The Amazing Adventures of Voxelmatic [Photo TR]

Universal Studios Hollywood!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I annoy the Title Fairy every other week!

The Amazing Adventures of Voxelmatic [Photo TR]

Postby Voxelmatic » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:34 pm

Table of Contents:
3/24/13: Six Flags America (See below)
7/6/13: Universal Studios Hollywood

SIX FLAGS AMERICA OPENING WEEKEND

Hey TPR folks! This is my first trip report. I hope you guys enjoy it!

So, on my first weekend of Spring Break, I decided to head down to Six Flags America. It was empty, which was disappointing and good at the same time! I went first thing to get my pass processed for the year, expecting a huge line. But, lo and behold, there was practically nobody! So, passes processed and all, I went into the park. It was very, very, very cold. Even Batman had an extra layer on!

Using my Gold pass, I went back to Gotham immediately to see if anything was open. Unfortunately, nothing was! The ride operator on Riddle Me This said all the coasters would be up by around 1:00. I hoped they were right, because only flats were open at the time. Then, in the freezing weather, I turned around and saw people riding Blizzard River. Why was it even open? Oh well, that's Six Flags for you.

Luckily, ROAR opened at around 12. Everyone in the park (which was about 100 people) ran to it, and of course, only one train was running. I rode front row, and I was expecting a terribly brutal ride. However, I got the opposite. It was running as smooth as Wild One usually did, and I even got some good air! Then, I saw Mind Eraser testing, so, reluctantly went over to ride that. I don't know what I was expecting, really. Maybe I thought it would be good for once? But...it sucked. It really sucked. I would rather re-ride Ninja then step on that again. Oh, well, at least it looks good.

Rides began opening up instantly after that. Wild One and Apocalypse were shortly followed by Joker and Batwing. Of course, there was still no sign of life from Superman. Since I still needed the credit, I went over to Apocalypse first. And all I can say about the theming was WOW. Six Flags did an excellent job on it, and even better, they kept Skull Mountain! I think there was supposed to be a Tesla coil in the dumpster, but it wasn't working. There was a little bit of a line, as everyone went there also. Because I had heard crappy reviews of it, I stuck to the front. It had a bit of a rattle going out of the station, which worried me. Now, I love standups, as Shockwave at Kings Dominion was fun for me. The lift had awesome music playing, which was a plus. Then, the first drop came, and I was honestly surprised. It wasn't giving me any problems with my head, although it had a little rattle. Then, the second half came. All I could say the entire time was ouch. It was almost as bad as Mind Eraser here. At least the fire effect was working. Although, for it's age, I thought it was really good, with bonus points for being B&Ms first coaster.

I then went over to Joker, only to find out it had shut down again. BOO! Batwing was running now, at least, so I went over to take a spin on that. It wasn't anything special, but I enjoy it more than the Superman clones. Then, I saw Joker back up. I prefer the outdoor versions to the indoor when it comes to Premier launchers, and this was no exception. Unlike Flight of Fear at Kings Dominion, this version doesn't have the near complete stop midway through the ride. That makes Joker vastly superior in my book. I rode that twice, and then went over to Wild One. It was running better than usual, almost ejector on every hill! I had time, and the operators were actually doing a good job, so I managed to get almost twenty rides in an hour and a half. It was awesome :b. But, after that, the ride got stuck on the brake run! So that de-comissioned it for the rest of the day.

Then, the best part of the day happened. Superman finally opened! This was the first time it would be open for the entire season, which was really awesome. However, it had a decent line, so I only got one ride on it. It was running really well! There was ejector on nearly every hill, so it was a really good ride. However, the blue train wasn't even on the transfer track. Weird.

