TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Robb Alvey's "World's Coolest Coasters" Travel Channel Blog

Some of you may know that I've been doing some work for Travel Channel including being on shows like "Insane Coaster Wars", but I've also been writing a few articles for their website and blog. The latest of which featured 15 of the "World's Coolest Roller Coasters."

Here's the article: http://www.travelchannel.com/interests/family/photos/worlds-coolest-roller-coasters

Please be sure to click the "LIKE" or "TWEET" icon on the first image! Would love to get everyone's support on this article!

Enjoy!

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It started off good, but then kinda went weird. Kumba? I wasn't expecting that. And where's the love for Maverick? Unfortunately, I've only been on one of these (I305) when the trims were on. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get the El Toro and Bizarro credits soon, though.

Outstanding article! I like articles like these, ones that give a quick glance to a number of top tier coasters all over the world. This is very well written and features a better selection than almost all the other similar articles I've read. It sounds almost like it could be your top fifteen list, and if the few I've been on are anything to go by that is an outstanding list.

It started off good, but then kinda went weird. Kumba? I wasn't expecting that. And where's the love for Maverick? Unfortunately, I've only been on one of these (I305) when the trims were on. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get the El Toro and Bizarro credits soon, though.

Where's the love for Maverick is quite simply there are better roller coasters in other places of the world. Had I only been in a few hundred coasters, most of them in the USA, sure, Maverick would be on that list. But I've been on 1,500 across the planet, and as much as Maverick may be one of my faves in the USA, it just didn't quite crack that list.

Oh, and if you've never been on Kumba, why are you judging my selection of it?

Edited by robbalvey

Go ride Kumba sometime and you'll understand why it was given more love than Maverick.

Nice article, the first "best coasters" article I've ever seen with coasters that are deserving of being on the list instead of the usual crap in most lists (*cough* Kingda Ka, Millennium Force *cough*).

I've currently ridden 2 of the 15 (Nemesis and Superman Escape) but will soon be riding iSpeed and Expedition GeForce.

Awesome article! I've always liked 'top 10' type articles. I am really surprised Superman Escape is on there, but very happy! It is my local coaster and I love it, but I am truly surprised that someone who's been on over 1,500 rollercoasters world wide would put Superman Escape in their top 20! I guess I need to start appreciating the ride more... Or did you include it purely because it gave greater variety to the list so it would be appealing to a wider audience? Say, for someone reading in Australia who may not be able to afford a trip to America or Europe.

Where's the love for Maverick is quite simply there are better roller coasters in other places of the world. Had I only been in a few hundred coasters, most of them in the USA, sure, Maverick would be on that list. But I've been on 1,500 across the planet, and as much as Maverick may be one of my faves in the USA, it just didn't quite crack that list.

I just felt like it started like an average list, but Kumba over other old generation B&Ms? Again, tending to be an airtime rather than inversions lover, I'll criticize moves like this.

^I think you Australians tend to underrate your home offerings a bit. Superman Escape is an excellent ride--the dark-ride section is nicely done, and the coaster itself is like a launched Mega-Lite.

I really can't argue much with this list, and I'm looking forward to picking up those coasters I haven't yet ridden (such as Kawasemi).

Edited by cfc

^^Maybe it's just me. I'm actually bigger fan of Arkham Asylum: Shock Therapy (A Vekoma SLC with the "bonus helix") so perhaps I have a strange taste in coasters! I just feel Superman could have been a little longer as it doesn't quite have enough speed to be as short as it is. I do agree with the in-the-dark section. I think that themes the ride really well. Superman also offers some quality airtime

I'm glad to see Kumba on there, myself; it's still one of my absolute favorites. Two decades have done nothing to make that coaster any less amazing. There might be bigger and faster now, but Kumba still has one of the best layouts ever built, IMO, and it still keeps up with any 300 foot monster coaster. Plus, it's always going to get special mention just for being one of the coasters that did so much to revive an industry that hadn't gone anywhere in nearly two decades before it was built.

^^Maybe it's just me. I'm actually bigger fan of Arkham Asylum: Shock Therapy (A Vekoma SLC with the "bonus helix") so perhaps I have a strange taste in coasters! I just feel Superman could have been a little longer as it doesn't quite have enough speed to be as short as it is. I do agree with the in-the-dark section. I think that themes the ride really well. Superman also offers some quality airtime

Arkham Asylum does look like a step up from the ride's "Lethal Weapon" days. Superman Escape is an excellent example of how theming can make an already good coaster much better (as is Movie World's Scooby Doo ride).

It was an enjoyable list! I am usually not a fan of slideshow layout type articles, but aside from that it is refreshing to see top coaster list from someone who has had a taste of pretty much every type of coaster out there.

I hope that this is just the beginning and that the travel channel allows you to dive deeper into theme park related articles for their site. I'm not sure if you need new ideas but one that came to my mind for a future article is "Ten Things to do in Orlando besides Disney and Universal." That might be right up your alley!

I just felt like it started like an average list, but Kumba over other old generation B&Ms? Again, tending to be an airtime rather than inversions lover, I'll criticize moves like this.

Kumba is one of the older B&M coasters out there. Also, it is without a doubt the best multi-looping coaster I have ever been on. By the way, great article Robb!