Canobie Lake Park Photo TR: 5/4/13

Great day at traditional NH park
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Canobie Lake Park Photo TR: 5/4/13

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:37 am

I didn't get around to posting this until now, but about a month and a half ago I made my annual trip to my favorite park in New England, Canobie Lake Park. While Six Flags may have more roller coasters and Lake Compounce may be more well known, I just love the atmosphere at Canobie. The entire park is well shaded and the park looks fantastic! Also, I would like to give a shout out to the employees. They are the friendliest employees that I have encountered at any amusement park and they were energetic from opening until closing.

Unfortunately, the park's newest ride, the Equinox, was closed during my visit. I didn't see any maintenance workers by the attraction all day. I was really looking forward to giving this ride a whirl, but nonetheless I had an amazing day. Crowds were very light as the longest wait I had was 10 minutes for Star Blaster the Yankee Cannonball towards the end of the day.
Yankee Cannonball Turn Around copy.jpg
The Yankee Cannonball is the park's signature attraction. It's hard to get good photos of this coaster from inside the park as it runs along the perimeter of the employee parking lot.
Yankee Cannonball Air Time Hill copy.jpg
Despite its age, the Yankee Cannonball is extremely smooth. It's one of my favorite coasters anywhere as almost all of the hills give really good air-time from start to finish.
Untamed Drop copy.jpg
Untamed gives Canobie a strong 1-2 coaster punch.
Untamed Helix copy.jpg
I really like how the park painted the supports to resemble birch trees. Its touches like this that make Canobie special in my opinion.
Untamed Drop in the Sun copy.jpg
The beyond vertical plunge packs a mighty wallop. It's one of my favorite drops anywhere and provides major ejector air.
Untamed from the Sky Ride copy.jpg
Canobie themed the entire area of the attraction extremely well. It looks a lot better than it did when the old USA Mission simulator was there.
Corkscrew copy.jpg
Not to be forgotten is Canobie's other major coaster, the Corkscrew. It was just painted blue this past offseason and looks fantastic. Maybe it's just me, but this is a really smooth Arrow looper and there is no head-banging during the corkscrews.
Star Blaster Pre-Launch copy.jpg
Star Blaster is a S&S double shot. I highly recommend riding on the side facing the lake.
Star Blaster Whole Tower copy.jpg
While small in stature, this is easily one of my favorite drop towers anywhere. The ejector air at the apex is outstanding.
Star Blaster Compression Tank copy.jpg
Star Blaster's compression tank is very well hidden. It's housed inside this building, which can be seen during a ride on the nearby Antique Cars.
Sky Ride copy.jpg
Canobie's Sky Ride provides some really good pictures of the far side of the park.
Skater copy.jpg
The Skater is perfect family ride. I do miss the old Paratrooper that resided in this spot though.
Da Vinci's Dream from the Sky Ride copy.jpg
Da Vinci's Dream is one of my favorite swing rides anywhere. This one seems to be run noticeably faster and has a nice setting near the lake. Sadly the cycle was really short this year.
Da Vinci's Dream Entrance copy.jpg
Da Vinci's entire area is very well themed.
Over the Rainbow copy.jpg
Over the Rainbow may look innocent, but this ride can have teeth. The balloons are extremely easy to spin and can result in one of the most dizzying experiences anywhere.
Canobie 500 copy.jpg
Canobie boasts two car rides. Of the two, I prefer this one, the Canobie 500. However, I could see the park removing one of the car rides in the future to free up room for another major attraction.
Log Flume Station copy.jpg
Canobie Village has a great atmosphere. It's the shadiest area of the park and is home to two of the parks three water rides.
Log Flume Teepee copy.jpg
Their flume is one of the best anywhere. It has a great layout and features two drops.
Log Flume Drop copy.jpg
The final plunge was rehabbed this past off-season and had the track replaced.
Log Flume Splash copy.jpg
Of the two drops, the first plunge is far wetter.
Popcorn Stand copy.jpg
And no Canobie trip report is complete without the Roller Coaster Tycoon-inspired food stands.
Burger copy.jpg
Must resist urge to take burger!
Funnel Cakes copy.jpg
As a whole, I really like Canobie's food offerings. It's some of the best theme park food anywhere in my opinion. My favorite is the Portofino restaurant.
Canobie Parking Lot copy.jpg
More flags, more fun!
Canobie Overview copy.jpg
If you're in New England and a fan of traditional parks, definitely make a stop at Canobie Lake Park and you won't be disappointed.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Galaxyland & World Waterpark

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Re: Canobie Lake Park Photo TR: 5/4/13

Postby DanM64 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:08 pm

Nice pictures. Canobie looks like a really nice park!! I hope to do a bunch in the NE area in the next few years.

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:03 am

NIce pictures. Haven't seen much from this park in a while.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:53 am

Thanks.

Canobie always seems to have a new addition every year so it's good to check up on them. Along with the Equinox, the Corkscrew is rumored to be getting new trains at some point this season.
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby Wingwright » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:06 am

Nice pictures! This park popped onto my radar when Untamed was built.

Also, I just finished reading Joyland by Stephen King (loosely modeled after Canobie), so seeing these pictures was really fun.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:59 am

I definitely plan on reading Joyland sometime in the near future. It will be interesting to see how much of the book was inspired by Canobie.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby ragged#1 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:06 pm

Nice report.

I will be at the park tomorrow night.

The new trains are rumored to be on the ride.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:12 pm

Let me know if you spot the new trains tomorrow. I'm interested to see how different they are.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby PalmTree55 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:30 pm

Great TR, Canobie looks like a great little park. I hope to get up there some day...

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!