NEWS: Knott's Soak City to become Aquatica San Diego

Page 7: Taumata Mat Racer Slides Announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Re: NEWS: Knott's Soak City to become Aquatica San Diego

Postby Double0Kevin » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:56 pm

^I think he more meant CF just selling in general. I could see them getting rid of Palm Springs but I would never think SeaWorld would buy it.

It would be amazing if there was a BG park in the San Diego area. Talk about a strong hold on the local market and an advancement for San Diego as a theme park destination. Now do I think it will happen? No, at least not any time soon, but one can dream.

A village is missing its IDIOT!

Postby XYZ » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:15 pm

jedimaster1227 wrote:^While it is a distinct possibility that Cedar Fair may be considering selling some more of its "one-off" properties, I can't imagine SeaWorld buying any more of the California parks at this time. With Aquatica San Diego now on the way they've got California doubly covered, as they do with San Antonio and (to a much larger extent) Central Florida. I see Aquatica San Diego supporting the nearby SeaWorld and also grabbing a better foothold in the surrounding market. Having a third SeaWorld park outside of San Diego would likely cannibalize the business there..

I was thinking that CF was just going to sell it, I don't believe that SeaWorld will purchase CF's Soak City property in Palm Springs.

Double0Kevin wrote:It would be amazing if there was a BG park in the San Diego area. Talk about a strong hold on the local market and an advancement for San Diego as a theme park destination. Now do I think it will happen? No, at least not any time soon, but one can dream.

I would be VERY happy if Busch Gardens came to San Diego. Big coasters in my beautiful county is something that I would extremely enjoy. Though, the possibility of that happening is basically 0.
1: Lightning Run, 2: El Toro, 3: Maverick, 4: Xcelerator, 5: Voyage, 6: TTD, 7: Gold Striker, 8: El Loco (Vegas), 9: Millennium Force, 10: Kingda Ka
Coaster Credits: 110 (89 steel, 21 wood); Last Coaster Credit: Raptor (CP) [8/22/14]; Last Park Credit: Waldameer [8/21/14]
What a season pass??

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby Nyteowl » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:07 pm

XYZ wrote:
jedimaster1227 wrote:^While it is a distinct possibility that Cedar Fair may be considering selling some more of its "one-off" properties, I can't imagine SeaWorld buying any more of the California parks at this time. With Aquatica San Diego now on the way they've got California doubly covered, as they do with San Antonio and (to a much larger extent) Central Florida. I see Aquatica San Diego supporting the nearby SeaWorld and also grabbing a better foothold in the surrounding market. Having a third SeaWorld park outside of San Diego would likely cannibalize the business there..

I was thinking that CF was just going to sell it, I don't believe that SeaWorld will purchase CF's Soak City property in Palm Springs.

Double0Kevin wrote:It would be amazing if there was a BG park in the San Diego area. Talk about a strong hold on the local market and an advancement for San Diego as a theme park destination. Now do I think it will happen? No, at least not any time soon, but one can dream.

I would be VERY happy if Busch Gardens came to San Diego. Big coasters in my beautiful county is something that I would extremely enjoy. Though, the possibility of that happening is basically 0.

I agree a Busch Gardens in California again would be awesome. Whenever I'm driving with my mom and we pass by the Miller brewery she'll say "Hey that used to be Busch Gardens!" I was really confused the first time I heard it because I wasn't alive when it was still around haha :).

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Xmeister » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:49 am

I'm so excited for another great attraction in San Diego. :b With Legoland, the San Diego Zoo, The Wild Animal Park (aka Safari Park), Sea World, and now this, I think our collection of parks is world class. Despite the lack of many great coasters. But what we do have strength in is our animal attractions.

However I must say this, I can't imagine that Sea World hasn't looked at the Wild Animal Park as a possible future addition to their family of parks. The way the WAP is being run right now is pretty awful. With the monorail being replaced by an upcharge tram ride that isn't nearly as good, and how it seems like the park has narrowed it's focus to up charge attractions, I'd be excited as hell to have the park become a Busch Gardens.

Do I think it's a possibility? Sure.

Do I think it's likely? I honestly cannot say because I never expected Soak City to become Aquatica.

I think a couple of issues would need to be resolved first.

First, I would have to think that the Zoological Society of San Diego would want control of the field enclosures that the park is famous for. Not for the benefits of the visitors, but for the animals due to the fact that the Society has been able to contribute to the saving of several different endangered species thanks to the enormous field enclosures. Maybe Sea World could run actual the park while the Zoological Society could take care of the animals?

Also I think many a resident would complain about the increased traffic on San Pasqaul Road and that San Diegans would be up in arms if the park changed too much. However I think that a huge amount of the park that we've grown to love is gone. One of the huge savannahs is almost completely unaccessible to visitors now, many of the exhibits have shrunk over the years, and certain portions of the park are completely abandoned (Tembo Stadium, certain food and drink stands, that beautiful bridge by the incline up from the lower part of the park to name a few.)

So I have to say that I would have SeaWorld take over in a heart beat over what the park has become now. Sure, some of the upcharge attractions are cool. But it's very sad that a large portion of the attractions are now an upcharge. Whereas before the vast majority of the park was accessible with the purchase of admission AND it included an amazing monorail tour that is over twice as long as the current tour that is now an upcharge. Now I love many aspects of the park, I just think that some changes over the years have been unfortunate.

In the end however I think either SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment partnering with the Zoological Society at the WAP, or a complete buyout of the park wouldn't be a bad thing. I would prefer the former as opposed to the latter however due to the fact that year after year, the contributions of the Zoological Society of San Diego to our world can never be overstated when it comes to their work with animals.

But this is just complete speculation and my opinions so do take everything I've said with a grain of salt.

I'll end this post by saying again how excited I am about Aquatica! =)

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby Mean Streak » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:53 am

Cedar Fair should not have sold they just should have put it in the water park in the park by taking out a ride

Postby Wes » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:22 pm

Mean Streak wrote:Cedar Fair should not have sold they just should have put it in the water park in the park by taking out a ride

what

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby simaticable » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:32 pm

^ You're guess is as good as any.
Schwarzkopf was a genius; anything less makes you a moron. ;)

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Gav » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:10 pm

Mean Streak wrote:Cedar Fair should not have sold they just should have put it in the water park in the park by taking out a ride

But has Cedar Fair ever been so far decided, to want even go to do more like?

In all seriousness, here's my English translation of mean streaks post:

"Cedar Fair should not have sold Soak City. Busch should have put in Aquatica on their own land at Sea World by removing an existing attraction at Sea World and using the space.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby MrSum1_55 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:24 pm

The reason why Soak City was bought out is probably clear: Busch water a water park on territory, but that would not have made sense with the competition. Therefore, they simply bought out what would had been the competition, so they could, in the easiest way, have a park of their own.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby simaticable » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:30 pm

In the end both parties benefited, so it's a great thing.
Schwarzkopf was a genius; anything less makes you a moron. ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!