That was the end of my day at Six Flags America. The park has really improved this year, with operations speeding up, employees going out of their way to make your day better, and just a great atmosphere compared to what it was before. The park really has improved, and I can't wait to see how the rest of the season goes!
10Goliath.JPG
Anyone know what ride this was in line for?
10WildOne1.JPG
But guess what has even more airtime?
11Mrshrooms.JPG
1-UP!
12Joker1.JPG
Back into Gotham, we have Joker's Jinx.
12Pengiun2.JPG
Wait...what? SFA can manage to open a water ride in near-freezing weather almost immediately, but it takes them almost three hours to get a SLC up and running? This park confuses me.
13Gotham.JPG
Gotham City: Conveniently located under your nearest big wooden coaster.
14Joker2.JPG
It's the love child of Hulk and Rock N' Roller Coaster.
1Entrance.JPG
Welcome to Six Flags America!
2Mainstreet.JPG
The Main Street of SFA. You have to admit, it does look pretty good!
3Awkwardlibertybell.JPG
I don't know what gave the builders of the park the genius idea to put the Liberty Bell in front of the restrooms. I really don't.
4Statue.JPG
"Hey, I'm getting hungry, wanna go grab a Twix bar?"
5FlyingCarousel.JPG
Flying Carousel is the park's chair swing, surprisingly with a name that doesn't involve chairs or swinging.
6ROAR1.JPG
ROAR was actually running really well today once it opened. Floater on every hill.
7NoBatman.JPG
No Batmobile out yet, boo!
8Apocalypse1.JPG
Moving back to Gotham, we have Iron Wol-ermm...Apocalypse.
8Penguin1.JPG
Oh well, it looks like Penguin won't be opening today!
9Apocalypse2.JPG
I loved the theming that Six Flags put on it, it made it seem brand new!
ASkullMountain.JPG
RAWR! I'M AN ANGRY SKULL MOUNTAIN, GIMME SOME PLANES!
BREAKDOWN.JPG
I swear, this ride is down more often than Batwing.
BatwingDrop.JPG
Much better than the other Vekoma crapfest over in Coyote Creek.
BeverageFail.JPG
Skull Island is actually a time machine that takes you back to 2012.
CCoverview.JPG
Speaking of SLCs, let's head over to Coyote Creek.
Cork.JPG
At least this coaster has the B&M roar to cover the screams of pain.
Entrance.JPG
It was an awesome day at Six Flags America. The park has really improved since I last went, and I should be returning multiple times this year.
JokerSign.JPG
And this is the entrance. Let's head to Batwing now, shall we?
LOOPDELOOP.JPG
LOOP DE LOOP!
LastPic.JPG
That's all, folks!
LookingGood.JPG
Believe it or not, this is still at a Six Flags park.
MEOpened.JPG
Oh, it's open now! That took long enough...
MichaelJacksonShop.JPG
Michael Jackson: The Store
Mind1.JPG
Although, as bad as SLCs are, you have to admit they're photogenic rides.
Mind2.JPG
See?
MindEraser1.JPG
It's not open yet? Not sure if I should be happy or upset...
Owowow.JPG
I can still hear the screams from that day...
PreLoop.JPG
Here we go...
SexLuthor.JPG
Daww...its a cute little Intamin...
SlideofSteel.JPG
Superman: Slide of Steel.
SuperWhistlestop.JPG
If we need to, we can always ride this Ferris Wheel.
Superdrop.JPG
What is this...? It's...
Superhill1.JPG
IT'S ALIVE!
Superhill2.JPG
And full of airtime too!
Superman1.JPG
It's a bird! It's a plane! It's...
SupermanLayout.JPG
Closed.
SuspendedTrash.JPG
One of the things in this picture is suspended garbage. The other is a trash can.
WildOneApoc.JPG
This is the view from Apocalypse's station.
WildOneLift.JPG
I would love to ride you...
WildOneStation.JPG
Wild One, the only old wooden coaster that's still smooth.
WildWood.JPG
You see? Its a big wooden coaster!
WildoneHelix.JPG
At least I can stare at this awesome helix in peace.
Last edited by Voxelmatic on Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:55 pm.
I'm probably TPR's biggest fan of Premier Rides.
I'm Batman.
I rode Skyrush before it was cool.
Check out my latest theme park adventure!

I know more about donkeys than women!

