Photo TR: Great Escape 7/20 and 7/21/13

A Great Two Days at the Great Escape
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Photo TR: Great Escape 7/20 and 7/21/13

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:11 pm

This past weekend, I spent two days at the Great Escape. Despite being a Six Flags property, the park still maintains a good deal of its original charm and is a very nice park to visit. While the Comet may be the park's only exceptional coaster, the rest of the park has a good collection of flats and some decent coasters. Then the water park is one of my favorites anywhere.

On Saturday, the park wasn't that busy. The forecast originally called for bad thunderstorms, but both the storms and the crowds stayed away. My longest waits were related to capacity and loading rather than lines. I waited about 20 minutes for Blizzard.

But the worst wait was 30 minutes for the new Cliffhanger water slide when there was just 15 people ahead of me. An aqua pod speed slide, the employee at the top of the slide would weigh every rider and then spend a minute explaining the proper riding position and safety. I understand the importance for rider safety, but I think a poster or audio would greatly expedite the loading process because the expected hourly capacity at this rate would be just 30 riders. The slide itself was amazing and a major thrill. The drop was incredibly suspenseful and intense and most importantly, it was surprisingly smooth and comfortable.

On Sunday, lines were considerably longer as the weather was beautiful. I didn't have too much time in the park since I had to get on the road by the early afternoon, but I was able to get several rides in on the Comet, which is still one of my favorite coasters anywhere. The coaster has impeccable pacing. Every hill provides air-time and the ride also mixes in some very strong laterals, especially on the first and final turnarounds.
Great Escape Sign.jpg
I think I'm at the Great Escape.
Sasquatch.jpg
Sasquatch is a pretty good S&S tower that gives some great views of the beautiful Adirondack Mountains and Lake George. I prefer the drop side myself for the better views and thrills.
Comet Lift.jpg
The Comet is easily the park's star attraction and is what really put the Great Escape on the map for coaster enthusiasts.
Comet First Drop.jpg
The first drop really packs a wallop. Unlike most coasters where the lift slows down as the train approaches the apex, the Comet's train speeds up. I don't know of any other coaster that does that.
Comet Turnaround.jpg
The Comet's turnarounds provide some really strong laterals.
Comet Air-Time Hill.jpg
There is air-time on every hill.
Comet Finale.jpg
Even during the final hills, the Comet is still flying through the course.
Comet Brake Run.jpg
Despite being the park's most popular attraction, it has some of the shortest waits in the entire park thanks to speedy two-train operations.
Alpine Bobsled Sign.jpg
The Alpine Bobsled is one of three remaining Intamin bobsleds.
Alpine Bobsled First Drop.jpg
I was happy to grab two rides on the Bobsled. It doesn't operate past 6 PM and has a really low capacity.
Alpine Bobsled Canada.jpg
Oh Canada!
Alpine Bobsled Through the Trees.jpg
The best photos of the Bobsled can be grabbed in its queue line.
Alpine Bobsled Turn.jpg
During two of the turns, the Bobsled momentarily left the track which was really unexpected and thrilling.
Boomerang Lift.jpg
Great Escape is home to my favorite Boomerang.
Boomerang Cobra Roll.jpg
It's glass-smooth from start to finish while maintaining its trademark intensity.
Steamin' Demon from the Parking Lot.jpg
The Steamin' Demon is the first coaster one sees when they approach the Great Escape.
Steamin' Demon Drop.jpg
I enjoy Canobie's Corkscrew; however, this Arrow was considerably rougher.
Steamin' Demon Loop.jpg
The first drop provides the trademark Arrow ejector air and the following loop is quite forceful.
Steamin' Demon Turn.jpg
But the ride goes downhill from there.
Steamin' Demon Corkscrew.jpg
The corkscrews were filled with jackhammering and were very uncomfortable.
Steamin' Demon Sign.jpg
Oops, I almost forgot the ride's sign.
Alpine Freefall.jpg
Splashwater Kingdom, the park's attached water park, is one of my favorites. They have a great collection of slides, highlighted by the Alpine Freefall slide complex which opened last year.
Cliffhanger.jpg
Cliffhanger was outstanding. It was my first drop pod water slide. Unlike most rides, I was genuinely afraid before my first ride on this one.
Screamin' Eagles Sign.jpg
New for 2013 is the Screamin' Eagles.
Screamin' Eagles Location.jpg
It has a very nice location next to a stream.
Screamin' Eagles.jpg
The range of movement on these scooters was excellent. While I wasn't able to snap them, I saw one or two people snap them.
Condor.jpg
Huss Condors are relatively rare, but I really enjoy them. This one isn't as fast as the others I've been on, but the views at the top of this one are superior.
Sky Ride.jpg
I've never been on the park's Sky Ride, but it travels through a good portion of the front of the park.
Grand Carousel.jpg
The park's Grand Carousel is a modern, fiberglass carousel but it looks really nice.
Castle.jpg
While the pumpkin coach no longer runs, the castle still adds a nice feel to the park.
Canyon Blaster.jpg
This is the only picture of Canyon Blaster that I got. In past years I've found it boring, but this year they reversed the back three cars and it made a major difference. It's far more enjoyable now.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Photo TR: Great Escape 7/20 and 7/21/13

