what one would do with something like an old Matterhorn bobsled. Build your own Matterhorn, perhaps?

Lounge chairs in an awesome theater room.
"To the floor! The only thing that will hold you up when nobody else will!"

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:42 am

Was there an explanation for number four of Mickey's 10 commandments?

4. Create a weenie

Young and Stupid! I blame my parents.

Postby SoCalCoasters » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:46 am

gisco wrote:Was there an explanation for number four of Mickey's 10 commandments?

4. Create a weenie

www.blueskydisney.com/2007/11/all-disneys-weenies.html

A "Weenie" is a visual icon in a Disney theme park that draws in guests.
TPR's Biggest Legoland Nerd, and proud!

"Gelato isn't vegan?"

Postby ILoveRides » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:01 pm

^^ I knew someone was going to ask that!

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:21 pm

ILoveRides wrote:^^ I knew someone was going to ask that!

I'm not a fanboy, I didn't know! :lmao:

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby ahhculdee » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:40 pm

Guardians of the Galaxy footage from D23 is the most amazing thing ever!
Park Count: 3 I Coaster Count:35 Wood:7 Steel:25 Hybrid/Other:3
Enjoying life!

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!