Re: The Amazing Adventures of Voxelmatic [Photo TR]

Postby ArundelHigh Coasters » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:40 pm

Nice TR and photos! Everything looked great. Did you notice the fresh paint on some of the Joker's Jinx supports?
Life is the most thrilling roller coaster in the world. Everyone rides life.
Like a Vekoma, life isn't always great. Life is the longest, slowest, and fastest coaster in the world.
Like any coaster, life has it's up's and downs. Ride life to the fullest every day, because you don't know when it'll be taken.

Postby Voxelmatic » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:43 pm

^Thanks! I saw the paint, and as awesome as a repaint would be on Joker, I think Batwing needs one much more.
I'm Batman.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby ArundelHigh Coasters » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:27 am

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I thought they'd paint Batwing before they'd paint anything else.
Life is the most thrilling roller coaster in the world. Everyone rides life.
Like a Vekoma, life isn't always great. Life is the longest, slowest, and fastest coaster in the world.
Like any coaster, life has it's up's and downs. Ride life to the fullest every day, because you don't know when it'll be taken.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby vacoaster09 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:33 am

One comment I want to make is that... Penguin's Blizzard River, won't get stuck because its cold... It just makes for an uncomfortable ride... hopefully no body in their right mind rode it... however, the coasters, have operating temperatures which (if too cold) cannot run for risk of stalling/valleying. Silver Dollar City had to keep most of their coasters (even outlaw run) around the same week because temps were too low. So its not un-common. The good news is, the temps rose enough for them to open all their coasters eventually.

I love the newly painted Looney Toons Sign.

If I could make a projection.... The park is not painting Batwing, and Will not Paint Batwing because it's probably being moved to a different park. Iron Wolf was never painted and it got moved. Flashback at SFOT had not been painted and it was moved... the only exception would be DeJaVu which had got a new paint job around when Terminator was build (I think) which isn't too far off. The way I see it, is why pour the money into a ride if its going to get moved. Although I love Batwing... I feel like the parks neglect of it is subliminally foreshadowing its future.... So I wonder who will get it.
Leviathan - "I am a B&M, I am clearly not the father. I305 is not my child."
Millennium Force - "Yes he is Maury... I am 100% sure"
Maury - "Leviathan ..... in the case of possessed juvenile I305 .... you are not the father!
Maverick - (giggles with guilty grin)"

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby Aceattack52 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:43 am

Batwing needs paint. Does it usually have a monster of a line like Nighthawk at Carowinds? At any time during the day, even at closing, Nighthawk as a 2-3 hour line. I would say it's not even that good, but another thing is that the operations for Nighthawk aren't so good, it takes almost 5 minutes to dispatch a train.

Postby Voxelmatic » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:04 am

^Operations aren't that bad on Batwing, but it's still a pretty slow moving line. The line was only about fifteen minutes though, a five train wait.
I'm Batman.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:14 pm

Sounds like the weather was opposite from what it was during my visit last year. We should've split the difference. :p

Also, I should've stopped to recall that GCIs are often front seat rides, as Roar was forgettable in the back.

Great report; totally brought back memories of my trip, but I enjoyed it anyway. ;)
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby necoastergp » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:32 pm

vacoaster09 wrote:One comment I want to make is that... Penguin's Blizzard River, won't get stuck because its cold... It just makes for an uncomfortable ride... hopefully no body in their right mind rode it... however, the coasters, have operating temperatures which (if too cold) cannot run for risk of stalling/valleying. Silver Dollar City had to keep most of their coasters (even outlaw run) around the same week because temps were too low. So its not un-common. The good news is, the temps rose enough for them to open all their coasters eventually.

If you look in the second pic of Penguin there are people in the raft, clearly not in their right mind as it looks absolutely frigid in those pics. The guy with the 1 up hat looked miserable.
Coasters: 106 (Steel:90 Wood:16) Parks:19

Postby Voxelmatic » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:38 am

necoastergp wrote: The guy with the 1 up hat looked miserable.

Oh, he wasn't, I just got a bad picture of him :/
I'm Batman.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!