NEWS: Knott's Soak City to become Aquatica San Diego

Page 7: Taumata Mat Racer Slides Announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: NEWS: Knott's Soak City to become Aquatica San Diego

Postby nighguy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:37 pm

This makes me wonder if this is the reason that the commersons dolphins have been backstage since manta started construction. We can only hope that aquatica San Diego will have commersons. Or at least something more than just flamingos like the concept art shows.

Young and Stupid! I blame my parents.

Postby SoCalCoasters » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:17 pm

^The Dolphins went backstage because the Rays needed a large temporary exhibit. They have three times as many Rays as they do Commerson Dolphins, so they could be placed in a smaller backstage tank. Now that Manta is open, I believe they have been put back in their tank by Atlantis. I'll check next time I go.

I hope we hear more soon one exactly what changes they will be making to the park. I can't imagine any slides will be taken out, but will we be seeing any kind of "signature" slide that they can market as a headliner? This acquisition has obviously been in the works for a while, so I wouldn't be surprised if we did see a new slide of some kind come spring.

I may try to do a little digging into the project to see if I can find out more on what exactly they plan to do.

Now, to address all this talk about "Busch Gardens Wild Animal Safari Park".... :|

The San Diego Zoo's Wild Animal Park (formerly The Wild Animal Park) is actually looking the best it ever has right now. They've drastically improved and remodeled several guady areas of the park, adding a Bat enclosure and a play gardens for families, and removing the eyesore upcharge portable motion simulator . Sure, the focus of the park has shifted to a variety of Upcharge experiences in addition to their normal lineup, but there's no reason to complain when their normal lineup is still 100x better than your average zoo.

I can't see SeaWorld Parks Entertainment looking to acquire this, mainly because the park operates on a Not For Profit basis. The park does tremendous amounts of animal research and development, and their African Plain area hold the very last Southern White Rhino in the entire world. The Soological Society is not looking to sell one of their most valuable assets to a company. SWPI operates for profit, and would change the way the park and it's research functions.

And before people start whining about how the park sucks, give it another chance. It's done a complete 720° turnaround from just a few short years ago. Yes, the original Tram is gone. Yes, the new one isn't as long (however you do get pretty close to all the exhibits). If they ever build the second Tram loop for Asia, then the park will finally be complete again. As it stands, the Asian area of the park still feels like it's stuck in the 1980's, and is deteriorating.

So to summarize for all the people who skimmed the post and decided not to read the wall of text, SWPI will most likely NEVER be acquiring The San Diego Zoo's Wild Safari Park.
TPR's Biggest Legoland Nerd, and proud!

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby darklingscribe » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:07 am

SoCalCoasters wrote: Now, to address all this talk about "Busch Gardens Wild Animal Safari Park".... :|

The San Diego Zoo's Wild Animal Park (formerly The Wild Animal Park) is actually looking the best it ever has right now. They've drastically improved and remodeled several guady areas of the park, adding a Bat enclosure and a play gardens for families, and removing the eyesore upcharge portable motion simulator . Sure, the focus of the park has shifted to a variety of Upcharge experiences in addition to their normal lineup, but there's no reason to complain when their normal lineup is still 100x better than your average zoo.

I can't see SeaWorld Parks Entertainment looking to acquire this, mainly because the park operates on a Not For Profit basis. The park does tremendous amounts of animal research and development, and their African Plain area hold the very last Southern White Rhino in the entire world. The Soological Society is not looking to sell one of their most valuable assets to a company. SWPI operates for profit, and would change the way the park and it's research functions.

And before people start whining about how the park sucks, give it another chance. It's done a complete 720° turnaround from just a few short years ago. Yes, the original Tram is gone. Yes, the new one isn't as long (however you do get pretty close to all the exhibits). If they ever build the second Tram loop for Asia, then the park will finally be complete again. As it stands, the Asian area of the park still feels like it's stuck in the 1980's, and is deteriorating.

So to summarize for all the people who skimmed the post and decided not to read the wall of text, SWPI will most likely NEVER be acquiring The San Diego Zoo's Wild Safari Park.

This really needed to be said. Both the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal park do a lot for animal conservation and research and I get the feeling that it would be a big loss for the world if either one were bought out by a for profit company.

I agree it would be nice if there was a Busch Gardens on the west coast once again and San Diego would be a great location, but there really isn't a need for it to be converted from an existing park or zoo. Legoland didn't need to buy and convert an existing tourist spot to be successful.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby nighguy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:00 pm

The dolphins still aren't back in the atlantis aquarium. In fact, after the refurb of atlantis they removed all mention of the dolphins from the ride. Hope that means they're coming to Aquatica.
Also, I drove by aquatica two days ago and it looks like they have a lot of work to do to have it open by June. They had 2 slide towers re painted and a couple buildings torn down, but I couldn't see much other work done.

Young and Stupid! I blame my parents.

Postby SoCalCoasters » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:57 am

nighguy wrote:The dolphins still aren't back in the atlantis aquarium. In fact, after the refurb of atlantis they removed all mention of the dolphins from the ride. Hope that means they're coming to Aquatica.
Also, I drove by aquatica two days ago and it looks like they have a lot of work to do to have it open by June. They had 2 slide towers re painted and a couple buildings torn down, but I couldn't see much other work done.

What changes were made to Joruney to Atlantis? I assume you're referring to the dolphins in the elevator scene have been removed along with their real life counterparts?
TPR's Biggest Legoland Nerd, and proud!

Resident Nintendo Freak

Postby Rocket Rodder » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:37 pm

This is good to hear. I like my "local" sea world, and I'm glad that they're doing things to take even better care of it!

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby darklingscribe » Sat May 25, 2013 11:23 am

So this is set to open on the 1st of June, in other words next saturday.

I am really tempted to go on Wednesday the 5th, middle of the week, for a few hours and bring my GoPro. It is the only waterproof camera I have and I want to take some photos to post a trip Report here.

Anyone up for a TPR meetup?

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby Aceattack52 » Sat May 25, 2013 7:15 pm

^ Sounds like fun, and I'll be in the area for the 5th, but I have a jam packed scheduled of things I have to do. If I'm ever over by your end again I'll be sure to let you know.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sat May 25, 2013 7:19 pm

TPR will be there covering the park on Thursday!

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Xmeister » Sat May 25, 2013 7:43 pm

Despite there not being any "new" slides I'm really happy with this transformation. Last time I was there the park was not in good shape and I'd rather them take the time to bring the park up to par, even if it means no new slides this year.

The landscaping is beautiful!!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!