Postby The49er » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:43 pm

Nice TR! Maybe someday I'll have to check that place out.
Last Park: CP / Last Credit: Blue Streak lol / Credit Count: 70
Top 5 Wood: SCBB Giant Dipper, Gold Striker, GhostRider pre-refurb, Blue Streak, CGA Grizzly
Top 5 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, X2, Millennium Force, Tatsu

Next Park: ?
Next Credit: ?

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Metsfan0618 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:57 pm

Ah, based on your description, they must not have been running the intense program on Condor. They started it a year or two ago and usually run it. Weird they weren't. The cycle usually goes at a medium speed up and down the tower and then when it reaches the top, the arms stop and just the cars spin at top speed to the point where you're almost graying out. Other than that, Nice TR!

I don't always seduce Donkeys, but when I do I use classy Champagne!

Postby _koppen » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:38 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:Image

I always thought that was a beautiful complex.
Proslide skyboxes are insanely awesome, and this one looks pretty tall.

The Kraken-racer mat slide is probably my most wanted water slide to try.
How is it? Is it as good as it looks?

Which would you prefer of it and a regular mat racer with bumps?
No. 1 Water Park guy!
The Megalite is *the* roller coaster of the world! (after finally riding Expedition Geforce I'll admit it was pretty awesome as well!)

Postby Metsfan0618 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:13 pm

Cliffhanger is 65ft. despite its 60ft. height listing. I too agree skyboxes are awesome. I was actually scared to try Cliffhanger last year.

As for Twisted Racer (mat racer) I think I was expecting more. It's very short (obviously to be expected) but still very fun. The 1st portion is pitch black and somewhat disorienting and the drop into the finish line provides a nice almost weightless feeling. I prefer a Twisted Racer style slide over the regular bump one just because of the dark section.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:00 pm

Metsfan0618 wrote:Ah, based on your description, they must not have been running the intense program on Condor. They started it a year or two ago and usually run it. Weird they weren't. The cycle usually goes at a medium speed up and down the tower and then when it reaches the top, the arms stop and just the cars spin at top speed to the point where you're almost graying out. Other than that, Nice TR!

That describes the cycle that I got on Hersheypark's Flying Falcon. Condor didn't stop at the top when I rode it.

_koppen wrote:I always thought that was a beautiful complex.
Proslide skyboxes are insanely awesome, and this one looks pretty tall.

The Kraken-racer mat slide is probably my most wanted water slide to try.
How is it? Is it as good as it looks?

Which would you prefer of it and a regular mat racer with bumps?

I personally prefer the mat racer with bumps the whole way down. The enclosed and twisted section is fun, but I prefer the bumps the whole way down, especially since more speed is built up. I did see two people on the outside lane gain enough speed that their mat flipped upside down when exiting the enclosed section.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan

Postby Metsfan0618 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:04 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:I did see two people on the outside lane gain enough speed that their mat flipped upside down when exiting the enclosed section.

Funny you should mention that. My brother was on the outside lane last year and upon exiting the enclosed section, he almost did the same. He said it was scary and he went up the wall pretty far.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:29 pm

The two guys I saw flip came off laughing thankfully. I didn't get a chance to try the outside lane personally.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby wildcatroc » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:57 am

I visited Great Escape at the end of June and the park was great as always. I've never stepped off of a Condor feeling sick before but this one did it! I never knew that they could be run with such intensity. I also really loved Blizzard... they ran that scrambler with a lot of intensity as well. The only thing that was disappointing was the Musik Express... without any music.

Canobie Coaster wrote:
Metsfan0618 wrote:Ah, based on your description, they must not have been running the intense program on Condor. They started it a year or two ago and usually run it. Weird they weren't. The cycle usually goes at a medium speed up and down the tower and then when it reaches the top, the arms stop and just the cars spin at top speed to the point where you're almost graying out. Other than that, Nice TR!

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby 3Mutts » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:16 pm

Glad to see you enjoyed my home park, I agree that the Comet is the main reason for going to the park.
Coaster Count: 142 total 94 steel 48 wood
Favorite Steel Coaster: Skyrush at Hershey Park
Favorite Wood Coaster: A tie between The Voyage at Holiday World and T Express at Everland
I'm posting from a IPad so I can't enable pics/video

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!