Robb Alvey's "World's Coolest Coasters" Travel Channel Blog

My latest article...
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Robb Alvey's "World's Coolest Coasters" Travel Channel B

Postby cfc » Mon May 13, 2013 6:07 am

AusCoasterFan wrote:^^Maybe it's just me. I'm actually bigger fan of Arkham Asylum: Shock Therapy (A Vekoma SLC with the "bonus helix") so perhaps I have a strange taste in coasters! I just feel Superman could have been a little longer as it doesn't quite have enough speed to be as short as it is. I do agree with the in-the-dark section. I think that themes the ride really well. Superman also offers some quality airtime

Arkham Asylum does look like a step up from the ride's "Lethal Weapon" days. Superman Escape is an excellent example of how theming can make an already good coaster much better (as is Movie World's Scooby Doo ride).

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Mon May 13, 2013 6:25 am

Great list, the only one that surprised me was Dauling Dragons. Other than the TPR China trip I've heard very little about that thing but it does look awesome.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby DougMJr » Mon May 13, 2013 6:32 am

It was an enjoyable list! I am usually not a fan of slideshow layout type articles, but aside from that it is refreshing to see top coaster list from someone who has had a taste of pretty much every type of coaster out there.

I hope that this is just the beginning and that the travel channel allows you to dive deeper into theme park related articles for their site. I'm not sure if you need new ideas but one that came to my mind for a future article is "Ten Things to do in Orlando besides Disney and Universal." That might be right up your alley!

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby PalmTree55 » Mon May 13, 2013 7:22 am

GigaG wrote:
robbalvey wrote:
GigaG wrote:It started off good, but then kinda went weird. Kumba? I wasn't expecting that. And where's the love for Maverick? Unfortunately, I've only been on one of these (I305) when the trims were on. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get the El Toro and Bizarro credits soon, though.

Where's the love for Maverick is quite simply there are better roller coasters in other places of the world. Had I only been in a few hundred coasters, most of them in the USA, sure, Maverick would be on that list. But I've been on 1,500 across the planet, and as much as Maverick may be one of my faves in the USA, it just didn't quite crack that list.

Oh, and if you've never been on Kumba, why are you judging my selection of it?

I just felt like it started like an average list, but Kumba over other old generation B&Ms? Again, tending to be an airtime rather than inversions lover, I'll criticize moves like this.

Kumba is one of the older B&M coasters out there. Also, it is without a doubt the best multi-looping coaster I have ever been on. By the way, great article Robb!

Beer Man

Postby mcjaco » Mon May 13, 2013 7:23 am

What, no Prowler????

:p

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby peytonsgirl83 » Mon May 13, 2013 7:25 am

This is a great list! I love that there were so many wooden ones on there. Man I want your job! :)

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby BugEyed » Mon May 13, 2013 8:24 am

An enjoyable read with particularly excellent timing. I've been planning, scheduling and booking my summer 2013 coaster trip the last few days. Robb, your article was enough to make me lockdown the side trek to Knoebels I'd been seesawing about. Thank you.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby Dinnwitted » Mon May 13, 2013 8:28 am

Great list there Robb! What are 16-25 on the list?

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby Rai Fox » Mon May 13, 2013 8:40 am

BugEyed wrote:An enjoyable read with particularly excellent timing. I've been planning, scheduling and booking my summer 2013 coaster trip the last few days. Robb, your article was enough to make me lockdown the side trek to Knoebels I'd been seesawing about. Thank you.

You can not possibly regret a trip to Knoebels.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon May 13, 2013 8:42 am

mcjaco wrote:What, no Prowler????

:p

Stone the blasphemer! :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!